The Arrogance of Some of You

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Starting mid-late last season. Some people refused to acknowledge this teams glaring weaknesses because we happened to be winning and scoring at will.

Nobody complained a whole lot about our abysmal defense because we happened to be forcing turnovers.

Not many people, if any were on board with the fact that we needed some semblance of a ground game that could yield more than 30 yards a game, especially with how bad our offensive line has been getting.

Saying we didn't need a run game because our passing game was so good. Thinking that nobody would figure out how to stop us, once again when we already have a hard enough time protecting the franchise.

In Ted We Trust, Indeed.

Seriously, we're overrating this guy. We win a single SB under his management with a record of 10-6 where we barely made it in and suddenly he's Jesus Christ of Nazareth. The mark of great players, coaches, managers, and personnel in this league is consistency.

We draft 2 OL in the first round of the last 3 drafts and still have a porous line. Although Sherrod is injured so I'll let that slide a little.

God knows how many defensive players drafted this year. Yet it's still the same defense. Solid against the run, mediocre against the pass and straight up awful on 3rd down. 3rd down and long and it's an automatic first down because receivers and tight ends are running wide open down the field for easy conversions. Maybe Capers isn't that great.

Our offensive line can't protect. Newhouse is a human turnstile and Bulaga has regressed a great deal.

We let Philbin walk and given our offensive woes, I think we may have underestimated how important he was to this team and our preparation.

MM has no poise when the going gets rough. He panics and completely abandons the run when we get behind or even worse when a team starts to nip a our heels on the scoreboard. Pass, Pass, Pass every down. It's not wonder with our line and the playcalling that Rodgers can't stay upright for more than 2 seconds. In the Seattle game MM is calling play-action passes when he's yet to give Ced a single carry and then stands there bewildered on the sideline when the defense doesn't bite on the fake and Rodgers is on the turf.

Now granted our offensive struggles might have a bit to do with Jenning's issues, but even when our receivers are all in there, we have nobody that can beat press coverage. Our offense is pure finesse with the exception of Nelson and that's not saying a whole lot. No physical presence at all.

Rodgers is also no saint. It would be nice if he'd just throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a sack every time there is pressure. I'm starting to question how important his stats are to him. Our receivers are already having a hard enough time catching the football. But then instead of throwing it out of bounds and keep the drive manageable he takes a 6 yard sack and digs us in a hole, wherein we then call a WR screen that goes for nothing.

I don't feel good, rightfully about the rest of this season. Especially if these injuries to Raji and Benson are significant.

And with our pass protection, MM playcalling and Benson's status. I fear a shitload of sacks and possible injury to Rodgers next week when we play Houston.

/rant

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

We let Philbin walk and given our offensive woes, I think we may have underestimated how important he was to this team and our preparation.

Okay. Rant all you want, but expect dumb statements to be identified as such. I'm not sure if you're the one who said this same thing 2 weeks ago, but the Packers did NOT let Philbin go. He was offered a HC job and no coach is obligated to stay in any contract when offered an upgraded position with another team. Hopefully this is the last we hear of any "Packers should have kept Philbin" nonsense.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Philbin maybe the issue

And yes we didnt let him walk..Wish people would understand that

Reaction score
I think it would be better to just start over. At least the hype will die and everything will return to reality. This will be the Brett Favre era all over again. One Superbowl under Rodgers and we'll see you back in another 15-20 years. This team has let it's mild success get the best of them. They did better in the commercials than on the field. It's pathetic that this team lost it's heart along with the fact that MM plays with no sac whatsoever. It's a long road ahead.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Starting mid-late last season. Some people refused to acknowledge this teams glaring weaknesses because we happened to be winning and scoring at will.

Nobody complained a whole lot about our abysmal defense because we happened to be forcing turnovers.

Not many people, if any were on board with the fact that we needed some semblance of a ground game that could yield more than 30 yards a game, especially with how bad our offensive line has been getting.

Saying we didn't need a run game because our passing game was so good. Thinking that nobody would figure out how to stop us, once again when we already have a hard enough time protecting the franchise.

In Ted We Trust, Indeed.

Seriously, we're overrating this guy. We win a single SB under his management with a record of 10-6 where we barely made it in and suddenly he's Jesus Christ of Nazareth. The mark of great players, coaches, managers, and personnel in this league is consistency.

We draft 2 OL in the first round of the last 3 drafts and still have a porous line. Although Sherrod is injured so I'll let that slide a little.

God knows how many defensive players drafted this year. Yet it's still the same defense. Solid against the run, mediocre against the pass and straight up awful on 3rd down. 3rd down and long and it's an automatic first down because receivers and tight ends are running wide open down the field for easy conversions. Maybe Capers isn't that great.

Our offensive line can't protect. Newhouse is a human turnstile and Bulaga has regressed a great deal.

MM has no poise when the going gets rough. He panics and completely abandons the run when we get behind or even worse when a team starts to nip a our heels on the scoreboard. Pass, Pass, Pass every down. It's not wonder with our line and the playcalling that Rodgers can't stay upright for more than 2 seconds. In the Seattle game MM is calling play-action passes when he's yet to give Ced a single carry and then stands there bewildered on the sideline when the defense doesn't bite on the fake and Rodgers is on the turf.

Now granted our offensive struggles might have a bit to do with Jenning's issues, but even when our receivers are all in there, we have nobody that can beat press coverage. Our offense is pure finesse with the exception of Nelson and that's not saying a whole lot. No physical presence at all.

Rodgers is also no saint. It would be nice if he'd just throw the ball out of bounds instead of taking a sack every time there is pressure. I'm starting to question how important his stats are to him. Our receivers are already having a hard enough time catching the football. But then instead of throwing it out of bounds and keep the drive manageable he takes a 6 yard sack and digs us in a hole, wherein we then call a WR screen that goes for nothing.

I don't feel good, rightfully about the rest of this season. Especially if these injuries to Raji and Benson are significant.

And with our pass protection, MM playcalling and Benson's status. I fear a shitload of sacks and possible injury to Rodgers next week when we play Houston.

/rant
GREEEEAAAT RANT

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Philbin maybe the issue

And yes we didnt let him walk..Wish people would understand that

Whatever the method of him not being here anymore, the point is I think we underestimated his importance. It was MM's offense, but preparation is a huge part of success in games.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Whatever the method of him not being here anymore, the point is I think we underestimated his importance. It was MM's offense, but preparation is a huge part of success in games.

I agree 100% about Joe...

Since he has been gone the offense looks crappy

12theTruth

Where is the adversity quotient of the team? I thought that was McCarthy's calling card. This team folds far too easily. Who are WE to know if Philbin is that big of a blow? From what I've seen the transition to Saturday at C has caused constant confusion and could be the main reason Aaron Rodgers looks despondent out there. Not excusing A-Rod for his poor performance today just stating that uncertainty does not breed success especially when it comes to the protection of who had been considered the BEST QB in the entire league

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the adversity quotient of the team? I thought that was McCarthy's calling card. This team folds far too easily. Who are WE to know if Philbin is that big of a blow? From what I've seen the transition to Saturday at C has caused constant confusion and could be the main reason Aaron Rodgers looks despondent out there. Not excusing A-Rod for his poor performance today just stating that uncertainty does not breed success especially when it comes to the protection of who had been considered the BEST QB in the entire league

Rodgers is not the same as last year...

Just talking now on milwaukee station..How hurtful is Saturday to this offense?

OP
OP
Southpaw

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Rodgers is not the same as last year...

Just talking now on milwaukee station..How hurtful is Saturday to this offense?

Rodgers is still as great as he's been. Accuracy is a little off. But we have injured personnel, terrible protection and I think defensive coordinators have figured out how to slow down our offense and MM doesn't seem to know how to adapt or make adjustments.

Rodgers and his issues with holding onto the ball and taking sacks instead of throwing out of bounds were evident last year as well.

Reaction score
Our line sucks to high heaven right now. I thought we fixed it. This is 2010 all over again but this time no playoffs for us.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Went up by 21-3....Figured we got this, no need to try hard...

rodgers tosses int and they get Td...

Wham crowd is in it and next thing you know they are losing

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. A team that sux doesn't hand the Bears their lunch in a convincing fashion.

The evidence is 2-3 and probably 2-4 after next week. Yeah we beat up on the Bears, what do you have for me lately? *****footed it throught he Hawks game which granted we should have a winning number, but we played like crap and made the game too close. Then we escaped with a win against NO. Yep escaped is the word. Then we lose to the Colts. 2-3 is about right.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I agree with that, but you specifically blamed the packers for letting him go.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The evidence is 2-3

Correction- we're 3-2. I don't care what the records say, we f***ing beat Seattle. *

*I know the record is official and is all that matters, but I refuse to acknowledge the game against Seattle as a loss. It wasn't. We won.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew and said that "things change fast in today's NFL", but I didn't expect this.
Or the Vikings to be 4-1.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To the Op: Yes, in Ted we Trust, indeed. We went to the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 years under Ted Thompson and Mike McCarthy, which includes earning a berth to two NFCCG's and winning a Super Bowl, so any point you tried to make is mostly moot.

We've hit a rough patch at this point in the season, and I've pretty much resigned myself to us being 2-4* at the end of next week. However, that's not to say we can't get it rolling and turn things around. This season hasn't been completely written yet.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Correction- we're 3-2. I don't care what the records say, we f***ing beat Seattle. *

*I know the record is official and is all that matters, but I refuse to acknowledge the game against Seattle as a loss. It wasn't. We won.
That's correct.
As bad as our offense was that night, we won the game and our defense played great.
3-2.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`m sorry to make this point but two seasons ago TT was God in human form as was son of god MM, and now they are killing the team ???? My dad used to do this regularly with his beloved Liverpool in the Premiership. Next we will be calling for thier heads on spikes !!!! We need to at least give them a chance to turn it around this season before behaving like Bear fans !!!! I`m disappointed sure, but it ain`t over until the fat lady sings and its only the start of the show.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score

In Ted We Trust, Indeed.

/rant
I, for one heard quite a bit of complaining, worry and uncertainess on this forum and elsewhere directed to our defense over the past 2 years.

In Ted We Trust? Sarcasm, I'm guessing. But has he not turned one of the oldest and talent depleted rosters under his tenure to the consistently youngest and most talented? 1 Super Bowl is 1 Super Bowl also. I mean, statistically speaking, we should only win one every 32 years. So winning a Super Bowl is nothing to sneeze at.

Agree with you on Capers possibly being overrated. Time will tell. But our defense HAS improved on our 3 biggest problems last year- tackling, pass rush and communication.

Porous O-Line? If you want to see a porous O-line head over to Chicago. Yes, this group has struggled this year. But apart from a few blown individual assignments over the course of 2 halves of football, this group has faired out pretty well.

I, personally don't see Philbin as the reason our offense has been inconsistent. I see mostly the same things now, that I saw in the Chiefs game when he was coaching last year. Defenses have figured us out. Not a lot any coordinator with not-a-lot of control over the offense can do about it.

MM has no poise? MM has the most poise of any coach in the league! And sometimes I fault him for that. Like when we got ROBBED at SEA he wouldn't even bring up the refs. He was commended from around the league on his poise after that debacle. When we're down you might hear him "express" his dissapointment after the game. But not very often do you see him single out a player on the team and give him a piece of his mind. It's just not McCarthy's way. He's a calm potatoe.

I'm not going to deny that injuries could hurt us or that HOU isn't a tough opponent. But hey, we started 3-3 in 2010 and ended up doing alright.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, and some people still believe that the US government planned 9/11. I think most fans recognized both our crappy bend-and-sometimes-break defense a need for offensive balance. Are you yelling at the 1% here or the rest of us?

In Ted We Trust, Indeed.
Really, you think that this is because we don't have the right horses? Better question...do you think that it was a fluke that we won the playoffs despite the players we had, or do you think that we get torched because our coaches can't get the rights schemes in place and adjust to changes? I'd bet my house, my money, and my mother (who's a mild Packer fan) on the coaching staff. You've got a TT issue to resolve with your therapist. You don't win the Super Bowl and then go 15-1 without a darn good crop of players in place.

I can agree with most of your other points.

To me, the offensive and defensive coordinators are not getting the job done. I know that I've defended Capers on the "Fire Capers" thread, and I still think that he's a good coach, but he needs a kick in the pants:

-OFFENSE-
Our receivers have been blanketed by the Giants (2011 playoffs), 49ers, Seattle, and now Colts. Absolutely blanketed at times. I'm pretty sure that Nelson, Jones, Cobb, Finley, and Jennings (when healthy) are still good receivers. I believe that we aren't getting the right matchups and exploiting defenses the way that we used to do.

It's quite obvious that we, like most teams through out history, do better with a running game. MM deserves credit for giving Bensen more opportunities, but he needs to REALLY commit. Let's run it to day light.

-DEFENSE-
It seems like today exemplified what we've seen all season. Sacks, pressure, and layout D's on defense followed by players wide open down the field. It goes back and forth. One minute it looks like we've got nothing but play makers, and the next minute we look horrible. That is scheme. You can't tell me that our guys are that dumb that they consistently make coverage mistakes. It's either the wrong defenses being called or the defense is too complicated for a typical player to understand.

One way or another, Capers needs to figure out these problems. He's got a great crop of players, Pro Bowlers at each level, and good depth. He's got to figure things out.

Things are not f'd up here. Yes we are 2-3 but I'm still not worried. We've got new coaches in place, a new RB, and lots of rookies on the defensive side. I may be proven wrong by the end of the season but I tend to be an optimist. I am hopeful that they can turn this around.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts