1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

The Amish

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Mushroom, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom Packer Owner/Shareholder

Ratings:
    +106
    Im not quite sure why, but I am fascinated by them! Its like they're time travelers, just went the wrong way or something.
    I kinda wish they'd let me hang out with em for a day, show me how soft I really am, lol

Anybody have any cool Amish stories to share? I bet some of you from afar haven't ever even seem em before....!? California and what-not...

One time about 6 years ago I was a passenger in a car that had gotten in to an accident out in the middle of nowhere (Grant Co WI) and within like 3 minutes there were a half dozen Amish gathered around helping out. They must've came from the corn field because there weren't any dwellings for miles on that road. Ever seen Children Of The Corn? It kinda reminded me of that a little bit, and by the time the cops got done with me, they were gone, like a fart in the wind...Twas pretty creepy!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spanish Rose

Spanish Rose Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    haha me and my family use to up to lancaster PA and visit the amish every summer... pretty boring but interesting at the same time.. if you ever decide to visit make sure to hit up the pretzel making store... the amish show you how to twist a pretzel and they are delicious lol

3. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +106
    Man, I hear everything they make is pretty balls-out-badass. I run in to em out in the boonies every so often and when we go camping.
    I dont know why, but they're like a train wreck to me, I cannot look away.
    I have some other 'mushroom' buddies that go out there and get horse poo for their grows and say that they're pretty damn decent folk.
    Lancaster Co huh? Thats like Amish Manhattan from what I hear!

4. AmishMafia

AmishMafia Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,226
    Thanks! I'm touched by your considerate thoughts

• Like Like x 2
  5. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,273
    my cousin married an ex amish guy. Nice guy.

Cant imagine going up amish then going out to see the world at 18. Farm to a place like vegas? would blow someones mind

6. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +106
    There was this documentary called Devils Playground that followed some Amish kids during their 'Rumspringa'. My g/f and I call it 'Amish Gone Wild'. It was crazy.
    I rented a movie last night called WITNESS. It has Harrison Ford and he goes to live with an Amish community for a few weeks. It was a good flick. I seen Amish Mafia's grandmother. She looks like a nice woman :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Powarun

Powarun Big Bay Blues fan

Ratings:
    +420
    I was driving behind an Amish person on my way back from Green Bay when we went against the Giants this winter. I felt bad for them for it was so cold, and their buggy reminded me of a coffin. They seem to be pretty darn good people, and make good bakery items. There is also good Amish bakery in Sun Prairie off of main st.

8. White92

White92 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I see a lot of them here in downtown Chicago at Union Station. Apparently train travel isn't against their rules.

A funny story from my buddy in college, not sure if it's true.

He said that him and some buddies were drinking in some little bar in Eau Clare. An Amish guy walks in and tells the guys there that they need to diversify the gene pool and offers the guys money to have a go at one of their women. He says one of his frinds took him up on it. The Amish guy led my buddies friend to a barn where a woman was brought out covered in a sheet. She bends over and the whole transaction is over in a matter of minutes without the guy ever seeing the woman's face.

I don't know if I believe it. He used to read a lot of Penthouse Forum..

9. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I've heard that Amish throw the most sick punk rock parties ever!

10. IluvGB

IluvGB I <3 Packers!!!!

Ratings:
    +850
    I got this the other day... I thought it would go good in this thread!

An Amish woman was driving her buggy to town when a highway patrol officer stopped her.

"I'm not going to cite you," said the officer. "I just wanted to warn you that the reflector on the back of your buggy is broken and it could be dangerous."

"I thank thee," replied the Amish lady. "I shall have my husband repair it as soon as I return home."

" Also," said the officer, "I noticed one of your reins to your horse is wrapped around his testicles. Some people might consider this cruelty to animals so you should have your husband check that too."

"Again I thank thee. I shall have my husband check this when I get home.

" True to her word, when the Amish lady got home, she told her husband about the broken reflector. He said he would put a new one on immediately.

" Also," said the Amish woman, "the policeman said there was something wrong with the emergency brake."

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kitten

Kitten Feline Cheesehead Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,442
    Growing up in the Philly area, my family used to take a lot of day trips up to Lancaster, PA, (Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch Country) just to get out and away from the city. It's a different world over there. I used to compare and contrast that to the city and it's startling. All that open field and open space, you can breathe out there. Things seem a little simpler. It was my favorite place to visit as a child. As an adult, we still go there from time to time, like the PA Renaissance Faire in the fall. It really is a nice place to visit and bring your family. Also a nice place to go for a motorcycle ride if you're into such things!

12. Mushroom

Ratings:
    +106
    I wanna go to Lancaster co....There has been a bunch of Amish shows on Nat Geo recently....I DVR'd them all :)