The Amish In Control - Mock Draft

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, here we go with version 2. I still like guys from my first mock, but I purposely didn't reuse a single player. That makes it more interesting and also gets me more picks on the books so that I might actually get a few right.

First draft:

1 Trade for 2nd and 3rd.
2a Ryan Shazier Ohio State ILB
2b Deone Buchannon S Washington
3a Donte Moncrief WR
3b Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB
3c [Comp] Zack Kerr NT – 6’1” 322.
4th Josh Mauro DE Stanford – 6’6” 280#
5 Justin Britt OT
6a Ronald Powell OLB
6b [Comp] Marcel Jensen TE Fresno State
7 Darwin Cook S WV

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/amish-taking-control-of-gm-duties.50242/

Here we go with version 2:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Murphy, Thompson, and McCarthy discussing auto lease vrs purchase while Amish 'recruitment consultants' can be seen discussing draft plans in back room.

1.21 Ha'Sean Clinton-Dix S 6'1" 208

I don’t know that he will be available at 21. I think he will drop lower than he should because of over-analysis. The guy is an all-around football player with great understanding and passion for the game. There are several players the Packers could go with this pick. CJ Mosley (my favorite) / Mike Evans WR (should go top 10 but because there are so many very good WRs this year, you can get a good one in the 3rd round – 6’5” with amazing body control/athleticism. Although we don’t need a WR, you can’t pass up a potential superstar) / Ryan Shazier (athleticism) / Eric Ebron (Finley who?)

2.53 Jordan Matthews WR 6’3” 212 Vanderbilt

Assuming we don’t get lucky and grab Evans in first, we get Matthews in the 2nd. A big guy who is very good at everything. Will be able to play from the get go and will develop into an impact player. Because of our already deep talent at WR, we should get a more raw guy who will be ready in his 2nd or 3rd year because we can get them later. But I like Matthews and think if there wasn’t such a great WR class this year, he would have gone in the 1st.

3.85 Christian Jones ILB 6’3” 234 Florida State

Can't read the entire jersey name, but how cool if his name is "HURTS". CJ is tremendous athletically, can do everything we ask. Versatile to play OLB as well. Good coverage skills. He played all over the field in for FS. He even played DE last season - his being moved around affected his stats considerably. I had Chris Borland at first but I have my doubts. I think his lack of athleticism will be exposed at the NFL level.

3.98 Justin Ellis NT 6'2" 334 - Louisiana Tech

Big guy who plays with reckless abandon. Plays with lots of enthusiasm and suddenness. Needs to learn technique and not just attack with everything he has on every play. Not a great athlete but could develop into quite a force at NT.

4.121 Walt Aikens CB 6'1" 205 Liberty

Perhaps the most athletic CB in the draft. Heavily recruited by major schools, he ended up going to Illinois. Was kicked off the team after found with a stolen laptop. Not sure what the story is there, but hopefully he grew up. Will take some work as he probably didn't get competitively challenged at the lower level of competition.

5.161 Terrence Brooks S 5'11" 198 Florida State

Yep, I'm double dipping at the safety spot. Brooks is too good to pass up at this point. Very athletic and tenacious. Started out as a CB, only got on the field last two seasons when he switched to Safety. An intelligent player who likes to hit and attacks the line of scrimmage. Will need a year or two as he is still learning the position.

5.176 Devon Kennard OLB 6’3” 239 USC

I am not sure why Kennard is projected to go so late. He seems like a very capable playmaker. He is also one of the better human beings in this years draft. Organized and promoted to various charities and organizations. Went to Hati to build houses for the poor one off-season.

6.197 Trai Turner OG 6'3" 310

Bit of a gamble here. Young player who should have stayed in school. Very powerful and quick. Does not play with control and quickly abandons proper form if he thinks he is going to be beat. Needs to trim some baby fat and could be a road grader of a G. Pick him in the hopes that his body develops a bit more and his lateral quickness improves. Right now he is an excellent run blocker, but needs work as a pass blocker. I think the 310 is before he eats breakfast.

7.236 Jeremy Butler WR 6'2" 218 UT-Martin

Uber stud at a small school. The thing is, he only played 2 years for UTM after transferring from a JC. He is still very raw, but there is a lot to like. Fast and quick, he has run in the low 4.4s - impressive for a big guy. He probably won't get drafted - I didn't see him on 2 top 400 lists I have. Anyway, I think he is worth a shot to keep on the practice squad for a year and see what he is.

There you have it.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Roster

QB Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB Lacy, Harris, Franklin, Starks
FB Kuhn
WR Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, (Matthews), Harper
TE Quarless, Bostic, Jake Stoneburner,
LT Bakhtiari, Sherrod
LG Sitton, Trettor
C Tretter, TJ Lang
RG TJ Lang, (Turner)
RT Bulaga, Barclay
(24)

DE Peppers, Datone Jones, Mike Daniels, Worthy, Guion
NT Raji, Boyd, (Ellis)
LOLB Perry, (Kennard), Palmer
LILB AJ Hawk, Lattimore,
RILB (Christian Jones), Brad Jones
ROLB CM3, Mulumba
CB Shields, Tramon, Hayward, House, (Aikens), Hyde
S (Clinton-Dix), Burnett, Hyde, Richardson, (Brooks)
(27)

3 ST

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
222 views and not a single comment. No, yeahs, no nays. nothing.
:(
Roster

QB Rodgers, Flynn, Tolzien
RB Lacy, Harris, Franklin, Starks
FB Kuhn
WR Nelson, Cobb, Boykin, (Matthews), Harper
TE Quarless, Bostic, Jake Stoneburner,
LT Bakhtiari, Sherrod
LG Sitton, Trettor
C Tretter, TJ Lang
RG TJ Lang, (Turner)
RT Bulaga, Barclay
(24)

DE Peppers, Datone Jones, Mike Daniels, Worthy, Guion
NT Raji, Boyd, (Ellis)
LOLB Perry, (Kennard), Palmer
LILB AJ Hawk, Lattimore,
RILB (Christian Jones), Brad Jones
ROLB CM3, Mulumba
CB Shields, Tramon, Hayward, House, (Aikens), Hyde
S (Clinton-Dix), Burnett, Hyde, Richardson, (Brooks)
(27)

3 ST
24+27+3=54 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl
While no one formula for stacking an NFL roster is iron-clad, one rule in the NFL is: Teams are only allowed to have 53 players on their active roster.
What happened to Mike Neil? Beat out by Guion?
Don't think a 6th round project guard makes the original 53 man roster. Same for a 5th round safety. Maybe replaced by Bush for one more year?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually quite like this draft Amish. I have a man crush on Donte Moncrief though, but Matthews could be better. I'm glad that you have moved on from borland. I like the kid, but I think some on here are overrating him a bit.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks good to me. I also prefer Mosley in the 1st, but if HaHa falls I'd be just fine with choosing him.

I might throw Fiedorwicz in there at TE for the 3rd round comp pick or the 4th rounder if he's still around. Finley's probably gone and going with Quarless alone is risky.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd start looking at Borland at pick 65.
Matthews at 75. I'm not at all enthralled with anyone in this draft at pick 21. It's generally a lousy place to draft IMO.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
222 views and not a single comment. No, yeahs, no nays. nothing.

I like a lot of those guys you have on there. Great picks. I like your idea of trading out of first and getting extra 2nd and 3rd in this draft.

Baptiste: He looks like a more physical and even better athlete then Richard Sherman. The guy is tall and can jump "41 inch vertical". He also likes to come up and hit which some corners don't like to do. Might even be a guy that could move to safety.

Shazier: Adds speed to middle of the defense and his film does him well as a good tackler. Good bye brad Jones.

Bucannon: Makes defense tougher inside and can bring it. Has NFL body already.

Donte Mocrief: Speedy tall receiver that some scouts say runs "NFL ready routes"

I really like all those guys you had listed. I would Be "so happy" if TT drafts any of them. The only ones I would add are DT "Cauran Reid" Princeton and TE "Troy Niklas" Notre Dame. I also wouldn't be upset if Borland was taken instead of Shazier. With that group of guys it would make Defense immediately faster and tougher and meaner. I think another good find would be WR "Jeremy Gallon" Michigan. I know TT cant get all these guys but if done right could get most of them.

Last edited:

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many mocks have the packers taking an OG or center or something. People: How many olinemen has TT drafted that didn't play LT their senior year? I can't think of any. Lane Taylor was a guard but he wasn't drafted. TT want's everyone to have good feet for pass blocking. He doesn't seem to care much about "road graders". People like Sitton and Bulaga are nice now that we have a running game but it's never been his thing to draft the Larry Warfords of the world. Someone either on this site or on the nfl draft website was complaining about what a wasted pick Tretter was and that he was taken instead of Brian Schwenke, the center from Cal. I thought the same thing when they passed on Schwenke, but that was before I realized this pattern. That's also why they need to plan so far ahead for onlineman since they're probably going to have to learn a new position.

As for the rest of the draft, I like that someone is taking NT seriously. Raji is gone next year and there is no one on the roster who can play the nose the way it needs to be played to make our base defense work. Because of that, I'd be happy if they took Nix in the first. But yeah, if they get a sniff of Clinton-Dix, that'd be a great pick too.

I don't like all of the wideouts though. They're going to resign Nelson and Cobb and picking up some high-upside guy later in the draft and letting him return kicks for a year or two seems worthwhile. Taking a big name wideout early doesn't. WR, RB, QB, OG, and CB are all places that I think are luxury picks where NT, S, TE, ILB, OLB etc aren't.

Then again, the "best player available" approach is the smart way to go and the way that they claim they use, so who the hell knows.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like a lot of those guys you have on there. Great picks. I like your idea of trading out of first and getting extra 2nd and 3rd in this draft.

Baptiste: He looks like a more physical and even better athlete then Richard Sherman. The guy is tall and can jump "41 inch vertical". He also likes to come up and hit which some corners don't like to do. Might even be a guy that could move to safety.

Brooks: Being undervalued because of height. Same size as Earl Thomas and has that kind of speed, looks like he might be a better sure tackler.

Shazier: Adds speed to middle of the defense and his film does him well as a good tackler. Good bye brad Jones.

Bucannon: Makes defense tougher inside and can bring it. Has NFL body already.

Donte Mocrief: Speedy tall receiver that some scouts say runs "NFL ready routes"

I really like all those guys you had listed. I would Be "so happy" if TT drafts any of them. The only ones I would add are DT "Cauran Reid" Princeton and TE "Troy Niklas" Notre Dame. I also wouldn't be upset if Borland was taken instead of Shazier. With that group of guys it would make Defense immediately faster and tougher and meaner. I think another good find would be WR "Jeremy Gallon" Michigan. I know TT cant get all these guys but if done right could get most of them.

"Greasy fast mean speed"

Cauran Reid seems to be someone we already have on the roster in Worthy. Shorter guy, quick first step etc. Also, Borland over Shazier? Shazier seems like a crazy high pick with unreal upside. Totally not interchangeable with Borland in terms of what they bring.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cauran Reid seems to be someone we already have on the roster in Worthy. Shorter guy, quick first step etc. Also, Borland over Shazier? Shazier seems like a crazy high pick with unreal upside. Totally not interchangeable with Borland in terms of what they bring.
If we don't land Shazier, I would certainly like to land Borland.
And if we don't get either, I would like to get Max Bullough out of Michigan State.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:(

24+27+3=54 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1640782-the-anatomy-of-a-53-man-roster-in-the-nfl

What happened to Mike Neil? Beat out by Guion?
Don't think a 6th round project guard makes the original 53 man roster. Same for a 5th round safety. Maybe replaced by Bush for one more year?
You are right - I missed Neil for some reason and he should be on the roster. I am going to have to make some tough cuts on defense as I have too many players there. Probably Worthy odd man out - I don't have confidence he is coming back from the injury.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can't believe I didn't have a trade down. I bet TT trades down at least 3 times this draft. I could see us moving to the end of the 1st and getting a 3rd and then back into the early to mid 2nd and picking up another 3rd. Come away with 2 seconds and 4 3rds - TT could really do some good things. Maybe I will do one more mock with this scenario.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You are right - I missed Neil for some reason and he should be on the roster. I am going to have to make some tough cuts on defense as I have too many players there. Probably Worthy odd man out - I don't have confidence he is coming back from the injury.
My guesses are:
Guion and Worthy are competing for one roster spot, not necessarily the same one.
One of Palmer, Lattimore, Mulumba is replaced by a rookie.
Brad Jones and Tramon Williams are in a start or leave situation. Jones leaving may save one of the above.
Two defensive UDFA's make the roster.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I hope Worthy can come back from his injury and contribute but I think the reality is he was a reach in 2nd round. Caruan Reid can be gotten probably in 4th or maybe 5th. I think there is some good upside getting him there. I wouldn't be upset if they got either Borland or Shazier.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holy Hell... If I hear one more thing about Borland I'm going to kick a puppy! I mean seriously everyone loves this guy because he played for Wisconsin. Yes he has good football instincts, but he's far from an athlete and he's undersized. I know that London Fletcher was undersized, but he was an athlete. We don't need to become less athletic on that side of the ball. Plus he has an injury history which doesn't bode well for undersized linebackers. Can we just stop already...

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Holy Hell... If I hear one more thing about Borland I'm going to kick a puppy! I mean seriously everyone loves this guy because he played for Wisconsin. Yes he has good football instincts, but he's far from an athlete and he's undersized. I know that London Fletcher was undersized, but he was an athlete. We don't need to become less athletic on that side of the ball. Plus he has an injury history which doesn't bode well for undersized linebackers. Can we just stop already...

I think Chris Borland is going to be a pro-bowl 3-4 inside linebacker wherever he lands and it has nothing to do with him playing at Wisconsin. I will first rant off some "undersized middle linebackers": Chris Spielman, Ernie Mills, Zach Thomas, Mike Singletary, Borland obviously plays faster then his 40 time and I believe 40 time to be overrated at middle linebacker position. He did very well in 20 yard shuttle which shows he has great "side to side" speed and "change of direction speed". Borland has what they call "field speed." He is also one of the strongest linebackers in the drat. His low center of gravity allows him to shed blockers and attack. Lastly, I suggest you watch some film of Chris Borland which should eliminate any doubts that Chris Borland can play at a high level in the NFL. He is already better then any inside linebacker on roster.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Chris Borland is going to be a pro-bowl 3-4 inside linebacker wherever he lands and it has nothing to do with him playing at Wisconsin. I will first rant off some "undersized middle linebackers": Chris Spielman, Ernie Mills, Zach Thomas, Mike Singletary, Borland obviously plays faster then his 40 time and I believe 40 time to be overrated at middle linebacker position. He did very well in 20 yard shuttle which shows he has great "side to side" speed and "change of direction speed". Borland has what they call "field speed." He is also one of the strongest linebackers in the drat. His low center of gravity allows him to shed blockers and attack. Lastly, I suggest you watch some film of Chris Borland which should eliminate any doubts that Chris Borland can play at a high level in the NFL. He is already better then any inside linebacker on roster.

Well, he can't cover a TE so he's not going to take Jones (or whoever takes his spot) off the field. So he's a two down linebacker who'll be tough against the run, but does that mean he's supposed to take Hawk's place? Maybe he'll do Hawk's job better than him and take the position, but replacing Hawk with a slightly better version doesn't seem like the key to fixing the defense. Getting a guy like Mosley or Shazier who can cover TEs and stay on the field for three downs would be really, really nice.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well, he can't cover a TE so he's not going to take Jones (or whoever takes his spot) off the field. So he's a two down linebacker who'll be tough against the run, but does that mean he's supposed to take Hawk's place? Maybe he'll do Hawk's job better than him and take the position, but replacing Hawk with a slightly better version doesn't seem like the key to fixing the defense. Getting a guy like Mosley or Shazier who can cover TEs and stay on the field for three downs would be really, really nice.

If Mosley drops to 21 then obviously he is the guy. From what I've been seeing it sounds like he might be there at 21. I see Borland as a fall back in the second if he is even still on board then.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's had 3 shoulder surgeries and leg problems... he hasn't even played in the nfl yet. Two of the knocks on him are his ability to cover and shed blocks. He might be good, but he's not what this team needs. We are getting killed in the middle of the field already. He won't help that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
He's had 3 shoulder surgeries and leg problems... he hasn't even played in the nfl yet. Two of the knocks on him are his ability to cover and shed blocks. He might be good, but he's not what this team needs. We are getting killed in the middle of the field already. He won't help that.

So if TT gets Mosley in first then who would you take in second? That means Pryor and Dix are gone. A guy like Trent Murphy or Deone Buccanon assuming there both there?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if TT gets Mosley in first then who would you take in second? That means Pryor and Dix are gone. A guy like Trent Murphy or Deone Buccanon assuming there both there?

I'd grab Buccanon or Ward if they were there. I know the Pack are all about Trent, but I'm really tired of the attempts to turn a DE into an OLB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd grab Buccanon or Ward if they were there. I know the Pack are all about Trent, but I'm really tired of the attempts to turn a DE into an OLB.

I am tired of it too. I have been promoting Bucannon on here for a couple months now. It would be sweet if able to get Mosley and Bucannon in first two rounds. I know a lot of people see him as a strong safety but maybe Capers could use him an Burnett as more interchangeable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts