The Amari Rodgers Thread

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree, as a young rookie slot type receiver that is where he has shown progression from last year, into this preseason and even some in season games this year.

Where he has never really shown any kind of progress, hope or future is being that of a returner. I told people the beginning of this year the organization's decision to continue to ask the young man to do something he isn't cut out to be in the NFL is going to destroy and end his time with us in all avenues.

You are right, the above doesn't in any way erase Amari's mistakes which are plenty and still his fault...however he never should have been in the position for many of them to occur.
By the Packers’s own admission… they weren’t concerned with him not fielding the punt, they were concerned about his ball security after he caught it. That problem would not go away at WR.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say it again - the BIGGEST mistake with Amari was the organization continuing to force him to be the punt returner when he clearly showed IMO very uncomfortable mindset with his rookie year

The biggest mistake was drafting him in the first place and expecting him to play football at a passable level.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In his season and a half with the Packers he had 7 fumbles and 8 pass receptions. Wow.

*and if the Packers had never asked him to return punts he still would be left with... 8 pass receptions.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus sometimes I`m ashamed to be a Packer fan. One or two mistakes from a player and we want him out. They did it with Ross and when he was picked up by the Lions he was a great returner. Try getting behind a player instead of running them out of town so quickly. Love has been written off by many and he hasn`t had much support to see if he`s any good at times. JMHO
why are you being so difficult?? LOL Good to have you back.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That and should probably be banned from trading 4ths....

Traded two fourths to get Savage
Traded a fourth to get Love
Traded a fourth to get Amari

I've always been skeptical about trading picks to move up just a few spots, especially if you're trading anything other than a 6th or 7th rounders. Even for the very best, drafting is such a crapshoot that you're usually best off maximizing your picks rather than risking too many to go after one guy. None of these trades have panned out. The Love pick still could I suppose, but there's also a chance that he is never the starter in Green Bay.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been skeptical about trading picks to move up just a few spots, especially if you're trading anything other than a 6th or 7th rounders. Even for the very best, drafting is such a crapshoot that you're usually best off maximizing your picks rather than risking too many to go after one guy. None of these trades have panned out. The Love pick still could I suppose, but there's also a chance that he is never the starter in Green Bay.
Time to invest in better scouting talent and pay them better maybe.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Vikings or Bears will pick up Amari, pump him for information, then dump him when nobody is looking.

The good news. I doubt Amari knows/learned more than a play or 2 from the playbook.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is gonna go on a team like the chiefs and be utilized in the slot and end up being good lmaooo

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
LaFleur on Rodgers: “Amari, that one hurts a lot. I know how much this meant to him. He did everything we asked him to. He was a great teammate. He worked his tail off. You could see him really growing in terms of overall knowledge. But we are in a production-based business, and it’s unfortunate. It truly is. I feel for him. He’s a guy I have a lot of respect for and care for deeply. I’m confident he’s going to get another shot. Sometimes that’s the best thing for guys in this league. You go through a little bit of adversity and get a fresh start somewhere else. I wish him nothing but the best.”

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I never said he was good at the position but somebody in the organisation thought he could. THEIR mistake. Some scout saw something there to draft him in the first place, again THEIR mistake, but they are paid to do that job so they failed.
Good luck to him in the future.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't like us returning kick offs. We either have a penalty, or end up being inside the 20. If you make a fair catch in the field of play, or let it go into the end zone, you get it on the 25, and there's no risk of losing it, or being held deep.

As far as I can tell the team doesn't receive the ball on the 25 after a fair catch on a kickoff in the field of play but from the spot where the catch was made.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as I can tell the team doesn't receive the ball on the 25 after a fair catch on a kickoff in the field of play but from the spot where the catch was made.
The NFL rule:

On a kickoff, a player may make a fair catch inside the 25 yard line and the offense will start 1st & 10 at the 25. If a player makes a valid fair-catch signal, but a teammate catches the kick, it is still a dead ball and no return, but the offense will have 1st & 10 at the spot of the catch.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say it again - the BIGGEST mistake with Amari was the organization continuing to force him to be the punt returner when he clearly showed IMO very uncomfortable mindset with his rookie year...then he confirmed that role wasn't for him this year early on...YET WE KEPT PUTTING HIM BACK THERE.

He showed promise on routes, catching the ball this year on offense...but he ISN'T an NFL returner. The organization RUINED Amari from potentially being something IMO as much as Amari did as well...BOTH are at fault.
I couldn't agree more. I was about to post something similar.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's some progression between last year and this year but that's a pretty low bar to clear as he pretty much could only go up from last season.

As before though I'm pretty certain the only reason he got any looks this reason whatsoever is due to injuries elsewhere. Look at the offensive snap counts this season:

Week 1 - 0
Week 2 - 1
Week 3 - 3
Week 4 - 0
Week 5 - 1
Week 6 - 24 (Watkins, Watson out)
Week 7 - 16 (Cobb, Watson out; Watkins limited)
Week 8 - 28 (Cobb, Lazard out, Watson left with injury)
Week 9 - 19 (Cobb out, Doubs left with injury, Watson limited)
Week 10 - 6 (Cobb, Doubs out; Watkins+Watson return)

Progression or not it's pretty clear to me that the team more or less considered him a last-resort option when it comes to WR reps.
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the role of a back up to play when the starters are not available? I am not as adamant as tyni but I can only wonder if Amari's head was clear of his PR mistakes (he never should have made any this year because he never should have been back there this year) just how much progress he could have made as a WR.

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
I did just read something interesting that I kind of forgot about and helps put this season in a bit of perspective. The Packers traded up for Oren Burks and Amari Rodgers. They spent 4 third round picks and 1 fifth round pick on Burks, Rodgers, Sternberger and Deguara. A team needs to hit on those picks to have talent and be successful.

Amari Rodgers is just another player in a long list of bad moves in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will say it again - the BIGGEST mistake with Amari was the organization continuing to force him to be the punt returner when he clearly showed IMO very uncomfortable mindset with his rookie year...then he confirmed that role wasn't for him this year early on...YET WE KEPT PUTTING HIM BACK THERE.

He showed promise on routes, catching the ball this year on offense...but he ISN'T an NFL returner. The organization RUINED Amari from potentially being something IMO as much as Amari did as well...BOTH are at fault.
While I agree that Amari wasn't cut out for returning punts, I disagree that it "ruined" him. 2 rookies blew right by him on the depth chart and even Winfree got more snaps on offense when he was called up.

I can't believe they released him, if they thought he had potential to be a good WR. Seems they gave him one last shot to make it and that was as a punt returner, not a WR.

Members online

Latest posts