The Amari Rodgers Thread

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand where you are going
(I must be careful as I was recently scolded by a separate poster here for saying that) I simply do not believe this is a 1 man sport. If you think Jordan Love or Amari Rodgers or Christian Watson are unable to help their team play in a Super Bowl? Then I recommend writing the Packers FO and coaching staff and file a complaint. Maybe they will be more sympathetic about your plight than I am.:tup:

PS.
By chance.. were you a Minnesota native? You remind me of my best friend Keith who grew up a Cowboys bandwagon supporting fan
I see. If Keith were only a marginal friend you would be sticking up for him instead of throwing him some shade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah it's absolutely crazy to designate a roster spot for a kickoff returner.

I'm fine with the Packers trying Ballentine as a kickoff returner as long as they can elevate him from the practice squad.

I don’t like beating up on a guy when he’s improving week too week.

Amari hasn't improved from week to week though. Even with Watkins and Watson out for the Bucs game the Packers didn't even use him on offense with Winfree, who was elevated from the practice squad, receiving more snaps than him.

As far as feeling sorry for Watson? I’m not in the least bit worried about Christian Watson. He didn’t go in Round 2 because he gives up at the first hint of adversity. This might have been just the motivation he needed to put nerves behind him and play like a cat on fire. I already noticed with Watson that the comments about his speed not translating by several posters are total falsehood. In limited time, He ran by CB’s like they were fixed lampposts on a jog in the park.
Now comes the easy part.. catch the ball

If only it would be that easy to get rid of the drops.

Reaction score
Well the good news is that no one is gonna give up on Watson, a very early round 2 pick. He has to do his part of course. Speed is great, but I don't want MVS 2.0 - I wanna see a guy who can create separation and run a variety off routes. The long pass/bomb is fine and his speed will help him, but those plays are rare. He needs to be a well-rounded WR. And I hope catching the ball will be easy for him. It has to if he's gonna have a career in the NFL.
Yes. Just as you said they won't give up on a #34 selection for a long time and this isn't J'mon Moore. Christian already knows he dropped his first pass and from what I'm hearing from the mouth of his WR coach he's been practicing like he's on a mission from above. I just think him having knee surgery and missing camp and then being thrown a 50 yard bomb on play 1 in regular season is not a good indicator of mid or long-term success. I am please he came right back and caught every other pass thrown his way. Speaking of MVS, if you recall he would drop some long passes also, that didn't prevent us from using him with relative success. Christian Watson's floor is MVS, his ceiling is the sky. I won't be surprised if he has a couple of 100-yard games for us this season, there is a reason our GM traded TWO 2nd round draft selections to snatch him.

Reaction score
If only it would be that easy to get rid of the drops.
It is. Just say Beetlejuice 3 times and click your cleets
Amari hasn't improved from week to week though. Even with Watkins and Watson out for the Bucs game the Packers didn't even use him on offense with Winfree, who was elevated from the practice squad, receiving more snaps than him.
I was referring to Punt Returner. He had a decent day against Tampa and that was after having his 30-yard return erased by a bogus flag that had zero bearing on that play (by the way that negated points as I rewatched him run out of bounds at the Tampa 28 yard line) As far as Offense I don't know what to think? I did see him on several plays in motion but almost used like a decoy. He seemed to do better this Preseason and Camp, so I don't know what the answer to the million dollar question is with him and lack of usage on Offense?
I have a feeling we will find out what direction we go with him fairly soon

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. Just as you said they won't give up on a #34 selection for a long time and this isn't J'mon Moore. Christian already knows he dropped his first pass and from what I'm hearing from the mouth of his WR coach he's been practicing like he's on a mission from above. I just think him having knee surgery and missing camp and then being thrown a 50 yard bomb on play 1 in regular season is not a good indicator of mid or long-term success. I am please he came right back and caught every other pass thrown his way. Speaking of MVS, if you recall he would drop some long passes also, that didn't prevent us from using him with relative success. Christian Watson's floor is MVS, his ceiling is the sky. I won't be surprised if he has a couple of 100-yard games for us this season, there is a reason our GM traded TWO 2nd round draft selections to snatch him.
Very true about MVS.

D

Deleted member 6794

I was referring to Punt Returner. He had a decent day against Tampa and that was after having his 30-yard return erased by a bogus flag that had zero bearing on that play (by the way that negated points as I rewatched him run out of bounds at the Tampa 28 yard line)

I agree Amari has been decent as a punt returner. But other than that he doesn't offer a whole lot at this point.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree Amari has been decent as a punt returner. But other than that he doesn't offer a whole lot at this point.
I guess he falls in the middle as a punt returner. What is his average, around 8 yards? He just doesn't look like he has enough moves to get past the first wave of defenders.

As for kickoffs, opponents should try to get him to return. He's awful.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, you are so wise and patient and smart. Come see me when either of them are any good. Believe your eyes, they can't play.
Are we talking about Watson and Love? Well, do you think Bellichik would trade Frank Zappa straight up for Love? Neither do I. That kid settled down and almost got a win. Granted the running game did the most damage, but Frank Z made some nice throws when needed. So in one game Frank Z has done more than Love has done in three years, at least in terms of poise.

As for Watson, well if all we expected was MVS 2.0 without the rare catches and a guy who can motor on jet sweeps, then he fits the bill. I don't think I've seen him targeted on any other type of route through four games. Lazard, Cobb, and Doubs are at the top of this WR group and that likely won't change. I could see Doubs challenging Lazard for the #1 WR later in the season.

I'm not giving up on Watson but I don't matter. In Watson's case, Rodgers matters.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are we talking about Watson and Love? Well, do you think Bellichik would trade Frank Zappa straight up for Love? Neither do I. That kid settled down and almost got a win. Granted the running game did the most damage, but Frank Z made some nice throws when needed. So in one game Frank Z has done more than Love has done in three years, at least in terms of poise.

As for Watson, well if all we expected was MVS 2.0 without the rare catches and a guy who can motor on jet sweeps, then he fits the bill. I don't think I've seen him targeted on any other type of route through four games. Lazard, Cobb, and Doubs are at the top of this WR group and that likely won't change. I could see Doubs challenging Lazard for the #1 WR later in the season.

I'm not giving up on Watson but I don't matter. In Watson's case, Rodgers matters.

I thought this was the Amari Rodgers thread?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you wrote "Come see me when either of them are any good" - who were you writing about? Seemed like it was Watson and Love but apparently not.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I think you gotta just start looking at other options... OL, RB/HB, and WR on O are arguably the "smallest learning curve" you get out of a guy you draft. Every position to play in the NFL is difficult, due to the level of competition, but those 3 you would generally expect a fairly immediate impact

This isn't like a Rashan Gary situation where playing EDGE in a 3-4 can take time to learn/grasp in the NFl... and boy am I glad we really groomed and developed him...

Amari just isn't good, give another guy a chance

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yeah I think you gotta just start looking at other options... OL, RB/HB, and WR on O are arguably the "smallest learning curve" you get out of a guy you draft. Every position to play in the NFL is difficult, due to the level of competition, but those 3 you would generally expect a fairly immediate impact

This isn't like a Rashan Gary situation where playing EDGE in a 3-4 can take time to learn/grasp in the NFl... and boy am I glad we really groomed and developed him...

Amari just isn't good, give another guy a chance
Agree. It’s time to let Amari R sit for a while, even if it’s the PS. It’s simple, he’s just not good. He has no moves, no ability to break tackles, and not much speed. Next man up. I’d go with Watson. He’s not doing much on O. At least he’s fast.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree. It’s time to let Amari R sit for a while, even if it’s the PS. It’s simple, he’s just not good. He has no moves, no ability to break tackles, and not much speed. Next man up. I’d go with Watson. He’s not doing much on O. At least he’s fast.
right. I mean eventually you just gotta be real and "black/white"... has he produced? No, just let him sit or go to PS...

Even Gary, at least he had "something" in his early/developmental years ... some production which is "something"

At the end of the day it's "what has he done?"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right. I mean eventually you just gotta be real and "black/white"... has he produced? No, just let him sit or go to PS...

Even Gary, at least he had "something" in his early/developmental years ... some production which is "something"

At the end of the day it's "what has he done?"
Yeah it was weird when Gary was drafted. People were calling him an "athletic freak" and a "project" at the same time. But you could always see the underlying talent. He had to be coached up for the NFL, and he responded very, very well. Beyond a lot of expectations.

Reaction score
I’m not at all that attached to Amari, I really thought he’d be more involved in this Offense by now. He’d better shape up or ship out!
(Sorry I felt my Dad’s spirit pass through me there) :whistling:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Much like we eventually saw with Ty Montgomery, he is probably just one botched punt from being gone from the team. I would have more faith in him, if the Packers and #12 showed some in him on offense. They don't seem to have him in their plans and despite all the rumblings around the internet that he should be traded for some value, I just don't think he has a lot of value right now. Maybe a team that had him high on their 2021 draft board would give up a late 6th or 7th for him?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m not at all that attached to Amari, I really thought he’d be more involved in this Offense by now. He’d better shape up or ship out!
It seemed like you were a huge fan of Amari R, but I think after yesterday, it's obvious he's not getting anywhere. He's taking up a roster spot, he can't be used on offense. Time to give someone else a chance, like Watson. If they can design a return scheme setting an edge along the hash, he has the speed to kick it outside. It's easier said than done, but worth a shot. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have many moves once he has the ball other than speed.

The way I look at it, Gluten has made way more good calls than bad calls. Sometimes it's better to move a guy along. Who knows, he may light it up somewhere else. But as Frank Zappa said, "It Can't Happen Here,"

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like we eventually saw with Ty Montgomery, he is probably just one botched punt from being gone from the team. I would have more faith in him, if the Packers and #12 showed some in him on offense. They don't seem to have him in their plans and despite all the rumblings around the internet that he should be traded for some value, I just don't think he has a lot of value right now. Maybe a team that had him high on their 2021 draft board would give up a late 6th or 7th for him?
I agree. I don't think he has any trade value - but yeah, maybe someone would give up a late 6th or 7th. I'd certainly take it.

Finally, I'd let Watson return, at least kickoffs. (He's not a reliable catcher so punts.... probably not.). Let Bisaccia draw up something to leverage his speed. As for punt returns, ya got me. Cobb? He's not gonna break a long run but might get 20 or more yards now and then. Doubs? I'd rather let him focus on WR, there he has a chance to be #2 or #1 over time.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it was weird when Gary was drafted. People were calling him an "athletic freak" and a "project" at the same time. But you could always see the underlying talent. He had to be coached up for the NFL, and he responded very, very well. Beyond a lot of expectations.
He still had 2 sacks his rookie year which is "something " though

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He still had 2 sacks his rookie year which is "something " though
Definitely. He always showed what he could be. At MI, they didn't count on him for sacks as much as blowing up plays. Both are good!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did have one nice return towards the end of the half, but there was not enough time left to take advantage of it. Other than that, he was meh.

Green Bay had used him in the pre-season on all sorts of jet sweeps and gadget plays, but those snaps seem to have gone to Christian Watson since then. He's on the verge of becoming expendable.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers did have one nice return towards the end of the half, but there was not enough time left to take advantage of it. Other than that, he was meh.

Green Bay had used him in the pre-season on all sorts of jet sweeps and gadget plays, but those snaps seem to have gone to Christian Watson since then. He's on the verge of becoming expendable.
Yeah and I think the Pats were playing a "prevent defense" on that return before the first half. Rather than run the risk of Amari R getting outside, they protected the middle of the field and let Rodgers get his easy yards. You're right, he'c close to expendable. I can't imagine Bisaccia will stand for it for long. And it should be his call.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true. You say why are rookies Watson and Doubs now being a solid piece of the offense but second year Amari is not. That tells you something. At least with Ty Montgomery MM turned him into a RB. I doubt they can turn Amari into Desmond Howard.

Latest posts