The Amari Rodgers Thread

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we need an Amari Rodgers thread? No. However, there are now a few articles circulating on the internet about Amari being "primed" to have an improved Season #2. That shouldn't be hard since Season #1 was about as bad as could be without sustaining a major injury. Either way, I thought that this would be a great place for everyone to post their opinions, so that we can come back in a year or two and see how those predictions bore out.

He should be better this season. It would be nearly impossible to do worse without getting immediately cut. I think that he could emerge as our #3 or #4 receiver by the end of the season, but I will keep my expectations low.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he has the talent, but I think for some the lights get too bright and that was the case for him last year.

Felt too much pressure, too much thinking, something and it ate at his confidence. When he’s not thinking and just playing, I think he can take off.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are going to know about him pretty quickly this year. If he can't hang; they should not keep him. Certainly not for his punt returning.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think he has the talent, but I think for some the lights get too bright and that was the case for him last year.

Felt too much pressure, too much thinking, something and it ate at his confidence. When he’s not thinking and just playing, I think he can take off.
I rarely make a judgement after a first season. Mainly for what you said. Bringing Cobb back for the same role put a damper on him also.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, he has the talent to be good (I won't make any judgements on a rookie receiver until AFTER their third season). Second, anything coaches say this time of year about a player is complete BS and should be ignored completely.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, he has the talent to be good (I won't make any judgements on a rookie receiver until AFTER their third season). Second, anything coaches say this time of year about a player is complete BS and should be ignored completely.

Push back on the second part to the degree you have to know what to listen to and what to take as a grain of salt. The notes on the change physically for Amari should be noted because if a player committed himself to an offseason regiment which caused a transformation - his mind, heart and possibly approach were also all looked at and worked on potentially. It is an excellent sign for such things to occur. It's similar to how many heard of Tonyan's offseason workouts with Kittle changing him....so while it should not yield a conclusion, it is a great sign.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Push back on the second part to the degree you have to know what to listen to and what to take as a grain of salt. The notes on the change physically for Amari should be noted because if a player committed himself to an offseason regiment which caused a transformation - his mind, heart and possibly approach were also all looked at and worked on potentially. It is an excellent sign for such things to occur. It's similar to how many heard of Tonyan's offseason workouts with Kittle changing him....so while it should not yield a conclusion, it is a great sign.

Every player is in the best shape of their career around this time of year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every player is in the best shape of their career around this time of year.

Not true. Countless examples of guys letting themselves go more than they should in the offseason or dealing with nagging injuries....Zadarius this time last year...Eddie Lacy showed up bad....Jenkins injured now....even Tonyan will progress as season goes forth....time and time again this is not always the case.

However, let's go with it. I'm not talking about just being in good shape - when a guy physically transforms the makeup of his physic there is intense effort involved there. Whether that means he lowered his body fat percentage by say 5% but didn't drop a pound of weight, or say Slaton shows up leaned down and ready for more of a DE work for Barry than DT (this would have been an instruction I'd assume but just an example)...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the coaches know the only thing holding him back was his confidence. Amari was in good shape last year. IMO, his mind needed the work more than his physical conditioning. Once he understands the play calls and his role in them, and he's not thinking, just doing, everything is going to be faster, more crisp more precise and his confidence and production will show it.

Reaction score
You have nothing....such an easy claim with no reasoning....just feels wrong saying it.
Amen.
You gotta understand @tynimiller
This world expects immediate results! Yet is only willing to put in minimal to zero effort! ;)

It’s actually sad to see some people so critical so fast. I pray they don’t hold their own children to that standard

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even bother reading articles like that at this time of year. When someone says "this guy is a wasted pick. He falls asleep in meetings, his hands are terrible and he hits on half of the guys on the teams wives" I will then believe what I read.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not true. Countless examples of guys letting themselves go more than they should in the offseason or dealing with nagging injuries....Zadarius this time last year...Eddie Lacy showed up bad....Jenkins injured now....even Tonyan will progress as season goes forth....time and time again this is not always the case.

However, let's go with it. I'm not talking about just being in good shape - when a guy physically transforms the makeup of his physic there is intense effort involved there. Whether that means he lowered his body fat percentage by say 5% but didn't drop a pound of weight, or say Slaton shows up leaned down and ready for more of a DE work for Barry than DT (this would have been an instruction I'd assume but just an example)...
We need a sarcasm button.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He appeared to be a bit slow to me last year. Read he had run a 4.51 forty. If true, he's certainy not a burner. Another source had him running a 4.44. Maybe he just needs to study the playbook more.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You would have cut Davante Adams after his second season.
Don't remember thinking that. But I do remember being down on him for the drops. I think our receiver situation at that time was such that I really would not have thought about cutting him. But I really liked the little film I saw of Amari a lot and did not see anything like what was on his college film. I think we have good receivers. Don't really need to take a lot of time with him. imho. We have guys that can catch and have not had much of a chance. imho. I would not cut them if Amari can't show up.

Reaction score
I don't even bother reading articles like that at this time of year. When someone says "this guy is a wasted pick. He falls asleep in meetings, his hands are terrible and he hits on half of the guys on the teams wives" I will then believe what I read.
That “guy” sounds like me back in the day. :eek:

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Learning the playbook is such a huge part of the equation these days, especially on an Aaron Rodgers-led team where he's calling lots of audibles. Typically you get a 5-10 seconds on your jog from the huddle to the line to digest the play call. Audibles reduce that to only a second or two. If you don't know the playbook and therefore can't react quickly to audibles, you will be in Aaron's doghouse. Hopefully Amari has spent the time on not just his body but also his mind. Confidence really comes from knowing the offense and opposing defense extremely well.

It reminds me of a quote that I recently read about Bart Star after he was named league MVP in '66. At that point he made up for his lack of arm strength and speed in the pocket with all of the other intangibles such as poise, mental toughness, discipline, accountability, leadership, and confidence. The quote was by Detroit's safety Bruce Maher who said, "I'd have to say that Bart Starr is now the best quarterback in the league. I know Unitas can burn you faster with that arm of his. But Starr can beat you more ways. He frustrates you. He keeps going to your weaknesses. And when you adjust, he find the new weakness. And when you do something about that, he comes back with the old play and finds the old weakness again."

Another good quote but this time from Boyd Dowler, "He could look at a linebacker on Sunday and through the study of film and his experience tell when they were going to blitz. It had to do with down-and-distance. It had to do with alignment. He had blitz audibles. And when Bart read a defense, he never hung you up. He never threw you into **** Butkus."

Football confidence comes from two places - experience and knowledge. Amari Rodgers doesn't yet have the experience but he can try to master the second part. Knowledge comes from both knowing your own playbook and also from knowing your opponent through film study.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts