The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting back to the original premise of the thread, I could't help but notice that "Lack of support in offense to AR" is winning the poll by a pretty comfortable margin. Is that really our main problem?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well....... thoughts anyone?
I was going at it on line. Mad about our D in the first half. Mad that Rodgers keeps targeting Scantling. But finally in the fourth quarter someone reminded me. " The Lions are the Lions. " Nuf said.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice to see AR remove his head from his rear end. Let's hope he keeps this up against teams better than the Lions.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I was going at it on line. Mad about our D in the first half. Mad that Rodgers keeps targeting Scantling. But finally in the fourth quarter someone reminded me. " The Lions are the Lions. " Nuf said.
Rodgers played brilliant tonight, but he blew it on the throws to MVS. He was open, and Rodgers couldn't hit him.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions were decimated in the secondary. All those penalties were simply because they cannot cover.
Nice to see AR remove his head from his rear end. Let's hope he keeps this up against teams better than the Lions.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers played brilliant tonight, but he blew it on the throws to MVS. He was open, and Rodgers couldn't hit him.
But when he throw for Scantling my gut said No. When he targeted Adams I said Yes. I think Scantling has to stride harder and go for the ball. I think Rodgers thinks he is faster than he is.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's gonna be a little light this week. lol

Yeah I mean I don't have a problem when people get critical about his play with games like last week if it's out of legit concern. I mean Rodgers wasn't himself and he even admitted so. But I think most reasonable people still wanted him to succeed and rebound from that, and thank god he did.

Last edited by a moderator:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But players around him played better also. And this was not the Saints secondary. It was the Lions.
Yeah I mean I don't have a problem when people get critical about his play with games like last week if it's out of legit concern. I mean Rodgers wasn't himself and he even admitted so. But I think most reasonable people still wanted him to succeed and rebound from that, and thank god he did.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is average, at best. Kevin King will get burned at least once every game. On first glance of Eric Stokes, he looks far superior to King. Offense was obviously better. Jones was fabulous especially as a receiver. Tonyan was utilized nicely. Rodgers threw 2 perfect passes, 1 to Adams and 1 to Tonyan. A win.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
5 completions beyond 10 yards. Lots and lots of short receptions and run after the catch.

Rodgers made some nice throws on the night. He certainly was not bad. But the players around him made his final stat line look better than what it was. Case in point-- the pop pass goes in as a TD pass for him. He "threw" it about 18 inches.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think he missed MVS 3 times last night. I know its a big payoff play when it works, but seems like defenders know it is coming and it is going to take almost a perfect throw (and catch) to pay off. How often do you go to this throw each game?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MVS had a lot of hype this off season. If he can get open and hold on to the ball for some 10 to 15 yarders; then he will be able to get open deep better.
I think he missed MVS 3 times last night. I know its a big payoff play when it works, but seems like defenders know it is coming and it is going to take almost a perfect throw (and catch) to pay off. How often do you go to this throw each game?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
MVS had a lot of hype this off season. If he can get open and hold on to the ball for some 10 to 15 yarders; then he will be able to get open deep better.
Agreed. I'm just getting the feeling that he has become a one trick pony and as I said, those long throws are boom or bust. Fine on a "free play", but hate seeing them on 3rd and 5. Anyone know much about his ability to run routes?

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And you should not only take long shots to the same receiver. We once would see Nelson, Jones, Jennings all get a deep ball in the same game. Mix it up.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm going to say this and it's going to sound like I'm just looking for reasons to bash Rodgers, but that's truly not the case. This was my genuine thought in the moment.

That TD pass to Tonyan was a stupid play.

Now the actual pass was incredible. The accuracy was stunning. Truly one of the best throws you'll see all season.

But the decision was dumb. Rodgers had Lazard wiiiiide beyond the 1D marker. If he hits him, there's enough grass in front of him that he either scores or gets very close.

If Rodgers attempted that pass to Tonyan 10 times, I bet it's a completion twice. For starters, there was no margin for error in ball placement-- none. And secondly, Tonyan had to catch that thing without a line of sight-- it was coming over the defender's shoulder. Both the placement and the fact that it was caught were amazing plays and unlikely to be repeatable.

Hitting Lazard there, on the other hand, is something that Rodgers can hit 100 times out of 100. The reward was a little smaller in that there's no guarantee that Lazard gets into the EZ, but the risk was way, way lower.

People will say that it was smart because it worked, but I disagree. Passing on options like Lazard there for options like Tonyan in that spot will, in the long run, hurt not help.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
And you should not only take long shots to the same receiver. We once would see Nelson, Jones, Jennings all get a deep ball in the same game. Mix it up.
I'm getting the impression that Rodgers has his favorite targets: Adams, Cobb, Tonyan, MVS....and the rest. He also like certain players for certain situations. So yeah it would be nice to have another guy doing what MVS does, but if its not one of those 4, will Rodgers trust him enough to put the ball out there? Not sure if anyone noticed it last night, but once again, that whole first half Rodgers had a scowl on his face most of the time. Maybe his teammates are used to it, but it would bug the s**t out of me if I thought it was directed my way.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm going to say this and it's going to sound like I'm just looking for reasons to bash Rodgers, but that's truly not the case. This was my genuine thought in the moment.

That TD pass to Tonyan was a stupid play.

Now the actual pass was incredible. The accuracy was stunning. Truly one of the best throws you'll see all season.

But the decision was dumb. Rodgers had Lazard wiiiiide beyond the 1D marker. If he hits him, there's enough grass in front of him that he either scores or gets very close.

If Rodgers attempted that pass to Tonyan 10 times, I bet it's a completion twice. For starters, there was no margin for error in ball placement-- none. And secondly, Tonyan had to catch that thing without a line of sight-- it was coming over the defender's shoulder. Both the placement and the fact that it was caught were amazing plays and unlikely to be repeatable.

Hitting Lazard there, on the other hand, is something that Rodgers can hit 100 times out of 100. The reward was a little smaller in that there's no guarantee that Lazard gets into the EZ, but the risk was way, way lower.

People will say that it was smart because it worked, but I disagree. Passing on options like Lazard there for options like Tonyan in that spot will, in the long run, hurt not help.
I think Rodgers was running off of the adrenaline of the long bomb to Davante. Was kind of feeling himself and tried the near impossible play on the Monday night football stage (this isn't a defense of the decision just for the record). You're absolutely correct in your assessment that Lazard was the much higher percentage play, but that might be the one ball all night long where one could make the argument that Rodgers didn't take what was presented to him, which is a huge improvement from week 1.

There might be a couple more. Won't know for sure until I re-watch the offensive snaps.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
5 completions beyond 10 yards. Lots and lots of short receptions and run after the catch.

Rodgers made some nice throws on the night. He certainly was not bad. But the players around him made his final stat line look better than what it was. Case in point-- the pop pass goes in as a TD pass for him. He "threw" it about 18 inches.
You didn't used to nitpick like this on AR ;)

You yourself said that a fear of yours was that he might be reluctant to continue playing within the confines of MLF's system. I think he showed last night that he was more than willing to take what the defense was giving him, and bought into the concept of taking advantage of the Jones on linebackers mismatch. It's only one game, but it's a huge leap in the right direction, minus the forced bullet to Tonyan.

That much should be encouraging to you.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imagine nitpicking a TD pass, and yards after the catch (as if the receivers aren't part of the offense). Some of you guys are in for a world of pain once Love takes over :)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You didn't used to nitpick like this on AR ;)

You yourself said that a fear of yours was that he might be reluctant to continue playing within the confines of MLF's system. I think he showed last night that he was more than willing to take what the defense was giving him, and bought into the concept of taking advantage of the Jones on linebackers mismatch. It's only one game, but it's a huge leap in the right direction, minus the forced bullet to Tonyan.

That much should be encouraging to you.

Yeah, I'm all for him taking those short completions. I'm just making the point that he wasn't putting on a laser show out there, generally-- his teammates did a lot of the heavy lifting. Really the only thing that bothered me was his holding the ball. The point I was making was not that he was bad. Someone took issue with me saying he was OK.

But you're right, I have typically reserved criticism of Rodgers and given him the benefit of the doubt. But if the guy is going to be as self-centered and above the team as he proved himself to be this off-season, he can get the microscope treatment. He hands out enough criticism to everyone else; I think he can afford to take some on himself.

Members online

Latest posts