The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much everyone was saying he wasn't worth the money and we couldn't afford him.
Not to toot my own horn, but I told you guys, especially those who was insisting Alison going forward was the better option.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Not to toot my own horn, but I told you guys, especially those who was insisting Alison going forward was the better option.
I don’t think you will find many at all that said Allison was the best option. The issue with most everyone was keeping Cobb at the number he was making. Also, how often he was banged up.

We can argue about whether or not he would have been willing to take a pay cut, but these were the issues. Not his capability on the field.

Sky King

Reaction score
For the most part, NFL GMs must look through the windshield rather than the rear-view mirror, so to speak. Count me in with those who regret Cobb having departed. This season he would have been the team's best slot receiver other than Adams (when he plays there) had he remained with the team and stayed healthy.

In spite of that, I agree with those who feel that the time to depart with Cobb was upon the front office. His short and long-term cap numbers, his injury history, and his beginning-to-fade explosiveness all intersected at just enough below the "Gotta Keep This Guy Line" to force the sad decision. Un-sentimental, I agree, but probably the most logical one that had to be made under the circumstances.

Then again, for the right price, you never know about 2020. Tramon may have laid the groundwork for that consideration. I just won't hold my breath though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers lost 2 "career WR's" in Jordy and Cobb and attempted to replace them with J'Mon Moore, MVS and ESB. I believe that was the mistake. Letting Jordy and Cobb go was fine at the time of each of the decisions, but then you need to replace their talent. I hope this offseason Gute can find a way to do that. He needs to do the same with the TE position, which he at least threw all he had it with the Jimmy G signing and the drafting of Jace.

D

Deleted member 6794

In truth I think we should try to bring Cobb back. We don't need a number 1 just a solid number 2 receiver, like Emmanuel Sanders is doing for San Fran. I think Cobb would fit in nicely. Plus I don't think he'll be expensive to get on a one year contract.

As I've mentioned several times the Packers need to improve their receiving corps next offseason. In my opinion bringing Cobb back isn't the solution to their woes though.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As I've mentioned several times the Packers need to improve their receiving corps next offseason. In my opinion bringing Cobb back isn't the solution to their woes though.

While he might not be a long term solution, why don't you think he couldn't be a short term solution, while a rookie drafted in rounds 1, 2 or 3 develops?

I think as we get closer to Free Agency, this all will start to be discussed. However, right now, I would say Cobb would have been a valuable guy on the current team, even at $5M/year, so I wouldn't shut the door on him for 2020, until Gute can find a FA veteran to slide into the #2.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we're looking for a number 2 receiver at a relatively cheap price, I don't see why we wouldn't entertain the idea; especially if we're going to draft early for a new receiver. Cobb would be a nice fill in at the number 2 option, hell he more productive than all of our receivers outside of Adams.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
While he might not be a long term solution, why don't you think he couldn't be a short term solution, while a rookie drafted in rounds 1, 2 or 3 develops?

I think as we get closer to Free Agency, this all will start to be discussed. However, right now, I would say Cobb would have been a valuable guy on the current team, even at $5M/year, so I wouldn't shut the door on him for 2020, until Gute can find a FA veteran to slide into the #2.
I agree with this, especially if there isn't a better fit on the free agent market.

In my opinion, this team needs two things badly. A reliable slot receiver that Rodgers can trust to work the middle of the field, and a burner/speedster that can take the top off of a defense. Theoretically, that's MVS, but we see how well that's worked out (hasn't worked out) thus far.

I'd be more than willing to bring Cobb back on a team friendly deal while a high round rookie or two learn the ropes.

The question is would Gute be willing to pull the trigger. I'd hope that he would do what was in the best interest of the team, even though he cut bait last year.

We also clearly need an upgrade at tight end, but that's another discussion.

D

Deleted member 6794

If we're looking for a number 2 receiver at a relatively cheap price, I don't see why we wouldn't entertain the idea; especially if we're going to draft early for a new receiver. Cobb would be a nice fill in at the number 2 option, hell he more productive than all of our receivers outside of Adams.

I just feel that the Packers would benefit from going younger at the position as Cobb will turn 30 years old before the start of next season.

With a deep draft class at the position a rookie could put up numbers like Cobb has done in 2019.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I just feel that the Packers would benefit from going younger at the position as Cobb will turn 30 years old before the start of next season.

No doubt and they can do that in the draft, but relying on a rookie? Not my cup of tea. So until then, who do you go with? As of now the projected FA market of WR's isn't all that impressive and that can change. But I sure would rather go with a proven commodity in the short term than sign a veteran that doesn't work well with Rodgers and go through another season of "Adams and next man up."

D

Deleted member 6794

No doubt and they can do that in the draft, but relying on a rookie? Not my cup of tea. So until then, who do you go with? As of now the projected FA market of WR's isn't all that impressive and that can change. But I sure would rather go with a proven commodity in the short term than sign a veteran that doesn't work well with Rodgers and go through another season of "Adams and next man up."

I would prefer to rely on a rookie than on Cobb to make an impact next season. There were three first year receivers that put up better numbers than him this year with two of them playing with inferior quarterbacks than Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would prefer to rely on a rookie than on Cobb to make an impact next season. There were three first year receivers that put up better numbers than him this year with two of them playing with inferior quarterbacks than Rodgers.

.....and how many rookie WR's didn't make an impact with other teams? I would go one step further and ask, "When was the last time a rookie WR made an impact on an AR run offense?"

Now I get it, in the past we have been deeper at WR and guys didn't need to step up in their first year, so guys like Jordy, Cobb and Adams could take the needed time to develop. However, we need someone to step up NOW and while I think it can possibly happen, I don't want to see the Packers go into the draft absolutely needing to find a WR who has to come right in and be their #2.

We also have no data as to how long it could possibly take a veteran WR to get on the same page as #12. I mean Cook at TE is the closest thing we have to guessing and it took him and AR a good half of a season to start clicking.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Probably Adams himself?

Not really. He too had some "growing pains" in his first year or two. Heck people here were calling him "Paddle Hands" and all but declaring him a bust. He was also on the depth chart behind Jordy and Cobb, so he wasn't really overly "needed" so his development was what I would term "just fine and expected".

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. He too had some "growing pains" in his first year or two. Heck people here were calling him "Paddle Hands" and all but declaring him a bust. He was also on the depth chart behind Jordy and Cobb, so he wasn't really overly "needed" so his development was what I would term "just fine and expected".
MVS had a slightly better rookie season than Adams.

Jennings is the last packer to make a significant impact as a rookie.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We better hope MVS, whose career so far is similar to Adams' first 2 seasons, has a great 3rd season. We can't afford to draft more WRs and wait 1-2 seasons for them to develop.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking today about how Aaron Rodgers road record is only .500. He must have been delighted to find something else to criticize him on. Or rather his staff found it. Actually there was some talk about this last year after the Packers finished with a 1-7 road record. Still, not an impressive stat.

But take out games played in California and this year's road record is outstanding. It's pretty good even if you don't.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cowherd was talking today about how Aaron Rodgers road record is only .500. He must have been delighted to find something else to criticize him on. Or rather his staff found it. Actually there was some talk about this last year after the Packers finished with a 1-7 road record. Still, not an impressive stat.

But take out games played in California and this year's road record is outstanding. It's pretty good even if you don't.
Yeah I heard him today and yesterday. Yesterday he was spatting on some kind of nonsense in how Rodgers needs to take more risks in throwing the football, when NOT turning over the ball is crucial to winning football games. The dude says he doesn't hate Rodgers but all evidence come to the contrary, even his compliments I feel like are backhanded ones. I was happy that Doug Gottlieb corrected Colin in regards to those playoff losses as they weren't on Rodgers. He even corrected Colin one time when Cowherd was insisting that Brees was better, and then Doug mentioned how Brees went years without making the playoffs in the past decade, and Colin tried to sweep it under the rug.

I like Colin as he will bring up some interesting points, but in regards to his criticism on Rodgers, I simply roll my eyes.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah I heard him today and yesterday. Yesterday he was spatting on some kind of nonsense in how Rodgers needs to take more risks in throwing the football, when NOT turning over the ball is crucial to winning football games. The dude says he doesn't hate Rodgers but all evidence come to the contrary, even his compliments I feel like are backhanded ones. I was happy that Doug Gottlieb corrected Colin in regards to those playoff losses as they weren't on Rodgers. He even corrected Colin one time when Cowherd was insisting that Brees was better, and then Doug mentioned how Brees went years without making the playoffs in the past decade, and Colin tried to sweep it under the rug.

I like Colin as he will bring up some interesting points, but in regards to his criticism on Rodgers, I simply roll my eyes.
Cowherd has made a career on contradicting himself. Take everything he says with a grain of salt. He's no where near as bad as Skip, though.

Reaction score
In truth I think we should try to bring Cobb back. We don't need a number 1 just a solid number 2 receiver, like Emmanuel Sanders is doing for San Fran. I think Cobb would fit in nicely. Plus I don't think he'll be expensive to get on a one year contract.
I’d do both. Sign Cobb to a short term deal and also either draft another receiver, get one through FA or trade for one next season.

As far as Sanders, I don’t believe GB would be much of an underdog (if any) if SF had passed on him and GB had signed him (the reciprocal).

Members online

Latest posts