What's our main problem?

• Total voters
OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AR 'trusts' G-Mo, so that counts a LOT in his favour. I'd say Adams, Lazard and G-Mo are Top 3 in existing roster. If we sign a FA he'd be in mix, but everyone else is on next tier.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This, fortunately, appears to be a good year for WRs. There are perhaps a dozen WRs that will go in the first 2 rounds and I am sure some of them will contribute as rookies.
Contribute, sure. But would they be enough to re-energize the offense and get us over the hump? Of course, if we win the Super Bowl this year there isn't really a hump to get over. That's a fairly large "if", however.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Allison was paid a "show me what you got" $2.8M and IMO, wasn't worth the money.

34 catches
287 yds.
8.4/catch
2 TD's.

I would be fine if they brought Allison back on a minimal no guarantees contract, but in now way should he be viewed as a starter or even a 2-4 guy.

Anyone else notice that when Lazard went down, it was Kumerow that took his place, not GMO or MVS.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison to me is an ideal WR4, wouldn't be trusted much in a 3 WR set, but good off the bench guy to have around. By no means pay this man more money. He's got Rodgers' trust by virtue of the fact that he's been around awhile, but we need to upgrade from him and MVS in the offseason. St. Brown is a big question mark entering next season too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Allison to me is an ideal WR4, wouldn't be trusted much in a 3 WR set, but good off the bench guy to have around. By no means pay this man more money. He's got Rodgers' trust by virtue of the fact that he's been around awhile, but we need to upgrade from him and MVS in the offseason. St. Brown is a big question mark entering next season too.

Agreed and really when you stop and think about it, the only guy on the roster that has actually stood out (besides Adams of course) is Lazard. MVS, Allison, Kumerow have pretty much been nothing burgers and neither of those 3 took advantage of the perfect opportunity to grab on to the #2 or #3 WR position, despite being given the opportunity to do so.

D

Deleted member 6794

The problem with drafting WRs is that they take time to develop, and that's not even taking into consideration that it takes Rodgers time to gain trust in them. That's not really good news, considering his clock is ticking.

There were four rookie receivers with at least 800 yards this season. With next year considered a deep draft class at the position it would be smart to use an early rounder on one of them.

Davante has 2 more years on what has turned out to be a spectacular deal for the Packers, time to draft his potential replacement or his compliment, but until such time as that player is ready, get some proven veteran help.

With Adams being only 27 years old there's no reason to think about his replacement.

Where's Geronimo? My guess, somewhere between high end rookie and MVS.

Pokerbrat expects the Packers to not bring Allison back for next season.

If we can get someone like Robby Anderson or Em Sanders, it'd be great.

In my opinion the Packers should pass on Sanders. While he had some good games with the Niners he had three or fewer receptions in seven of the 11 games played with them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With Adams being only 27 years old there's no reason to think about his replacement.

Which is why I said "Replacement or compliment".

Davante has 2 more years on what has turned out to be a spectacular deal for the Packers, time to draft his potential replacement or his compliment

While I hope Adams is a Packer for years to come. However, there are a lot of factors and variables that will come into play, that you can't just automatically assume he will be a Packer after those 2 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I hope Adams is a Packer for years to come. However, there are a lot of factors and variables that will come into play, that you can't just automatically assume he will be a Packer after those 2 years.

As long as Adams stays healthy I fully expect him to be a Packer after his current contract expires.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers should pass on Sanders. While he had some good games with the Niners he had three or fewer receptions in seven of the 11 games played with them.

Their QB is Garopollo who doesn't throw long. And Shanahan has a gameplan that suits him...throwing short to multiple receivers. I doubt they have a clear #1 now and don't think they will.

With us it'd be different. Adams would still be #1, but we need a consistent #2 to move the chains, which Sanders is perfect for. Add in Lazard and we have a functioning set of WRs.

D

Deleted member 6794

With us it'd be different. Adams would still be #1, but we need a consistent #2 to move the chains, which Sanders is perfect for. Add in Lazard and we have a functioning set of WRs.

I definitely agree that the Packers need to add a decent #2 receiver next offseason but I would be in favour of adding a younger one than Sanders who will turn 33 years old before the start of next season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely agree that the Packers need to add a decent #2 receiver next offseason but I would be in favour of adding a younger one than Sanders who will turn 33 years old before the start of next season.
I agree, IF Sanders was every going to be valuable to this team it would be this year, not next.

any FA WR they'd bring in better have some juice in the tank or go with a new crop.

Reaction score
I've been rather disappointed with Geronimo as it relates to pass catching. His drops and fumbles are worrisome.
I’ve noticed that also. He doesn’t do enough to overcome an occasional fumble and the dropsies. It’s a tough deal because he’s lacks that consistency you’d like to see by this point in a career. Yet he’s one of our more experienced Wideouts behind Devante.
Gmo is the definition of Damned if you do damned if you don’t

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In truth I think we should try to bring Cobb back. We don't need a number 1 just a solid number 2 receiver, like Emmanuel Sanders is doing for San Fran. I think Cobb would fit in nicely. Plus I don't think he'll be expensive to get on a one year contract.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that also. He doesn’t do enough to overcome an occasional fumble and the dropsies. It’s a tough deal because he’s lacks that consistency you’d like to see by this point in a career. Yet he’s one of our more experienced Wideouts behind Devante.
Gmo is the definition of Damned if you do damned if you don’t

Yet it appears a guy that wasn't even on the 53 when the season started (Lazard) and Kumerow, have both passed GMO on the depth chart. That is pretty telling for a guy that is in his 4th year in the NFL, on the same team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In truth I think we should try to bring Cobb back. We don't need a number 1 just a solid number 2 receiver, like Emmanuel Sanders is doing for San Fran. I think Cobb would fit in nicely. Plus I don't think he'll be expensive to get on a one year contract.
did he only sign a 1 year in Dallas? i could look, but i can't remember I thought it was a 2 year? Figures though, he has a fairly healthy year somewhere else. He was worth money healthy here.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
did he only sign a 1 year in Dallas? i could look, but i can't remember I thought it was a 2 year? Figures though, he has a fairly healthy year somewhere else. He was worth money healthy here.
I thought he was hitting the FA after this year. I could be wrong though, I scoffed at the idea when people kept insisting that Allison was better than Cobb, granted he had the better year, but Cobb is the better receiver hands down. Knew we should've kept him for one more year!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

1 year, $5,000,000 contract, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus.

Hind site is always 20/20, but had Gute known that he wouldn't get much improvement from Allison or the young guys, I think he would have resigned Cobb, especially if he knew they had a 13-3 season coming.

I have to agree with Do7, Cobb is only 29, I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a similar deal as he got with the Cowboys.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 year, $5,000,000 contract, including a $2,000,000 signing bonus.

Hind site is always 20/20, but had Gute known that he wouldn't get much improvement from Allison or the young guys, I think he would have resigned Cobb, especially if he knew they had a 13-3 season coming.

I have to agree with Do7, Cobb is only 29, I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a similar deal as he got with the Cowboys.
I get the hindsight thing, but Geronimo never showed me anything that made me think we would be better off with him over Cobb. Granted the issue was the payment, but I was the lone figure here saying how we should sign Cobb back to at least a one year deal and letting him go was a mistake. Granted we're 13-3 right now. But I definitely think this offense would be better if we had Cobb and considering how well he did in Dallas, he definitely would've worked as the second option.

Here's hoping we can snatch him away from McCarthy.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was on the fence with letting Cobb go, but only due to his injuries and perhaps due to his being overpaid for several years. Talent wise, I knew the Packers would miss a healthy Cobb. All that said, back in March of last year, I assumed it was the smart move financially but I expected Gute to go out and replace Cobb with someone better. He didn't and when he stood pat at WR in the draft, i knew our WR corp was going to be an issue. Hope Gute doesn't repeat the same mistake twice.

Just to keep this thread on tract. I think history has show, like it or now, Rodgers does much better with teammates that he has establish some chemistry with. That wasn't the case in 2019 with any of the receivers but Adams and maybe a bit (chemistry) with Allison. So yeah, bring back Cobb if the price is right and if there isn't a better FA option out there.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was the lone figure here saying how we should sign Cobb back to at least a one year deal and letting him go was a mistake.
Yeah, pretty much everyone was saying he wasn't worth the money and we couldn't afford him.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts