The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 6794

It's unbelievable that the Packers just clinched the NFC North with their first win ever at US Bank Stadium and still have a legit shot at the #1 seed and still the only thing some of you can come up with is to complain about Rodgers missing some throws.

Maybe you should realize that Rodgers has never been the most accurate quarterback in the league and the lack of talent at receiver and tight has contributed to him "struggling" this season.

I definitely prefer the team being at 12-3 instead of Rodgers having more impressive stats though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
lack of talent at receiver and tight has contributed to him "struggling" this season.

Strongly agree.

While the lack of talent at the receiver position is talked about a lot, it is sadly comical that some fans and even the media keep forgetting this fact and expect Rodgers to somehow turn a group of UDFA's into Stars. There are reasons why Lazzard, Allison, Tonyan, Shepherd and Kumerow weren't drafted. As well as why MVS was still around in the 5th round and Jimmy Graham will go down as a busted Free Agent signing.

I don't feel the need to make excuses for Rodgers every week, those were mostly predetermined at the start of the season when the Packers decided to move forward with the receiving corp that they had.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is a true leader when he needs to be.

As I said before RELAX, we are on the way to our next Super Bowl!!!!!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
It's unbelievable that the Packers just clinched the NFC North with their first win ever at US Bank Stadium and still have a legit shot at the #1 seed and still the only thing some of you can come up with is to complain about Rodgers missing some throws.

Maybe you should realize that Rodgers has never been the most accurate quarterback in the league and the lack of talent at receiver and tight has contributed to him "struggling" this season.

I definitely prefer the team being at 12-3 instead of Rodgers having more impressive stats though.

Please don't turn this around and put words into my mouth that I am saying he sucks or is declining..

When Rodgers misses a wide open wr the draft position of the wr shouldn't come into play.

The wr did his part. Rodgers needs to do his.

He is the highest paid player and when the opportunity presents its self to him he needs to deliver..

majority of people here called "Tae" paddle hands and criticized him. Rodgers shouldnt be above criticism.

The pass at end zone to Tae...it was behind him and should have been tossed to a better spot. Rodgers himself said it..

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Strongly agree.

While the lack of talent at the receiver position is talked about a lot, it is sadly comical that some fans and even the media keep forgetting this fact and expect Rodgers to somehow turn a group of UDFA's into Stars..

See my post to capt

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
See my post to capt

Duly noted ;)

I don't have a problem with pointing out that Rodgers isn't as sharp as he might have been 3+ seasons ago, but I will be damned if I don't also point out the fact that he is not playing with nearly the level of talent in the way of receivers that he once had. There is no doubt in my mind that if Rodgers had the receiving corp that he had early in his career, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If nothing else, this season has proved (to me) that while Rodgers can help elevate a receivers game, the receiver has to have a solid base of skills to begin with. Hell, Greg Jennings might even be smiling. For all those that said "Rodgers made Jennings", I think its more fair to say that "Rodgers helped Greg improve on the talents he already possessed."

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

you're being negative. criticism of the wr's isn't justified. it's also a slight on the talent evaluation by Gute and company.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe you should realize that Rodgers has never been the most accurate quarterback in the league

He was though. Those 2 pinpoint passes in the SB - the 21 yard TD to Jennings in the second quarter and the critical 3rd-and-10 pass to Jennings in the 4th quarter - are passes very few other QBs could have made.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Strongly agree.

While the lack of talent at the receiver position is talked about a lot, it is sadly comical that some fans and even the media keep forgetting this fact and expect Rodgers to somehow turn a group of UDFA's into Stars. There are reasons why Lazzard, Allison, Tonyan, Shepherd and Kumerow weren't drafted. As well as why MVS was still around in the 5th round and Jimmy Graham will go down as a busted Free Agent signing.

I don't feel the need to make excuses for Rodgers every week, those were mostly predetermined at the start of the season when the Packers decided to move forward with the receiving corp that they had.

I was reading somewhere earlier today that Rodgers rating is ridiculous when he is throwing to Adams compared to his other targets. It could be because they have played together for a while but if we think about it every defense is geared towards stopping Adams and he can still get open. It would be really nice if AR had another weapon like this - either WR or TE. I do like what I'm seeing in Lazard but he has to learn to come back to his QB when things break down.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you're being negative. criticism of the wr's isn't justified. it's also a slight on the talent evaluation by Gute and company.

I don't think it is a slight. Gute and company have put more draft and FA capital into the defensive side of the ball. Yes, defenses win championships but the last time we won it all we had a heck of a better WR/TE corps then we do right now. Let's hope the offense gets a little more love this coming offseason no matter what happens this post season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Duly noted ;)

I don't have a problem with pointing out that Rodgers isn't as sharp as he might have been 3+ seasons ago, but I will be damned if I don't also point out the fact that he is not playing with nearly the level of talent in the way of receivers that he once had. There is no doubt in my mind that if Rodgers had the receiving corp that he had early in his career, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If nothing else, this season has proved (to me) that while Rodgers can help elevate a receivers game, the receiver has to have a solid base of skills to begin with. Hell, Greg Jennings might even be smiling. For all those that said "Rodgers made Jennings", I think its more fair to say that "Rodgers helped Greg improve on the talents he already possessed."

Again..

This isn't about talent.

There have been open wr and he missed them.

A WIDE OPEN wr is open no matter un drafted or a number 1 pick. He shouldn't miss those

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Again..

This isn't about talent.

There have been open wr and he missed them.

A WIDE OPEN wr is open no matter un drafted or a number 1 pick. He shouldn't miss those

If it isn't about talent and only about a WR occasionally getting themselves open, then let's end the draft and just pay everyone league minimum.

Basically, what you are saying is that anyone can play in the NFL, as long as they can get open once in awhile.

If the Packers put any of the following players on the trading block, what would they get in return?
  1. Allison
  2. Kumerow
  3. MVS
  4. Lazard
  5. Grant
  6. Graham
  7. Tonyan
  8. Lewis
  9. Sternberger

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
If it isn't about talent and only about a WR occasionally getting themselves open, then let's end the draft and just pay everyone league minimum.

Basically, what you are saying is that anyone can play in the NFL, as long as they can get open once in awhile.

If the Packers put any of the following players on the trading block, what would they get in return?
  1. Allison
  2. Kumerow
  3. MVS
  4. Lazard
  5. Grant
  6. Graham
  7. Tonyan
  8. Lewis
  9. Sternberger
Not saying anyone can play...:unsure:

I didn't think it would be this hard to explain?

If a wr..te..rb is open, rodgers needs to hit him. That's the point..

Of course Undrafted players won't get open as better talent..but once open rodgers has to hit them

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I didn't think it would be this hard to explain?

What's there to explain? You are confusing explaining with my acceptance of your theory.

Of course a QB should hit an open WR, if he sees that open WR and has a throwing lane to him. However, how often that WR gets open and becomes a viable receiver on a given play, as well as how good of a route runner he is, how sure his hands are and what he does with the ball afterwards are all important too.

I could probably look at the film of most unsuccessful passing plays in the NFL this year and find an open receiver on many of them. Does that make the QB bad because that play wasn't successful?

Now answer the question I posed please....

1. Allison
  2. Kumerow
  3. MVS
  4. Lazard
  5. Grant
  6. Graham
  7. Tonyan
  8. Lewis
  9. Sternberger

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What's there to explain? You are confusing explaining with my acceptance of your theory.

Of course a QB should hit an open WR, if he sees that open WR and has a throwing lane to him. However, how often that WR gets open and becomes a viable receiver on a given play, as well as how good of a route runner he is, how sure his hands are and what he does with the ball afterwards are all important too.

I could probably look at the film of most unsuccessful passing plays in the NFL this year and find an open receiver on many of them. Does that make the QB bad because that play wasn't successful?

Now answer the question I posed please....
Again...I'm.not debating their talent sucks..I'm saying if open Rodgers need to hit them. plain and simple..shouldn't be this much of a discussion?

So how many of his misses were because of a bad throw? I've asked that b4..not sure if in this thread or not.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it is a slight. Gute and company have put more draft and FA capital into the defensive side of the ball. Yes, defenses win championships but the last time we won it all we had a heck of a better WR/TE corps then we do right now. Let's hope the offense gets a little more love this coming offseason no matter what happens this post season.
i'm being facetious.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
  • Aaron's accuracy just isn't godly in general as it used to be

The pass to Davante in the endzone was BEHIND Davante too as an example
    Perfect example of my points..

Is that going to go on Taes drops? just a incomplete pass? Or rodgers should have thrown better..if thrown better it's a td...but some will blame adams..which I see but for me rodgers should get the blame

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again...I'm.not debating their talent sucks..I'm saying if open Rodgers need to hit them. plain and simple..shouldn't be this much of a discussion?

So how many of his misses were because of a bad throw? I've asked that b4..not sure if in this thread or not.
exactly. it's going over people's heads. guys come open...he sees them but doesn't throw...goes into scramble drill. that's the MM offense that he's been living for several years and is clinging to this season. that's why the O is as haphazard as it is. at times this year he's done it MLF's way (most of the time while adams was away), a good portion of last game. maybe over the summer he'll come around some more. i hope so.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
exactly. it's going over people's heads. guys come open...he sees them but doesn't throw...goes into scramble drill. that's the MM offense that he's been living for several years and is clinging to this season. that's why the O is as haphazard as it is. at times this year he's done it MLF's way (most of the time while adams was away), a good portion of last game. maybe over the summer he'll come around some more. i hope so.
And I cannot put my finger on it. Is it a greater fear of the sack and his declining ability to escape the rush like a decade ago? Is he rushing? Does he feel less confident because the great plethora of receivers is no longer there? Is he himself slowing down?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
And I cannot put my finger on it. Is it a greater fear of the sack and his declining ability to escape the rush like a decade ago? Is he rushing? Does he feel less confident because the great plethora of receivers is no longer there? Is he himself slowing down?
All of the above??

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What I find comical is that some of you don't see the fact that very few of us are saying that Aaron Rodgers is God and that he is making all of the passes he should be and the offense sputtering is strictly the receivers fault. Stop acting like Aaron Rodgers never made a bad throw during his career and that all of a sudden it is something new. Every QB misses a throw, every receiver drops a pass or misses a route. What has changed in the last 4 or so years is the drop in talent at WR and TE that Rodgers is being asked to work with. Look back at the Rosters since Aaron Rodgers became the starting QB and tell me that this season isn't the weakest one that he has been asked to work with. Also think back and remember what happened to the offense during games when some of his top receivers were injured.

Sure #12 has slowed down a bit and he likes to hang on to the ball too long sometimes (something he has done his whole career), but give him more talent to work with and I think you will be happier with the results.

I will ask my same question once again, but it seems like none of you want to answer it:

1. Allison
  2. Kumerow
  3. MVS
  4. Lazard
  5. Grant
  6. Graham
  7. Tonyan
  8. Lewis
  9. Sternberger

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
What I find comical is that some of you don't see the fact that very few of us are saying that Aaron Rodgers is God and that he is making all of the passes he should be and the offense sputtering is strictly the receivers fault. Stop acting like Aaron Rodgers never made a bad throw during his career and that all of a sudden it is something new. Every QB misses a throw, every receiver drops a pass or misses a route. What has changed in the last 4 or so years is the drop in talent at WR and TE that Rodgers is being asked to work with. Look back at the Rosters since Aaron Rodgers became the starting QB and tell me that this season isn't the weakest one that he has been asked to work with. Also think back and remember what happened to the offense during games when some of his top receivers were injured.

Sure #12 has slowed down a bit and he likes to hang on to the ball too long sometimes (something he has done his whole career), but give him more talent to work with and I think you will be happier with the results.

I will ask my same question once again, but it seems like none of you want to answer it:

1. Allison
  2. Kumerow
  3. MVS
  4. Lazard
  5. Grant
  6. Graham
  7. Tonyan
  8. Lewis
  9. Sternberger
I answered it..there's no talent there..so be lucky to get anything.

you wanted that in plain English to somehow prove your point.

BTW.

Something I think is lost...I'm agreeing with everything you are saying.

If the receiver doesn't have the talent it's much harder for aaron to anticipate the route as a seasoned vet or a better talent..

Why can't you admit if a receiver is wide open, Aaron needs to make that throw?

Did you see the clip of the high school kid that put a move on Stephen Curry or James?? And I think he made the lay up? He shouldn't have never put a move on that nda star..but when he did he needs to make the final play..

Same premise

Members online

Latest posts