The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Perhaps, but he also specifically called out Mica Hyde as one of poor actions. Not saying that Hyde wasn't friend (I have no evidence either way,) but he certainly wasn't catching passes or blocking for Rodgers.
Well us fans have been calling out bad decisions as well, including Hyde, Heyward, Taysom Hill, etc. Doesn't make us or Rodgers Nostradamus, it makes us people that are paying attention. He and John Kuhn were buddies, was that bad to let John walk and sign with the Saints? I understand Rodgers wishing he was more involved in some of the decision making, but his siting players like Hyde, Jordy and especially Kumerow as decisions he was upset by, is just sour grapes on his part and trying to get fan sympathy, while trying to justify his anger at management. Kumerow hasn't done crap since he left (8 games, 1 catch for 22 yards).

I kind of see why he was put out a bit about the whole Love pick, but process it and get over it, you are still the starting QB. I also doubt anyone called Aaron Jones or Jamaal when they drafted Dillon.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well us fans have been calling out bad decisions as well, including Hyde, Heyward, Taysom Hill, etc.

I think you're possibly cross conflating.

Rodgers, from what I can tell, isn't upset about these players leaving. It's a business and he understands it. His complaint relates to how those things happened. As long as we take Rodgers' statements as genuine, it's how we parted with these players, not that they left.

We didn't offer Hyde a contract. We offered Jordy the vet minimum.

I will also agree that Kumerow isn't all that great. I'd also say that picking this no. 5/6 WR making the minimum vs. that no. 5/6 WR making the minimum is probably worth a discussion with your quarterback. If only to ask, "Hey, who do you like better and why? Shepherd vs. Kumerow."

( Also: I will defend the decision to not retain Hyde and Hayward at the time. Injury prone or not as good as the guys in front of them. Hindsight, yeah, oops.)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
His complaint relates to how those things happened. As long as we take Rodgers' statements as genuine, it's how we parted with these players, not that they left.

We didn't offer Hyde a contract. We offered Jordy the vet minimum.
Let's face it, he didn't like the Love pick and now he is siting ways in which the organization supposedly wronged other guys to try and make it look like it isn't just about him and the Love pick. Why now? I will tell you why, because of the Love pick and his MVP. He or others never complained prior to this on how players were released. He finally saw an opening to try and leverage his position and say "ah ha...see I told you I wasn't declining and your Love pick was premature, had you talked to me, I would have saved you a pick" Him saying he has no issues with Jordan has nothing to do with the draft decision of Love and how it was carried out. That is just him throwing shade on it.

I am sure that every organization has their own ways of making personnel decisions and the Packers technique isn't that much different now as it was when they drafted Rodgers without telling Favre.

We can disagree as to Rodgers intentions or what drove him to the his decisions. However, there is no debating that he was contemplating never playing for the Packers again. Personally, I think he is only came back for the money/legacy and the hope to be traded at the end of the year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do agree, he was ready to be done with this team over this. I do not believe he has any hope of being traded. I think he will retire rather than move on. I don't think the drafting of Love had much at all to do with what happened at the end of last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I do agree, he was ready to be done with this team over this. I do not believe he has any hope of being traded. I think he will retire rather than move on. I don't think the drafting of Love had much at all to do with what happened at the end of last season.
It wouldn't surprise me that he and the Packers agreed, behind closed doors, that this would be his final season in Green Bay, unless both parties wanted for him to stay. That might have been the final card that they had to play to get him back. Why didn't they make it public? Probably because they didn't want it known that he was a lame duck QB. I also wouldn't be that shocked if Gute or Murphy said something to him in private last year to the effect that if he didn't want to be in Green Bay, then they would just trade him. I really believe that Rodgers thought he was going to be traded this past offseason. He didn't just make that up.

jhawk008

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You didn't used to nitpick like this on AR ;)

You yourself said that a fear of yours was that he might be reluctant to continue playing within the confines of MLF's system. I think he showed last night that he was more than willing to take what the defense was giving him, and bought into the concept of taking advantage of the Jones on linebackers mismatch. It's only one game, but it's a huge leap in the right direction, minus the forced bullet to Tonyan.

That much should be encouraging to you.
This

"Why won't Rodgers just take what the defense gives him instead of trying to thread the needle!!"

Next week...

"Rodgers is taking what the defense gives him, make an all world throw already!!"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This

"Why won't Rodgers just take what the defense gives him instead of trying to thread the needle!!"

Next week...

"Rodgers is taking what the defense gives him, make an all world throw already!!"

Lol, yeah. Please find my criticism that matches that description.

Why is it so hard for people to engage with what I actually said?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per PFF…

Rodgers under 2.5 seconds— 87% completion, 4 TD, 0 INT, 0 sacks

Rodgers over 2.5 seconds— 44% completions, 0 TD, 2 INT, 4 sacks

When he holds the ball and tries to make second reaction plays, bad things happen.

He simply must play within the structure of the offense.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per PFF…

When he holds the ball and tries to make second reaction plays, bad things happen.

i recall several years ago when rodgers was known for having one of the quickest releases in the nfl. of course a major factor in being able to do that is timing routes where you can count on a receiver being at the right place at the right time. and another major factor is limiting the offense to shorter passes and plays that do not take time to develop.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per PFF…

What were the stats from last year? I'd also point out that two games is a really small sample size. Of course pretty much every QB does better when throwing more quickly because it means the receivers are getting open real fast, especially taking into account that the current oline is still learning and not able to protect Rodgers as well as in past years.

Reaction score
I think Rodgers was very aware of the limited resources he received during his tenure, both in FA and early in each draft. He was already tender about Jordy, Cobb, his QB Coach, Kumerow.. to him the Love draft move just blew his mind. I think he thought he was untouchable to an extent. However this staff looked at back to back seasons with 20 something TD’s. They likely thought he was in some decline, which is very reasonable. They looked at this as QB being an important depth piece in case he didn’t rebound or as a successor.

Rodgers was already tender and they slapped him right on the mental bruise. Gutes actions are allowable, but also his GM relational inexperience surfaced to a head. I don’t think he considered the backlash at all and how influential 1 man can be. He had to put this fire out before it burned the entire building, regardless of who’s to blame.

I don’t think the grand effect will stop Rodgers though. He’s very competitive and the off-season will be a very slight overall impact. Winning fixes everything.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say it’s more likely that you will snap… never to be seen again based on your comment.
In his last 4 games where’s he’s thrown 2 interceptions he’s come out and thrown 4 TDs/0 ints in the next game. Here we are a day after a game in which he’s done it again and yet he’s still being criticised.
No wonder the guy looks pissed having to read the **** you post.
Also, the bloke is a perfectionist. He was pissed with himself about missing the 3 deep balls to MVS. Two of them are were a guaranteed TD.
Not once this week did I see him get frustrated with a teammate even during the several examples when the OL stupidly held a Lions player who had no chance of making a tackle on the ball carrier.

Stop posting stupid **** that makes you look like you didn’t even watch the game!!!
Wow! I guess you told me. So funny. I watched the game. It was boring. I used to really get excited about Packer games but #12 has made them no fun. I sure hope that #12 isn't wasting his time reading this crap. That would be sad. Have a lovely day.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Per PFF…

There is also the probability that no one was open. And so he holds the ball longer.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
i recall several years ago when rodgers was known for having one of the quickest releases in the nfl. of course a major factor in being able to do that is timing routes where you can count on a receiver being at the right place at the right time. and another major factor is limiting the offense to shorter passes and plays that do not take time to develop.

Rodgers still has a great release. It's not that he can't get the ball out quickly. It's that sometimes he chooses not to because he wants to go back to the hero ball of yesteryear. He isn't that player any more. And to be fair, sometimes he holds the ball because the reads aren't there. I'm not trying to say it's always 100% one thing.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There is also the probability that no one was open. And so he holds the ball longer.

Both. Sometimes he holds the ball because no one is open or because pressure is obscuring the open read. Sometimes he holds the ball because he's try to be old school AR.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What were the stats from last year? I'd also point out that two games is a really small sample size. Of course pretty much every QB does better when throwing more quickly because it means the receivers are getting open real fast, especially taking into account that the current oline is still learning and not able to protect Rodgers as well as in past years.

Similar in that his quick game was incredibly efficient and holding the ball was detrimental, but I don't have the full season stats right in front of me.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers had an amazing long completion to Adams vs. the Lions. He doesn't only target MVS on deep throws.

It's true that Rodgers overthrew MVS on several throws but there wasn't any separation on any of those either making it extremely difficult to complete those passes. In addition he had a total of five incompletions all game, so you might be a bit exaggerating if you mention he had a lot of over throws.

In my opinion the two passes on goal-to-go he threw in the dirt were his two worst plays of the game.
The one to Adams mimicked the same play he made in the Seahawks playoff game from 2 seasons ago. But it was the only long one to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Let's face it, he didn't like the Love pick and now he is siting ways in which the organization supposedly wronged other guys to try and make it look like it isn't just about him and the Love pick. Why now? I will tell you why, because of the Love pick and his MVP. He or others never complained prior to this on how players were released.

I believe to remember Rodgers advocating for the Packers to re-sign some players years before they drafted Love. I'm quite sure he let them know he wasn't happy about them going in a different direction at that point as well.

Don Barclay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say this with all sincerity. #12 looks to me to be on the verge of losing his mind. He looks troubled. He looks angry. He looks confused. I obviously don't know but man, he looks like he could snap. I wouldn't be surprised at all if at some time during the next 17 weeks that he just disappeared never to be seen again. He comes across to me as one of those drink the kool-aid guys. Not kidding.

I say this with sincerity: if you are in the habit of judging the mental stability of those you don't know personally, based on their looks, you are walking a dangerous, misguided path.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts