The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If the Colts are able to get pressure rushing four; then we still need to keep someone back to help the O line.

Sure, but when you do that, you basically give them an extra man in coverage.

If they rush four and you release five, they’ve got a 2 man advantage in coverage.

If they rush four and you release four, they’ve got a 3 man advantage in coverage.

That could lead to holding the ball longer and coverage sacks. So it’s a chess match.

In my opinion, Rodgers will need to be satisfied to be methodical. Take what they give you in the zones and move the chains.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure, but when you do that, you basically give them an extra man in coverage.

If they rush four and you release five, they’ve got a 2 man advantage in coverage.

If they rush four and you release four, they’ve got a 3 man advantage in coverage.

That could lead to holding the ball longer and coverage sacks. So it’s a chess match.

In my opinion, Rodgers will need to be satisfied to be methodical. Take what they give you in the zones and move the chains.
Well, of course you give something up. Although if the extra blocker does his job well; having more time will easily make up for that and the guy blocking may be able to go out for a short one that is open. And tough to be methodical if you don't have time.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Well, of course you give something up. Although if the extra blocker does his job well; having more time will easily make up for that and the guy blocking may be able to go out for a short one that is open. And tough to be methodical if you don't have time.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you needed the obvious explained. I was just saying that against a defense that plays as well as Indy, the solutions aren't always so simple.

I could be proven totally wrong on Sunday, but I think the best approach would be to release five into their routes, find the open man (even if it's short), and put it on him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you needed the obvious explained. I was just saying that against a defense that plays as well as Indy, the solutions aren't always so simple.

I could be proven totally wrong on Sunday, but I think the best approach would be to release five into their routes, find the open man (even if it's short), and put it on him.
No, I did not think that. You needed to say that just as I thought I did.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If the Colts are able to get pressure rushing four; then we still need to keep someone back to help the O line.

When you face a defense like that of the Colts you have to pick your poison. You go into the game knowing that Rodgers will most likely be under consistent pressure. Defenses that disguise and can bring that pressure from anywhere seem to give us the most fits. So if you leave a back or TE in to block all the time, it might help some, but the DC is going to just adjust his pressure point and probably win out. I would rather Aaron just know that he can't f*ck around too long, send out a bunch of receivers and take our chances one of them is open quick. Basically, accept the fact that you probably will get beat if you expect to block everyone on every passing play, so get the ball out fast, have as many options as possible and make them cover our guys. I could be remembering it wrong, but I think that was the initial game plan against Tampa Bay and then the 2 tds off interceptions occurred and all hell broke lose.

If Davante can't go on Sunday, our odds of winning decreased IMO, unless the defense or special teams also scores.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My poison is to err on the side of keeping Rodgers clean and letting him survey the field. The back or TE staying back needs to a) find the blitzer or b) watch to see which O lineman is going to need help. I already said I was willing to keep two guys back if necessary. I hope we win easily but am definitely looking forward to the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My poison is to err on the side of keeping Rodgers clean and letting him survey the field.

Yes, that is when he is at his best, but unfortunately against a defense like the one Indy has, you can't count on it. Also, it does not help matters that your receiving group is pedestrian at best. I watched quite a bit of the game last night and salivated watching the receiving options that Murray has. I was less impressed with Murray's accuracy and decision making. That was one of the first times I have actually watched him play. Rodgers doesn't have the wheels that Murray has, but if he had Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk and Isabella, the Packers might be scoring 50+ a game.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One of Indy's top pass rushers, Denico Autrey, is out for Sunday. Covid 19 list. He leads the team in sacks with six

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, that is when he is at his best, but unfortunately against a defense like the one Indy has, you can't count on it. Also, it does not help matters that your receiving group is pedestrian at best. I watched quite a bit of the game last night and salivated watching the receiving options that Murray has. I was less impressed with Murray's accuracy and decision making. That was one of the first times I have actually watched him play. Rodgers doesn't have the wheels that Murray has, but if he had Hopkins, Fitzgerald, Kirk and Isabella, the Packers might be scoring 50+ a game.
And if half the teams in the league had Rodgers, Adams, Jones and our offensive line they’d be super bowl contenders. Can’t have everything I guess.

D

Deleted member 6794

When you face a defense like that of the Colts you have to pick your poison. You go into the game knowing that Rodgers will most likely be under consistent pressure.

The Colts defense ranks in the top half of the league creating pressure but they aren't elite in doing it. The Packers offensive line should be able to keep Rodgers upright if they perform up to potential.

And if half the teams in the league had Rodgers, Adams, Jones and our offensive line they’d be super bowl contenders. Can’t have everything I guess.

The interesting thing is that the Cardinals only spend less than $3 million of cap space more than the Packers on their receiving corps this season. Hence Green Bay could definitely afford to have more talent at the position.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The interesting thing is that the Cardinals only spend less than $3 million of cap space more than the Packers on their receiving corps this season. Hence Green Bay could definitely afford to have more talent at the position.
That is pretty misleading too when you look at the team break downs.

Adams is the only guy on the Packer Roster that is being paid much ($16.475M). The other 4/5 guys are all on rookie/udfa deals.

The Cardinals meanwhile have a very favorable deal (this year) on Hopkins @ $7M. Fitzpatrick is only at $11.75M, both Kirk and Isaballa are on rookie deals.

The big difference between the 2 teams, besides the talent level is the fact that both Kirk and Isabella are 2nd round acquisitions/investments and Hopkins was a trade deal for one of the best WR's in the NFL.

Packers might be paying only $3M less for their WR's, but there is no doubt which team is getting more for their money.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Captain pretty much answered this, but I don't agree with the philosophy that we couldn't be better on offense, just because we already have the players you listed. TT and now Gute haven't invested any significant draft capital, trades or free agent acquisitions into our WR group for 5-6 straight years. I actually think you nailed the problem with what you said, it is because of Rodgers and possibly a solid OL that has given the Packer GM's the illusion that all is well at WR. Once Jordy and Cobb left, that isn't the case.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I enjoy the team having a stellar oline, I just question how much you really need to invest in the oline when you have an elite QB. LT is important, but I kinda think trading Bahk for an average LT and some draft picks might have been a better move. Brady has had good olines his entire career, but rarely top dollar guys. I can't recall the last great QB that really needed a great oline; I tend to think a great QB makes his oline better by knowing how to move away from pressure and when to throw the ball (something Rodgers is doing better this year).

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers might be paying only $3M less for their WR's, but there is no doubt which team is getting more for their money.

I definitely agree, my point was in reply to Pike that the Packers could definitely afford to have a better wide receiving corps.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I definitely agree, my point was in reply to Pike that the Packers could definitely afford to have a better wide receiving corps.
Yup and I agree with you I was also trying to point out that even with the total money being spent by both teams on WR's being relatively close, their is a pretty sizable gap in the talent level of the 2 groups. The Packers don't necessarily need to spend a ton more money either, but they do need to throw some higher draft picks at the position than what Gute did in 2018. Basically, they need to invest some resources into the position.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
No more belt celebration?
Players that are washed up, past their prime, can't make all of the throws, have diminishing skills, rebel against their head coach, ignore play calls, alienate their teammates, and take candy from little kids don't get celebrating rights on the field. Were you not aware of this?

[/sarcasm]

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I enjoy the team having a stellar oline, I just question how much you really need to invest in the oline when you have an elite QB. LT is important, but I kinda think trading Bahk for an average LT and some draft picks might have been a better move. Brady has had good olines his entire career, but rarely top dollar guys. I can't recall the last great QB that really needed a great oline; I tend to think a great QB makes his oline better by knowing how to move away from pressure and when to throw the ball (something Rodgers is doing better this year).

I get this but Rodgers was never as good as Manning or Brady at making those quick reads, his strength was always arm talent in which he's in a different conversation. By going to just a guy at LT or even a slightly above average LT we'd be taking away a good chunk of Rodgers strengths.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mahomes might join him in a few weeks. Highly impressive to do it 3 times though.
Your right that Mahomes might ... but he already has 5 picks and only 33 TDS ... I agree that it’s likely that he will throw at least another 7 TDS but it’s also not crazy to think that in three games that he will throw a few more picks .... I guess we will have to wait and see...

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, for those worried about Rodgers fast decline and big contract that the Packers gave him in 2018.....

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I knew 12 had done it but I didn’t realize he was the only one that had done it. Wow, puts it in better perspective for me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I knew 12 had done it but I didn’t realize he was the only one that had done it. Wow, puts it in better perspective for me.

I was the same. We are hearing a lot of praise being given to Rodgers this season and deservedly so. I still think he does a lot more with less and that aspect is not mentioned often enough. Unless things change significantly, between now and when the voting ends, I think he has himself his 3rd MVP and let's hope his second SB ring.

Members online

Latest posts