The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Ron Wolf said his biggest regret was not getting Favre more weapons. I wonder what regrets will be associated with Rodgers?
Not keeping the offense fresh and not providing a better defensive coordinator so that he didn’t have to score 35 to win.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw this today and thought this was interesting.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just saw this today and thought this was interesting.
There does seem to be a lot of similarities in the way Favre's and Rodgers' careers have gone, even though they are very different. Funny how both are first ballot HOFers with a Super Bowl win, yet both seem to have a sense of disappointment connected with them, or probably rather their teams, for not fulfilling their potential.

There was a sense with each one, when they won their first Super Bowl, that there would be more to come, but it was not to be (at least so far). Favre came nearer, at least getting to the Super Bowl the following year and losing a close game.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There does seem to be a lot of similarities in the way Favre's and Rodgers' careers have gone, even though they are very different. Funny how both are first ballot HOFers with a Super Bowl win, yet both seem to have a sense of disappointment connected with them, or probably rather their teams, for not fulfilling their potential.

There was a sense with each one, when they won their first Super Bowl, that there would be more to come, but it was not to be (at least so far). Favre came nearer, at least getting to the Super Bowl the following year and losing a close game.

If Favre took care of the ball he would have won another SB.

It'll be hard for me to look back on the Rodgers era and not immediately think of the atrocious defenses we had to endure.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

But...but..but... should we listen to Aaron Jones's words? Or should we embrace the words of Greg Jennings and guys like **** Skipless and Coward Cowturds?

“He really cares for each and every person in the huddle,” the Georgia native said. “You may not see it everyday because there’s so much going on. But when you have a moment to interact with him, he gives you his undivided attention and I think that’s special coming from our leader. When you’re learning from a guy like that who works hard to instill confidence in you, it’s going to do nothing but wonders for your game and personal growth. In my opinion he’s only getting better and I’m excited to see how we finish the season.”

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Favre took care of the ball he would have won another SB.

It'll be hard for me to look back on the Rodgers era and not immediately think of the atrocious defenses we had to endure.
And speaking of defenses, if the Packers could have stopped Terrell Davis, they would have had another Super Bowl too. Favre and Elway both threw a pick in that game, but Favre threw for three more TDs than Elway did.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And speaking of defenses, if the Packers could have stopped Terrell Davis, they would have had another Super Bowl too. Favre and Elway both threw a pick in that game, but Favre threw for three more TDs than Elway did.

I was speaking more in general terms. The guy was an int machine. Favre probably wins one with Minny if he doesn't throw that bone headed pass. Heck, even the 2007 Packer team was primed to top NE. I truly believed it at the time until Favre gutted me.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
has gradually slipped back into hold-the-ball mode. not throwing on time or in rhythm like he was the first 4 games or so. passing O is looking more and more like last year...which isn't good.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
has gradually slipped back into hold-the-ball mode. not throwing on time or in rhythm like he was the first 4 games or so. passing O is looking more and more like last year...which isn't good.

Welcome back, you were just hoping to be able to say that at some point in the season weren't you? ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You know he was waiting for it, and in a win no less.
Well, I am pretty sure many posters are tired of hearing me complain about the receiving group over the last 2+ seasons, so I am hardly one to talk too much about his obsession with Rodgers. :D

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Welcome back, you were just hoping to be able to say that at some point in the season weren't you? ;)
well hell no. i was ecstatic about the start of the season and said so. he's got a lot of praise from me this season. i haven't said anything about the this trend before even though it's been going on for a while like i mentioned. it wasn't overnight. so i wasn't waiting to say it. kept hoping it would go away and he'd get back to the form of the first 4 games or so. maybe it's this week as adams won't be 100%. the TE's, backs, and the other WR's may get more looks in the quick passing game. he's going to be under a lot of pressure to get rid of it quickly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
maybe it's this week as adams won't be 100%. the TE's, backs, and the other WR's may get more looks in the quick passing game. he's going to be under a lot of pressure to get rid of it quickly.

The Packer offense has struggled with quick, physical front 7's, as do a lot of teams, but they seem to be Rodgers and the offense's kryptonite. The Colts will be just another test of how the Packer offense fairs against such a defense. While some like to point to "Rodgers doesn't spread the ball around enough, especially when Adams is playing", I don't buy it. When Rodgers doesn't have much time, he doesn't have the luxury of multiple check downs and if his receivers aren't getting themselves open, chances are its going to be a long day with most of the passes being quick dump offs. Which is fine, until that is all you have and the defense knows it.

For the Packers to win in Indy, Aaron Jones and Williams are probably going to have to carry the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

Rodgers is leading the league in passer rating yet you're once again back complaining about his performance. I'm already looking forward to your take once the Packers don't have a future HOFer starting at quarterback anymore.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer offense has struggled with quick, physical front 7's, as do a lot of teams, but they seem to be Rodgers and the offense's kryptonite. The Colts will be just another test of how the Packer offense fairs against such a defense. While some like to point to "Rodgers doesn't spread the ball around enough, especially when Adams is playing", I don't buy it. When Rodgers doesn't have much time, he doesn't have the luxury of multiple check downs and if his receivers aren't getting themselves open, chances are its going to be a long day with most of the passes being quick dump offs. Which is fine, until that is all you have and the defense knows it.

For the Packers to win in Indy, Aaron Jones and Williams are probably going to have to carry the offense.
I think the way to move the ball is to give Rodgers time. If that means concentrating more on stopping the blitz or strong rush, then you have to do that. But they will have to pass in order to run against the Colts imo. Hopefully they will adjust to whatever is needed.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think the way to move the ball is to give Rodgers time. If that means concentrating more on stopping the blitz or strong rush, then you have to do that. But they will have to pass in order to run against the Colts imo. Hopefully they will adjust to whatever is needed.

I think easier said than done. The Tampa Bay defense this season and the 49'ers last season figured out how to get Rodgers off his game. Don't give him much time, and without many decent receiving options (other than Davante), Rodgers has to get the ball out faster, which doesn't allow him to run through his progression of receivers, which he loves to do. So yeah in those situations, he is looking for Davante on his first and sometimes only read a lot more. If the Defense is successfully covering Davante, Rodgers is probably in for a long afternoon of frustration.

I hope that Tyler Ervin gets back soon. I think by frequently putting him in motion, he adds a dimension to the offense that can help keep defenses off balance a bit.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think easier said than done. The Tampa Bay defense this season and the 49'ers last season figured out how to get Rodgers off his game. Don't give him much time, and without many decent receiving options (other than Davante), Rodgers has to get the ball out faster, which doesn't allow him to run through his progression of receivers, which he loves to do. So yeah in those situations, he is looking for Davante on his first and sometimes only read a lot more. If the Defense is successfully covering Davante, Rodgers is probably in for a long afternoon of frustration.

I hope that Tyler Ervin gets back soon. I think by frequently putting him in motion, he adds a dimension to the offense that can help keep defenses off balance a bit.
That's why I think we have to commit as many players as it takes to keep him clean. A TE and a back at least. That would only leave 3 going out for a pass but the back or TE could peal off short after they have done their job. Or there is no blitz. That's the way I am thinking about it anyway. I've watched the Colt D and they can play very well as everyone has said. Not much point in sending out a bunch of pass catchers every play if Rodgers can't go through his progressions because of lack of time.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not much point in sending out a bunch of pass catchers every play if Rodgers can't go through his progressions because of lack of time.

Agreed. Not to belabor the point, but when Rodgers loses confidence in his receivers abilities to run routes and get open, it can turn into a long afternoon. Some will say "well that is on Rodgers". While to some extent it might be, I think its more on Gute for not providing him with better quality receiving weapons.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Not to belabor the point, but when Rodgers loses confidence in his receivers abilities to run routes and get open, it can turn into a long afternoon. Some will say "well that is on Rodgers". While to some extent it might be, I think its more on Gute for not providing him with better quality receiving weapons.
But as you said earlier about tampa bay. It can have to do with not having enough time. Gotta give him time no matter what it takes. That is more important than running your offense imo.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But as you said earlier about tampa bay. It can have to do with not having enough time. Gotta give him time no matter what it takes. That is more important than running your offense imo.

Right, while that is the goal, you can't go into every game expecting it (giving him adequate time) to happen the whole game. So, in those situations you have to have alternatives, quicker passes and shorter routes. You can only scheme so much and but if you don't have players with the required skills, you are limited in that department as well.

I hope the Packers can get the run game going, as well as have Ervin back. However, if they get into a situation where they have to mainly rely on the passing game, Indy could give them a lot of trouble.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is leading the league in passer rating yet you're once again back complaining about his performance. I'm already looking forward to your take once the Packers don't have a future HOFer starting at quarterback anymore.
yes his stats are great but the offense isn't as efficient as it was the first 4 or 5 games. it's easy to see. just pointing out the obvious. the O needs to get back to that level...especially with the struggles of the D. smh

D

Deleted member 6794

That's why I think we have to commit as many players as it takes to keep him clean. A TE and a back at least. That would only leave 3 going out for a pass but the back or TE could peal off short after they have done their job. Or there is no blitz. That's the way I am thinking about it anyway. I've watched the Colt D and they can play very well as everyone has said. Not much point in sending out a bunch of pass catchers every play if Rodgers can't go through his progressions because of lack of time.

For the record, only two teams blitz less than the Colts this season. If they're able to pressure Rodgers while only rushing four, allowing them to drop seven into coverage the Packers offense will struggle.

Has the Colts played against an offensive line as good as ours?

No, not when talking about pass protection.

yes his stats are great but the offense isn't as efficient as it was the first 4 or 5 games. it's easy to see. just pointing out the obvious. the O needs to get back to that level...especially with the struggles of the D. smh

Do you understand that Rodgers needs some help for the offense to perform at an elite level?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record, only two teams blitz less than the Colts this season. If they're able to pressure Rodgers while only rushing four, allowing them to drop seven into coverage the Packers offense will struggle.
If the Colts are able to get pressure rushing four; then we still need to keep someone back to help the O line.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts