The Aaron Rodgers performance thread

What's our main problem?

• Total voters

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So is it the receivers fault he is the 27th in off-target passing? If they ran faster they would catch up to the ball 7 yards over their heads? Catch the balls thrown into the dirt on third and fourth down? Or are you saying if they were wide open all the time that Aaron would be able to get them the ball?

Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of being the best ever if you need All-Pro's everywhere in your skill positions to be great? The Packers aren't the most talented offense in the world, but they aren't bottom 10 either. Plus they are led by supposedly best quarterback ever, and he isn't holding up his end of the deal. That's my point.

It would be nice if the Packers had some All-Pro's anywhere on offense outside of QB, WR, and LT. The real issue is that the oline is a mess at guard and, outside of Adams, the receiving group is basically kinda bad. Maybe the rookies improve and are adequate next year, but the Packers right now don't have an NFL-caliber 2nd or third WR or TE. Hard to run an offense when you have those limitations and you play one of the harder passing schedules in the NFL; let's not forget that the Packers played some REALLY good pass defenses this year in Minn (2x), Chi (2x), Bills, Rams, Wash (prior to the offense falling apart), and Ari. Playing that kind of schedule with an injured Rodgers to start the year and then rookies playing a LOT is going to hurt any offense.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
We are going to just have to agree to disagree my friend.

Never did I say release him... I just call it how I see it, and Rodgers is the single biggest reason that Rodgers isn't succeeding. If he fixes that the Packers will be in much better position to win.

The Packers have already made the ultimate commitment to Rodgers so at this point they need to go all in. If they can get a head coach like McDaniels who has experience handling a star QB with a more innovative style along with re-tooling the offensive talent this could end up just being a bad season that people will forget about.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have already made the ultimate commitment to Rodgers so at this point they need to go all in. If they can get a head coach like McDaniels who has experience handling a star QB with a more innovative style along with re-tooling the offensive talent this could end up just being a bad season that people will forget about.

You like McDaniels.... We can no longer be friends :confused:

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really hope we all look back at this thread and laugh next year, but we have to wait.

In my eyes, the knee has clearly been messing with him all year, both physically and mentally.

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many times I have to say this. Aaron Rodgers has not played up to his all time great capability this season. There's absolutely no question about it. He's a major factor in what has gone wrong with the Packers. There's absolutely no question about it. He HAS to play better or the Packers simply will not have a chance. Everyone knows that.

All I'm saying is that his "below his normal standard" play isn't due to diminishing talent.
People were saying the same thing about Cowboys passing game after they cut Dez. They signed Amari and the Dallas Offense instantly got getter. That’s with a mediocre passing QB (at best) in Prescott.
You won’t convince me that a healthy Aaron Rodgers isn’t better with the proper supporting cast. Thus far we have withheld resources from him instead of feeding him with more. He’s a great QB, but you’re dont win races with a substandard engine no matter how good you can drive a car.
I can all but promise you. Give #12 at least 4 more top notch players worthy of their salt (2 more stellar O lineman and at minimum 1 more receiver and 1 more feature RB who’s dangerous in the passing game (think a young Sproles type) and you’ll see a stark difference in Aaron’s game.
Aaron lost Monty and Jordy this year. He was given 2 aging TEs and 1 semi washed up lineman!

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Really hope we all look back at this thread and laugh next year, but we have to wait.

In my eyes, the knee has clearly been messing with him all year, both physically and mentally.

It's a legitimate excuse. In 2016 Russell Wilson had the same injury and matched his career high in interceptions while a career low in TD's and Passer rating. People in Seatlle were concerened.

Rodgers gave us everything he had this year and basically went out there with one working leg the most of the season and people question his leadership and attitude. It's gotten ridiculous.

Go get some more talent on offense and a new OC.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's see what the Cowboys really do with Cooper though. They've been all over the place. He helped them beat the Eagles one week and they get shut out the next. the week before the Eagles they scored less than 20 I think. It's not he's turned them into a power house or even anything more than a run based team. Take Cooper off that team, they're probably still about the same as without. Keep Cooper on it and take Zeke off and watch them plummet.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's a legitimate excuse. In 2016 Russell Wilson had the same injury and matched his career high in interceptions while a career low in TD's and Passer rating. People in Seatlle were concerened.

Rodgers gave us everything he had this year and basically went out there with one working leg the most of the season and people question his leadership and attitude. It's gotten ridiculous.

Go get some more talent on offense and a new OC.
Thank you.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i don't have a problem him either. who cares if he shafted the colts. lol
he seems to be a guy of low moral character. i know that's not important to some people, but then I've never been the guy that wonders why my mistress I left my wife for is ****ing someone else now.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
You have to freaking be kidding me.

Another season of Aaron Rodgers not living up to the hype? Really? The only season you can make the argument that Rodgers didn't live up to the hype is 2015, where there were a million factors that contributed to his below standard play, some of which include the injury to Jordy, a fat Eddie Lacy, Richard friggin' Rodgers as your #1 tight end, receivers that couldn't separate, receivers that routinely dropped passes, two different play callers after McCarthy took that responsibility from Clements after giving it to him in the beginning. And all he did was still throw 31 TDs to 8 INTs. Yes, it was a down year for him and he played his part in it, but lets not act as if there weren't reasons that attributed to his below standard play. And oh by the way he got a Packers team with a washed up James Jones, two receivers that caught a total of 11 balls from Rodgers all year long (Janis, Abbrederis), the "elite" Richard Rodgers, and two joke-worthy running backs in a fat Lacy and a flailing James Starks --- No Jordy, no Davante, no Cobb after the 1st quarter to overtime against a 13-3 Arizona Cardinals team, and never got the football in overtime. This was after winning a playoff game in the wild card round...

THAT is Rodgers' worst year of his career up until 2018.

Please give me another season besides 2015 and 2018 where you could make the argument that Aaron Rodgers didn't live up to the hype.

I'll just go since the Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010.....

2011 - 122.5 passer rating, 45 TDs to 6 INTs, 68.3% completions, 4,643 yards (MVP)
2012 - 108.0 passer rating, 39 TDs to 8 INTs, 67.2% completions, 4,295 yards
2013 - 104.9 passer rating, 17 TDs to 6 INTs, 66.6% completions, 2,536 yards (9 games)
2014 - 112.2 passer rating, 38 TDs to 5 INTs, 65.6% completions, 4,381 yards (MVP)
2015 - already been discussed
2016 - 104.2 passer rating, 40 TDs to 7 INTs, 65.7% completions, 4,428 yards
2017 - 97.2 passer rating, 16 TDs to 6 INTs, 64.7% completions, 1,675 yards (7 games)

As a side note, Rodgers' passer rating was north of 100 in 2017 before being thrown into a game against a stout Carolina Panthers defense on the road in his first game back from the collarbone injury.

I'm going to concede that 2018 hasn't been a great year at all by his standards.

But 2015 and 2018 is all you've got. Before you bring me playoff games that he's lost, the man has better playoff numbers across the board than Tom Brady, no matter which metric you decide to use. Every single individual statistic, Rodgers has Brady bested.

I get that some are disappointed in Rodgers right now, but my goodness this notion that he's routinely disappointed the Packers that I'm reading from multiple people on this forum is so ill-informed and irresponsibly false.

Seems to me that to some on this board, Rodgers is never responsible for anything ... except when GB wins ... - Then its because of Rodgers, despite of the team/coach/*insert what-ever* ...

Stats can be "cherry-picked" - I'll give you an example;

Regular season:

2008 - 12th ... First year as starter
2009 - 9th ... (Brady, Rivers, Manning, Brees and Favre)
2010 - SB year - 4th behind Brady, Rivers and Manning
2011 - 2nd behind Drew Brees
2012 - 4th behind Brady, Manning and Brees
2013 - 10th ... (Manning, Rivers, Brees, Ryan and Foles)
2014 - 2nd behind Rothlisberger
2015 - 17th ... (Palmer, Brady, Wilson, Dalton and Rothlisberger)
2016 - 6th behind Ryan, Brees, Cousins, Prescott and Brady
2017 - 18th ... (Brady, Rivers, Brees, Keenum and Rothlisberger)
2018 - 9th ...

Stats always needs to be seen in context ... I could write something here, but that would just make this post getting moved to another section ... :whistling:

However the above can also be used to illustrate, that Rodgers isn't as "dominant" a player that some ppl would like to think he is ... - Rodgers isn't a "Giant among his peers" ...

If anything, this season has showed that Rodgers isn't the leader on the field he needs to be ...

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he seems to be a guy of low moral character. i know that's not important to some people, but then I've never been the guy that wonders why my mistress I left my wife for is ******* someone else now.
low moral character? over changing his mind about the colts? come on. reneging on a verbal agreement a few days later isn't great but to say he's of low moral character is quite a stretch. wishy washy on uprooting family over a job? not that big a deal. agreements in principal fall through all the time.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
low moral character? over changing his mind about the colts? come on. reneging on a verbal agreement a few days later isn't great but to say he's of low moral character is quite a stretch. wishy washy on uprooting family over a job? not that big a deal. agreements in principal fall through all the time.
This isn't his only mark against him, or maybe i'd agree with you. But being wishy washy is one thing before deciding something that big. Having decided and then saying, nahhhh, is another, but acceptable. This, plus that, plus the other thing, well I'm starting to see a pattern.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw something interesting. Wayne Rogers threw to Adams, Cobb, or Allison this season, his completion percentage was 66%, is ypa was 8.3, and passer rating was 115.1.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't his only mark against him, or maybe i'd agree with you. But being wishy washy is one thing before deciding something that big. Having decided and then saying, nahhhh, is another, but acceptable. This, plus that, plus the other thing, well I'm starting to see a pattern.
oh ok. i haven't heard anything other than the colts thing.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL!!! It's the damn talk to the phone feature! It keeps tripping me up in the weirdest ways! I'll try when Rodgers throws for 100 Alex!

Reaction score
Don’t throw the ball in the dirt and don’t overthrow the receiver and you get catches. Hit the open guy and you get yards. Not hard to see what is wrong from that standpoint. Rodgers is either/both hurt and under pressure from the contract.
#12 played with a brace on for the majorty of this season. Even the casual spectator knows that affects performance. Then we take one of our top Wideouts who Aaron also has chemistry with and replace him with three 3rd day picks out of desperation to hopefully land 1 good one? There’s not a QB in this league that could go out there under these circumstances and made this a playoff caliber team.
Let’s quit being overly critical of Aaron.
I understand being frustrated and needing an outlet but let’s be honest here the entire team kinda sucked with very few bright spots. Tom Brady on a healthy leg all season wouldn’t take this team to the post season!

Last edited:

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see why it can't be both. It is well known that we havent spent much in the draft and in FA on offense for the last couple of years. Then again, if Aarod is truly the greatest QB talent to have ever lived, one could argue that he would be able to have performed better this season, even with the somewhat mediocre talent on offense. Sure, he has had an injury hold him back, but one would argue this would make Aarod throw the ball faster, something which he hasn't done. Furthermore, it's not like the offensive pieces are simply trash (Raiders. Jaguars, Redskins to name a few?).

Maybe we have underestimated how good our supporting cast has been between 2010-2015. We had an unspectacular, yet solid and dependable run game in Starks and Lacy. Together with always being able to field 2 in their prime receivers in Jennings - Nelson - Cobb and fielding even stronger OL's than we had recently, and Aaron was poised to shine. And maybe that made Aarod look a bit better than he actually is.

Im extremely confident Aaron can still perform at a high level for the duration of his contract. He will just have to learn to be comfortable in the pocket again and decide to air it out faster, especially if his mobility is limited from here on forward. Let's also hope that if he does decide to roll out, he can get some of that deep ball accuracy back that we were used to seeing of him. But in order for any of this things to happen, we will have to get Aarod confident again. And we do that by supporting him heavily in the draft by loading up on OL and taking a premier talent at WR and/or RB.

That being said, Id still like to see an EDGE rusher with our first pick. :confused:

Members online

Latest posts