The Aaron Jones Show?!!!

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones is entering his 28th year of existence, and his 6th year in the NFL.

56 Total Touchdowns (41 Rushing & 12 Receiving) WOW!!!

I think this is the year, where Aaron Jones establishes himself as a true dual threat RB a la McCaffrey.

No matter the results of the draft or whatever happens in free agency, Aaron Jones is the best offensive weapon outside AR12.

Aaron Jones is entering the last year before the cap hit on his deal quintuples in a
mount from 5.9M to 20M.

His amount net cash will triple in amount.

Davante Adams is gone.

This is the 4th year the MLF system, the HC is under more pressure than ever. Its time to graduate.

All signs point to Aaron Jones featuring heavily in the passing game in addition to his special skills as a runner.

Should Aaron Jones be the focal point of the offense this season?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Aaron Jones a lot. I think he will continue to be a big part of the O. I don't think he should be THE focal point. I think he will just be very valuable on an O that will not need a single focal point. Especially if we draft two wide receivers with the top two picks and also will be utilizing AJ Dillon. Whether we stay pat or trade down a little bit with the 2nd pick. And I want him as fresh as possible for the stretch run.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Aaron Jones a lot. I think he will continue to be a big part of the O. I don't think he should be THE focal point. I think he will just be very valuable on an O that will not need a single focal point. Especially if we draft two wide receivers with the top two picks and also will be utilizing AJ Dillon. Whether we stay pat or trade down a little bit with the 2nd pick. And I want him as fresh as possible for the stretch run.

I hope MLF let's Dillon split the carries with Jones.

I really expected Dillon to hit 1,000 yds last season.

Hopefully, he will this season.

Aaron Jones has a good chance at being the 2022-2023 NFL leader in scrimmage yards.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the passing offense possibly struggling because of a lack of talent at wide receiver I fully expect Dillon to get more touches than Jones in 2022 as he's better suited to have success against teams not having to focus on defending the pass as much as in past seasons.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope MLF let's Dillon split the carries with Jones.

I really expected Dillon to hit 1,000 yds last season.

Hopefully, he will this season.

Aaron Jones has a good chance at being the 2022-2023 NFL leader in scrimmage yards.
I think you have to take it game by game. Maybe it will turn out 50/50 but I think against some teams D that Dillon will be more effective and against others Jones will be better. And sometimes it will just work to mix it up. They are so different.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure?

As of today, who's Rodgers throwing to?

Run game will be emphasized.

Lazard, Cobb, Rodgers, Winfree and Taylor most likely. Maybe Gafford if we kept 6 and today was when final roster cuts had to be made...at least in the WR room. Of course our RBs no doubt will account like normal for 60-80 receptions, and TE room similar.

He could always also target a Lineman designated as a TE on a play or even himself on a tip play.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Somewhere on this board, I catalogued all the results on offense when Adams missed games since 2019.

The long and short of it was that RB's saw way more targets.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
He's going to need to carry the missing load on offense now without Adams.

Reaction score
I really like #33. He’s been a fantastic value selection and a consummate professional.
He’s a top producer and he may become more of a focal point this season. I’m obviously factoring in his age more on an extension, but absolutely attempting to retain him.

The only thing that would diminish some interest in Aaron is if we draft a Rookie RB that shows up early or Dillon or Khylin Hill re-emerges on a warpath.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would expect to see more two back sets with Jones and Dillon. Try to get Jones more touches with jet sweeps and bubble screens. Hoping for better run blocking to give Jones more opportunities to get into the secondary and break off some big runs.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really like #33. He’s been a fantastic value selection and a consummate professional.
He’s a top producer and he may become more of a focal point this season. I’m obviously factoring in his age more on an extension, but absolutely attempting to retain him.

The only thing that would diminish some interest in Aaron is if we draft a Rookie RB that shows up early or Dillon or Khylin Hill re-emerges on a warpath.
Hopefully Kylin Hill emerges as that much needed change of pace RB we need.

Insurance for both Dillon and Jones, as well as opportunities on special teams.

A 3rd RB ready to go is such a nice luxury to have.

D

Deleted member 6794

Somewhere on this board, I catalogued all the results on offense when Adams missed games since 2019.

The long and short of it was that RB's saw way more targets.

True, as I've posted in another thread as well Rodgers actually targeted running backs on 55.5% of his throws in the seven games Adams missed over the last three seasons.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Kylin Hill emerges as that much needed change of pace RB we need.

Insurance for both Dillon and Jones, as well as opportunities on special teams.

A 3rd RB ready to go is such a nice luxury to have.

Taylor showed capable as well. I’m comfortable with those four presently…if Kylin isn’t back to same we will be scouting PS around league. May even spend a 7th this year on one or prioritize that in UDFAs

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you sure?

As of today, who's Rodgers throwing to?

Run game will be emphasized.
Pretty sure. I could be wrong but I would think it would be pretty difficult to lead the league in yards from scrimmage if you are splitting carries with another back. Especially if the other back has a good chance at 1000 yards rushing.

I'm not really concerned about as of today because I'm reasonably certain at least half of the WRs on the roster as of today won't be there when the season starts and those who replace them will be much better and catch a lot more passes.

Note I typed this after Watkins was signed but worded it such that it appears I wrote it before since the post I responded to was made before.

Since Watkins had been signed I'm thinking he will have more catches than the bottom 3, maybe bottom 4 "as of now" receivers combined.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty sure. I could be wrong but I would think it would be pretty difficult to lead the league in yards from scrimmage if you are splitting carries with another back. Especially if the other back has a good chance at 1000 yards rushing.

Aaron Jones doesn't need to rush for a 1,000 yds to lead the league in scrimmage yards.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron Jones doesn't need to rush for a 1,000 yds to lead the league in scrimmage yards.
Never said he did. Dillon would be the other back. You said Dillon hopefully will have 1000 yards and Jones could lead the league in yards from scrimmage. I don't think having a 1000 yard rusher plus another back leading the league in total yards is something that would be very realistic.

That would be probably 3000 yards from the pair which I don't think is likely. Now if you meant one or the other then yeah, I would agree but I still think jones will have a tough time getting enough touches with Dillon in the picture.

Besides that, when you look at total yards leaders most of them gain a large percentage of their yards by having very big years via their primary means. Most have at least twice as many yards gained one way or the other not too many are roughly equal in rushing and receiving.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Am i the only one that thinks relying heavily on the running game after giving all that money to the best QB in the league is indicative of poor planning? I’m not arguing that relying on the running game is a bad idea, based on available personnel, but just seems strange to be forced to build an offense around the running game after the contract they just gave Rodgers.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be probably 3000 yards from the pair which I don't think is likely. Now if you meant one or the other then yeah, I would agree but I still think jones will have a tough time getting enough touches with Dillon in the picture.
There is no way Dillon will get featured more than Jones unless he gets injured.

He just signed an extension and it would be foolish to think Jones isn't gonna get a whole lot of volume dependent on his cap hit.

D

Deleted member 6794

For each of the last six seasons the player who ended up leading the league in scrimmage yards eclipse 2,000 yards. I highly doubt Jones would be able to achieve that feat while not rushing for at least 1,000 yards as I don't expect him to have more than 1,000 receiving yards in 2022.

Now if you meant one or the other then yeah, I would agree but I still think jones will have a tough time getting enough touches with Dillon in the picture.

I'm not sure that's what you meant but I don't believe either Dillon or Jones will get anywhere close to leading the league in yards from scrimmage next season.

There is no way Dillon will get featured more than Jones unless he gets injured.

He just signed an extension and it would be foolish to think Jones isn't gonna get a whole lot of volume dependent on his cap hit.

I think Dillon is better suited to have success against opponents who might be able to put an extra defender in the box compared to past seasons as they don't have to double team any receiver currently on the roster.

The only reason the Packers extended Jones was to lower his cap hit for this season.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For each of the last six seasons the player who ended up leading the league in scrimmage yards eclipse 2,000 yards. I highly doubt Jones would be able to achieve that feat while not rushing for at least 1,000 yards as I don't expect him to have more than 1,000 receiving yards in 2022.

I'm not sure that's what you meant but I don't believe either Dillon or Jones will get anywhere close to leading the league in yards from scrimmage next season.

I think Dillon is better suited to have success against opponents who might be able to put an extra defender in the box compared to past seasons as they don't have to double team any receiver currently on the roster.

The only reason the Packers extended Jones was to lower his cap hit for this season.
I'd like to think that wasn't the only reason.

True they wanted to lower his cap hit, because...Green Bay wanted to keep him.

Why?

Aaron Jones is a weapon Green Bay wanted to keep, which is the most important reason.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd like to think that wasn't the only reason.

True they wanted to lower his cap hit, because...Green Bay wanted to keep him.

Why?

Aaron Jones is a weapon Green Bay wanted to keep, which is the most important reason.

Of course the Packers wanted to keep Jones but they could have done that even without extending him. It was clear from the time he re-signed with the team last year that next season will be his last one in Green Bay and the extension didn't change anything about it.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course the Packers wanted to keep Jones but they could have done that even without extending him. It was clear from the time he re-signed with the team last year that next season will be his last one in Green Bay and the extension didn't change anything about it.
Until Mr. Jones is in another jersey, we can't be sure of that.

Members online

Latest posts