The 5 Love Directions

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 5 Love Languages Directions

When Love was drafted I think it is a safe assumption that nearly the entire Green Bay fan base paused for a moment before reacting...some were shocked that it actually happened, some were pissed, some were just speechless; needless to say it was one of the biggest "moments" in Gute's reign in GB. Speaking of Gute, for a man who has honestly excelled at so many personnel moves in his time, for some none of it matters because he drafted Love. That however is a discussion for another thread.

This thread however is to discuss the future of Love...what do you feel is the most likely scenario of the 5 options we now have before us as an organization that just inked Rodgers (or will be inking) to a new deal "rumored to be four years" but most likely will mean at minimum 3 more seasons with good health that Rodgers is in GB. How does that impact Love?

Love's contract for those perhaps not aware runs through the end of the 2023 season/year. The Packers after 2022, could exercise the fifth year option on him being a first round pick - BUT that would cost per some estimations of around $20M. It's tough to imagine the Packers doing that as that would be the third year of Rodgers new deal and even conservatively would mean around $45-$60M would be hitting cap just in the QB room.

So the first question I pose is the easiest one to answer IMO - do we franchise tag him?

I say emphatically no, and it isn't for any other reason than it would be fiscally ignorant to do so. None of us know (the organization would be only ones that truly might know) what Love really is...his rookie year was essentially a redshirt oddity with Covid, this last season was more "normal" but he still hasn't seen a true gameplan installed and know he was going to play for the entire week up to a game. He has struggled for sure, shown bright spots in camp and in some preseason games - but nothing to place the tag.

That leads us to what I believe are the five directions for Love and GB that are left....(in no specific order of my personal opinion)

Love goes nowhere till his contract is up with no 5th year exercised. Agree/Disagree it doesn't matter, GB and staff have a young QB they believe in as their backup, which for 2022 and 2023 is rather affordable (hits of 3.37M & 3.94M). After the 2023 season anyone's guess is as good as another in this scenario....means we could get nothing in return other than backup service for years out of Love, or could end up that plus whatever compensatory pick he may bring signing elsewhere.

Love is traded this year before trade deadline. Arguably this is the weakest QB class draftwise that we have had some are saying for over ten years....and get this....Love doesn't turn 24 till November - Pickett is actually older than Love turning 24 in June. Willis will turn 23 in May, Ridder 23 in August and Howell 22 in September. Love has two years, albeit not normal years, of NFL exposure and experience in an excellent system with an awesome QB coach and behind a first ballot HOFer...there is a lot to like about that vs a weaker class of college QBs to choose from. A bonus to the team trading for Love in this scenario is IF he lights it up, the team could choose to exercise his 5th year option...just to keep him in house for two additional years, with that next (4th) year still at a low figure and discussions can happen before that 5th year hits in guaranteed money (if I understand that part of things right). Either way having that option is the one bonus attractiveness here as well if you are a suitor looking at Love.

Love is traded at the completion of this year/into next year. This scenario the suitor most likely will NOT exercise the 5th year and is purely looking at rolling the dice on a young QB, with unknown promise still that perhaps showed something to them in the previous (2022) season to catch their attention. Low cost/risk here and could in season or after a successful one then discuss a deal extension or new contract with Love should it work out.

Green Bay keeps Love, exercises the 5th year option. I put it down, because it is an option and direction which exists...however outside of Rodgers waffling again or a catastrophic injury (knock on wood) in the 2022 season - it is a scenario with the new Rodgers deal coming that just makes very little sense. I know I said I wouldn't place personal opinion on these but I feel this direction has less than a 1% chance of occurring if placing percent likelihoods next to these.

Love is the starter in GB for the 2023 season after Rodgers retires. This similar to #4 could happen, but I just don't see happening unless Rodgers rides off into the sunset after a SB win in 2022.

As for my personal bet, I'm struggling to figure out which camp I fall in between #2 & #3. There is sound fiscal logic behind #1, and doing #2 & #3 is in a way admitting a faulty pick - or some would argue it is. However, if I'm Gute I see it as you never expected Rodgers still in many ways had his best years ahead of him and/or that you would be able to retain him this long....so it is wise now to move Love and draft or sign a different back up. In the end, I think I'd be calling a lot of GMs this year given the draft class is so weak...you know even a team that is supposedly looking hard at Trubisky, he isn't going to cost a ton - bring in Love at a cheap value as well, and see how rises in the competition...or a team that truly doesn't expect to be in the hunt and with QB "need" like the Lions or similar team, Love for a year to see what you can get out of him is arguably attractive in a way. I think realistically the best GB could hope for in return for Love (which could be a thread in and of itself) is a conditional 2nd rounder + a 7th or so. I mean even Josh Rosen got a 2nd in return...which that is the most similar recent comparable trade we can point to. So you get a team that will give you a 7th and then a 4th that could conditionally escalate as high as a 2nd I believe personally you have to do it.

FTR, as I've harped and harped on...I liked Love as a prospect a LOT. He was my QB 2 in that draft, BUT I would have never traded up for him or picked him as I just felt it wasn't a need I perceived (clearly organization felt differently...who knows maybe justified and a ton has changed since). Jordan Love is a HIGH character young man, from my connections to the team he is loved by his teammates and the kid has ability for sure - love to see him get a chance at a shot somewhere else.

What do you predict happens?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end, I think I'd be calling a lot of GMs this year given the draft class is so weak...you know even a team that is supposedly looking hard at Trubisky, he isn't going to cost a ton - bring in Love at a cheap value as well, and see how rises in the competition...or a team that truly doesn't expect to be in the hunt and with QB "need" like the Lions or similar team, Love for a year to see what you can get out of him is arguably attractive in a way. I think realistically the best GB could hope for in return for Love (which could be a thread in and of itself) is a conditional 2nd rounder + a 7th or so.

I don't know what would compel the Packers to trade Love to a divisional foe.

No. No thank you. The move for Love was foolhardy and giving Rodgers the huge deal was the organization confirming they got it wrong, specifically Gute.

I think Love needs to get moved to a team with volatility at the QB position. Destinations include New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Houston, Seattle, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, D.C., NY (both teams), and possibly Indianapolis.

Wait until draft day, find a desperate team, and take adavantage.

No matter the compensation, it will never compare to what GB gave up, to get Love in the first place.

Time to get a veteran backup QB that fits the timeline of a Super Bowl contending team.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know what would compel the Packers to trade Love to a divisional foe.

No. No thank you. The move for Love was foolhardy and giving Rodgers the huge deal was the organization confirming they got it wrong, specifically Gute.

I think Love needs to get moved to a team with volatility at the QB position. Destinations include New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Houston, Seattle, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, D.C., NY (both teams), and possibly Indianapolis.

Wait until draft day, find a desperate team, and take adavantage.

No matter the compensation, it will never compare to what GB gave up, to get Love in the first place.

Time to get a veteran backup QB that fits the timeline of a Super Bowl contending team.

I said a team like the Lions, one in search of a QB but also not a contender. Steelers as example don't feel they're in a massive rebuild - Tomlin with a sufficient QB puts Steelers right back in the divisional hunt. Lions you cannot say that about....some would argue Washington possibly however that roster is sneaky better than many realize that don't really look it over. If the Saints were ready to strip it down and restart (which they may be) that could be an option as well.

Budman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very sound post @tynimiller ! I can't really add anything as I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I lean more towards #1 but if #2 or #3 becomes a viable option, in that other teams are interested, I think Gutey has to pull the trigger on it. I struggle with it because I want to see the young man succeed. I go back to your point of having him as QB2 in that draft, and the fact that this FO moved up for him, that I would like to see that potential realized in GB. That doesn't look like that will happen, so if Gutey can get a decent pick, he might as well do it.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I vehemently push back on this actually.

Signing Rodgers is a team keeping a first ballot HOF QB in their building that just came off of two MVPs. Rodgers excelling in the way he has the last two years is something no one really saw or could have predicted with reason it was coming; especially not to the level. Clearly the organization also like Rodgers realized the end might be closer on the horizon then we all thought....however like Brady, Rodgers has showcased that he might be one of those rare QBs that can excel at a VERY high level beyond the norm and that horizon was a touch farther away.

The pick might end up being judged as wrong with reason, it doesn't change that there may have been logically and reasonable thought process behind making it however.

I wouldn't have done it as I've said.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said a team like the Lions, one in search of a QB but also not a contender. Steelers as example don't feel they're in a massive rebuild - Tomlin with a sufficient QB puts Steelers right back in the divisional hunt. Lions you cannot say that about....some would argue Washington possibly however that roster is sneaky better than many realize that don't really look it over. If the Saints were ready to strip it down and restart (which they may be) that could be an option as well.

I understand your sentiment.

Any team but the Lions, Bears, or Vikings.

Could you imagine trading Love to one of these teams, and he ascends to fulfilling his potential?

Why create another potential roadblock to winning the division?

I think the Steelers, Commanders and Seahawks are the only teams willing to give up a 1st round pick (their 20th pick) for a QB.

With the Wilson trade, Seattle will look for a cheap QB with upside, why not a backup to the MVP?

Seattle trades the 9th pick to Green Bay Packers for Jordan Love and other compensation.

Commanders trade the 11th pick to Green Bay for Jordan Love and other compensation.

Steelers trade the 20th pick to the Green Bay Packers for Jordan and other compensation.

These teams are on the fringe looking for the "right" QB to ascend with.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand your sentiment.

Any team but the Lions, Bears, or Vikings.

Could you imagine trading Love to one of these teams, and he ascends to fulfilling his potential?

Why create another potential roadblock to winning the division?

I think the Steelers, Commanders and Seahawks are the only teams willing to give up a 1st round pick (their 20th pick) for a QB.

With the Wilson trade, Seattle will look for a cheap QB with upside, why not a backup to the MVP?

Seattle trades the 9th pick to Green Bay Packers for Jordan Love and other compensation.

Commanders trade the 11th pick to Green Bay for Jordan Love and other compensation.

Steelers trade the 20th pick to the Green Bay Packers for Jordan and other compensation.

These teams are on the fringe looking for the "right" QB to ascend with.

LOL, no one is giving the Packers a 1st rounder this year for Love straight up. I personally, even being as big of a fan of him as I am see that happening. If he is traded this year it will be Day 2 and/or Day 3 pick or picks...only way a Day 1 pick is involved would be a future one and most likely conditional.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Signing Rodgers is a team keeping a first ballot HOF QB in their building that just came off of two MVPs. Rodgers excelling in the way he has the last two years is something no one really saw or could have predicted with reason it was coming; especially not to the level. Clearly the organization also like Rodgers realized the end might be closer on the horizon then we all thought....however like Brady, Rodgers has showcased that he might be one of those rare QBs that can excel at a VERY high level beyond the norm and that horizon was a touch farther away.

The pick might end up being judged as wrong with reason, it doesn't change that there may have been logically and reasonable thought process behind making it however.

I don't think anyone questions the reason for moving up to get Love. We all get it.

However...

Intention and results are not mutually exclusive.

GB was hedging their bets. They got it wrong.

Trade Love, keep Love, it doesn't matter.

What they thought would happen did not happen, in fact the opposite happened.

3 years later, this was the wrong move.

Time reveals all.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL, no one is giving the Packers a 1st rounder this year for Love straight up. I personally, even being as big of a fan of him as I am see that happening. If he is traded this year it will be Day 2 and/or Day 3 pick or picks...only way a Day 1 pick is involved would be a future one and most likely conditional.

We'll see. I bookmarked your quote just in case.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We'll see. I bookmarked your quote just in case.

I will LOVE (pun intended) and embrace it if it happens!!! Hope I am honestly!

Now here is a thought, could Gute convince Seattle or Commanders to do a trade of picks? Our 28th and Love for their First this year and also a 2nd or 3rd?

The team still gets a first rounder (albeit later) and send a Day 2 for Love. We then would be in the area of where some of the TOP FLIGHT DL and EDGE and even CBs will be there for Gute to take a guy high on his board.

That is a scenario I believe could occur more than just us getting the 9th or 11th for Love straight.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see the Trade Value in Love. Lots of QB needy teams bypassed him in the draft, he hasn't shown anything so far in the NFL to change minds really. So WHO is going to give up a 2nd rounder for him? No way on a first. I'd take it if someone offered a 1st, no question. yeah we need a back up then, i'll deal with that.

But I can't see anyone giving a 2nd rounder even.

On the other side, unless GB has decided he's not at all what they thought he was or could be, I don't really have to think if a 2nd is offered and for a 3rd or lower? well yeah, if you've decided he's no good, sure.

But I don't think they feel that way about him. So even at a 2nd it's a maybe. 3rd or lower? which I don't even see him making any other team give up a 3rd, but if they did if GB has any thoughts he's still capable of what they thought, why get rid of him? yeah you have Rodgers, but you also need a QB just in case and it's just going to cost another pick or a decent amount of cap for a back up vet.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will LOVE (pun intended) and embrace it if it happens!!! Hope I am honestly!

Now here is a thought, could Gute convince Seattle or Commanders to do a trade of picks? Our 28th and Love for their First this year and also a 2nd or 3rd?

The team still gets a first rounder (albeit later) and send a Day 2 for Love. We then would be in the area of where some of the TOP FLIGHT DL and EDGE and even CBs will be there for Gute to take a guy high on his board.

That is a scenario I believe could occur more than just us getting the 9th or 11th for Love straight.

Why help another team desperate for a QB? The point is to win the trade not lose leverage.

I think a desperate team will emerge around the draft and might inquire.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why help another team desperate for a QB? The point is to win the trade not lose leverage.

I think a desperate team will emerge around the draft and might inquire.

Because there is a lot of argument that can be sent back to Gute on why Love isn't worth being desperate for. I like Love, but I try to stay objective, I simply don't see Day 1 value outside of a highly conditional trade for him on a future 1.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see the Trade Value in Love. Lots of QB needy teams bypassed him in the draft, he hasn't shown anything so far in the NFL to change minds really. So WHO is going to give up a 2nd rounder for him? No way on a first. I'd take it if someone offered a 1st, no question. yeah we need a back up then, i'll deal with that.

But I can't see anyone giving a 2nd rounder even.

On the other side, unless GB has decided he's not at all what they thought he was or could be, I don't really have to think if a 2nd is offered and for a 3rd or lower? well yeah, if you've decided he's no good, sure.

But I don't think they feel that way about him. So even at a 2nd it's a maybe. 3rd or lower? which I don't even see him making any other team give up a 3rd, but if they did if GB has any thoughts he's still capable of what they thought, why get rid of him? yeah you have Rodgers, but you also need a QB just in case and it's just going to cost another pick or a decent amount of cap for a back up vet.

Teams bypassed him....List some teams that bypassed on him that arguably needed a QB that year? New England is the one that comes to mind for me. Once Miami picked Tua, really the only team I saw on the board before us was the Eagles...which is why many felt it was odd Gute traded up with such a strong likelihood Love was still there at his original pick spot.

Love is better and nearly same age as the top 4 QBs in this draft. If I'm a team that needs a QB and I don't go after Jimmy G, I'm more willing to send a 2nd rounder for Love on his rookie deal to see what he is rather than a true blue rookie.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because there is a lot of argument that can be sent back to Gute on why Love isn't worth being desperate for. I like Love, but I try to stay objective, I simply don't see Day 1 value outside of a highly conditional trade for him on a future 1.

I think its about market value, not the actual valuation of Jordan Love. Players get contracts based on potential over production all the time (i.e. Matt Flynn). As long as desperate team needs a QB, I would imagine Jordan Love is a far better prospect than anyone in the 2022 QB class.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nah man. If this team had any confidence in Love they would have moved on. Favre was a first ballot HOF coming off an MVP caliber season as well but they believed in Rodgers. That would have been a career ending move for TT if he wasnt sure Rodgers was going to be the guy moving forward. This move showed this team has no confidence in Love. They could have gotten good compensation to retool with and resetting their cap in essentially a year.

Credit to Gutey for realizing he was a moron drafting Love though. It takes a lot for someone to realize theyre an idiot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah man. If this team had any confidence in Love they would have moved on. Favre was a first ballot HOF coming off an MVP caliber season as well but they believed in Rodgers. That would have been a career ending move for TT if he wasnt sure Rodgers was going to be the guy moving forward. This move showed this team has no confidence in Love. They could have gotten good compensation to retool with and resetting their cap in essentially a year.

Credit to Gutey for realizing he was a moron drafting Love though. It takes a lot for someone to realize their an idiot.

LOL....if they felt he was 2022 HOF playing level quality like Rodgers sure they move on. Duh.

Favre said he was going to retire...

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unintended circumstances happen all of the time in sports. GM's can draft a great player, who gets immediately injured and the blame falls on the GM. The pendulum swings the other way too. You're obviously convinced that Gutekunst was a "moron" for drafting Love, but the unintended consequence was that it appears to have pissed off Rodgers into ripping off two MVP seasons. In that sense was it a waste? Maybe not. Even had we drafted a good [insert positional need here] with that pick, had Rodgers kept playing on the trajectory he was on we wouldn't have won as many games. His play has clearly improved. Was it LaFleur's scheme? Rodgers being ticked off? Other factors? Probably a combination of all.

KiDcUdI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unintended circumstances happen all of the time in sports. GM's can draft a great player, who gets immediately injured and the blame falls on the GM. The pendulum swings the other way too. You're obviously convinced that Gutekunst was a "moron" for drafting Love, but the unintended consequence was that it appears to have pissed off Rodgers into ripping off two MVP seasons. In that sense was it a waste? Maybe not. Even had we drafted a good [insert positional need here] with that pick, had Rodgers kept playing on the trajectory he was on we wouldn't have won as many games. His play has clearly improved. Was it LaFleur's scheme? Rodgers being ticked off? Other factors? Probably a combination of all.
The drafting of Love did nothing for Rodgers winning MVPs. Im so tired of that garbage narrative. I swear people will say anything they can to defend that pick. Do you people really think having a useless bench QB is more valuable than giving Rodgers another WR. We probably win a SB in 2020 if Lazard isnt on the field. People always talk about how bad King was but Lazard cost us 8 points against TB.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The drafting of Love did nothing for Rodgers winning MVPs. Im so tired of that garbage narrative. I swear people will say anything they can to defend that pick. Do you people really think having a useless bench QB is more valuable than giving Rodgers another WR. We probably win a SB in 2020 if Lazard isnt on the field. People always talk about how bad King was but Lazard cost us 8 points against TB.

For a man that speaks in such definitive terms when it fits your narrative you sure speak in a bunch of provisional type statements as well "if Lazard wasn't on the field" and such.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Giving the rumored length of Rodgers' new deal, it makes the most sense to trade Love.

The Colts now have a need at QB and reportedly were high on Love prior to that draft.

The Seahawks have been very aggressive in acquiring QB's in the past and obviously have a need.

The Panthers, Saints, and Bucs could also theoretically be interested as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giving the rumored length of Rodgers' new deal, it makes the most sense to trade Love.

The Colts now have a need at QB and reportedly were high on Love prior to that draft.

The Seahawks have been very aggressive in acquiring QB's in the past and obviously have a need.

The Panthers, Saints, and Bucs could also theoretically be interested as well.

I'd target the Colts as well, that 2nd rounder they have this year has my eye BUT doubt they do it because that is their first pick this year...which most likely means I'd target their 3rd and then something Day 3 in 2023 personally.

Commanders are another team I think make sense

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'd target the Colts as well, that 2nd rounder they have this year has my eye BUT doubt they do it because that is their first pick this year...which most likely means I'd target their 3rd and then something Day 3 in 2023 personally.

Commanders are another team I think make sense

Well they did, but they just acquired Wentz from said Colts.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers seems to like "the kid", so maybe we keep him around to keep Rodgers happy. Besides, he's cheap, we need a backup QB, and we've invested time in teaching him the system.

Members online

Latest posts