The 40 year story of the Seattle Ospreys.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is an Osprey nest in a microwave cell tower about 300 feet from my location. The birds have been nesting there for several years. We have been getting a couple of chicks that grow to maturity every year. They are nesting all over the city actually. There are several nests in and around the Magnolia area close to the Sound.

It's hard not to look up in any given day and not be reminded of our team symbol.

OP
OP
P

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Htm1INhBLkI

There is an Osprey nest in a microwave cell tower about 300 feet from my location. The birds have been nesting there for several years. We have been getting a couple of chicks that grow to maturity every year. They are nesting all over the city actually. There are several nests in and around the Magnolia area close to the Sound.

It's hard not to look up in any given day and not be reminded of our team symbol.

Just watch out while you're looking up.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penquins, Seahawks, Pelicans, Ducks, ...all very scary names. Pelicans? really? and WTF is a Seahawk? a bird that eats garbage in the ocean? guess some bird has to do it..........

Not true. Ospreys snatch live fish right out of the water.

As a kid up on Orcas Island in the American San Juans near British Colombia I saw an Osprey dive down and grab a medium sized salmon out of the water in front of my families property. Then the bird attempted to fly up and gain some altitude so it could deliver the fish to it's nest ...

I heard a scream from very high up and saw an American Bald Eagle in a stoop diving downward. All at once the Eagle smashed into the Osprey and feathers flew everywhere. The fish went flying also. This all happened about 4-500 feet from ground. The Eagle gathered itself and continued diving earthward and believe it or not it caught the salmon while it was still falling through the air. It was the most impressive display of birds in flight I had and have ever witnessed.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they'd just change the name to Hawks. Seattle Hawks.

Why not? Devil Rays changed to Rays. Timberwolves changed to Wolves.

sean corey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they'd just change the name to Hawks. Seattle Hawks.

Why not? Devil Rays changed to Rays. Timberwolves changed to Wolves.

That isn't a widely accepted problem here in Seattle. Most people by a huge margin are good with the name and the logo. The uni colors get some criticism from time to time but they grow on us locals and that talk fades away. As long as the team is winning like they have for the last three years they really can do no wrong. I'm sure the same goes for the Packers and their fans when they play well enough to make the playoffs.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Penquins, Seahawks, Pelicans, Ducks, ...all very scary names. Pelicans? really? and WTF is a Seahawk? a bird that eats garbage in the ocean? guess some bird has to do it..........
Seahawk is a fictitious animal. The team symbol itself is actually stylized after the totem poles the local indian tribes errected.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts