The 2015 draft class, so far.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So far so good, I really think Randall is going to be among the leagues best. he's not getting spot duty covering the slot or #3 and 4 WR, he's on the outside, often by himself against the best a lot of times and still making plays. He's made mistakes, but he's a rookie and he looks to learn from play to play rather than week to week. he's going to be a special player.

I agree with most of the article. i wonder if this is the week Ryan gets a shot? i thought he'd get more this last week, but maybe they benched Palmer and then wanted to see how he responded? Maybe Ryan got dinged and they wanted him completely healthy for the rushing attack of the Vikings? I don't really believe that because at this point, he needs playing time to catch up, he's not a secret weapon just laying in wait. Though it would be cool if he was I guess :)

I like Rips size and effort. he's had some good on offense, very good on special teams. I did see him take what I would consider a bad block. When there are 2 guys, you take the one that is going to make the tackle, not the guy further down field. It does no good to lead Starks thru the hole, run past a defender and block the next guy so Starks gets stuffed behind you in the hole. Take that first guy and let Starks break right or left off your block and maybe you effectively take out 2 guys and spring him for a big one instead of leaving a guy standing there in the hole to shut it down.

But when he blocks, regardless of who he's taking, he blocks pretty well overall, so he'll get better.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, the obvious - it's way too early to even think about this. However, for the sake of argument:

What would have been the evaluation of last year's draft a while back, specifically names like Adams, RRodgers, Linsley? What would be the evaluation of that draft, and those names, right now?

Move it back a year, let's talk about Lacy, Bak, Tretter, maybe Hyde.

The previous year, getting a little bit apples-to-apples, raw cornerback Hayward.

Let's do as you say, give Ryan and Rip more time, then we can start evaluating. Let Monty get healthy so he can play, then we can start evaluating him. If Hundley becomes AR's replacement, it almost certainly would be because we don't have Aaron any more - or, maybe TT, because the cap hit for a (then) backup QB after three more years would be excessive.

No need to rebut any individual players - there are lots of mitigating circumstances. Just wanted to point out how much of a knee-jerk article that was - even it ended in a question, not a statement.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Hundley could be a steal and perhaps AR's replacement down the road.

Rodgers will be 35 years old when Hundley´s rookie contract will expire. With AR intending to play until 40 I don´t see Hundley as his replacement down the road.

I agree with most of the article. i wonder if this is the week Ryan gets a shot? i thought he'd get more this last week, but maybe they benched Palmer and then wanted to see how he responded? Maybe Ryan got dinged and they wanted him completely healthy for the rushing attack of the Vikings? I don't really believe that because at this point, he needs playing time to catch up, he's not a secret weapon just laying in wait. Though it would be cool if he was I guess :)

I expected Ryan to start vs. the Lions but with Palmer most likely having his best game on Sunday I don´t see the Packers benching him for this week´s game.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will be 35 years old when Hundley´s rookie contract will expire. With AR intending to play until 40 I don´t see Hundley as his replacement down the road.
Often intentions and reality are two different animals.
A lot can happen before Hundley's rookie contract expires.
Having used the word "perhaps" I was talking possibilities not certainties.

D

Deleted member 6794

Often intentions and reality are two different animals.
A lot can happen before Hundley's rookie contract expires.
Having used the word "perhaps" I was talking possibilities not certainties.

I agree that a lot can happen until Hundley's rookie contract expires but as long as Rodgers doesn't suffer a career ending injury I don't see Hundley re-signing with the Packers to sit on the bench.

While he showed a lot of promise during the preseason him not seeing the field for hopefully any meaningful snaps for the team was the reason I didn't like the pick and giving up two selections to move up in the draft.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rip is a guy I want to see more of. Yeah, he has a lot to learn- Mondio's point about picking the wrong guy to block being a prime example- but he's very physical. I see him eventually being a better version of Kuhn.
I don't know that any of them end up as among the best in the league- that being a product of almost always picking below #25 as anything- but Randall, Monty, Rip, Ryan and co. could be very productive for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, if TT was going to move up in the draft he should have done so to try to upgrade the inside linebacker position
which was and still is a serious need.

It´s no secret that I was in favor of upgrading the inside linebacker position and believe that Thompson didn´t do enough during this offseason to improve it but at the time of the draft the Packers were in need of cornerbacks as well.

Rip is a guy I want to see more of. Yeah, he has a lot to learn- Mondio's point about picking the wrong guy to block being a prime example- but he's very physical. I see him eventually being a better version of Kuhn.
I don't know that any of them end up as among the best in the league- that being a product of almost always picking below #25 as anything- but Randall, Monty, Rip, Ryan and co. could be very productive for us.

Ripkowski seems to be able to become a really good blocker, not sure he´ll ever get a lot of touches though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm still 1-2 years away from giving grades on this draft class, but I've also never been this inclined to grade early. We'll see how these guys do in Year 2 and beyond. Really the unknown is Backman, who I thought we would have seen at TE while Quarless was out. Perillo had a good game but has been missing in action since then.

The biggest takeaway for me is that TT found starters for his two top needs: CB and ILB.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this draft was crap. Drafting a FB and backup QB? Don't you think there were bigger needs? At least try to go for somebody who could make a difference.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this draft was crap. Drafting a FB and backup QB? Don't you think there were bigger needs? At least try to go for somebody who could make a difference.

I loved both the Ripkowski and especially Hundley picks. Fans clearly differ a lot on early draft pick projections. Only pick I really didn't like was Rollins, excluding 6-7th rounders that I'd never heard of.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Yeah, similar story to when the Packers drafted that backup QB in 2005 when they still had Favre.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You know the draft isn't all about need, right?

If you think the entire draft is crap, you're highly misguided.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think Hundley will make a heck of a backup QB in a year or two. You hope backup QB is never a 'need' but ask the Cowboys how fast it can become your biggest need.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, similar story to when the Packers drafted that backup QB in 2005 when they still had Favre.
That's a ridiculous comparison. Favre was 36, making a ton of mistakes and a QB projected by many to go #1 was still on the board. If his name was anything other than Favre and had been playing like that, they would have replaced him before he left.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They were 10-6 that year and had needs all over the defensive side of the ball and in need of a coach to hold Favre accountable. He went on to have a few good seasons after that, he was hardly D.U.N

ETA: I had to look up the season Favre had leading up to that draft.

over 4Kk yards, 64+% completion percentage, 30 TD's and 17 INT's. Hardly a poor year

PFanCan

Reaction score
That's a ridiculous comparison. Favre was 36, making a ton of mistakes and a QB projected by many to go #1 was still on the board. If his name was anything other than Favre and had been playing like that, they would have replaced him before he left.

In 2004, Favre threw for over 4000 yards and had 30 TDs to only 17 INTs and a season rating of 92.4. Not too shabby.

And, there were 23 picks before Ted selected Rodgers that also saw that same #1 projection still on the board.

PFanCan

Reaction score
They were 10-6 that year and had needs all over the defensive side of the ball and in need of a coach to hold Favre accountable. He went on to have a few good seasons after that, he was hardly D.U.N

ETA: I had to look up the season Favre had leading up to that draft.

over 4Kk yards, 64+% completion percentage, 30 TD's and 17 INT's. Hardly a poor year

We were writing our posts at the same time, Mondio. Great minds think alike! :tup:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2004, Favre threw for over 4000 yards and had 30 TDs to only 17 INTs and a season rating of 92.4. Not too shabby.

And, there were 23 picks before Ted selected Rodgers that also saw that same #1 projection still on the board.
Right, like Jacksonville, who drafted a college QB as a WR and coked himself out of the league. I'd really hope we don't view our GM in the same light as some of these idiots.

And let's not act like He knows something nobody else does when he makes these picks. He has good and bad picks. He drafted Brian Brohm in the second round who isn't even good enough to be a backup QB for any team. Nice going.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course TT makes bad picks. Look at his 2012 draft. Even mother nature makes mistakes. The walleye class of 2008 stunk on our lake!

Ripkowski was a great pick because Kuhn is at the end. Grooming players before they become desperate needs is the way. Anticipate, don't react.

Ron Wolf drafted A BUNCH of quarterbacks while Favre was in his prime. We learned during the last few years how important a solid backup is, and you never know when your HOF quarterback is going to get Joe Theisman-ed.

Members online

Latest posts