That old cripple Favre on way to retirement home

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gasping for respectability, that tired old man Brett Favre currently:

Leads the NFL in number of completions with 220.
4th in yards.
4th in TD passes
4th in sack %
5th in completion percentage.

In 2004

He lead league in sack % with a number worse than than 2005.
was 3rd in completions.
4th in Touchdown passes
5th in passing yards and
9th in completion percentage.

This old geezers numbers have dropped so far it is no wonder everyone thinks he is all washed up. The media is right. Opponents keep saying it is about time old rag arm retires!!

(Stats coutesy of ESPN)

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask the Falcons if he has any gas left in the tank! He pretty much dismantled the defense of the team that many pick will represent the NFC in the SB! It's not so much that he did it, either. It's who he did it with...the guy is simply the best!

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Moose Johnson, who said yesterday that Favre can still make all the throws. He won't run or play physical like he use too, but as long as he still has that gun for an arm, I hope he doesn't listen to the naysayers and keeps on playing for the Pack.

OP
OP
C

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett needs 260 yards and 2 TD's a game(plus 1) to equal last year's 4000 yds 30 TD season. Normally you would say great with 2 of those games against the Bears but this year may be different.

The rest of this season and 2 more should enable him to catch Marino in yardage 9000 more yards or 243 yards/game for 37 games. He needs 26 TD's to beat Marino which should happen mid season 2006.

Keep hoping that Thurman, Chatman, and Lee have good games and Bubba gets on the field soon enough and the line blocks well. Brett could sure use a 300 yard 3 TD game on Sunday.

This season is his 4th best season completion percentage.

Appreciate watching him play. In 6 or 7 years we will be missing him.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
And retirement talk too. :p

C'mon PHIL - it's media hype and you know it.

Question "old man" --- Why is it they never question Doug Flutie or Vinny Testeverde about retirement - when they're both 42 years old and Favre is only 36?

I seriously doubt you can bring a valid answer to the table - it would have to be media bias-based commentary - how does that kool-aid taste?

Or how about why no one questions the fact that Trent Green is also becoming washed up - he's 35 and a half ya know - barely a half year younger than Brett Favre... curious how some people avoid treating the whole group as equals...... smells like a bandwagon to me!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
^^ I completely agree with him. Perhaps the reason though is everyone is waiting for Brett to finally diminish in his skills where Flutie and Vinny were never considered HoF QBs.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre has been publicly speculating about retirement for over three years now. He brought up the subject in an interview with Peter King in the summer of 2002. He could have easily squashed this topic at any point by refusing to answer further questions or by providing the same answer every time until the reporters got bored. But he hasn't done that, so I assume that he really has been considering retirement all along.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I must sadly agree with Greg, Brett has been contemplating retirement on and off for some time now. If however, this season ends up playing a role in his decision for next year, the positive side to this nightmare of a season might have us see him comming back however as I really don't think the "great one" will end his career on this note. Just my opinion and I am crossing my fingers.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I "may" be a bit fuzzy on this, but I do believe Peter King was the one that brought it up, NOT Favre.... I'd like to see that Interview again....

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez: As I remember it, King was interviewing Favre and Favre made a comment about how sometimes he wondered if he would rather be cutting grass at his home in Mississippi instead of playing football. When King mentioned this in his article at the time, I thought he was trying to make something out of nothing. This led to other reporters asking Favre about retirement all season long, so partly it was media-driven, but I do think that Favre could've put an end to the subject easily enough if he really wanted to.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think he would be contemplating retirement so much if he had a solid team to work with? If he knew that they could win and go deep into the playoffs don't you think he would be jazzed up and shooting down all the retirement talk?

Heck, I'd be sick of football too if after 15 years I was playing with lame talent that wasn't going anywhere and had no chance to win. I'll mow the lawn any day rather than lose all the time.

dren23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Philtration said:
And retirement talk too. :p

C'mon PHIL - it's media hype and you know it.

Question "old man" --- Why is it they never question Doug Flutie or Vinny Testeverde about retirement - when they're both 42 years old and Favre is only 36?

I seriously doubt you can bring a valid answer to the table - it would have to be media bias-based commentary - how does that kool-aid taste?

Or how about why no one questions the fact that Trent Green is also becoming washed up - he's 35 and a half ya know - barely a half year younger than Brett Favre... curious how some people avoid treating the whole group as equals...... smells like a bandwagon to me!

Because nobody will care when Flutie or Teseteverde retire. It won't be a big deal. Now when one of the best Qb's the league has ever saw retires it'll be a big deal.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04: Up until this year, the Packers were a perennial playoff team, and as recently as the 2003 season they had a legitimate shot of getting to the Super Bowl. At that point, Favre was already in his second season of retirement talk. So I don't think the team's performance is a major factor. Favre wants to retire before his skills go into drastic decline. Plus, he's been in the spotlight for a long, long time. He's become more of a reclusive guy in recent years, and I think he's getting kind of sick of being in the spotlight.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
IPBprez: As I remember it, King was interviewing Favre and Favre made a comment about how sometimes he wondered if he would rather be cutting grass at his home in Mississippi instead of playing football. When King mentioned this in his article at the time, I thought he was trying to make something out of nothing. This led to other reporters asking Favre about retirement all season long, so partly it was media-driven, but I do think that Favre could've put an end to the subject easily enough if he really wanted to.
Yeah - the cobwebs fritter away - I was consistently watching HBO.com/Inside the NFL that year - if I recollect right, that was 2002 - the Interview and Peter King made the Show - that year, they also showed the Peter King response to why the Raiders QB - Jim Plunkett - wasn't in the HOF... It was because he only had one good year...

Anywho - It wasn't Brett that started that nonsense and Peter King has never stepped up to apologize or correct everyone. You know one thing - it wouldn't matter WHAT Favre had to say about it - the Media are just gona keep pressin'.... Certainly, Joe Montana has to be glad no one pulled that crap on him....

I'll see if I can find that article - maybe there's a video clip archived away some where....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts