That f**k**g 3rd down fog horn!!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Bears started using an Air Raid siren at Soldier Field, I think last year. Totally annoying to me. Now maybe the Packer Brass is selling it as "lets get the fans riled up", but personally I think its main purpose is to make it hard for the opposing offense to hear each other and communicate, until that sound is shut down, which I believe has to come with 15 seconds on the play clock.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard it on TV and texted my daughter who was at the game. She said it was sooooooo loud!

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now maybe the Packer Brass is selling it as "lets get the fans riled up", but personally I think its main purpose is to make it hard for the opposing offense to hear each other and communicate, until that sound is shut down, which I believe has to come with 15 seconds on the play clock.
I guess that makes it a good thing, however annoying. Personally, I think this sort of thing should be illegal, it's hard enough to win on the road as it is. But I guess it evens the playing field a little for those who have open air stadiums.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess that makes it a good thing, however annoying. Personally, I think this sort of thing should be illegal, it's hard enough to win on the road as it is. But I guess it evens the playing field a little for those who have open air stadiums.

Personally, I haven't really enjoyed attending many stadium events anymore because of the loud piped in music/sounds. Went to a few Bucks games this year and felt like I was at a rock concert. Maybe I am getting too old, but I prefer the "old days" of fan noise and if the fans were really into the game, then they made it tough on the opponents to hear.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After growing up a Brewers fan at County Stadium, I remember my first experience at a dome. I saw the Twins play a day game at the Metrodome in the mid-90s. It was terrible listening to the air conditioning groan throughout the game because attendance was low and they had nothing to cheer about. I would have appreciated the organ guy from the beginning of Slap Shot, playing some tunes.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
personally I think its main purpose is to make it hard for the opposing offense to hear each other and communicate, until that sound is shut down, which I believe has to come with 15 seconds on the play clock.
Seems like this gives an unfair advantage to teams that run a hurry up offense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seems like this gives an unfair advantage to teams that run a hurry up offense.

Not really. Since the "horn/sounds" can be pumped in up until there are 15 seconds left on the play clock, so if you are running a hurry up, you are probably trying to do so during all that noise. On the contrary, if you huddle up and get to the line with 15 or so seconds on the play clock, the noise is off and all you are dealing with is fan noise when communicating things along the line up scrimmage.

If anything, it might make it harder to run a hurry up.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
weeeeeeeeeeeds! Good to see you here bud! Haven't posted with you in decades...

BTW, nice rip, on the horn that is. I mean, I'd be embarrassed to have claimed ownership of that as my own as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Bears started using an Air Raid siren at Soldier Field, I think last year. Totally annoying to me. Now maybe the Packer Brass is selling it as "lets get the fans riled up", but personally I think its main purpose is to make it hard for the opposing offense to hear each other and communicate, until that sound is shut down, which I believe has to come with 15 seconds on the play clock.

Actually the communication between the play caller and quarterback is cut off with 15 seconds on the play clock.

Teams aren't allowed to use artificial crowd noise at all to prevent opposing offenses from communicating with each other.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No matter what I hate that horn. Sounds like Minihaha. Let's just play football. We get plenty loud when it is important.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Actually the communication between the play caller and quarterback is cut off with 15 seconds on the play clock.

Teams aren't allowed to use artificial crowd noise at all to prevent opposing offenses from communicating with each other.

Au contraire mi Amigo.

But I was wrong on the shutting it down at 15 seconds, they are suppose to turn it off with 20 seconds left on the play clock.

https://fansided.com/2018/12/16/bears-air-raid-siren-noise-rules/

I thought this was illegal as well, since I remember the Falcons and other teams being investigated over pumping artificial crowd noise in and that being sighted as not allowed. The article above doesn't really say why the siren is legal, just that the NFL deemed it legal.

The only thing I can think of as to why this is allowed, is that "artificial Crowd noise", is noise simulating people, an air raid siren, while much louder, isn't simulating "noise made by a crowd".

Really would like to see this practice stopped. Being at any major sporting event these days seems like you are being pummeled constantly by loud music, the air raid sirens have to be even more obnoxious IMO.

Final note. Possibly the Packers noticed this new "advantage" that the Bears were trying to get and in their first Preseason game at Lambeau against the Texans, initiated a "3rd down siren".

https://www.jsonline.com/story/spor...er-shudder-new-horn-lambeau-field/1964506001/

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They need to get rid of all it. are you there for sound effects or the sounds of the game? It's slowly evolving into those ridiculous futuristic game shows from 80's movies

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
They need to get rid of all it. are you there for sound effects or the sounds of the game? It's slowly evolving into those ridiculous futuristic game shows from 80's movies

Full agree and with the NFL seemingly being VERY interested in player safety, wait until the first really bad injury and it was attributed to by players blowing their assignments due to not hearing over the pumped in noise.

There are so many ways to win games that involve the actual game of football, what's next, flashing strobe lights in players faces?

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Full agree and with the NFL seemingly being VERY interested in player safety, wait until the first there is a really bad injury and it was attributed to by players blowing their assignments due to not hearing over the pumped in noise.

There are so many ways to win games that involve the actual game of football, what's next, flashing strobe lights in players faces?
This is what happens when you have casual fans, you have to work to keep them engaged. But when you create a fanbase built on fantasy football and drama around the game, not the actual game, this is what you get.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts