Thanks again Brett!

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
See what I mean... Every excuse but Brett not getting the job done.

2 and 9..... It is time to move on.

Give the kid some snaps.

RP

Give the kid to the wolves eh? Get him discourgaged right? That would be the best idea EVER.

Down to 1 receiver
Two new guards from last year and now the line has been shuffled two fifths again.
the RB is the 5th starter at RB
top TE could be out for awhile

Then letse go another step, who the hell said Sherman is gonna be back next year? So why get him comfortable with this system when chances are its gonna be GONE.

Playing Rodgers simply does not make sense. Case in point, Carson Palmer.

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
Fact is the Packers as a team played up top the water level of the team.

Water always rises to its own level.

Fact is Brett did not have a good game. What does one expect? He is 36 years old and of course is an old dog that can not learn new tricks. Brett is not willing to adjust his game time decisions to adjust to his loss of athletic skills that come to us all at the age of 36.

When the draft comes along in 2006 this game will be a great loss for the Packers. It would have been a greater loss if the Texans did not choke, but then again perhaps the Texan' as a team have the right game plan.

Now that the Pack are eliminated from the playoffs in WEEK 11, do you think it might be time to build for the future? Do you think it might be a time to give the kid some snaps?

Of course not... Not for some people on this forum. Brett is God!

Brett could go 0 for 31 next week with 5 picks and some of you would blame it on the receivers, the play calling, the coach, the weather, astrology, karma, the political situation in Panama, the field, the trainers, the uniform itch effect due to a new soap used by the assistant trainer, the fact he misses his tractor, or even the fact that he has not been invited as a guest on the Dr. Phil show.

Fact is.... Realize it or not... Brett is not Brett any longer. It is not his fault and he will go down in history as a great QB with all football fans. He will go down as the greatest of all time with Packer fans.

But... either way he has gone down, and will stay down. It is life. It is being 36 in the NFL and there is nothing wrong with that. It is life.

Every loss from this point is a win for the future of the Packers.

I think the Texans' have got that figured out, Pack fans should too.

P.S. I know the math, but face it this team is eliminated from the play offs.

RP

Wow. From what I've seen this season, Brett is still Brett. He'll make an exceptional thrown and you'll think "how do he make that play?" and then he'll throw into double coverage and you'll think "why did he even try?" Fact is, Favre is gonna be Favre. He's always been like that, and always will. He is forced to play with a bunch of rookies and inexperienced players, not to mention without the luxury of a consistent running game. Add in the fact that he is without Javon Walker, Ahman Green, and Najeh Davenport, and Brett is in a very difficult position. I'd like to challenge any other starting QB in the NFL right now, and just see how they would play under these circumstances and if they could handle it the way Favre has. I mean, the guy isn't making excuses, he has handled it like a true professional all the while playing the game that he loves.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Raider Pride said:
See what I mean... Every excuse but Brett not getting the job done.

2 and 9..... It is time to move on.

Give the kid some snaps.

RP

Give the kid to the wolves eh? Get him discourgaged right? That would be the best idea EVER.

Down to 1 receiver
Two new guards from last year and now the line has been shuffled two fifths again.
the RB is the 5th starter at RB
top TE could be out for awhile

Then letse go another step, who the hell said Sherman is gonna be back next year? So why get him comfortable with this system when chances are its gonna be GONE.

Playing Rodgers simply does not make sense. Case in point, Carson Palmer.

ZERO,

Reality please. I did not type "Start the kid." I typed: "2 and 9 it is time to give the kid some snaps."

You make the point, that it is unfair to give the kid to the wolves.

I say YES IT IS fair. It is a learning experience. He is young and this would be a good learning experience for him, and if he loses his confidence from failure then he never belonged in the NFL in the first place.

Failure is not failure baby, it is the game champions play to win. Failure is not failure it is an opportunity to practice his performance and perfect his game.

So I guess by your post it is better to throw a 36 year old future hall of famer and one of the greatest to ever play the game to the wolves with a 2 and 9 record that it is to let the kid learn. It is better to let Brett end the season with a QB rating under 69 this year.

Shaking my head in San Diego.

RP

Sorry I do not agree... Brett deserves better than that.

bt_impaler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barring the costly fumble by Thurman, Brett cost us the game - no ifs, ands, or buts about it. He had an opportunity to drive down field and not once, but twice threw the ball up to be picked off. The first pick we got a gift with the roughing the passer call and were given another chance. Then a couple of plays later, with nearly a minute left he throws that ball up for grabs. Game over.

Does this mean we should bench Brett Farve? Hell no! Brett Farve will have his good games and he will have his god awful games. But, if he plays a little smarter, he's still our best weapon on offense. And I know many of you would like to sit back and throw the rest of the games this season to get a good draft pick, but that attitude would do nothing but cultivate perennial losers. The Packers need to try and win every last game. Hopefully if we can win a few at the end, the momentum will carry into next year. But I digress. Farve needed to play smarter, and the only way to do that is to have the guts to smack him in the face and tell him to be patient. All game long he tried striking quickly and it cost him big time -once with the interception in the first half, and the game killing one at the end. Despite his poor decision making, he still has all the ability to win games and is still a good QB, and it is in the best interests of the Packers to keep him around as long as possible.

As for Sherman's coaching today, I disagree with part of Tromadz comments about pulling the guards. Rolling Brett out gives him time, and he has always been great throwing outside the pocket. As for the running game, they didn't always execute the sweeps the best, but these were some of the biggest holes I've seen all year. Sherman didn't make any obvious poor playcalling as much today, but he let another close game go which is heartbreaking. Good coaches win close games. He succeeded last year in that category. This year he failed.

Bates has done a fantastic job with a bunch of nobodys all year long. But the run defense today was an abomination. KGB is too damned small (the idea of putting him at LB is interesting but too late in his career) as he and the rest of the Dline was consumed by the Philly line. And when we're playing against a backup QB and 3 backup O-linemen that is downright embarrassing. McMahon was running around on us like Vick. And with his passing being so inept, I don't know why we didn't have Barnett spy him like we did versus Atlanta. His legs kept their drives alive. Also, it seemed as though we blitzed a lot more than usual but got no penetration. And if we did get back, we overpursued and another QB scramble for a first.

All in all, it's just another frustration added to the L column. Next week is at Chicago, and we better play balls out to end their win streak and expose them for the one-dimensional team they are.

Raider Pride

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BT_impaler.

Now that "Sir" is a very good Packer Forum Post.

I do not agree with everything you typed, however that was a very good post. You know your football.

I did not read your first post, and this is only your second post.

Welcome aboard, and keep the insight flowing.

RP

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
MUSSCY..

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE "EF" YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT....

(YOU SOUND LIKE SOMEONE WHO NEVER PLAYED THE GAME....YOU HAD A BADMINTON SCHOLARSHIP..OR SOMETHING...)

(DO US A FAVOR AND STOP POSTING SUCH RIDICULOUS CRAP!)

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packersfan43084 said:
Raider Pride said:
Fact is the Packers as a team played up top the water level of the team.

Water always rises to its own level.

Fact is Brett did not have a good game. What does one expect? He is 36 years old and of course is an old dog that can not learn new tricks. Brett is not willing to adjust his game time decisions to adjust to his loss of athletic skills that come to us all at the age of 36.

When the draft comes along in 2006 this game will be a great loss for the Packers. It would have been a greater loss if the Texans did not choke, but then again perhaps the Texan' as a team have the right game plan.

Now that the Pack are eliminated from the playoffs in WEEK 11, do you think it might be time to build for the future? Do you think it might be a time to give the kid some snaps?

Of course not... Not for some people on this forum. Brett is God!

Brett could go 0 for 31 next week with 5 picks and some of you would blame it on the receivers, the play calling, the coach, the weather, astrology, karma, the political situation in Panama, the field, the trainers, the uniform itch effect due to a new soap used by the assistant trainer, the fact he misses his tractor, or even the fact that he has not been invited as a guest on the Dr. Phil show.

Fact is.... Realize it or not... Brett is not Brett any longer. It is not his fault and he will go down in history as a great QB with all football fans. He will go down as the greatest of all time with Packer fans.

But... either way he has gone down, and will stay down. It is life. It is being 36 in the NFL and there is nothing wrong with that. It is life.

Every loss from this point is a win for the future of the Packers.

I think the Texans' have got that figured out, Pack fans should too.

P.S. I know the math, but face it this team is eliminated from the play offs.

RP

Wow. From what I've seen this season, Brett is still Brett. He'll make an exceptional thrown and you'll think "how do he make that play?" and then he'll throw into double coverage and you'll think "why did he even try?" Fact is, Favre is gonna be Favre. He's always been like that, and always will. He is forced to play with a bunch of rookies and inexperienced players, not to mention without the luxury of a consistent running game. Add in the fact that he is without Javon Walker, Ahman Green, and Najeh Davenport, and Brett is in a very difficult position. I'd like to challenge any other starting QB in the NFL right now, and just see how they would play under these circumstances and if they could handle it the way Favre has. I mean, the guy isn't making excuses, he has handled it like a true professional all the while playing the game that he loves.
Sorry "Brett is not Brett".
Old Brett can is now where near as quick or strong as Young Brett was.
Look at how many deep passes are underthrown. (Even in his great game against Oakland a couple of years ago. There were a lot of balls that were under thrown then. the receivers made the adjustment, came back and caught the ball. that game was more about horrible Raider DB's than about Brett having a super game.)
Look at how many "lazers" over the middle are at the receivers feet or knocked down by the defender these days.
I don't advocate dumping Brett for Rodgers (despite not wanting to pursue records I think if his continous games started streak is broken Brett is gone next year.) but if they give the kid a series or two during the game I think it would be in the teams best interestin the long run.
RP- It is not Panana everyone knows it is Bangladesh. Or at least it was when he came into the league.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66...

I have a simple question for you...

I'm not talking about the rest of the game, just the last drive....

Were Brett's two picks wise decisions on his part? Can you defend either one?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whether they were wise decisions or not is not the issue. What was the call he was expected to execute? Basically, this offense has given up on intermediate passes in the interior of the field. When all you do is throw long...in that "arching rainbow" style that is not Favre's strength, to arena league talent or double on the one decent WR we have, what do you think the outcome will be?

Favre is best throwing on a wire in the 15 - 30 yard range...something that is not really called anymore.

Basically, it is twofold:

1. Coaches are not playing to Favre's strengths.

2. Favre is executing poorly that which he is being asked to do...which I need to reiterate, are not geared toward his strengths.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had been calling a number of short range passes all game, but Brett kept missing high. Aikman noted that, mentioning how Dallas always knew to get a jump on the Pack because Brett would start off inacurate.

Frankly, I don't know what routes the other wrs/rbs were running on those 2 plays, but I'm guessing there were some underneath check downs available, and I'd guess someone was open if the 2 ints he threw were into double, and finally triple coverage.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musccy...how many crossing routes, slants, hooks or seams have you seen run as of late? And I am not even talking completions...just routes run! Yes, they do a few each game...I am not suggesting they NEVER do it, but it is such a small part of their philosophy as to make it irrelavent.

OP
OP
M

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is difficult for anyone watching tv to know or see what the Packers are running on every play since the cameras are focused on the QB, and even if you wanted to focus on the routes of the wrs, it'd be difficult to see them past 3-5 yards.

So, I don't know...you may be right, however, and if so, then yes, the Packers could be doing a better job of calling timing routes, crossing patterns, etc.

that argument aside, I still struggle to believe that Brett had no other options on those 2 picks he threw on the final drive. I'm just frustrated watching these games end in picks, or fake spikes gone bad.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And i'm tired of people moronically and knee jerk reactionarily blaming their HOF QB for losing a game they never had a chance of winning in the first place, but for him....

Every time you see the cameras on Ferguson...he is covered like a blanket by opposing team DB's....now this means either he is slow or not a very good pass route runner...or both....

Now if teams double cover Driver...just who does Favre have to throw to...? Answer me that...!!

Also..i am tired of SherRossley ball....

2 and 20....run the ball....
3rd and 19...pass to Fisher out of the backfield...
4th down...punt....

Jesus Christ...it's no wonder Brett is getting discouraged....He's out there with a bunch of high schoolers..and Sam "no gado" the football...and trying to turn horse **** into hamburger....not filet migon.. mind you...just plain hamburger...and it can not be done....

But go on...blame Favre...it's easier than blaming the two moron's on the side of the field for some of you...I guess...

But if you see Brett Favre in another uniform leading another team to championships...don't be too surprised....for all you ingrates out there....who don't seem to know what football is all about...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
C'mon guys....I haven't seen so many stupid posts on one thread.

#1 Favre's ability hasn't diminished at all. He moves in the pocket as well as ever. His arm is as strong as ever. The talent around him is bad. I have finally given up on Fergy. Favre made a couple pof poor decisions and threw some sh1tty passes yesterday. It happens.

#2 To distinguished poster #1-Raider Pride. I am so tired of people saying we need to give Rodgers snaps. We don't owe him ****. If he wants snaps then earn them. Beat out Brett for the starting position.

#3 To distinguished poster #2- digsthepack. It wasn't the playcalling. Brett had multiple options on both of those picks and the guys underneath were open on both plays. Favre made poor decisions to force the ball on both plays probably due to the fact that he has no confidence in the guys that were open.

I felt is was my duty to inject some intelligence into this thread. :wink:

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I simply can't believe that the play called for Brett to throw it deep into triple coverage with nearly a minute left. I think Andy Reid had a pretty smart game plan. Play tight ant close to the vest and wait for the Packers to implode with turnovers and impatience. He obviously watched film and figured out that's the way you beat this team. There simply is no need to do anything else.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett had a terrible game.....no doubt. Right from the start he was throwing them wild. The thing i don't understand is......if players are double and triple teamed, doesn't that leave SOMEONE open??? Yet he kept throwing into double and triple coverage.
Plus, the injury to Bubba was because the ball was thrown behind him and he had to try to adjust. Had it been towards the sideline where it's supposed to be, Bubba catches it and no injury.
Brett had an off day, for sure. But the main problem is they have no one that can hold onto the ball! FUMBLEITIS! Thats the main problem! And the few times Brett did deliver the ball, it was dropped.
Do i think they should pull Brett? No. Rodgers does NOT need to have his confidence blown on a team that can't protect the QB decently. Brett knows how to avoid the rush, and still at least give us a CHANCE to win.
In my humble opinion that is.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This team has been going long ball for some time now. Chuck it and hope for the best it seems to me. Yes, Favre is making some bad decisions...part of it has to do with his **** poor supporting cast, and some of it has to do with his general regression under MS. Let's face it, Sherman tolerates poor decision making and general sloppieness out of Favre that Holmgren (and believe me, I am no defender of the Walrus...appreciate all he did, but the past is the past) never did.

Personally, I believe Favre has several good years to play if he decides to continue. But I have to believe these perpetual second half meltdown have begun to become expected by this team to some extent, and that falls on MS. Even when we have no turnovers, we melt in the 2nd half for failing to make proper adjustments.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the KGB comment - seems like other teams are now focusing on that side of the ball - and J.B. hasn't gotten the email yet. These last two games have the Master-bates all running for the towel, right after half-time. Curious how that's happening - and the HC isn't picking up on it. Not-so curious on that one.... Bates needs to prep these guys for when the QB is gonna run like Culpepper and McNabb - those are the two QB's out there that have always made money against the Pack with that tactic. Almost no one else even tries ... ya ever notice?

I called three plays yesterday - just before they actually happened - two were good and one wasn't so good (INT) and it had everyone jack-jawin' at me.. but, I was right - and Brett should not have thrown that first INT - no way, no how.. The Wizard should have been there....

I like how Brett plays so help me... but his FUNDAMENTALS SUCK....
And that's the Coaching issue which has never been addressed. Never.

I'm more than real tired of this corporate mentality with approaching the Players out there - the HC is supposed to be blue-collar -- not white-collar... Sherman should not be sending his underling Asst Coaches over to speak with Brett... He oughta have the guts to chat with him as well - and demonstrate it constantly, for the troops ....... AND THE FANS!

The lines of true communication simply do not exist with Mike Sherman as HC!

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
Get real Ip....Brett's "fundamentals" have always sucked! "Blue collar"...man you guys crack me up.

I beg to differ this time around - whereas usually, I tend to agree....

Brett's Fundamentals were downright great in the mid nineties - once Holmgren threatened to set Brett down with all the INT nonsense - he started focusing on film.. and paying attention to his reads, like a Pro.

Now, without a Coach gettin' in his face, which (actually) he prefers... it comes from his Dad treatin' him that way... you know that..right? // Well, now we see the Brett of 1993 and 1994 coming back out - like a regression of sorts....

Whether you think it should be needed or not.... it's what Brett would probably prefer... his performance sorta demands it at this point. If he does come back next year - I would make sure the HC understands that.... thru and thru! I'm gettin' kinda tired at how Sherman doesn't seem to have time to talk to his lead QB - very weird.. I don't know of any other Team where this type of non-interaction occurs....

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you are right....I'm all for it, but I don't see it. By fundamentals...I thought you meant mechanics....they have always been "less than perfect".

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
If you are right....I'm all for it, but I don't see it. By fundamentals...I thought you meant mechanics....they have always been "less than perfect".

Yeah - no kidding - who else do you know "always" throws off his back foot like that...eh?

Members online

Latest posts