Thanks A.J.!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
A.J. Hawk is retiring as a Packer!

While he probably never lived up to our expectations and those of a #5 pick, Hawk provided the Packers with 9 pretty good seasons at Linebacker.

Personally, I will always remember him for his long stringy hair and his helmet never being able to stay on, although I think that started flying off, after he cut his hair!

Thanks A.J.!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

While he probably never lived up to our expectations and those of a #5 pick, Hawk provided the Packers with 9 pretty good seasons at Linebacker.

Personally, I will always remember him for his long stringy hair and his helmet never being able to stay on, although I think that started flying off, after he cut his hair!

Thanks A.J.!

I'll always remember him for his ability to lose his helmet in game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much appreciation and best wishes to a class act who always gave everything he had.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does that actually mean when a player says he will retire as a member of a particular team ??

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What does that actually mean when a player says he will retire as a member of a particular team ??
Nothing really other than the player wants to say thanks to the fans and the team where he feels was his home for a lot of years.

KevinR

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nothing really other than the player wants to say thanks to the fans and the team where he feels was his home for a lot of years.

Thanks.....I used to hear the same thing when a player was inducted into Canton.....that he went in as a............?

Did Reggie White retire as a Packer ?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers and Eagles both claim him :) as far as I know the HOF doesn't officially recognize a team, just the player.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks A.J.!

All-time leader in tackles for the Pack if I heard correctly - That is indeed an accomplishment worthy of praise.

Solid and dependable - A.J. was always there on gameday. I wish him and his family all the best in whatever comes next.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Although he wasnt the #5 pick we expected from him he had many great consistent years of production which was good enough for us.

H

HardRightEdge

I think the Packers and Eagles both claim him :) as far as I know the HOF doesn't officially recognize a team, just the player.
You forgot a winking smiley face or an LOL, as follows:

"...HOF ;) [or LOL]..." Like that.

Sorry. I have a hard time getting out of my mind the uninspiring (and at times just plain bad) play over the last 4 years.

Maybe he makes the Packer HOF, maybe not. If he does, it will be a long time coming.

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
I always contemplated that if he would've actively pursued and finished tackles with the vigor of this tackle he might've still been in GB. ;)
Seriously tho, best wishes and thanks for the memories AJ :tup:

D

Deleted member 6794

Actually the Hall of Fame distinguishes between a player having made the major part of his primary contribution for any one club and other teams he played for. White is one of only a few listed as a major contributor for two teams in the Eagles and Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forgot a winking smiley face or an LOL, as follows:

"...HOF ;) [or LOL]..." Like that.

Sorry. I have a hard time getting out of my mind the uninspiring (and at times just plain bad) play over the last 4 years.

Maybe he makes the Packer HOF, maybe not. If he does, it will be a long time coming.
a poster asked about Reggie White, there is no case for Hawk making the HOF. He was a solid player for a number of years for us and a guy that was always available and always seemed to put forth everything he had on the field, even when it wasn't enough. A team guy. The Hall is not in his future, if he remains the leading tackler for the Packers for a while yet he'll probably see the Packer hall as a member of a super champion team too.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A.J. made some great tackles.

As a Packer....

As a Buckeye...

As a golfer....

Gotta love A.J.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't forget this classic on Thanksgiving!

I guess the whole "loosing his helmet thing happened in college too:

A.J. needed to grow into his pads a bit....

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have nothing but respect for Hawk. I think that the fans and media have put too much hype into the draft, which is part of a separate discussion. AJ played well in college and was worthy of playing in the NFL. We placed expectations on him due to where he was selected in the draft, but the dude to fail to live up to any real expectations. Had he been drafted in the 7th round, we would all be heaping Donald Driver type of praise on him. Both were solid players but neither were super stars. Eliminate the context of where they are drafted and both were good, productive players that help the Packers win.

Good luck in the future AJ. If I remember, he was married to the sister of a Notre Dame QB but I can't remember his name. I refuse to look it up until my brain remembers... Quinn? Qbert? That's about as close as I can get.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was no better guy to make the tackle in crunch time...8 yards past the LOS. I kid, I kid. AJ didn't live up to his draft status but he was a good player and a good citizen. I wish him nothing but the best as he enters his post-NFL life and thank him for many years of quality service to my favorite team. God bless AJ. G P G!!

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good luck in the future AJ. If I remember, he was married to the sister of a Notre Dame QB but I can't remember his name. I refuse to look it up until my brain remembers... Quinn? Qbert? That's about as close as I can get.

Laura Quinn, her brother was Brady Quinn, QB at ND......I think A.J. will be just "fine" in retirement.