Textbook Hit?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://blog.packers.com/2013/08/26/news-notes-mccarthy-takes-exception-to-manning-penalty/
In the fourth quarter of last Friday’s preseason game vs. Seattle, Manning blitzed Seahawks QB Brady Quinn and drilled him, shoulder to chest, as he released the pass and the two crashed to the turf. Manning was then flagged for roughing the passer, with the official explaining that Manning brought his weight down on Quinn at the completion of the play.

McCarthy doesn’t agree, at all.

“I thought Manning’s hit on the quarterback was textbook,” McCarthy said on Monday. “Frankly, when the quarterback jumps in the air and the linebacker is blitzing, and he hits him with the shoulder and so forth, I don’t know how you don’t have a weight-bearing issue. I think (the problem is) the way the rule is defined and written as opposed to the intent of it.

“I think there needs to be a second action by the defender in a pinning, weight-bearing mode, and that clearly wasn’t the case with Terrell. He hit Brady Quinn, who was in the air, both his feet were off the ground, and when they did hit the ground, he continued in one fluid motion and rolled off. So I didn’t agree with the call at all.”

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I wish that I could find the video or another picture of the hit further in progress. However, what I remember from the game was that Manning subsequently arched his back and drove his shoulder and weight into Quinn's body. Five years ago that was acceptable in the NFL. Now they throw flags. Had Manning continued his picture-perfect hit as shown above by letting go and merely knocking Quinn down, the penalty could have been averted. The problem is that Manning left his feet to finish the tackle, but he didn't need to do that. That's my opinion.

Textbook hit? Yes.
Textbook quaterback tackle? No.

Counter arguments...

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It was a perfectly legit hit. The players no longer know what's acceptable when it comes to rushing the passer. It won't be long before all QBs are simply declared untouchable. The game has so many penalties now that it is becoming unwatchable.

H

HardRightEdge

Textbook hit. Very similar to one Clay got flagged for last year.

Why should the defender need to let let go? Is he supposed to fall on his face? Wrapping up and following through prevents DEFENDER injury, if anybody cares about that any more.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I really don't think that there can be a legit counter argument, El.

It is a bonafide 'textbook', plain and simple. Hell, back in the day I used to pick the QB up and throw him 5 yards...hahahaa. I know dirty...I know malicious -- THIS was a thing of beauty to be honest.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I thought it was textbook. However, I haven't seen any replays other than what was shown during the game. And, during the replays, we had to listen to the broadcaster (was it Phil Simms?) blather on how obvious that the hit was illegal...

I didn't see it. But, I would like to see the video in slo-mo with someone more knowledgeable than me describing the infraction.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was textbook. However, I haven't seen any replays other than what was shown during the game. And, during the replays, we had to listen to the broadcaster (was it Phil Simms?) blather on how obvious that the hit was illegal...

I didn't see it. But, I would like to see the video in slo-mo with someone more knowledgeable than me describing the infraction.

Well, the ball was still in his hands when he hit him. He didn't make contact with the helmet. He didn't hit him low. He didn't lead with his own helmet. The only reason it may have appeared illegal is because Quinn jumped as he was being hit. That's on him. The damn ref in that game needs put to pasture.

Conclusion? Simms is a blathering idiot.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hell, even in the damn pre-season we get screwed on calls vs the seaCawks. I watched NFL replay on NFL network and saw the game, that hit was EXACTLY how I was taught when I played and that is how I teach my son and his teammates to tackle....stick,wrap, and drive'em to the turf.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember, the broadcasters are working for the NFL--they are NOT reporters. I watched the video of John Riggins the other night. Now, there is a guy I'd like to have commenting on games.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
....stick,wrap, and drive'em to the turf.
...and the "drive'em to the turf" part is what I think is not textbook anymore. The NFL is trying to protect QBs and keep them upright. Team owners don't want their billion dollar investments driven into the turf. Everything prior to the drive'em to the turf part is textbook. The NFL is changing the textbook and that is my point, not that's it's wrong in my eyes but what the NFL is attempting to change.

It's not as cut and dry as everyone wants it to be

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
The QB/RB/WR/TE or whomever may have the ball, all deserve to be tackled and should be tackled with the proper technique. Nobody rates a different way to be tackled due to position played, that is just silly. This game is played at such a fast pace, there is no time to make split second tackle adjustments. Stick'em, wrap'em, drive'em.....that way they don't have a chance to get away and go anywhere. If my 11-13 year olds can do it without a complaint, then these high paid muscle bound tough guys should too.

Members online

Latest posts