1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Texans release former first-round pick Buchanon

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by MajicMan, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  2. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The guy is a total bust. The Raiders traded him because he stunk there. The Texans cut him because he stunk there. I would avoid Buchanon.

3. DeusNova

DeusNova Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed with Porky88...Buchanon is a clone of Carrol

4. Raider Pride

Raider Pride Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    The Raiders Traded him becuase they should have never drafted him in the first place. Al Davis loves speed.... Al Davis has been burned by drafting for speed more than he has succeded by drafting speed over heart.

I think my Packers did the same thing in drafting A.C. No fricken heart, no team building skills, and not coachable.

It is a joke.

5. Yared-Yam

Yared-Yam Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd take AC over him 24/7. Plus the 2nd Saviour is coming back this week. Will Blackmon. He's like Greg Jennings on defense.

6. billv

billv Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He can return punts, though.

7. pack_in_black

pack_in_black Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

rotflmao @ 2nd savior. Hope you're right, but oh my god that's brilliant wording.

Edit: and I applaud you for that, sir.

8. digsthepack

digsthepack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    He had earned the tag "coward" by damn near the entire locker room. Apparently, he does not like contact...which is not a good thing for a football player!

9. PackerLegend

PackerLegend Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    BUCHANON SIGNS WITH BUCS

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have signed cornerback Phillip Buchanon to a one-year contract, at a prorated base salary of $585,000.

Buchanon was released by the Texans on Monday. And the Texans actually did him a big favor by making the move when they did.

If the Texans had waited until Wednesday, Buchanon would have been required to pass through waivers. As it stands, Buchanon became a free agent.

Under NFL rules, players with less than four credited seasons always pass through waivers whenever they are cut, with the worst team to the best team getting a shot to claim him. Prior to the trading deadline, vested veterans instantly become free agents. After the trading deadline, however, all players regardless of tenure must go through waivers.

In Buchanon's case, someone like the Packers might have taken a chance on him. His full base salary was only $800,000, and with six weeks in the books the balance would have been only $517,650.

So Buchanon instead will earn $378,529 from the Bucs along with the balance of his $800,000 salary from the Texans, since he is now entitled (as a vested veteran) to receive termination pay.

The end result? His total 2006 income increased in one day by more than $375,000, assuming he finishes the season with Tampa.

It's baffling, in our view, that the Texans wouldn't have waited until Wednesday to cut him loose, in the hopes that someone would pick up his contract -- and allow the Texans to get off the hook for more than $500,000 in unpaid wages.

We're also told that the Texans tried to trade Buchanon before cutting him, but found no takers.

Buchanon was a first-round draft choice in 2002 out of the "M", and he was traded to Houston in 2005 for a second-round and third-round draft pick in 2006. Bucs G.M. Bruce Allen was in that same role with the Raiders when Buchanon was drafted.

10. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't Buchanon the one that Brett picked on like a school girl on his big Monday nighter. He came out with potential until it was realized he had no skills on the deep ball.

11. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  12. MajicMan

MajicMan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That didn't take long...Less that 24 hours on the street. Whatever, anyone who is mentioned with AC...

I don't want.