Texans get consent to interview Packers' McKenzie

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetombradyhater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=42.957176+-
from nfl.com (http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/HOU/9454386)

Texans get consent to interview McKenzie
NFL.com wire reports
GREEN BAY, Wis. (May 22, 2006) -- The Green Bay Packers have given the Houston Texans permission to interview Reggie McKenzie for their vacant general manager job, but McKenzie said that the Texans have not yet called to schedule an interview.

"It's an honor to be considered," said McKenzie, the Packers director of pro personnel. "But make no bones about it, I love being with the Packers. I like this job, I like the people I work with, and my family really likes it here. So we'll see where it goes."

McKenzie, who joined the Packers' front office in 1994 and developed into a well-respected executive under former general manager Ron Wolf, has had chances for other jobs in the past and turned them down.

"Really, the situation has to be right," McKenzie said. "I really like working here. If I didn't like working here, I would have jumped at the first opportunity, and that wasn't the route I wanted to go. So far, it's worked for me and my family here."

McKenzie said this would be his first interview for a general manager spot, something Wolf always told him to shoot for.

"He told me he thought I would be one one day," McKenzie said. "I guess he was right -- hopefully."

Denver assistant general manager Rick Smith interviewed with the Texans May 19. Smith and McKenzie both are black, representing a potential step forward for a league that has been criticized for not having enough minorities coaching on the sidelines or managing in front offices.

"The bottom line is, a lot of the people who work with guys like myself hopefully are realizing that a lot of people can do the job," McKenzie said. "If they feel comfortable with me, whether it be here or wherever, that's an opportunity. If you can do it, you can do it. It's a good thing."

Smith worked with new Texans coach Gary Kubiak while with the Broncos, but McKenzie also has a connection to the Texans -- former Packers coach Mike Sherman is now the team's assistant head coach. McKenzie said he hasn't talked to Sherman recently, but plans to.

He's optimistic, but not counting on anything.

"It's flattering, but we'll take one step at a time and see where it goes," McKenzie said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts