Terrible Officiating

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It must have been hard for you Packer Fans to take some of those calls. At least it was balanced out by some terrible calls against the Bucs as well--but I'd have rather seen the game that the refs took away from all of us (the well-officiated version).

Pretty good defense by you guys, and decent pass protection, too.
Favre made some nice throws, and Green still has a good ability to bounce off of the initial tackler.
I must say that our first round pick shows an ability like that, also.

Good game, when the refs weren't tinkering with it.

I thought that the Bucs would win this one 27-13. Your passing game was better than I thought it would be. Turnovers killed you guys, though.

Cheers.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Yup. Ref's suck. Too many rules for a violent game. They should just let them play, the strong survive the weak play for the Vikings.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks. You guys have a bright future with those young guys at RB and WR. I'm still not sold on Griese though, but you never know. Gannon was a late bloomer with Gruden, maybe Griese will too.

We got hosed by a couple of calls by the refs that hurt and might have changed the outcome, but if the Packers can't make an extra point or a field goal, they have to look in the mirror first before pointing a finger at the refs.

It sucks we lost, but I thought it was an entertaining game no matter who won. Thanks for beating the Vikings 2 weeks ago. Be sure to do the same to the Bears and Lions.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucfan219 said:
It must have been hard for you Packer Fans to take some of those calls. At least it was balanced out by some terrible calls against the Bucs as well--but I'd have rather seen the game that the refs took away from all of us (the well-officiated version).

Favre made some nice throws, and Green still has a good ability to bounce off of the initial tackler.

I thought that the Bucs would win this one 27-13. Your passing game was better than I thought it would be. Turnovers killed you guys, though.

Cheers.

Slick & AZ both have my sentiments in mind ---- this "could have been" a good game - had it not been for the No. 14 Referree who was obviously in the back pocket of whatever Bookie was sittin' in the stands.... THAT's RIGHT, I SAID BOOKIE.

No. 14 reminds me "exactly" of No. 29.... when it comes to Refs.
THEY ARE BOTH CORRUPT and ON THE TAKE.....

This time around Bucfan - the Packers did not beat themselves.... Chucky was handed a gift - You know it, and I know it. Let's be real for just a sec - now that the game is over with and we can do nothing to change things... I'll not sell a bunch of John Kerry tripe on this game... the Packers had this game stolen by the Refs on at least three occasions - YOU, on the other hand - DID NOT.

I'll be back........................................

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Slick & AZ both have my sentiments in mind ---- this "could have been" a good game - had it not been for the No. 14 Referree who was obviously in the back pocket of whatever Bookie was sittin' in the stands.... THAT's RIGHT, I SAID BOOKIE.

No. 14 reminds me "exactly" of No. 29.... when it comes to Refs.
THEY ARE BOTH CORRUPT and ON THE TAKE.....

This time around Bucfan - the Packers did not beat themselves....

Sure they did. They fumbled the ball away on their first drive. Favre threw the ball up for grabs six times (counting a heater off of Derrick Brooks).

Chucky was handed a gift - You know it, and I know it.

The truth is that neither one of us will know what would have happened if all of the bad calls (and there were several that affected both teams) hadn't been made.

Let's be real for just a sec - now that the game is over with and we can do nothing to change things... I'll not sell a bunch of John Kerry tripe on this game... the Packers had this game stolen by the Refs on at least three occasions - YOU, on the other hand - DID NOT.

I'll be back........................................

I can understand how the disappointment of losing would have caused you to have the conspiracy glasses on. Fans on the TBBBB are saying that the refs had it in for the Bucs. You're wrong and so are they.
--Brian Kelly, IIRC, intercepted Favre but was called for pass interference--a completely bogus call (offensive pass interference should have been called).
--On Griese's lone interception, the defender went through Pittman after the ball, making contact before the ball reached Pittman. That's pass interference, or is supposed to be, anyway. Watch the tape.

Those are the two biggest against the Bucs, but there were several others.
If the Refs were trying to help Gruden out then they wouldn't have flagged him for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Come back after you calm down and come to your senses.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had already accounted for at least four more occasions with which the Refs favored the Bucs on this game....

So - yeah -while I'm not as calm as I usually am... You are not puttin me off my feed about THIS game....

Gruden "deserved" that penalty - he had NO business being out "on" the field of play with this "Dallas Cowboy / Minnesoata Viking - we're protected and the Refs belong to us attitude"............ Michael Irvin was NOT in-house today... so get over it.... It gauls me to no end to see that kind of "excuse me, let;'s treat this as if it's something other than what it was" nonsense.... How many time today did I see the Bucs Players always... and I mean always ... going up to the refs during a play,...as if... they owed it to the Bucs.. for some stupid reasoning....geez - that type of EGO on the field is insulting to EVERYONE... yet certain Teams always seem to feel they are ALLOWED to hang all over the Refs ....... YOURS being one of them... (Yet, if they were right, it wouldn't be necessary, now would it)... just like Dallas and others will do.

Sad, really..... Oh yeah, right, I forgot, we're supposed to look the other way on that horse-hockey nonsense..... it wouldn't be politically correct.

I don't know you and you don't know me... let's be real and not tell each other what's "on film"....

When I'm calm? Look in the mirror....

dbucfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I had already accounted for at least four more occasions with which the Refs favored the Bucs on this game....

So - yeah -while I'm not as calm as I usually am... You are not puttin me off my feed about THIS game....

Gruden "deserved" that penalty - he had NO business being out "on" the field of play with this "Dallas Cowboy / Minnesoata Viking - we're protected and the Refs belong to us attitude"............ Michael Irvin was NOT in-house today... so get over it.... It gauls me to no end to see that kind of "excuse me, let;'s treat this as if it's something other than what it was" nonsense.... How many time today did I see the Bucs Players always... and I mean always ... going up to the refs during a play,...as if... they owed it to the Bucs.. for some stupid reasoning....geez - that type of EGO on the field is insulting to EVERYONE... yet certain Teams always seem to feel they are ALLOWED to hang all over the Refs ....... YOURS being one of them... (Yet, if they were right, it wouldn't be necessary, now would it)... just like Dallas and others will do.

Sad, really..... Oh yeah, right, I forgot, we're supposed to look the other way on that horse-hockey nonsense..... it wouldn't be politically correct.

I don't know you and you don't know me... let's be real and not tell each other what's "on film"....

And Brett doesnt get any leeway?? How about Brett walking 10 yrds onto the field screaming at refs without his helmet?? The offense wasnt even on the field? Put the "no flag for Brett" in YOUR pipe and smoke it!!

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:

And I've recounted most of those myself on the TBBBB. Intentional grounding, a fumble, and a bogus roughing call. What would you add to round it out to four?

Gruden "deserved" that penalty - he had NO business being out "on" the field of play with this "Dallas Cowboy / Minnesoata Viking - we're protected and the Refs belong to us attitude"............

I agree that Gruden probably deserved the penalty. I simply mentioned that one to show that the Refs weren't trying to help Gruden. It would have helped Gruden more if they had ignored his stepping on the field along with his profanity-laced commentary.

Michael Irvin was NOT in-house today... so get over it....

It would be nice if you could see the point.

It gauls me to no end to see that kind of "excuse me, let;'s treat this as if it's something other than what it was" nonsense....

Then put yourself on "ignore".
;)

How many time today did I see the Bucs Players always... and I mean always ... going up to the refs during a play,...as if... they owed it to the Bucs.. for some stupid reasoning....geez - that type of EGO on the field is insulting to EVERYONE... yet certain Teams always seem to feel they are ALLOWED to hang all over the Refs ....... YOURS being one of them... (Yet, if they were right, it wouldn't be necessary, now would it)... just like Dallas and others will do.

I'll have to look more closely at the political lobbying efforts of the respective teams, I suppose.
The issue doesn't really contribute to your supposition that GB was systematically shafted, however.

Well, unless there's a rule against talking to the game officials, it seems that it isn't even an issue of being politically correct, AFAICT.

I don't have to know you to know that Pittman was interfered with. You can't look at the play objectively and tell me that that Carrol didn't hit Pittman in the shoulder from behind before the ball reached Pittman's hands. Deny it and you simply prove that you're the homer you appear to be.
Homers can be great fans--but don't trust their postgame analysis.

I've got no reason to be upset, and not coincidentally I'm not upset in the least. It's disappointing that the game officials were inept, but my team won. It's disappointing (slightly) that you can't see the fact that there were horrible calls affecting both teams, but what you think isn't really important. You can get so upset that your brains leak out of the pores in your forehead, but it's not going to affect the score any.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The blown call on the griese fumble was an absolute game-breaker...That's all I remember concerning the officiating in this game, or should I say, care to. It would have taken 10 horrible calls on the bucs to make up for that huge gamebreaker that official jumped the gun on...

***** happens, I only wish that officials would rule a fumble when there's any doubt so it can be reviewed...Know how the rules work, and use caution.

I can only imagine how that official must have felt looking at the tape and having to come back and take the ball away from the Pack on the opposing ten. I wish the Pack crowd had the gusto to boo every play from there-on-out.

Packers fight hard to put themselves in excellent shape to go up, and change the face of the game, and the head official out-and-out screws us...

I wanted to hurl.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't blame it on the refs. Just because they reviewed an unreviewable play after messing up the original call is no rea...you know, i cant even finish this sentence. The refs were horrible and should be fined for breaking the rules.

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
The blown call on the griese fumble was an absolute game-breaker...That's all I remember concerning the officiating in this game, or should I say, care to. It would have taken 10 horrible calls on the bucs to make up for that huge gamebreaker that official jumped the gun on...

You might as well be Madame Claudia with that type of predictive power.

The two examples I gave of bad calls going against the Bucs were both huge. One was a 25 yard penalty (with an ensuing TD) and the other a change of possession late in the game.
You don't know what the outcome would have been if the fumble by Griese had been ruled correctly. For all you know, Favre would have been picked off for a TD by Ronde Barber on the very next play.

carol k

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with you IBPrez. The officiating was horrible. I was on another Packer forum earlier, and the people on that one too were all upset with the zebras. I can't believe this. Granted Favre threw interceptions and Ryan missed his field goal and extra point. But, if the refs had called things fairly, we might have won. My brother-in-law has always stated that he thinks these games are fixed, and I have always told him that wasn't so, but I am wondering if I shouldn't start believing him. Well, as I have said before, what goes around, comes around, and those refs are going to have to answer to someone someday for their unfairness.

PPierce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The refs have made themselves as big a part of the game as the players are. I know the NFL wants more scoring the calls are ridiculous. The Griese call was definitely a demoralizing dealbreaker. Sure, we didn't help ourselves witht he turnovers, but this one was ours. Thanks for the nice words, BucFan.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like "219" took what I had to say personally - while I am quite sure I was glossing over in generalities... as a whole - I did not single out Mr. 219 in any fashion other than to say that we don't know each other at all....

I stand by what I said - the Players, on any Team, do not need to be consulting with the Refs - in an effort to bend their ears for preferential play calling - the Cowboys were famous for it in Irvin's day - the Vikings consistently do it all the time... and now we're seeing BIG EGO Tampa Bay gain that bad habit as well.... Sad to see a Team has to attempt to puppeteer the Refs to get over in a game... And trust me folks - this game was a "gift" to the Bucs and even on the Czaban Show today - they were discussing it - although they also said the Packers would be 0-4 next week as well.... Which I don't doubt.

Calling a fumble a fumble, yet saying the play was also blown dead and therefore irreversible is No.14 in the Bookies back pocket and a ruling on the field which needs to be removed from their so-called rule book --- I have NO doubt everyone would say the same if it was their Team, including 219.

The Packers have a history of Refs playing against them - remember the Jerry Rice fumble which kept us out of the Playoffs in Niner Country - a clear fumble which the Refs refused to overturn since it made them look bad if they did.... same instance here... absolutely no difference.

And with regards to certain bad calls at the Bucs - well.. let's just say the Packers suffered numerous bad calls waaay before they finally pulled a token bad call at the Bucs to sorta balance things out on live TV. It didn't go that way until practically halftime.... so yes.. the Bucs were protected for the most part by the Refs and the Packers were playing against a two-on-one scenario.... Not being able to admit it - is...another thing altogether!

This isn't personal towards any Member who wants to come in and chat football - I'd appreciate it if others kept it about football and not personal in return..... I was generalizing all the way and not singling out anyone....

The one thing we've always noticed - especially on the CBSsportsline Forum Boards - is that Eagles, Raiders and Bucs fans have been notoriously personal with their football commentary... and rarely keep it on topic... No Offense to our resident Raidah fan - he's been pretty faithful to the rules.. and we all appreciate that... But, you guys get my point and can always go over there and read some of their nonsense.... that is if you feel like having your time wasted....

I'm not takin anyhting back on what I wrote last nite... it was "on da money"....

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
carol k said:
I agree with you IBPrez. The officiating was horrible. I was on another Packer forum earlier, and the people on that one too were all upset with the zebras. I can't believe this. Granted Favre threw interceptions and Ryan missed his field goal and extra point. But, if the refs had called things fairly, we might have won.

Or you might have lost even worse (unless you're better than Madame Claudia). Do you think that Kelly interfered with your receiver on that long pass interference call? If yes, then wasn't Galloway interfered with on a critical play late in the game?
Be real, Packerfans.

My brother-in-law has always stated that he thinks these games are fixed, and I have always told him that wasn't so, but I am wondering if I shouldn't start believing him. Well, as I have said before, what goes around, comes around, and those refs are going to have to answer to someone someday for their unfairness.

The officials were simply inept, and it affected both teams substantially.

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Looks like "219" took what I had to say personally - while I am quite sure I was glossing over in generalities... as a whole - I did not single out Mr. 219 in any fashion other than to say that we don't know each other at all....

And I still have no idea why you would mention that we don't know each other at all. It doesnt' have anything to do with the topic, AFAICT. Nor do I know why you think I took something personally (it's not like you gave a reason for thinking so).

I stand by what I said - the Players, on any Team, do not need to be consulting with the Refs - in an effort to bend their ears for preferential play calling - the Cowboys were famous for it in Irvin's day - the Vikings consistently do it all the time... and now we're seeing BIG EGO Tampa Bay gain that bad habit as well....

Again, even if the TB players were actually running around during each play instructing the refs as to how they should call the game, it doesn't have anything to do with the way we describe accuracy of the officiating as it affected both teams.
Prez is creating a diversion from the issue of how the officiating affected the game in favor of attacking the character of the TB team.

We've still got that pic of Marco Rivera with his fist planted on Ellis Wyms face while Wyms is on the ground if you want to talk about team character ...

Sad to see a Team has to attempt to puppeteer the Refs to get over in a game... And trust me folks - this game was a "gift" to the Bucs and even on the Czaban Show today - they were discussing it - although they also said the Packers would be 0-4 next week as well.... Which I don't doubt.

Prez is still in character attack mode ... apparently with no reply to my examples of calls that went against the Bucs.

Calling a fumble a fumble, yet saying the play was also blown dead and therefore irreversible is No.14 in the Bookies back pocket and a ruling on the field which needs to be removed from their so-called rule book --- I have NO doubt everyone would say the same if it was their Team, including 219.

Once an official blows the whistle, the rules do no permit the ball to change hands. It would be upsetting for any fan to have that call go against his team, but OTOH you can't expect the officials to ignore their own rules for handling those situations just because you're the Packers.
Can you?

The Packers have a history of Refs playing against them - remember the Jerry Rice fumble which kept us out of the Playoffs in Niner Country - a clear fumble which the Refs refused to overturn since it made them look bad if they did.... same instance here... absolutely no difference.

The Bucs have been penalized for about 100 yards in every game this year.
Clearly we are the darlings of the league.

And with regards to certain bad calls at the Bucs - well.. let's just say the Packers suffered numerous bad calls waaay before they finally pulled a token bad call at the Bucs to sorta balance things out on live TV. It didn't go that way until practically halftime.... so yes.. the Bucs were protected for the most part by the Refs and the Packers were playing against a two-on-one scenario.... Not being able to admit it - is...another thing altogether!

Man, you're ironic!
The Packers committed about three pass interference penalties that were not called. The Packers were offsides twice and it wasn't called. There's no way that Anthony Davis could have held KGB on the one holding call that they bothered to show on replay.

This isn't personal towards any Member who wants to come in and chat football - I'd appreciate it if others kept it about football and not personal in return..... I was generalizing all the way and not singling out anyone....

I guess you're referring to the fact that I MOL called you a homer.
It's really nothing personal. You just aren't looking at the game objectively. Most fans don't.

The one thing we've always noticed - especially on the CBSsportsline Forum Boards - is that Eagles, Raiders and Bucs fans have been notoriously personal with their football commentary... and rarely keep it on topic...

A-ha! The bad character of those Eagles, Raiders, and Bucs fans! How dare they veer off-topic from the issue of the game officiating!
:)

No Offense to our resident Raidah fan - he's been pretty faithful to the rules.. and we all appreciate that... But, you guys get my point and can always go over there and read some of their nonsense.... that is if you feel like having your time wasted....

I'm not takin anyhting back on what I wrote last nite... it was "on da 7money"....

So the Packers are the target of the officials ... just like every other team in the league.

Here's the truth straight up: Teams with some history tend to get the questionable calls going their way. It's not a consistent tendency since the officials really do try to be objective. It's just not easy to be perfectly objective. They've got a tough job. Individual players also get the borderline calls based on their reputations. A Rice is more likely to draw a holding call than a Spires.
Every year some teams wind up with more critical calls going against them than some other teams. Probably most teams get a chance to be favored by the end of the year as well as getting shafted by the end of the year. Fans across the league are almost uniformly certain that their team is consistently being shafted.
Only Packerfan is truly right about this being the case.

Blue is for sarcasm, just in case it isn't clear.

dbucfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well said 219!!...right on the money. I didnt see any favorites...just a bunch of horrible calls penalizing both teams or NOT penalizing for that matter...and one extremely good point was that we are THE MOST penalized team in the NFL so this conspiracy crap is rubbish.

Bucs3-0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:

I stand by what I said - the Players, on any Team, do not need to be consulting with the Refs - in an effort to bend their ears for preferential play calling - the Cowboys were famous for it in Irvin's day - the Vikings consistently do it all the time... and now we're seeing BIG EGO Tampa Bay gain that bad habit as well.... Sad to see a Team has to attempt to puppeteer the Refs to get over in a game... And trust me folks - this game was a "gift" to the Bucs and even on the Czaban Show today - they were discussing it - although they also said the Packers would be 0-4 next week as well.... Which I don't doubt.

The one thing we've always noticed - especially on the CBSsportsline Forum Boards - is that Eagles, Raiders and Bucs fans have been notoriously personal with their football commentary... and rarely keep it on topic... No Offense to our resident Raidah fan - he's been pretty faithful to the rules.. and we all appreciate that... But, you guys get my point and can always go over there and read some of their nonsense.... that is if you feel like having your time wasted....

I'm not takin anyhting back on what I wrote last nite... it was "on da money"....

IB, this doesn't sound like the same person I spoke with last week. It is **** poor that the refs affected the outcome of this game. From the blown fumble call, to the (I now have no idea what pass interference is) penalties, to me pounding my hand on the table spilling my beer, idoitic moronic, are these guys actually employed by the NFL ridiculous calls. I hate, hate when refs suck it makes the game really irratating to watch. I feel your pain (although we won), I have been on the losing side of that. The NFL is not on the Bucs side if that is what you are implying, NFC championship game 1999, 13 penalties a game. To Sunday when there were many imaginary holding penalties. I thought that I had a good grasp of what the rules were, but now I am seriously confused.

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucfan219 said:

Cheers.

yes bucfan. congrats. what can we say? what to do. bad luck all around.
I also believe that the refs are biased against us.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your right, BucsFan...

Good job.

Now have a nice life.

No one's interested in hearing your needless arguements about a justified pass interference call (arm hook), and a reasonable TD nix after the head official blew the game changing defensive play for the Pack. I would have liked to see Griese play from behind...

You knew some favorable calls were coming our way after the head official had to take the walk of shame...But no call could make up for that brain fart...Ya got a pretty good D, those situations are tough to come by.

I'd take my chances on the Pack taking the lead, with the ball on the ten and a major momentum push in their pocket...no need to see the future...Hell, I'd take a field goal there...But whatever...

You got it. Good job. Just needed a little help. See ya next time...I'm out.

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
Your right, BucsFan...

Good job.

Now have a nice life.

No one's interested in hearing your needless arguements about a justified pass interference call (arm hook),

Yet you replied.
If Kelly interfered, then the lack of a call on the Galloway play was unconscionable.
Fact is that Kelly had position on your guy, and your guy is the one who impeded Kelly with his own arm-hook. The defender has an equal right to the ball, and the offensive player has no more right to interfere than does the defender.

and a reasonable TD nix after the head official blew the game changing defensive play for the Pack. I would have liked to see Griese play from behind...

You knew some favorable calls were coming our way after the head official had to take the walk of shame...But no call could make up for that brain fart...Ya got a pretty good D, those situations are tough to come by.

I'd take my chances on the Pack taking the lead, with the ball on the ten and a major momentum push in their pocket...no need to see the future...Hell, I'd take a field goal there...But whatever...

You got it. Good job. Just needed a little help. See ya next time...I'm out.

Cya.
Thanks for recognizing that nobody this side of God knows what would have happened given proper officiating.

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bucfan219 said:
IPBprez said:

And I've recounted most of those myself on the TBBBB. Intentional grounding, a fumble, and a bogus roughing call. What would you add to round it out to four?

I think the PI penalty on Kelly in the 1st Q was HUGE. Driver was never touched down and the officials blew a whistle. We got screwed on that one too.

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember the Packers being given a game against the Vikings last year on a horse s**t call. To start blaming the refs for the Packers problems is weak. The Packers are 0-3 because they are not a good football team.
If you really want to see the refs go against the Packers then let them start mouthing off about the officiating.
:rules:

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philtration said:
To start blaming the refs for the Packers problems is weak.

No, what's weak is having the head official right on top of a play and get it wrong. That official was 5 yards away from where Griese fumbled the ball, and he missed the call. We get the ball on the 10 yard line right there, it is a different game.

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ORRELSE said:
Bucfan219 said:
IPBprez said:

I think the PI penalty on Kelly in the 1st Q was HUGE. Driver was never touched down and the officials blew a whistle. We got screwed on that one too.

Television replays aren't the most reliable thing to go by, but it looked to me as though Kelly touched down driver, perhaps ever twice (once with is foot, and once with his hand). Only one is needed, of course.
Seeing your post makes me want to pop in the tape and watch it again!

Okay, I watched it again. Several times, in fact. With slow motion and all that other stuff.
I can't say that Kelly touched him without question--but I don't think that anybody can say that Kelly didn't touch him and be sure about it without viewing a replay that wasn't televised. Kelly's left foot may have touched Driver's foot while Driver was on the ground (Kelly's stumble may be because of this, but my picture is too fuzzy to make it certain). Additionally, Kelly made a swipe at Driver's leg with his hand. If he doesn't touch him, then his fingertips come within a frog's whisker of touching him. Again, there's nothing on the replay that makes it absolutely certain (such as contact with the leg causing Kelly's fingers to bend back as they would have if solid contact had been made).

Members online

Latest posts