Terrelle Smith - Just became available.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Browns | T. Smith released
Wed, 14 Mar 2007 14:30:45 -0700

The Cleveland Browns have released FB Terrelle Smith.

A buising lead blocker that could open up some holes here in Packerland:)

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theres only one thing to do at a time like this.

Rally to pick him up and whine about it if we don't get him.

Terrel Smith rulez! REORO!!

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well here is a little about him and only saying that all the people that got all wound up about missing on Griffith, players become available all off-season long. He is alot like Big Will.. doesn't carry the ball alot, bruising blocker. Not as active in the recieving department though.

Not sold on banking strickly on Miree... and no depth or competition on the roster yet.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/187880

CLEVELAND (March 14, 2007) -- The Browns terminated fullback Terrelle Smith's contract before he was due a roster bonus at the end of the week.

Smith, who has blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in five of his seven seasons, joined the Browns as a free agent in 2004.

Reuben Droughns rushed for 1,232 yards behind Smith in 2005, becoming the first Browns back to surpass 1,000 yards since Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner did it in 1985.

The Browns' running game regressed last season, when Droughns gained just 758 yards.

Smith played in 16 games last season, including eight starts, and had eight carries for 14 yards and eight receptions for 21 yards.

He will be replaced by Lawrence Vickers, a sixth-round draft pick last season and a favorite of coach Romeo Crennel.

Smith, originally an unrestricted free agent out of Arizona State, played four seasons in New Orleans. He blocked for a 1,000-yard rusher in each season there -- Ricky Williams in 2000 and 2001, and Deuce McAllister in 2002 and 2003.

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
theres only one thing to do at a time like this.

Rally to pick him up and whine about it if we don't get him.

Terrel Smith rulez! REORO!!

You said it.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
Well start the clamoring:) Watch him play... high energy emotional player. I think he is more of a player than they discribe below.

Visit set:Terrelle Smith, the New Orleans Saints' starting fullback during the first four of Mike McCarthy's five seasons as their offensive coordinator, will pay a free-agent visit to the Packers early next week.

Smith (6-0, 255) is expected to arrive in Green Bay Monday night and visit with coaches Tuesday, the second day of the team's off-season workout program.

The Packers are looking for a fullback either to replace Brandon Miree or split time with him. William Henderson, their No. 1 fullback since 1996, was released last week.

Labeled by one NFC personnel man as a "banger," the 29-year-old Smith spent the last three seasons starting for the Cleveland Browns. They cut him Wednesday, one day before he was due a $75,000 roster bonus, and promoted Lawrence Vickers to starting fullback.

Agent Ryan Tollner said Green Bay would be Smith's first visit. Arizona, Tampa Bay and Kansas City also have expressed interest.

"Terrelle played for Coach McCarthy and holds him in the highest regard," Tollner said.

Smith's function throughout his career was serving as a lead blocker for tailbacks, including Ricky Williams and Deuce McAllister in New Orleans. He had some back problems early in his career, but hasn't missed a game in the last three seasons.

"He's a spot guy," another NFC personnel executive said. "Not a real strong blocker or a real strong receiver. He looks the part much more than he plays the part."

From 2000-'06, Smith (107 games, 68 starts) and Henderson (109 games, 65 starts) played almost exactly the same amount. Henderson, however, caught 182 passes for 1,374 yards and 10 touchdowns in that span compared with 58 for 271 and three TDs for Smith.

The Saints drafted Smith in the fourth round in 2000 from Arizona State. He went to Cleveland as an unrestricted free agent in March 2004, signing a four-year, $4.36 million contract that contained a $1.075 million signing bonus. His base salary was supposed to have been $1 million in '07.

In 16 days of free agency, six fullbacks have found new teams and three others have re-signed. Justin Griffith, who went from Atlanta to Oakland, drew keen interest from the Packers.

Other than Smith, the fullback corps is almost depleted. Daimon Shelton of Buffalo and James Hodgins of the Jets are others of interest.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well start the clamoring:) Watch him play... high energy emotional player. I think he is more of a player than they discribe below.

Visit set:Terrelle Smith, the New Orleans Saints' starting fullback during the first four of Mike McCarthy's five seasons as their offensive coordinator, will pay a free-agent visit to the Packers early next week.

Smith (6-0, 255) is expected to arrive in Green Bay Monday night and visit with coaches Tuesday, the second day of the team's off-season workout program.

The Packers are looking for a fullback either to replace Brandon Miree or split time with him. William Henderson, their No. 1 fullback since 1996, was released last week.

Labeled by one NFC personnel man as a "banger," the 29-year-old Smith spent the last three seasons starting for the Cleveland Browns. They cut him Wednesday, one day before he was due a $75,000 roster bonus, and promoted Lawrence Vickers to starting fullback.

Agent Ryan Tollner said Green Bay would be Smith's first visit. Arizona, Tampa Bay and Kansas City also have expressed interest.

"Terrelle played for Coach McCarthy and holds him in the highest regard," Tollner said.

Smith's function throughout his career was serving as a lead blocker for tailbacks, including Ricky Williams and Deuce McAllister in New Orleans. He had some back problems early in his career, but hasn't missed a game in the last three seasons.

"He's a spot guy," another NFC personnel executive said. "Not a real strong blocker or a real strong receiver. He looks the part much more than he plays the part."

From 2000-'06, Smith (107 games, 68 starts) and Henderson (109 games, 65 starts) played almost exactly the same amount. Henderson, however, caught 182 passes for 1,374 yards and 10 touchdowns in that span compared with 58 for 271 and three TDs for Smith.

The Saints drafted Smith in the fourth round in 2000 from Arizona State. He went to Cleveland as an unrestricted free agent in March 2004, signing a four-year, $4.36 million contract that contained a $1.075 million signing bonus. His base salary was supposed to have been $1 million in '07.

In 16 days of free agency, six fullbacks have found new teams and three others have re-signed. Justin Griffith, who went from Atlanta to Oakland, drew keen interest from the Packers.

Other than Smith, the fullback corps is almost depleted. Daimon Shelton of Buffalo and James Hodgins of the Jets are others of interest.

I would have rather had Griffith but anything at this position would be an upgrade

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is an excellent lead blocker but a poor fit in a WCO. He can lay out some linebackers though, dude is a hammer.

OP
OP
Pack93z

Pack93z

Reaction score
If the guy isn't worth a $75,000 RB to the Browns, how valuable can he be?

They have Vickers on the roster which is a Romeo favorite, they are clearing the way for Lawrence.

I am not saying he is the answer to all our needs, but the "cat" has a high reving motor, as mention above can put his helmet into a LB chest and lay him out. Lacks the proof that he can be the receiver we need, but has some fire in his belly to lead for a RB.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the guy isn't worth a $75,000 RB to the Browns, how valuable can he be?

Competition. Make Miree earn in it in training camp. I don't want to see any more players back their way into a starting position or earn it by default like Marquand Manuel did a year ago.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a good fit for us, is he?

I thought TT and MM wanted the fullback to be more involved and get carries once in a while, rather than doing nothing but block a la Henderson.

Members online

Latest posts