Ted's way

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most are aware TT is known for his draft and develop strategy. I didn't realize, though, the extent of our home grown talent until NBC posted the fact that, of our 53 man roster, only Pickett, Kuhn and Seneca Wallace had ever suited up for another team. That's 50 players that have never played for another team! Impressive. Apparently no other team has more than 40.
This wouldn't mean much if he wasn't drafting talented players, but the way we've been able to overcome all the injuries this season with the next man up philosophy speaks to his and our scouting department's abilities. Credit also needs to go to McCarthy and his staff for getting these players ready to step in when needed.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you can't underestimate the value of having guys that have spent the entire time in the system, know the system, and work within the system.

We didn't necessarily have the best players in 2010, but we had the best team. While the Eagles tried to build a team through free agency and failed miserably.

Free agency should be used as a secondary piece to the draft and develop system -- not as a primary method of building a team.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but most forum members want to aquire old washed up talent and panic. like we're the vikings or something.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That statistic blew me away. I would never have guessed only three guys had ever played for other teams. In this age of free agency it is simply amazing.

When I heard the announcers make the point it occurred to me that at the pro level essentially all the athletes are freaks of nature. They run faster, jump higher lift more and an endure more punishment than normal humans. The fifty-third man on the roster is still a monster athlete. So much depends on what the coaching staff can get them to do with all that talent, and do the players have the brains to understand and follow the system and read the game as it changes on the fly. One thing I think TT has done very well is to draft smart players. Pre-TT we would often draft physical specimens who just weren't bright enough to excel in the system. I think New England's long-running success can also be attributed in part to a focus on guys who are smart enough to learn, remember and adapt.

Of course there are monsters within the elite group of freaks of nature like Megatron.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That statistic blew me away. I would never have guessed only three guys had ever played for other teams. In this age of free agency it is simply amazing.

When I heard the announcers make the point it occurred to me that at the pro level essentially all the athletes are freaks of nature. They run faster, jump higher lift more and an endure more punishment than normal humans. The fifty-third man on the roster is still a monster athlete. So much depends on what the coaching staff can get them to do with all that talent, and do the players have the brains to understand and follow the system and read the game as it changes on the fly. One thing I think TT has done very well is to draft smart players. Pre-TT we would often draft physical specimens who just weren't bright enough to excel in the system. I think New England's long-running success can also be attributed in part to a focus on guys who are smart enough to learn, remember and adapt.

Of course there are monsters within the elite group of freaks of nature like Megatron.

He does draft plenty of physical specimens. Finley Nelson Matthews and Raji are all very impressive in the talent department and Nick Collins was a freak among freaks. I remember Collins running Adrian Peterson down from behind twice in the same game back in 2007, and he didn't even have an angle.

I think where Teddy comes into his own, finding the undervalued player. The guy who could turn into a beast but is being overlooked for whatever reason/unfair stigma.

Rodgers: Tedford product.
Finley: too young and too green.
Matthews: Barely played.
Nelson: White guy.
Jennings: Small school product, MAC player.
Collins: Small school product out of Bethune Cookman.
Sitton: Small school product.
Lang: Small school product.

Ted Thompson is the Billy Beane of Football, only he has an evenish playing field to work with.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but most forum members want to aquire old washed up talent and panic. like we're the vikings or something.

Not sure I've heard most people begging TT to acquire guys like Freeney in free agency. Most of the calls are generally for midlevel, younger players that have looked good in limited minutes.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a chance next year that all 53 roster members will only have played for the packers? It definitely seems possible.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as i tease Teddy i'll give credit for that. 3 non drafted players on a SB contending team is outstanding.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a chance next year that all 53 roster members will only have played for the packers? It definitely seems possible.

Kuhn and Pickett might definitely be replaced by homegrown players. I don't know if Wallace will be back, but I doubt they will be ready to make Tolzien the backup.

OP
OP
Royal Pain

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed. And to add to that, he also drafts high character players. Some may argue that bringing Jolly back doesn't fit with that philosophy but, my take is that Jolly made a youthful mistake, paid the price and has learned his lesson. I also have to believe that Thompson and McCarthy met with Jolly before he was reinstated and told him there would be zero tolerance if he had a relapse. I think it will also help him having the support system our lockerroom provides. The players I don't want to see in Green Bay are the Dez Bryants of the world. Supremely talented, but a major head case and, if you saw his sideline antics in Detroit yesterday, a very disruptive force.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
A little over two years ago I posted this in a thread titled “Thompson’s Way”:

“I’ve previously referred to an article before Super Bowl XLV that contains what I consider a very revealing Ted Thompson quote. The article quotes Mike Holmgren saying when he, Thompson and Mike Reinfeldt were in Seattle they agreed on about 90% of their personnel decisions. But on occasion when Holmgren would suggest filling a hole with a vet free agent, Thompson would invariably say, 'I can find better in the draft'.

We’ve seen that philosophy put into action as the basis of Thompson’s plan. The plan is to draft and develop talent as the core of the team. McCarthy has explicitly said so. While that is the foundation of his plan, it’s not the whole story. Thompson prefers to build his roster with youngsters; those who aren’t set in their ways and who don't have entrenched bad habits. He and his personnel staff hand those players over to the coaching staff that bears the responsibility of developing those players. When they succeed, the burden shifts back to Thompson’s front office to retain as much of the core talent they’ve discovered and developed as they are able. ...”

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/thompsons-way.29622/

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. And to add to that, he also drafts high character players. Some may argue that bringing Jolly back doesn't fit with that philosophy but, my take is that Jolly made a youthful mistake, paid the price and has learned his lesson. I also have to believe that Thompson and McCarthy met with Jolly before he was reinstated and told him there would be zero tolerance if he had a relapse. I think it will also help him having the support system our lockerroom provides. The players I don't want to see in Green Bay are the Dez Bryants of the world. Supremely talented, but a major head case and, if you saw his sideline antics in Detroit yesterday, a very disruptive force.

I like to think that is true. Our guys generally seem to behave themselves and we have avoided the obnoxious prima donnas. As great of a receiver as Randy Moss was, I'm glad he never wore a Packers uniform. Winning -- even winning the Superbowl -- with a team full of punks would feel pretty hollow. And of course, as successful as Moss was, the Vikes didn't win a ring with him.

Jolly: I definitely believe in second chances, especially for guys whose infraction was essentially victimless, like drug use. Beating up a girlfriend or shooting someone in a bar is vastly different in my mind from getting busted with codeine. I hope that Jolly really has turned his life around and can stay on the straight and narrow. Seems like he's off to a very good start.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...those who aren’t set in their ways and who don't have entrenched bad habits. He and his personnel staff hand those players over to the coaching staff that bears the responsibility of developing those players.
Blah blah blah TJV ... that's just a fancy way of saying that we brainwash our players :roflmao: :p :D

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly: I definitely believe in second chances, especially for guys whose infraction was essentially victimless, like drug use.
Let's remember that this isn't just an addict. The guy had enough that he was charged with "intent to sell" and was with others when arrested. 200 grams of purple drank wasn't just for himself, so it wasn't victimless. I'm just making a small clarification of point.

TT also gave Koren Robinson another chance after he wore out his welcome in both Seattle and Minnesota, following multiple DUI offenses which typically are also not victimless crimes - even if you don't hit someone else you are gambling with the high probability of doing so.

For all the coldness that is attributed to TT's style, one could argue that he's got a warm side for helping out players. So far, the two that he has gone to the mat for have proved out.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly: I definitely believe in second chances, especially for guys whose infraction was essentially victimless, like drug use. Beating up a girlfriend or shooting someone in a bar or ****** an underage baby sitter is vastly different in my mind from getting busted with codeine. I hope that Jolly really has turned his life around and can stay on the straight and narrow. Seems like he's off to a very good start.
Hope you don't mind that I had to add one more thing to your quote in bold.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As most are aware TT is known for his draft and develop strategy. I didn't realize, though, the extent of our home grown talent until NBC posted the fact that, of our 53 man roster, only Pickett, Kuhn and Seneca Wallace had ever suited up for another team. That's 50 players that have never played for another team! Impressive. Apparently no other team has more than 40.
This wouldn't mean much if he wasn't drafting talented players, but the way we've been able to overcome all the injuries this season with the next man up philosophy speaks to his and our scouting department's abilities. Credit also needs to go to McCarthy and his staff for getting these players ready to step in when needed.
1) We are way overdue for a Hollywood movie about the Packers and the organization.
They made Moneyball (Which is a good movie) for a baseball team that didn't win the World Series.
And yet the team that is the most unique in the NFL hasn't had any feature films about it?

2) That fact of those 50 shows, to me, that we don't need superstars or seasoned players to be on the team.
They get enough job experience by playing on the Packers.
TT recognizes players who are good and ready to play with the big boys in the NFL.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We're 83-52 in the TT regime, with numerous division titles, a Super Bowl ring, 5 playoffs appearances and 4 straight, not including whatever happens this year (division round or deeper each time)

These numbers are somewhat misleading as Sherman left Thompson with a disastrous mess when he took over which took a couple rebuilding years to turn around.

And do you know how Sherman put us into that mess? He went out and overbid on top free agents. He gave big contracts to aging veterans and constantly traded to move up in the draft and get his guy. Exactly the approach that some still inexplicably want us to take, even though what we are doing is working.

So we'll continue to go through this again every March when fans are throwing up their arms and beg TT to just sign a guy to appease the masses. I guess people just get bored in March. Well, I'd rather be bored in March than January.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
We're 83-52 in the TT regime, with numerous division titles, a Super Bowl ring, 5 playoffs appearances and 4 straight, not including whatever happens this year (division round or deeper each time)

These numbers are somewhat misleading as Sherman left Thompson with a disastrous mess when he took over which took a couple rebuilding years to turn around.

And do you know how Sherman put us into that mess? He went out and overbid on top free agents. He gave big contracts to aging veterans and constantly traded to move up in the draft and get his guy. Exactly the approach that some still inexplicably want us to take, even though what we are doing is working.

So we'll continue to go through this again every March when fans are throwing up their arms and beg TT to just sign a guy to appease the masses. I guess people just get bored in March. Well, I'd rather be bored in March than January.
Is there a link to this thread were we are throwing our arms up and begging TT to sign any guy, just so that we are appeased? I wasn't posting here in March, so I must have missed all of them.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's remember that this isn't just an addict. The guy had enough that he was charged with "intent to sell" and was with others when arrested. 200 grams of purple drank wasn't just for himself, so it wasn't victimless. I'm just making a small clarification of point.

TT also gave Koren Robinson another chance after he wore out his welcome in both Seattle and Minnesota, following multiple DUI offenses which typically are also not victimless crimes - even if you don't hit someone else you are gambling with the high probability of doing so.

For all the coldness that is attributed to TT's style, one could argue that he's got a warm side for helping out players. So far, the two that he has gone to the mat for have proved out.

Fair enough on the 'intent to sell' clarification -- that would take it beyond victimless crime in my mind. On the other hand, given what NFL players make it's hard for me to believe he felt he needed to supplement his income with dealing. I don't know the details of the case, though, so I'll refrain from further comment.

I was also okay with giving Koren Robinson another chance. As long as these guys don't get obvious preferential treatment in the criminal justice system I figure they ought to be able to at least attempt to earn their living by what they do well once they've paid their fines or done their time. I'll admit it's a tough call sometimes -- finding the right mix of insisting on high character and giving out second chances.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope you don't mind that I had to add one more thing to your quote in bold.
That was a bad one. I have no tolerance for that sort of behavior from football players or anybody else. In Chmurra's case I had a hard time maintaining an 'innocent until proven guilty' mindset. As soon as the story broke I wanted him gone.

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a link to this thread were we are throwing our arms up and begging TT to sign any guy, just so that we are appeased? I wasn't posting here in March, so I must have missed all of them.
I think its great to build a team through draft and develop, and given the realities of the salary cap there really isn't much alternative if you want to be successful. I do think a strategic acquisition on the free agent market can make sense, too. The Reggie White acquisition was absolutely huge, and Pickett has been a great player for us.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts