Teddy's future

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't think we should panic yet.

And I want to make it clear, I'm not stroking Teddy here, I don't like him and I don't think he is a Packer person.

His future with the Green Bay Packers depends on the impact he has in free agency and the draft THIS YEAR. Next year(2007) is the last year of his contract and if he doesn't stock the cupboard this year with players that can win next year, he is gone.

Unless he doesn't like Green Bay and is looking for the fast track out of town, he is going to look to make an impact with players he can sign this year.

I think he needed to make a major free agent signing by now (just one) to show his intentions to make this team better and make Green Bay a desireable place to play. I believe he has passed up that opportunity. I f he is going to nickle and dime everyone in free agency, Green Bay will not look like a desireable place to play (or even visit).

He still has a chance to make this team alot better and I have to believe he will.

I hope Teddy succeeds this year for the sake of the Packer organization.

If he whiffs on this year it will be bye bye Teddy and I won't shed a tear.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You mean that Manuel guy isn't a big signing? Alright, I guess not.

I was hoping Thompson would make a big move by now, too. With $35 million of cap room, they were in as good a position as anyone to pick up a free agent stud. I will try to be patient, though. I hope Thompson has a master plan that just hasn't become clear yet.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
You mean that Manuel guy isn't a big signing? Alright, I guess not.

I was hoping Thompson would make a big move by now, too. With $35 million of cap room, they were in as good a position as anyone to pick up a free agent stud. I will try to be patient, though. I hope Thompson has a master plan that just hasn't become clear yet.

Like I said...we didn't sign guys, OK...what got to me was the fact that we're not really mentioned as contenders for a lot of key free agents aside from Ryan Pickett

I know patience is key, and I got pissed basically right off the bat (a characteristic that I have for every facet of life), but this is a business, you snooze you lose, and there are a lot of holes on this team at multiple positions, that we are not finding answers for. What if, maybe, the free agents dont like the prospects of coming to Green Bay, only thing I can think of. I liked what Thompson was doing, but now I'm a little frustrated, I'd like to see how the entire offseason goes before judging...

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The reality, if the past is any indication, is that the first phase of free agency is typically highlighted by the biggest of the big names who are typically overpaid as a result of the feeding frenzy of hungry/desperate teams. Look for TT to sign the second tier guys who, in my opinion, are more valuable in building a team for the long-term.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
The reality, if the past is any indication, is that the first phase of free agency is typically highlighted by the biggest of the big names who are typically overpaid as a result of the feeding frenzy of hungry/desperate teams. Look for TT to sign the second tier guys who, in my opinion, are more valuable in building a team for the long-term.

I agree that the first few guys are USUALLY overpaid and then teams start running out of money. That is usually when you can get a bargain. I'm not so sure that is the case this season. Because of the new CBA there is all kinds of money out there. I hope it works out. This free agency period is a big opportunity for the Packers.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that is forgotten/overlooked, all these people hollering about TT's inactivity during the just opened free agency period, is the fact that we signed a big name FA that all of us appear to have wanted in Green and Gold....Aaron Kampman.

Yes, he was one of our own free agents, but does that diminish his signing just because he did not come from outside the organization?? Big signing as far as I am concerned. And the more I read about Manuel, the more I like the signing. I mean, really......5 years at $10 million is a bargain these days for an up and coming starting safety.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is he Reggie White? Nope. Is he someone that just about every team in the league would want if there was a need at that position? Yep!

Kampman is the rare bird we have been looking for....the DE that has enough juice to get to the QB, and stout enough to defend the run. Not too many like him out there, the league is littered with situational players at DE, and he defends both the run and pass very well.

Why, yes, he is a big sign.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we even discussing TT's future as a Packer GM now? He has done almost nothing and have 4 years left on his contract, I doubt he will be out before his contract is done, Millen is still in detroit.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
TT has a five year deal. MM has a three year deal.
:evil: Tell me it ain't so! We're stuck with this monkey? Make that another 30 years before GB can recover.
Prediction for 2006:
1) Minnesota
2) Chicago
3) Detroit
4) Packers

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman, had he reached FA, would have been one of the most sought after players this year. He's become steadily better in each year he's been in the league. Getting 6.5 sacks from a guy who plays the run as well as AK is pretty damn good. Julius Peppers he ain't but he's a solid player who would start on 80% of the teams in the NFL.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No.1 - hanging our hats on what the four-letter network 'might' mention as a Packer-possible... is just wrong. The Channel hasn't had much liking for Green Bay ever since Reggie White stepped away.

No.2 - I guess you could point to the fact that TT played for "Houston" as an anti-bonanza of sorts.... although, I wouldn't put my paycheck on it.

Ted's learned his craft under Ron Wolf; he skinned his shins at Lambeau first. THAT means somethin' - like it or not, it does! Personally, I think Ted Thompson has it in him to "be a Packer Person"; his intention... is to do exactly that. One very clear reason -- he has to! Or else there won't be much use for him in the NFL as a GM anywhere, period. You don't see anyone askin Sherman to be "their" GM, .....anywhere... do ya?

I'm gonna give any GM, for the Packers... enough rope... (you know the rest).

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kampman is a leader of the defense whether you want to admit it or not--he's not the biggest guy, strongest guy, or fastest guy, but I've never seen him give up on a play, he plays his *** off to get to the man carrying the ball--and on a defense that will have fresh/young faces this year, he's a great person to set an example

krd005

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok......Kampman plays ******* a below average defense and this makes him a top FA. Just because he gives 100% doesn't make him great.

There are at least 10 DE's better then him. Hey, I like the guy. I think it's great to see a white guy at that postion have a little success, but to say he's all that and a bag of chips is silly.

I'm affraid we're already starting to accept being average or below. Not what I'm used to.
I'm used to making the playoffs!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably right that there are 10 DEs better than he is, of course none of them will ever reach FA. It's Kampman types that do and that's why he would have been so heavily sought after. This doesn't change the fact that he'd be a solid starter on most teams in the NFL.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
krd005 said:
Ok......Kampman plays ******* a below average defense and this makes him a top FA. Just because he gives 100% doesn't make him great.

There are at least 10 DE's better then him. Hey, I like the guy. I think it's great to see a white guy at that postion have a little success, but to say he's all that and a bag of chips is silly.

I'm affraid we're already starting to accept being average or below. Not what I'm used to.
I'm used to making the playoffs!

It wasn't our defense that lost us the season, it was our offense.

I don't know what team you thought you were watching last year, but GB went from a twenty-something rated defense to #7 overall. Kampman was one of the main leaders that got us there. BTW, I don't know what you feel skin colour has to do with ability, but there are racist arguements for everything I suppose. Not very intelligent ones, mind you.

If you feel that GB has a "below average" defense at #7 overall, you really don't know much about football to begin with.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd take 11 Kampmans on D all day long. Plays every down, had 105 tackles, total team player and intelligent. A rarity indeed. May not have as many sacks as other DE's but pressures the QB on every play. Some of you can have the flashy Euro sportscar which costs millions, turns heads, is fickle, tempermental and requires constant maintenance. Give me an old stock muscle car with a Supercharged 454 under the hood that you can work on yourself and doesn't require being smogged.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, if you go back into the Packer files, you will find the ol' Tightwad signed a FIVE YEAR deal.

This is at the crux of what is happening. He believes(perhaps with some facts) that the team can't win the Super Bowl, so he's piece by piece trying to change the roster in the hopes of doing so. He thinks he has a fair amount of time to rebuild the team into a winner.

I think he's trying to build a dynasty with spare parts. It's a little like trying to win a Nascar race after visiting the used parts store.

At first I was ticked he was trying to turnover Mike Sherman's players. Then I bought into the total remake idea. Now he's resigning Mike Sherman's players. I'm confused about what his intent is. I'm beginning to believe the guy is in over his head.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, because resigning a hack like Kampman is a bad move?

TT is not trying to replace Sherman's players, he is trying to replace the Packers' dead wood...some of whom were Sherman's guys.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whatever TT's plan is, he doesn't seem in any hurry to get it done. Almost twice as much cap room as any other team in the NFL, only one FA signed and he isn't even in Green Bay meeting with any available FAs, he's off with MM looking at draft prospects.

I agree that he has also signed two other pretty important FAs, Kampman and Green, but neither of those moves is going to improve the team. They only maintain the status quo at those positions.

To me, it seems like we have a lot of positions we need upgrading in. Hard to do with only 5 draft picks and if you don't sign any quality FAs.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Lare said:
Whatever TT's plan is, he doesn't seem in any hurry to get it done. Almost twice as much cap room as any other team in the NFL, only one FA signed and he isn't even in Green Bay meeting with any available FAs, he's off with MM looking at draft prospects.

I agree that he has also signed two other pretty important FAs, Kampman and Green, but neither of those moves is going to improve the team. They only maintain the status quo at those positions.

To me, it seems like we have a lot of positions we need upgrading in. Hard to do with only 5 draft picks and if you don't sign any quality FAs.

so ur saying green and kampman don't help make the packers better?

Members online

Latest posts