TEDDY the TERMITE

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy the Termite I have a request:

Please start filling in all the holes you are making in this team. Can we start with the guards that you let go then maybe move on to another Head Coach ( even though you have no Idea who you are looking for ). Please follow all that up with a QB half as good as the guy you are working on pushing out the door.

Should not take too long should it ?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

Please start filling in all the holes you are making in this team.

Ted had better show the willingness to go out and get the necessary parts and pieces right away.
Don't sit on your wallet Ted!

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a big splash in free agency. It ain't happening folks. TT doesn't like free agency preferring to build through the draft (and I think this is the right approach). TT will sign a few guys (I hope he goes after Hutchinson from Seattle who's a UFA this offseason) but don't expect him to be handing out the huge bonuses it would take to get the bigger name free agents into Green Bay.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do not build teams with FAs. You bring them in as the final pieces to a puzzle to push a good team to greatness. The one area that might be addressed via FA is the guard spot, but beyond that, the draft will be where this team is built.

smlutz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my philosophy:

Take running backs, quarterbacks, defensive backs linebackers, wideouts and tight ends through the draft. Then build your lines via free agency. Of course you can take a lineman at some point in the draft, but never 1st-2nd round. Just my opinion though.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that some of our best linemen have been found on the second day of the draft (Tausher, Rivera) shows me that you don't need to sign free agents to builid one. Other than LT, there isn't a position on the OL where you can't find a guy in rounds 3-7. I'd like to see us bring in some guards through FA, but not if they want Mike Wahle type signing bonuses. I just don't think it's worth it to spend that kind of $ on a guard.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT has a lot to prove as GM and this offseason is critical for this team. He made a ton of mistakes last year and has a lot of work ahead.

On the plus side, he has a lot of money to work with for 2006. On the minus side, he must sign some key FAs from GB's roster and from around the league. Three key FAs to sign: Longwell, Kampman, proven OG.

Remember that Harlan said he hired TT for the position because he believed TT would work well with Sherman, not because TT was the best candidate for the job.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mistakes? All the big name/money players who left wanted to leave. Wahle had been hinting at it for two seasons. Sharper left for slightly more money to what the Packers were offering. Who was gonna match the ridiculous dollars thrown at Rivera? As far as replacing the guards, best to know what you have before spending willy-nilly on replacements. Having a year, TT now knows what he has and what he needs.

Plus, based on early results, we had one of our better drafts in some years.

Geez, what a failure that TT is!

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Mistakes? All the big name/money players who left wanted to leave. Wahle had been hinting at it for two seasons. Sharper left for slightly more money to what the Packers were offering. Who was gonna match the ridiculous dollars thrown at Rivera? As far as replacing the guards, best to know what you have before spending willy-nilly on replacements. Having a year, TT now knows what he has and what he needs.

Wahle clearly stated that he wanted to stay in GB, but wouldn't stay for less money. TT never even started negotiations with Wahle's agent. Rivera was willing to stay for a good contract, but TT never started negotiations with Rivera's agent. After the inaction, both players went into FA bidding.

Then TT saved cap space by cutting Sharper, which gave him enough cap space to pay Hunt's bonus. Cutting Hunt before the season saved no money as he was injured at the time and therefore received all of his salary for 2005.

With all of this cap savings, TT signed Klemm and O'Dwyer to replace Wahle and Rivera. The results are obvious.

During the season, we've had plenty of cap space to resign FAs or bring in experienced players, neither of which he did leading to us probably wasting $1.9 million in cap space. Remember he signed Taco Wallace to replace Walker.

TT did have a good draft. His best draft pick was Collins, who reported was drafted because Sherman really liked him.

sixone220

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
digsthepack said:

Wahle clearly stated that he wanted to stay in GB, but wouldn't stay for less money. TT never even started negotiations with Wahle's agent. Rivera was willing to stay for a good contract, but TT never started negotiations with Rivera's agent. After the inaction, both players went into FA bidding.

Then TT saved cap space by cutting Sharper, which gave him enough cap space to pay Hunt's bonus. Cutting Hunt before the season saved no money as he was injured at the time and therefore received all of his salary for 2005.

With all of this cap savings, TT signed Klemm and O'Dwyer to replace Wahle and Rivera. The results are obvious.

During the season, we've had plenty of cap space to resign FAs or bring in experienced players, neither of which he did leading to us probably wasting $1.9 million in cap space. Remember he signed Taco Wallace to replace Walker.

TT did have a good draft. His best draft pick was Collins, who reported was drafted because Sherman really liked him.

Quite a resume thus far. :roll:

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby...I didn't look into this, but I heard that the signing of Gardner tied up the last of the free $$$ for 2005, so maybe TT did use all of it.

His first year doesn't look so good, and IMO, the main reason for the 4-12 was TT's underestimation of the value of guards.

However, with that said, I'm still willing to give him time...my guess is that he was willing to see if he could squeak through the next 2 years in order to rebuild from the ground up...imediately paying a lot of money to Wahle and Rivera puts the Packers in a longer term bind since their contracts likely would have to be weighted towards 2-3 years from now when Rivera may be past his prime anyway. Sharper appeared to be in a similar situation.

No doubt that TT's moves were a major reason for the Packer's demise...but if you look at the rationale for the moves, and provided that he's able to build a stable long-term solution, then 2005 will be forgotten and forgiven.

Reaction score
TT has done both good and bad. He had a decent draft, more decent than in years past. He had a tight cap situation, and did what he could. Look, you just can't sign players like Whale and Rivera for about 3 million. That is about what we had left after the injuries forced us to sign players, and cap hits were counted.

The BAD: He did $hit to replace the talent that left. We should have done better. At least get some proven players, not some no name WR, Punter, etc. The fact is he is a rookie GM, and I am willing to ride out some mistakes that he makes.

Overall, he has done what you could of expected of him. We all knew this was a team on the decline, the talent level was obviously not the greatest it has been. TT saw that and made some hard decisions. We have Coston, White and Whitt for O-Line in the future. We have Manning and Poppinga for LB (and Kurt Campblle if he can recover and make the team), we have Murphy for WR (he saw our loss to Vikes in playoffs was because we had no WR's left, injuries plagued us at that position last year, and this year too. He did what he had to, increased out talent in WR even more). He got a future QB that many had been calling for, thus building stability for the future. He got Montgomery for the D-Line, and Montgomery showed some serious stuff when he got the chance to play. He also got Collins and Underwood, who have both been outstanding by all means. He did replenish the talent supply in one draft, but this year is his true test.

I will not judge him on the firing of MS, rather what he does afterwords. As someone else said in a different thread, TT seems like the person who has a plan for what needs to be done and how this offseason, and I hope it works out.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

Please start filling in all the holes you are making in this team. Can we start with the guards that you let go then maybe move on to another Head Coach ( even though you have no Idea who you are looking for ). Please follow all that up with a QB half as good as the guy you are working on pushing out the door.

He didn't let them go. When you do not have the money to match the offers they received from other teams its out of your hands. He did not GM the Packers into salary cap crap, he was BROUGHT into it.

Pushing out the door? Do you follow the Packers? Do you read what those close to Brett say about Brett's relationship with Rossley and Sherman?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZERO2COOL...please fill me/us in on the status of Favre's relationship with MS/TR. I have stated the last several years that Favre has lost faith in the scheme/playcalling of the two-headed beast known as Sherossley.

I have seen too many times a look of total frustration from Favre when he receives the plays from the sideline....kind of a "what the f@ck" look and accompanying body language that said more than words could.

Bottom line is I think Favre had begun to tune out this staff because he no longer respected their football acumen, if in fact he ever did. Dear Lord, if his declining play is any indication, they lost Favre or he tuned them out several years ago.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
ZERO2COOL...please fill me/us in on the status of Favre's relationship with MS/TR. I have stated the last several years that Favre has lost faith in the scheme/playcalling of the two-headed beast known as Sherossley.

I have seen too many times a look of total frustration from Favre when he receives the plays from the sideline....kind of a "what the f@ck" look and accompanying body language that said more than words could.

Bottom line is I think Favre had begun to tune out this staff because he no longer respected their football acumen, if in fact he ever did. Dear Lord, if his declining play is any indication, they lost Favre or he tuned them out several years ago.

You nailed it bud, I don't need to fill ya in. Brett and Chris Havel speak often, remember Havel helped write his book. I'm not saying Chris knows EVERYTHIN about Brett, but I'd try to read what he says about Brett with that in mind.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
He didn't let them go. When you do not have the money to match the offers they received from other teams its out of your hands. He did not GM the Packers into salary cap crap, he was BROUGHT into it.

BS. Sherman's first year as GM he had about $20 million over the cap along with Sharper and Longwell as FAs. He got under the cap and signed both high priced FAs. TT could have worked things to keep at least one of our starting OG's. Instead TT never even negotiated with either of the players' agents.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool,
I don't know why everyone is hammering TT about what happened with Wahle and Rivera but I agree with you that it was water over the dam by the time TT got there. What was he going to offer them? Free brats? Cause we sure didn't have any cash to offer. This goes back to Sherman the GM putting his head in the sand in years previous to last year and not addressing long term contracts with either guy. He gives KGB the world, long term, and doesn't even try to work out something with those guys before they hit free agency. What's up with that?. As bad as some feel he was as HC he was that much worse as GM so don't blame TT for the position we were in. TT inherited a team with no money (very little) under the cap and guys shopping free agency that should have been signed THE YEAR BEFORE to long term contracts. TT may turn out to suck but at least start him out where he belongs and put the blame for the people we lost where it's due.

PACKATTACK4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think TT sat pat this year to evaluate the talent that was on this team. He basically did nothing on the defensive side and look how much better they were. I think his plan was to let's see how these guys perform under a better defensive coach and scheme and then he will fill in where needed. The offensive side was to be the strong point and under the direction of Sherman, it was not that way. Now that TT has plenty of room to sign some free agents I think he will. He got rid of a stale and predictable offense. Look for 2006 to be exciting. I would start by signing Hutchinson away from Seattle. He knows the west coast offense and is a very athletic guard.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
No doubt that TT's moves were a major reason for the Packer's demise...but if you look at the rationale for the moves, and provided that he's able to build a stable long-term solution, then 2005 will be forgotten and forgiven.

"Not by the Players who thought they were playing to win"

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:

he filled Hunts hole with cullen jenkins. that sure was the best move possible.

he filled joey thomas hole with mike hawkins, a rookie who has a tremendous upside. seems like a smart move.

he brought in some veteran LBs..seemed pretty good

Sharper went to the Vikings...what did we do...oh...we got NIck Collins...

He is fixing shermans mess nicely. This teddy the termite **** is ****ing retarded, and so is every person who says it.

OP
OP
W

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry trom, as always I will respect your opinion but have to disagree. I believed in TT for a year but now realize that Ted is in full blown rebuilding mode ( without consideration for the wealth of knowledge he has around him ). It is my opinion after this year and watching his "pathetic press conference" twice, that his ability to have a positive effect on this team is severely hindered by his need for "complete controll".

And call me a retard because "Teddy the Termite" stands until I see something that will make me change my mind because if he pushes Brett out the door too it will have become pretty obvious this was not just a Sherman thing but a complete changing of anything old.

Sorry trom, that's just what I see.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya know, it doesnt matter. if brett retires(because he wants to) you will just say he was pushed out by TT, or the sherman firing..so..whatever...and yes that is retarded.

and rebuilding? yes. He is rebuilding cuz the house that sherman built ****ing collapsed.

A lot of you think he has done horrible things(somehow...) but you wont focus on the good things, like cutting Hunt. How much time did we all spend bashing Hunt...and this man CUT him....he got rid of the cancer. He has at least 1 more year of cutting shermans mistakes. YOu all expect a complete turnaround overnight, and well...thats more retarded than the termite nickname.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i know, i wanted an unreadable rant there, but now its vulgar and ugly. My bad. I could edit it...but id rather not oppress my free speech.

Members online

Latest posts