Ted Thompsons five worst moves as GM

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an original member of several "Fire Ted Thompson" websites, I can think of a couple more.
1)The drafting of Nick Perry instead of Harrison Smith. The Packers needed a safety, badly, but Thompson opted for yet another 'tweener', more of DE than linebacker. Perry did squat until last year when his contract was up. Smith has been to the Pro Bowl and anchors the Vikinks D-backfield.

2)Mason Foster. As Bob McGinn pointed out last season(I had mentioned this months earlier), "The Ghost" decided to (yet again) stock the linebacker reserves with Mo, Curly and Larry rookies from unheralded University of Nowhere. Foster was a solid free agent linebacker, certainly not a star. But he would clearly have been a better linebacker in crunch time than rookie Jon Ryan. This move is one of the clearest examples of how "draft and develop" eventually evolves into "draft and decline". "The Ghost" is always intent on signing cheap, young players. They MUST produce like a veteran or they will be beaten by a veteran on the other team.Ron Wolf(a great GM) brought in enough veteran help to back up the starters. Not "TheGhost". He loves kids who are learning the game.

3)Sitting on bundles of salary cap money while the team struggles. Even after the draft, etc. they will have more than $12 million left. Of course, the retort will come,"but that's used to sign veterans". That's true, and more than half of the offensive line is up next year, BUT, consider this: other than Sitton, is this line Super Bowl quality? So resigning veterans might very well STILL keep your personnel behind others.

There are others. I want all of you who think the Packers are one of the league's elite teams and headed to the Super Bowl to consider losing to Arizona(twice), Carolina, and eventual champion Denver(badly) and then with a straight face try to tell me this team is going to the Super Bowl. John Elway had no qualms about free agents, and look where Denver is today.

D

Deleted member 6794

As an original member of several "Fire Ted Thompson" websites, I can think of a couple more.
1)The drafting of Nick Perry instead of Harrison Smith. The Packers needed a safety, badly, but Thompson opted for yet another 'tweener', more of DE than linebacker. Perry did squat until last year when his contract was up. Smith has been to the Pro Bowl and anchors the Vikinks D-backfield.

2)Mason Foster. As Bob McGinn pointed out last season(I had mentioned this months earlier), "The Ghost" decided to (yet again) stock the linebacker reserves with Mo, Curly and Larry rookies from unheralded University of Nowhere. Foster was a solid free agent linebacker, certainly not a star. But he would clearly have been a better linebacker in crunch time than rookie Jon Ryan. This move is one of the clearest examples of how "draft and develop" eventually evolves into "draft and decline". "The Ghost" is always intent on signing cheap, young players. They MUST produce like a veteran or they will be beaten by a veteran on the other team.Ron Wolf(a great GM) brought in enough veteran help to back up the starters. Not "TheGhost". He loves kids who are learning the game.

3)Sitting on bundles of salary cap money while the team struggles. Even after the draft, etc. they will have more than $12 million left. Of course, the retort will come,"but that's used to sign veterans". That's true, and more than half of the offensive line is up next year, BUT, consider this: other than Sitton, is this line Super Bowl quality? So resigning veterans might very well STILL keep your personnel behind others.

There are others. I want all of you who think the Packers are one of the league's elite teams and headed to the Super Bowl to consider losing to Arizona(twice), Carolina, and eventual champion Denver(badly) and then with a straight face try to tell me this team is going to the Super Bowl. John Elway had no qualms about free agents, and look where Denver is today.

I agree that drafting Perry was a mistake as well as not addressing the inside linebacker position for several years running.

Mason Foster played at an average level during last season at best and wouldn't have been the much needed upgrade as he struggled especially in coverage.

Thompson and Ball do a marvelous job of managing the cap although they sometimes spend money on the wrong players.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
:rolleyes:Your points are really enhanced by calling Thompson names. Well done! And could you expound more about how many more titles Wolf (a great GM) won than Thompson? :rolleyes:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
This move is one of the clearest examples of how "draft and develop" eventually evolves into "draft and decline".
Just not seeing the second part. Elite Eight in 2011 & 2012. Lost a trip to the NFCCG in 2012 on the road. 2013 with an injured QB lost in the playoffs on a late FG. . Final Four in 2014. Lost a trip to the SB in OT on the road. Elite Eight in 2015. Lost a trip to the NFCCG in OT on the road. Haven't seen much of a decline. Can't win it if you're not in it.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts