Ted Thompsons five worst moves as GM

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Releasing Jon Ryan: ABSOLUTELY. Dumb, dumb move. He's a probowler now, with the Seahawks...
2) Not making a play for Randy Moss: NO WAY. You cannot stabilish a correlation with lack of WRs and the NFCC loss. We were the #2 O in that year, and as of right now, we have a plethora of quality receivers in our team. Wasn't a mistake. Plus, Randy Moss would've meant no Greg Jennings or Donald Driver (beacause of salary).
3) Cutting Anthony Smith: NO. Felt like it at the time, but the fact that he couldn't contribute in any other team (St. Louis and Jacksonville) proves that it wasn't a bad move.
4) Selecting Justin Harrell: YES. He's a bust. If we win the SB this year and he's a major contributor, all is forgiven though.
5) Neglecting the offensive line: YES and NO. As of last year, absolutely. But we seem to have all the pieces for having a dominant OL in the near future (Bulaga, Lang, Sitton, among others)

My take on the article. I think sticking with Bob Sanders and some of the staff were bigger mistakes, and last year, not getting a veteran CB after Harris went down was a HUGE mistake also.

But, hey, I'm not one to complain. Please point a perfect GM out there, that doesn't have at least 5 mistakes...

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think TT has done more good than harm with this team. We've got plenty of free agent and pro-bowl caliber talent on this team, and we'll continue to have them for years to come. Nothing wrong with being very good for long periods of time. The rings are coming folks. The rings are coming.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I think TT has done more good than harm with this team. We've got plenty of free agent and pro-bowl caliber talent on this team, and we'll continue to have them for years to come. Nothing wrong with being very good for long periods of time. The rings are coming folks. The rings are coming.

Exactly. Every GM - even the great ones - have their share of miscues. Think Jamal Reynolds with Ron Wolf. Thompson is no exception. What he has done is built one of the youngest, deepest, and most talented rosters in the NFL. I'll take TT, even with his personality any day, over pretty much any other GM in the NFL.

His best decisions:
1. Selecting Aaron Rodgers in 2005 and grooming him to be great. We now have our franchise QB for the next 10 years, barring injury.
2. Trading Favre after he retired and then unretired. The organization had moved on and it would have been wrong to bring him back as the starting QB. My only beef is he could have probably gotten a #1 draft choice from the Vikings (but that would have been a PR disaster)
3. Signing Charles Woodson to a free agent contract. And we have a leader with a DPOY honor.
4. Hiring Dom Capers as DC. Very gutsy to move to the 3-4 after building the roster with 4-3 people - especially when one of the best players on the defense - Aaron Kampman - didn't fit.
5T. Moving up to select Clay Matthews. Very unlike TT, he trades 3 picks to move up to grab him. And we now have a great defensive playmaker.
5T. Selecting Jermichael Finley in the 2008 draft. Most experts thought he was too immature to play in the NFL. And they were right for one year. Now, we have one of the best in the NFL. Personally, I would take him over any TE, except Vernon Davis.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd replace Jon Ryan with Special Teams since it encompasses the whole area that we've been struggling in for the past couple of years. I actually agree with the cutting Anthony Smith part, getting rid of a potential starting S was a big mistake. Not to mention TT put a claim for him off waivers which showed that he regretted the earlier move. The fact that he didn't contribute in either St. Louis or Jacksonville just showed that he didn't quite fit their systems. Both run a press cover 4-3 defense, whereas Smith has been playing in a zone 3-4 his entire career.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TT is no perfect GM. He's pretty much a jeckyl'n hyde type of guy, for every good move he makes there is another questionable move that accompanies it. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If pros outweight the cons you can still make a run for the SB title, a position that we are now in.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord, TT is not the worst GM in the league. He may not be the most charasmatic guy around but that shouldn't be a requirement for the job. EVERY GM screws up. Wolf had a lot of lousy high draft picks. Wolf was fortunate to be our GM when FA wasn't so expensive and the market wasn't as limited as it is now.

I don't have a problem with TT not signing Moss. We don't know if TT made a serious offer for Moss and then Davis found a more attractive suitor with NE. Moss hasn't help NE get that ring yet either.

I do agree with the punting situation. I hope we can fix it this coming season.

I think the D line is going to be strength this year with Raji, Neal and Wilson in the rotation. There is even the chance that Harrell might be there. If not, put him on IR one more season. We have to pay him anyway so cutting him isn't an option. The sad thing about JH is the malady he suffers from now is something that happened AFTER we drafted him. Back issues can be something that will bother him for the rest of his life.

Anthony Smith?? Really?? He couldn't stick with the Rams, of all teams, and is now with Jax. Anthony Smith - Jacksonville Jaguars - NFL - Yahoo! Sports He doesn't have eyepopping career stats, to say the least.

I think with the signings of Clifton and Tauscher and the drafting of Bulaga and Lang TT has addressed the O line. Sitton isn't exactly chopped liver either.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good lord, TT is not the worst GM in the league. He may not be the most charasmatic guy around but that shouldn't be a requirement for the job. EVERY GM screws up. Wolf had a lot of lousy high draft picks. Wolf was fortunate to be our GM when FA wasn't so expensive and the market wasn't as limited as it is now.

I don't have a problem with TT not signing Moss. We don't know if TT made a serious offer for Moss and then Davis found a more attractive suitor with NE. Moss hasn't help NE get that ring yet either.

I do agree with the punting situation. I hope we can fix it this coming season.

I think the D line is going to be strength this year with Raji, Neal and Wilson in the rotation. There is even the chance that Harrell might be there. If not, put him on IR one more season. We have to pay him anyway so cutting him isn't an option. The sad thing about JH is the malady he suffers from now is something that happened AFTER we drafted him. Back issues can be something that will bother him for the rest of his life.

Anthony Smith?? Really?? He couldn't stick with the Rams, of all teams, and is now with Jax. Anthony Smith - Jacksonville Jaguars - NFL - Yahoo! Sports He doesn't have eyepopping career stats, to say the least.

I think with the signings of Clifton and Tauscher and the drafting of Bulaga and Lang TT has addressed the O line. Sitton isn't exactly chopped liver either.

I've heard rumors but not sure if they're true. That Davis really wanted a Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss trade with some draft picks involved to even out the deal. However Thompson wouldn't give up his future QB leading to the death of trade talks. Eventually Davis had to lower his asking price as noone else but NE stepped up to make an offer, which is why Randy came so cheap.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've heard rumors but not sure if they're true. That Davis really wanted a Aaron Rodgers for Randy Moss trade with some draft picks involved to even out the deal. However Thompson wouldn't give up his future QB leading to the death of trade talks. Eventually Davis had to lower his asking price as noone else but NE stepped up to make an offer, which is why Randy came so cheap.

I think one of the most popular threads on here was about someone hearing that the packers were trading Rodgers and something else for moss. At the time everyone on forum seemed to love the idea.

21dmvp21

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im suprised not to see marquand manuel on here, didnt TT throw alot of money his way for nothing lol. but every GM has bad moves. when we win the super bowl this year :happy0005:people will forget about john ryan and that guy we drafted in the first round that ive never seen wear his uniform

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im suprised not to see marquand manuel on here, didnt TT throw alot of money his way for nothing lol. but every GM has bad moves. when we win the super bowl this year :happy0005:people will forget about john ryan and that guy we drafted in the first round that ive never seen wear his uniform
I like that confidence, sir (or ma'am)!

vegasdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are all perfect GMs in hindsight. But, how about a review of TTs most criticized moves? At the time, the following, I feel, is a list of the most controversial moves, at the time.

1. Trading of Favre: BF went on to have an ok season followed by a great season. BFs replacement set records for a player starting his first 2 years. TT was right

2. Drafting of Aaron Rodgers: BF was talking retirement. Many fans wanted weapons not a replacement. We now have one of the top young talents at QB in the NFL. Many teams go generations without even a very good QB. TT was right

3. Drafting of Harrell: The entire story has yet to be written, but the first 3 chapters stink. Even if he comes around, we still got three season of not much. Fans were right

4. Drafting on Nick Collins. Many fans had not heard of him and were ticked off. I heard today on NFL radio, the commentators rated Nick #3 behind Polamalu and Reed. TT was right

5. Trading down instead of taking Chad Jackson instead ending up with Greg Jennings. We needed a WR badly and we passed up a great talent to go with a small school unknown. TT was way right on this one.

I did have OL woes as a top controversary, letting Wahle and Rivera go and not finding suitable replacements, but I removed because I don't think TT had many options at the time. With the salary cap and just the fact that I don't think you can just plug in a player, you have to have a cohesive group.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are all perfect GMs in hindsight. But, how about a review of TTs most criticized moves? At the time, the following, I feel, is a list of the most controversial moves, at the time.

1. Trading of Favre: BF went on to have an ok season followed by a great season. BFs replacement set records for a player starting his first 2 years. TT was right

2. Drafting of Aaron Rodgers: BF was talking retirement. Many fans wanted weapons not a replacement. We now have one of the top young talents at QB in the NFL. Many teams go generations without even a very good QB. TT was right

3. Drafting of Harrell: The entire story has yet to be written, but the first 3 chapters stink. Even if he comes around, we still got three season of not much. Fans were right

4. Drafting on Nick Collins. Many fans had not heard of him and were ticked off. I heard today on NFL radio, the commentators rated Nick #3 behind Polamalu and Reed. TT was right

5. Trading down instead of taking Chad Jackson instead ending up with Greg Jennings. We needed a WR badly and we passed up a great talent to go with a small school unknown. TT was way right on this one.

I did have OL woes as a top controversary, letting Wahle and Rivera go and not finding suitable replacements, but I removed because I don't think TT had many options at the time. With the salary cap and just the fact that I don't think you can just plug in a player, you have to have a cohesive group.
Letting Rivera go was the right choice. Wahle still had some left in the tank (as evidenced by his 2 year stint with the Panthers). One can argue about what kind of contract Wahle wanted, and the state of our Cap Space back then, though.

The real problem was replacing them with Wil Whittacker and Adriam Klemm. Yes, there weren't many guys available, he didn't have the money, and he had to pick his poison. Still, can't chalk it up as anything other than a mistake...

vegasdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Letting Rivera go was the right choice. Wahle still had some left in the tank (as evidenced by his 2 year stint with the Panthers). One can argue about what kind of contract Wahle wanted, and the state of our Cap Space back then, though.

The real problem was replacing them with Wil Whittacker and Adriam Klemm. Yes, there weren't many guys available, he didn't have the money, and he had to pick his poison. Still, can't chalk it up as anything other than a mistake...
I didn't say it wasn't a mistake. I just don't think it was a big one. Had TT signed some other guys we may have one a game or two, but I doubt it would have had too big of a dramatic effect. We had lots of holes at the time.

aaronqb

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thompson wasn't building a team to win a Super Bowl in 2006. If you look at the moves in the long term, it made sense to let Rivera and Wahle walk. Neither are in the league now. And we have an up and comer at guard in Sitton.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson took a team that was getting old and in serious cap trouble and turned it around to be contenders in a much shorter time than I would ever have imagined.
Moss complained that the Packers were asking the wrong questions about him, which probably means they wanted to know why he's a dog.
He's drafted NINE offensive linemen in his tenure and the coaches still can't decide where to play them.
The fact that he doesn't like to be in the spotlight is exactly why I like him.
His mistakes are far fewer than his successes in player decisions.
We're lucky to have him, imo.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, no GM in the league has had a perfect track record. TT has done a great job with this team, some people choose to see the bad over the good and go from there. Look at some of the players he has drafted and pulled in - it is very impressive. Sure Harrel was a bust but honestly I can live with that, he made it up with Finley, Rodgers, and CMIII.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What kind of dunderhead digs up a nearly 6 year old topic to say absolutely nothing of value? Maybe lock this thing?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What kind of dunderhead digs up a nearly 6 year old topic to say absolutely nothing of value? Maybe lock this thing?
This kind: In a discussion about Thompson not signing either Wahle nor Rivera in 2005, this poster said Wahle would have been the logical one to re-sign (not realizing Wahle was under contract but his cap hit would have been $11M for 2005 - in a year when the total cap was about $85M) and added:
It could have been done but it was TT's first season and the continual retirement rumors about Favre forced him to sign Rodgers and forget the rest of the roster. Just a major blunder by TT.
Drafting Rodgers turns out to be a major blunder in this poster's eyes. Thompson should have overpaid a very good OG instead. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let this be a lesson to us all kids, never put in print something that can be dragged up 6 years later, to prove you know even less now then you did 6 years ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts