Ted Thompson's coaching moves

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you look at Ted Thompson's coaching moves in his first 2 seasons as Packers GM, you have to wonder if this guy is incompetent or just a guy who likes to experiment. One thing is for sure, urgency of winning a championship is not in his repertoire.

If Thompson decided that he wanted to replace departing OC Jeff Jagodzinski with someone within the organization Joe Philbin was someone who deserved a shot. Whether Philbin with no OC experience in the NFL will succeed is to be seen. With Philbin, Thompson is rolling the dice in 2007.

During the offseason before the 2006 season Thompson replaced Mike Sherman with Mike McCarthy as HC and upgraded Bob Sanders to DC. Both McCarthy and Sanders had no experience in the NFL as HC and DC respectively. Their success rating during the 2006 season depends upon how big your "Green and Gold" glasses are.

A GM giving opportunity to inexperienced coaches is one way to go about things but getting the right coaches to get the job done is another.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GM doesn't hire coaches. He hires the Head Coach and then that respective Head Coach (in this case Mike McCarthy) puts together his own coaching staff.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The GM doesn't hire coaches. He hires the Head Coach and then that respective Head Coach (in this case Mike McCarthy) puts together his own coaching staff.

Understood but don't kid yourself, Ted Thompson is obviously part of the decision making behind these moves.

When TT hired McCarthy as HC, he actively sought out Jim Bates for DC.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Zero, do you also recall McCarthy saying Bates and HIM (McCarthy) got together and decided MUTUALLY it would be best for him to not continue?

You delete his post, edit mine? Why not delete it as well?
Last edited by all about da packers on Wed Jan 17, 2007 03:38 PM; edited 1 times in total

With that there, whats the point even replying with an answer? You'll jus edit it to your liking or delete the question after I give the answer.

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Zero, do you also recall McCarthy saying Bates and HIM (McCarthy) got together and decided MUTUALLY it would be best for him to not continue?

You delete his post, edit mine? Why not delete it as well?
Last edited by all about da packers on Wed Jan 17, 2007 03:38 PM; edited 1 times in total

With that there, whats the point even replying with an answer? You'll jus edit it to your liking or delete the question after I give the answer.

Zero, are you serious about not knowing that coaching selections made by the HC are subject to GM approval?

What if Mike McCarthy decided to bring in Arnold Schwarzenegger as OC, do you think that would get by?

In another twist HC Bill Belichick has final say on personnel decisions over the GM in New England.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero, are you serious about not knowing that coaching selections made by the HC are subject to GM approval?

What if Mike McCarthy decided to bring in Arnold Schwarzenegger as OC, do you think that would get by?

In another twist HC Bill Belichick has final say on personnel decisions over the GM in New England.

Where did I say the HC hiring his staff does NOT go through the GM for atleast approval or some type of input?
I've posted on more than one occasion that the staff is the responsability of the HC and the players are more so on the GM.

There have been articles that stated that from Ted and Mike.
Mike converses with Ted on his staff. Mike makes final decision on his staff.
Ted converses with Mike on players. Ted makes final decision on the players.

They work together as any GM and HC should.

edit, found a quote of mine (Posted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 03:12 PM) that supports my statements above.
longtimefan said:
Didnt Mm have full power on who he wanted to bring in? If so, that does not rest on Teds shoulders..

That's correct, sir. The coach hires his staff. He also fires his staff.

Ted is in charge of players.
Mike is in charge of coachs.

I'm sure they both confur with eachother on both issues and take input seriously.

Ted has also said he will not bring in a player that Mike does not want. Take that anyway you want I suppose.

You can read the entire thread HERE

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

What your saying is that Ted sits with Mike and decides who gets hired? I do not feel that is the case at all..

Now does Mike go to Ted and say this is the guy I am hiring and Ted says okay, then that is what I feel happenes..

This reminds me so much of the Holmgren/ Thompson debate in Seattle...Who ran the draft..Some say it was Mike..Some say Ted had the power but had to get Mikes okay..

OP
OP
C

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cliff said:

What your saying is that Ted sits with Mike and decides who gets hired? I do not feel that is the case at all..

Now does Mike go to Ted and say this is the guy I am hiring and Ted says okay, then that is what I feel happenes..

This reminds me so much of the Holmgren/ Thompson debate in Seattle...Who ran the draft..Some say it was Mike..Some say Ted had the power but had to get Mikes okay..

Mike McCarthy interviews coaches for his staff and makes a selection of his choice which is subject to the approval of the GM, in this case Ted Thompson.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Cliff said:

Mike McCarthy interviews coaches for his staff and makes a selection of his choice which is subject to the approval of the GM, in this case Ted Thompson.

I'm sure McCarthy goes to Thompson for input on guys he's worked with and guys he knows. Just like Thompson probably goes to McCarthy on players he likes and knows. When it comes down to it though McCarthy makes the call on his coaching staff. Ted Thompson can't "veto" a decision made by McCarthy for his staff. In the past the GM has fired an entire coaching staff along with the Head Coach and sometime and actually more often than you would think the new Coach brings back some positional coaches. There is no approval on a Head Coach hiring his staff. If I recall I believe Thompson said as much when he took questions for McCarthy's hire. That it would be his call.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
What a great debate! :)

Anyone find the article where Ted was asked about who Mike will hire for his staff and if Ted has to give the 'ok' or stamp of approval on the hire?

I vaguely remember it, but do not remember the source :(

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Might be a little off topic, but at Packers.com this is the order they have the coaches listed.

* Mike McCarthy, Head Coach
* Winston Moss, Assistant Head Coach/Defense
* Rock Gullickson, Strength & Conditioning Coordinator
* Joe Philbin, Offensive Coordinator
* Bob Sanders, Defensive Coordinator
* Mike Stock, Special Teams Coordinator
* Edgar Bennett, Running Backs
* James Campen, Offensive Line
* Tom Clements, Quarterbacks
* Jerry Fontenot, Assistant Offensive Line
* Carl Hairston, Defensive Ends
* Ty Knott, Offensive Quality Control
* Eric Lewis, Defensive Quality Control
* Ben McAdoo, Tight Ends
* Robert Nunn, Defensive Tackles
* Jimmy Robinson, Wide Receivers
* Kurt Schottenheimer - Secondary
* Shawn Slocum, Assistant Special Teams
* Lionel Washington, Defensive Nickel Package/Cornerbacks
* Mark Lovat, Assistant Strength & Conditioning
* Brandon Johnson, Strength & Conditioning Assistant

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think McCarthy would make a recommendation, but Thompson would have the right to refuse, since he is the one controlling the $$$$ being paid out.

The coach makes the official hire but the GM would have veto power.

Example:(this obviously would never happen) but McCarthy calls either Bates or Sherman to be on the staff. Think TT wouldn't have a veto?

If he has it for that scenerio, then he has veto power over all others, as well.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Ted Thompson can't "veto" a decision made by McCarthy for his staff.

Oh really, Ya wanna bet?

Bet what? :rollseyes:

How about you provide an article that backs up your point or an article stating a GM veto a staff hire by the Head Coach. I'm sure ESPN would have one in it's archives.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually re reading it a bit your first post pretty much implies Thompson goes out an interviews coaches to fill the staff. That is not the case. McCarthy interviews the coaches and chooses his own staff. Thompson doesn't choose it for him. So credit Thompson with the McCarthy hire but credit McCarthy with guys on the coaching staff.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this thread says a whole lot of nothing....

Wether or not Philbin will succeed remains to be seen? It remains to be seen wether or not Mike McCarthy himself will be successful. It remains to be seen wether or not Mike Sherman will be successful in Houston.

Do you know what Philbins responsibilities were before and what the OC's responsibilities in MM's system are right now? It's not that far of a stretch believe me. It was the right choice.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem with the original post that some others are having. The implication of the original post is that Thompson hires the assistant coaches, which is not the case, regardless of whether or not he has "veto power."

Another problem I have is the implication that first-time coaches or coordinators are bad or risky hires. Whatever experienced coaches who are available at any given time have mostly been fired, and often for good reason. I would like to see what coaches and offfensive coordinators are available who you would rather have than McCarthy and Philbin. If you have some reasonable choices in mind, then maybe we will have an actual debate on our hands.

But I still think this statement about "rolling the dice" is inaccurate regarding Philbin. Philbin was the most conservative choice for the job because he was already on the staff and therefore no major shakeups in offensive strategy are expected, as they would be with a former coordinator who was brought in from the outside.

Popcynical

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
But I still think this statement about "rolling the dice" is inaccurate regarding Philbin. Philbin was the most conservative choice for the job because he was already on the staff and therefore no major shakeups in offensive strategy are expected, as they would be with a former coordinator who was brought in from the outside.

I agree. Plus it would be a lot different if the OC was responsible for calling plays. If that were the case, I'd probably be concerned with the lack of experience here. But it's not, so I'm not.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:

I agree. Plus it would be a lot different if the OC was responsible for calling plays. If that were the case, I'd probably be concerned with the lack of experience here. But it's not, so I'm not.

I agree as well. Philbin was probably the safe choice. He knows what McCarthy wants to do and most of the players know what he wants to know. Either way the position is a figure head position. McCarthy is the guy who runs the offense. Hiring someone outside of the staff might've been a bigger risk.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with Pop & Porky. MM will be calling the plays so anyone he picks for OC is fine with me. MM has shown that he can adjust at least sometimes unlike MS. My only reservation there is that he still abandons the run too soon. But this year I expect better OL play and he won't be tempted to go pass as often.

Members online

Latest posts