• Hiring Mike McCarthy as Head Coach

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Drafting Aaron Rodgers in his first draft as GM in 2005

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Trading with NE (down) for WR G Jennings & gettin an xtra pick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signing Charles Woodson as a Free Agent in 2006

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Aggressively (shockingly) trading with NE again (up) into the 1st rd in 2009 to select Clay Matthews

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Signing John Kuhn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signing Tramon Williams as undrafted Free Agent gem

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Drafting Brian Brohm in round 2 in 2008

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Here, in order, are the GMs of other teams who “had” to take Rodgers because he fell into their laps:

Miami
Cleveland
Chicago
Tampa Bay
etc.
It's almost as though I wrote it myself Jack. There were more gutsy deals, BJ was even gutsy. But how can you argue that bringing in a HOF potential QB to follow in the footsteps of a HOF QB is not the best move?
Remember, TT had some busts too. But nobody can deny it took a vision of where he wanted this team to go. There were other QBs available since then, he took a position of FUTURE need because he was BPA.
Who's a better QB drafted since Rodgers? I mean, it's not like Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees type QBs are there every year. And the very fact that so many GMs passed on him, whether they needed a QB or not, just screams of TT's vision. I like alot of what TT has done, but I really think this would be a different franchise with a "Sanchize" or "MattyIce" instead of "Godgers".
If that's luck, then all those other teams are real unlucky, all they had to do was punch the Rodgers ticket. I bet GMs after GB were kicking themselves in the behind that even if he fell to them, they might have passed on him too. Only they know what their boards read. Remember how high Wolf was on BrInt after Atlanta got him? But he had the 'nads to go get him. Nobody ever called Wolf "lucky"
C'mon folks, no player has a bigger impact on this team day to day than Aaron Rodgers right?

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will say, to go against your arguement, "that it did take great vision to see something special in matthews when basically no one else did" can be applied to rodgers as well, however many teams (20 or so not going to count) can definitivly say they did not have rodgers graded very high or they odviously would have taken him just like 20 or so teams can say about matthews.

Also so if TT had traded up 5 or 10 spots to pick up rodgers (like Matthews) would that of made it a better move because he traded up to secure him like you're claiming he did with Matthews? To me waiting for him to fall in his lap and not make a move to trade up was better because it kept more picks in his hands. That being said TT probably def knew something about what certian teams thought of those players and that's why he did what he did in each case, which makes both moves great because he played the hand he was delt perfectly.

Again not saying you are wrong, because you do bring up some very good points, more of just playing devils advocate. To me Capers D is what makes Matthews and Woodson and basically every player we have on D so good with his crazy packages he brings. so he is more important imo.

In order it goes Rodgers, Capers, Matthews, Woodson. But all are so close it really doesn't make a difference.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK, all that aside: which guy being out of the starting lineup, injured, affected our performance more last year?

-The 1st team All-Pro Matthews (see last half of Washington loss, and the whole Miami loss)
-Rodgers one start missed (at New England. See Matt Flynn, who based on that game have some Packer fans thinking he's great)

Bottom line is this: Missing Matthews hurt our defense, factually, as much or more than missing Rodgers.
Sure that was just a 1.5 game stretch (all losses by the way, but the NE game we still played great).
It's very close.

Now both guys were drafted in about the same spot, mid 20's. So very close.

I give a lot more credit to the one where the GM had to trade way up to get the guy, as opposed to just having the guy fall to him.
I also give credit to the GM who took the guy who was rated about 45 by the average Draft magazine, expert, Kiper, etc. versus taking the one who my 2005 The Sporting News guide had rated number one.
Why? Look at the ESPN Draft reactions of both picks.
Taking Rodgers there as a no-brainer. Even Torry Holt predicted we'd be taking him a few picks prior. Favre was entering his 16th year already! It was classic Montana to Young.

Nobody, noone here, expected us to trade UP in 2009.
Even when we did, nobody thought it was for Clay Matthews.

Sheer brilliance by Ted Thompson there!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You can continue to post taking Rodgers was a no-brainer but that does not make it true. Unlike most of the other GMs in that draft, Thompson already had a great starting QB. To be consistent, you must think the GMs picking ahead of the Packers had no brains.

There is no more important position in the NFL than QB. Flynn played very well at New England but I don't have any confidence he could have made the 3rd down throw to Jennings that "saved" the Super Bowl or played at the incredible level Rodgers did at Atlanta. Rodgers is a special QB destined for greatness if he doesn't get injured. Putting Flynn in the same category - or close - based upon one game doesn't make any sense to me.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers was a no-brainer to TT (and like TJV said not other GM's) in that it was just necessary at that time given Favre's age and how TT always thinks long term.

IMO, trading up for Clay was high-risk, gutsy, and most importantly... paid out in the end! You can't tell me TT's heart wasn't racing when he made those calls to trade up.<--- TT's best move behind starting Rodgers over Favre.

Reaction score
OK, all that aside: which guy being out of the starting lineup, injured, affected our performance more last year?

-The 1st team All-Pro Matthews (see last half of Washington loss, and the whole Miami loss)
-Rodgers one start missed (at New England. See Matt Flynn, who based on that game have some Packer fans thinking he's great)

Bottom line is this: Missing Matthews hurt our defense, factually, as much or more than missing Rodgers.
Sure that was just a 1.5 game stretch (all losses by the way, but the NE game we still played great).
It's very close.

Now both guys were drafted in about the same spot, mid 20's. So very close.

To be honest, I think that we wouldn't win half our games without Rodgers. Without Matthews, we would probably still win 80% of our games.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A choice is missing. Holding firm dealing with the #4 Drama Queen and forcing the Packers into the Aaron Rodgers Era.

Members online

Latest posts