• Hiring Mike McCarthy as Head Coach

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Drafting Aaron Rodgers in his first draft as GM in 2005

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Trading with NE (down) for WR G Jennings & gettin an xtra pick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signing Charles Woodson as a Free Agent in 2006

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Aggressively (shockingly) trading with NE again (up) into the 1st rd in 2009 to select Clay Matthews

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Signing John Kuhn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signing Tramon Williams as undrafted Free Agent gem

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Drafting Brian Brohm in round 2 in 2008

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
Reaction score
It was a tough one between Brian Brohm and Rodgers but I ended up choosing Rodgers just because you just drafted a Hall of Fame player in the making.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
With 20/20 hindsight I list Thompson's best moves in this order:
1. Drafting Rodgers. I understand the rationale for saying so, but it wasn't a "gimmie" for all those GMs who foolishly passed on him. Also, it was the beginning of moving beyond Favre. Remember Thompson had been lobbied heavily by Favre to keep Wahle and Rivera right after he took the job and Favre didn't commit to playing until just before the draft. It took guts for Thompson to 'buck the legend' with the first pick in his first draft. He had to know that pick would **** off the legend and he did it anyway, for the long-term benefit of the Packers. In so doing he immediately displayed the stark contrast his tenure provides compared to the previous GM.

2. Hiring McCarthy as head coach. The reason this is second on my list is because 1) Finding a future HOF QB is such a huge accomplishment and 2) Remember who else Thompson interviewed for the job? Sean Payton. I heard an interview with Payton in which he said he desperately wanted the Green Bay job and thought he had a good shot at it after the interview. So I have this number two because I think Payton could have led the Packers to the title, too. However, an argument can be made that this was his best move because McCarthy had a huge role in preparing Rodgers to be the QB he is today. IMO the word "genius" is thrown around too much today, but in the narrow context of NFL football there's a credible argument McCarthy is an offensive football genius.

The combination of moves 1 and 2 resulted in the Packers replacing a HOF QB with a (IMO) a HOF QB.

3a. IMO trading up for Matthews was Thompson's boldest move. He traded what for him would have been the heart of his draft - picks 41, 73, and 83 - a second and two third rounders (and got a 5th rounder back) for one player. It signaled to me that Thompson thought the Packers had arrived - he could "gamble" because he had already restored the depth and talent of the roster.
3b. Acquiring Woodson. This is "b" only because there was only one other team in the bidding and that team wanted Woodson to play safety. Thompson, his personnel staff, and the coaching staff were smart enough to know Woodson could still excel at CB and that he wouldn't be a distraction in the locker room.

So far listed is the hiring of a great head coach and the acquisition of what I consider three future HOFers (if Rodgers and Matthews continue their current production over at least average-length careers). Woodson is already in IMO. The reason Rodgers gets listed first is for reasons already mentioned and because QB is far and away the most important position in the NFL.

4. Not listed but for me the next accomplishment is Thompson's general ability to evaluate talent. A point lost sometimes is when he took over the job, he did not bring in a single individual into the front office. As far as I know he didn't add a single scout. Consider how he's done vs. his predecessor in light of this. (Again, no disrespect to Sherman who never trained as a GM and should never have been given that job.) The first three Thompson draft picks were a brilliant foreshadowing of what was to come. Rodgers of course and then Nick Collins. Thompson had his staff "school" Collins at the chalkboard to be sure he could learn an NFL playbook (that was the knock on him). And Terrence Murphy was his third pick. I was very impressed with Murphy before his career-ending injury. IMO he was the first of great to very good WRs Thompson has acquired. And of course it's not only in the draft but after the draft as Thompson and his staff have struck gold with players like Tramon Williams and Shields.

When he arrived Thompson had a plan to build a team which could compete year after year while being fiscally responsible. In spite of some hate-filled vitriol directed at him by "Packers" fans, he has remained civil and disciplined to a fault, with a laser beam like focus.

Great topic FrankRizzo and I too liked the sense of humor displayed with the last choice - nobody's perfect.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting rid of that *****ser was precious, but I didn't want to put that in this poll because that was as much Mike McCarthy as it was Ted Thompson, plus I wanted it about adding a specific player, of which Ted has done a great job of.

No love for Greg Jennings?
Think about that one. New England traded UP with us, giving us an extra pick or two, in the 2nd round of the 2006 Draft, and they took highly touted WR Chad Jackson from Florida.

Later in the round, Ted took WR Greg Jennings from Western or Central Michigan.

Have you ever seen Chad Jackson catch a pass? Ever? Even from the golden boy Tom Brady? No you haven't.

Greg Jennings?

Ted Thompson has just r***d Belichick the genius, twice. We have Jennings and Matthews because of that overrated mastermind. And they don't have an OLB or a deep threat WR.
Really looking forward to a Packers Patriots draft trade this year. Though I think the Patriots will be extremely cautious to trade with us, even if they believe they've got a great deal.
However, an argument can be made that this was his best move because McCarthy had a huge role in preparing Rodgers to be the QB he is today. IMO the word "genius" is thrown around too much today, but in the narrow context of NFL football there's a credible argument McCarthy is an offensive football genius.
Offensive genius, I'm not sure. It's true, his offenses have performed admirably, but they never led the league, and he hasn't done anything innovative per se.
Now, QB guru, absolutely. When you think that Favre had his best statistical season under McCarthy, when you look at Rodgers' progress, Flynn's progress, and, looking back, at Gannon and Grbac, it's pretty clear that MM is a QB coaching genius, and probably the best in the league at it. McDaniels is another one, but he's a lousy, lousy HC, and a *****.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of that 2005 Draft of Rodgers (and later Nick Collins), did you know the Vikings had 2 picks before Rodgers was selected in that first round?
They came away with:

WR Troy Williamson
DE Erasmus James

They could have selected DeMarcus Ware & Rodgers.
I just love that !!!!!!!!!!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Offensive genius, I'm not sure. It's true, his offenses have performed admirably, but they never led the league, and he hasn't done anything innovative per se.
How about the "Bone" formation? (Inverted wishbone.) Others have used a full backfield formation but I don't remember seeing one using McCarthy's bone formation. The key is it's a balanced formation so the defense can't overload one side without the risk of being burned by a Rodgers' audible to the other side. In the playoff game vs. the Eagles, Starks averaged 7.6 yards on 8 carries in that formation and 4.1 yards on his other 15 carries. IMO that's as innovative as Sherman's U-71 formation. (Sherman had the benefit of a great run-blocking OL that McCarthy doesn't enjoy.)

McCarthy creates mismatches by going from a 5-WRs formation to the bone and nearly every combination in between. Think back on just the Packers playoff run and all the passes Packer receivers dropped - particularly the ones that hit 'em on the hands. Every team and every receiver drops some passes, but had they caught just one-half of the catchable passes and consider their offensive output. Is "genius" stretching it a bit? Maybe - I plead guilty to being a biased Packers fan - but don't think it's stretching it by much. IMO he's among the very best at creating mismatches in the passing game.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about the "Bone" formation? (Inverted wishbone.) Others have used a full backfield formation but I don't remember seeing one using McCarthy's bone formation. The key is it's a balanced formation so the defense can't overload one side without the risk of being burned by a Rodgers' audible to the other side. In the playoff game vs. the Eagles, Starks averaged 7.6 yards on 8 carries in that formation and 4.1 yards on his other 15 carries. IMO that's as innovative as Sherman's U-71 formation. (Sherman had the benefit of a great run-blocking OL that McCarthy doesn't enjoy.)

McCarthy creates mismatches by going from a 5-WRs formation to the bone and nearly every combination in between. Think back on just the Packers playoff run and all the passes Packer receivers dropped - particularly the ones that hit 'em on the hands. Every team and every receiver drops some passes, but had they caught just one-half of the catchable passes and consider their offensive output. Is "genius" stretching it a bit? Maybe - I plead guilty to being a biased Packers fan - but don't think it's stretching it by much. IMO he's among the very best at creating mismatches in the passing game.
Again, very true that he's probably the best in creating favorable matchups, but to call him an offensive "genius" is to elevate him in the same sentence as Bill Walsh, Don Coryell and Sam Wyche.

How many people were calling him genius when on 4th and 1 against the Lions with Matt Flynn he calls for a deep pass? Not many.

IMHO Mike Holmgren was a better playcaller than McCarthy, and I never called him an offensive genius.

I believe Dom Capers is a defensive genius, who has created his own style of 3-4 D, separating himself from the Bum Phillips' one-gap 3-4, and is the best I've seen in utilizing his personel to the maximum and in adjusting during gametime.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
Isn't it awesome that we have a thread to discuss which of many great moves TT has made is the best. I imagine the forums of other teams discussing all of the mistakes their GM has made. I can't imagine another team's forums that has the huge problem of trying to decide which of their GM's many great decisions was his best. Go Pack! Go Ted!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't it awesome that we have a thread to discuss which of many great moves TT has made is the best. I imagine the forums of other teams discussing all of the mistakes their GM has made. I can't imagine another team's forums that has the huge problem of trying to decide which of their GM's many great decisions was his best. Go Pack! Go Ted!
Yeah, but look back 2 years on topics in here and you'll see a very different scenario...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but look back 2 years on topics in here and you'll see a very different scenario...

That's a very good point. It takes time and patience to build an army/ dynasty. T.T. is kind of like Mother Nature. He pays absolutely no attention to criticism and just does what he wants anyway. This year, we have been witness to the full extent of his wisdom and knowledge as GM.

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Rodgers is the best move on the list, but trading away a legend and giving Rodgers the ball was his best move.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Rodgers was the easiest move, trading up and drafting clay was the riskiest

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting Rodgers was the easiest move, trading up and drafting clay was the riskiest
MOST GENIUS (BRILLIANT) MOVES BY TEDDY:

#1- Shocking everyone by A) maneuvering UP in a draft with the genius Bill Belichick, and then B) reaching for a smallish LB who only started for less than one college season, and who was the college team's supposed 3rd or 4th best LB prospect

#2- Trading DOWN with that same genius Belichick, letting them take their WR Chad Jackson, and then Ted reaches for Western Michigan's Greg Jennings later, plus adds a free pick for Bill's trouble.

#3- Rodgers. Obviously it was the most IMPORTANT. But it was a gift. Luck. Handed to him, in his lap. He almost didn't take him. And he could have passed, so he deserves some credit for sure. But it was more luck than brilliant. Be real.

#4- Woodson. Much the same as Rodgers. Very important move, but SO MUCH luck.
#1- Ted wanted to spend his huge cap space on bringing in LB Lavar Arrington. Lavar had other options though, and he merely used Ted to drive the price up..... and he turned down more $ from us to sign with his precious east coast team. I cursed him and then he blew out his knee right away, career over.
Charles had no other options to go to (and play CB). Tampa Bay would have taken him but only has a safety. Charles waited and waited because he did not want to come to Green Bay. He was not sold by TT, MM, or the city.
He had no other options so he eventually signed. Remember, he was always injured in Oakland and everyone thought he was broken down, washed up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmW4SwxtsH4]Clay Matthews drafted by the Green Bay Packers - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
where is the option of "dumping the dead weight of a QB in his late 30s"?
Wanted to add it, but wanted to ignore that old guy too, plus "that" guy kinda forced that hand.
But I love how it was handled (other than the fact that that guy carved us up and went 2-0 vs us in 09.)

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta go with Rodgers. Tough to argue about drafting one of the best QB most def. #2 and arguably #1 in the League when Brett Favre's still the starting QB. That takes balls. If it doesn't pan out, he's gone. Big risk, reward was a Superbowl and hopefully more in the near future.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the drafting of Rodgers involved more courage than luck. Remember, Thompson had just taken over the job as VP/GM and before the draft the Packers HOF QB had lobbied him, among other things, to get more weapons for the offense. Of course Thompson had no control over which players were picked #1 through #23, but if you think it was pure luck Rodgers was available to the Packers, don't you have to say that those GMs who passed on Rodgers were unlucky? That's certainly not the case, is it? IMO any GM who passed on Rodgers and didn't already have a pro bowl level QB starting for his team failed in properly evaluating the potential of Rodgers or picked for an immediate need. And that leads to the point about courage: Thompson HAD such a QB in Green Bay and in spite of that he didn't trade down and he didn't make a pick to appease his HOF QB. He took the long view as every GM should. He was stayed true to his plan and was disciplined enough to pick the (by far) top rated player on his board. Even though it would upset his QB and even though the pick would offer no immediate help.

Thompson's subsequent drafts and the way he has managed personnel in Green Bay are further evidence of it not being luck. He had already formulated his plan of how to build a franchise when he arrived in Green Bay. If luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity you may say Thompson had nothing to do with creating the opportunity, but you have to admit being prepared (and disciplined and right) has nothing to do with being "lucky".

Reaction score
Now that I have thought about this for a while, I have changed my mind from Aaron Rodgers to the Clay Matthews trade. When Rodgers was still on the board for the Packers and TT, he had no decision except to take the quarterback that was supposed to go first overall. If Ted really felt like Rodgers was going to win Super bowls, then he wouldn't have taken the risk of letting another team draft him. I'm sure he would have moved up in the draft. When Ted traded 3 picks just to trade up a few positions in the draft, it was a very risky move. Somehow he knew that giving up 3 great draft picks would give him a future pro bowl player. Sometimes it's the risky decisions that separate a GM like Ted Thompson to another average one.

Crazy Packers Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm going with the signing of Charles Woodson. That got everything going in the right direction. Remember that the team went 4-12 in 2005 and no free agents wanted to come here, not even Woodson. Plus Woodson was considered washed-up and people were calling for the Packers to sign LaVar Arrington instead. Where would this franchise be without Woodson? Keep in mind that he single-handedly won that crucial game against Dallas mid-season of 2009 when the season was slipping away. Now Woodson may be on his way to the Hall of Fame.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's definitely open for debate and I've been part of some great debates on this one with many people, many seasoned Packer fans.

Look at it like this:
Which guy was the 1st team All-Pro last year?
Matthews was.

How did our defense suffer without 52 in the Redskin game after he went out, and the next game, at home, vs Chad Henne and the Dolphins?
Correct, it sucked. We lost both games as we had no pass rush, and we made Donny McNabb and Chad Henne actually look okay. Think about that for a moment.......... Henne. McNabb.

Now, the one game where Rodgers did not start, how did the offense look?
Ask Patriots fans.
Our offense was still very good. We almost won that game, but Dan Connelly sparked them to victory.

Rodgers is the franchise and the Super Bowl MVP, and he is one of the best QBs in the game. He was screwed over for the Pro Bowl last year, falling behind Vick, Brees, and Ryan for the NFC squad.... but we know Arod is better than Ryan and Vick.

But Matthews is also the best at his position, in the NFL. In his 2 years, he has terrorized opposing QBs and has been as important as Rodgers has.

Apples to organges, they're both great, we agree there.

Now, think about how Ted obtained each.

Rodgers fell into his lap. He had to take him. He didn't do anything to have him fall into his lap.
Matthews?
That was harder than hell to pull off, first of all, to trade up like that. It ain't easy.
Second, nobody else had Matthews rated that high.... none of you, not me, not Bill Belichick, nobody. TT thought one other team might have, so he had to trade up above them..... BRILLIANT MOVE, and brilliant evaluation to see an NFL Defensive MVP right there when most saw a special teams player for a year or two, and maybe a solid OLB after a year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Rodgers fell into his lap. He had to take him. He didn't do anything to have him fall into his lap.

Here, in order, are the GMs of other teams who “had” to take Rodgers because he fell into their laps:

Miami
Cleveland
Chicago
Tampa Bay
Tennessee
Minnesota
Arizona
Washington
Detroit
Dallas
San Diego
New Orleans