Ted Thompson:year 2

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:beersign: Rome twern't built in a day and only Lombardi and Lambeau turned out quick winners. Whether the Pack will acknowledge it or not they are re-building the team. With the next draft they will have to find some decent TE's, DB's and possibly a QB. The year following should be the prime indicator of whether or not TT and MM have done the jobs they were hired to do. For the time being I'm witholdiing my judgement. As a side note, replacing B. Favre will be a very difficult chore but, if you build a good offensive unit the QB can be slightly above average and still run a decent offense.

Hey don't go taking my line of Rome wasn't built in a Day... :packbeer:

I agree with you on everything. I'd like to add that I think MM and TT know they are rebuilding. I think they believe they can contend in the up and coming years and that's maybe why McCarthy made hints to that he wants Favre back at least 2 more years. Maybe he feels in 2 years it'll be their best chance to win.

I'd also like to say no GM or Coach want's to give the impression that they don't care about winning now that it's all about the future. So there is no way T.T. or MM would say anything like that. If they would it'd be a stupid move on their part. I don't think any GM/Coach combo that new what they were doing would say that. Plus if they said it could you believe the controversy it would stir with the media and Favre. Just makes no sense to say something like that. I'm sure they know what their doing and I'm sure the veteran players like Favre know what is going on from a players point of view. Most fans know what they are doing as well.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:thumbsup: That pretty well covers it and with 30 players on the roster with 2 years or less experience and 20 with 1 year or less one can see where this is headed. As a side thought, what positions on a team other then QB, takes the most development time? My thoughts are the "O" line and DB's. What I see as a problematic area this year is the lack of TE's usage in the passing attack. I hearken back a few years when GB had a pair of TE's that were capable of making substantial yardage after the catch and even stretching the field on occaission. Now because of the "O" line developing they are using them primarily as blockers and even as fullbacks. One would think with a FB and a TE in the backfield and one pulling guard they could be effective running the old Lombardi sweep. No such luck I guess.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think you're missing the point--yes indeed brett's day had an impact--but it wan't the only thing that went wrong-and as Rogers showed--and since he's apparently seriously injured--Brett's a sgood as we've got right now. However-watch QB's--they throw balls guy slide for(to prevent big hits) favre has taken so much crap for his INT's over the years--if the receiver isn't open--I'd throw it away too....how many of those misses were to comletely open receivers???

My point is that the secondary sucks--plain and simple--Harris got old all at once-Woodson has been FAR over-rated for a long time and Maunel was/is/has been a mistake.

My point is that it's criminal in today's NFL to not have quality backups for important positions like those in the OL--or it's completely short-sighted....
I don't mind erratic play--BUT when they get completely overmatched-it would be nice to think there might be an option. It would be nice to think that somehow, somewhere a player is out of work who could be better than a rookie....and actually play for a lot less--of course then we couldn't have sen Thompson extend (at a pretty high rate) a young center who not only misses the snap count an unacceptable amount of time--pass blocks pretty poorly (how many times does Favre get hit from right up the middle), but has an arm that was numb for most of last season....brilliant...

and as far as twisting--let's not even go there--I could pull Sherman's record and throw that at you...McCarthy is over his head-- most of his assistants are as well...and of course....Thompson is a buffooon....

I love this team--and I think there is some potential herre--but the whle system is what's wroong--it's not JUST that Favre had a bad day--it's not JUST that the O-line looked like a bunch of little old ladies, it's just that the term 'running' backs would have been a complete misnomer

In a year and a half-the Packers have gone from a consistent playoff-level team--to one who gets mangled by anyone with a winning record....just where exactly does the accountability for that lie?? With the players?? somewhat...with the coaches...maybe a little more...with the guy overseeing the whole process??????

I wish this poster still posted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give MM one more year ad we will be there...

Really maybe TT is doing a fair job, but MM seems to be not HC material at all, he always has tat deer in the headlights look and last game he was one step from waving a white flag.

By the way EVEN in the 70´s or 80´s we never got 2 sutdown losses at Lambeau, we have them now, Coach MM making history.

Just my 2 cents.
I recall this theory. On the site I was on at a time, some idiot posted this and then it got reposted by others and taken as a fact. I requested numerous times for a picture to be posted with such an expression of even once, let alone 'always' or 'often'.