Ted Thompson turning tricks....

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro Football Talk said:
PACKERS CAP SHENANIGANS THE CAUSE OF THE GOODELL MEMO?

Several readers have been trying to help us figure out the catalyst for the Friday memo from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell requiring all owners to submit a weekly statement in which they expressly state that they authorize any new contracts or renegotiations, and that they have read the documents.

Some of our readers thought that the e-mail might have been caused by the Antonio Bryant situation. Bryant has sued the league to block the imposition of discipline under the substance-abuse policy, and the paperwork and media reports suggest that Bryant was and/or is poised to sign with another team. But since the new procedure applies only to new contracts and not to mere negotiations, the Bryant case most likely isn't the reason for the change.

A couple of other readers have raised a much more intriguing possibility. Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel recently reported that, on October 23, the Green Bay Packers recently signed tight end Ryan Krause from their practice squad. His one-year contract with a prorated base salary of $510,000 also included a $4 million "likely to be earned" incentive that kicks in only if Krause blocks more than six punts over the balance of the season.

It would be quite an impressive feat, especially since Krause doesn't play on the punt block team.

Because these types of incentives are characterized under the CBA as "likely to be earned," the cap charge applied when the deal was signed. If/when Krause doesn't earn the incentive, the money gets pushed into the next cap year.

It's a fairly common device. Earlier this year, the Vikings used the tactic to push $13.2 million in 2007 cap money into 2008 when extending the contract of defensive tackle Pat Williams.

But the NFL Players Association isn't keen on the practice, since it essentially takes money out of the pockets of the players and pushes it into a future cap year. "What you don't want is all that money taken out of the pool for other players who might get contract extensions during the season," a union source told Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports in September.

Our guess? After the Krause contract was reported, the union went bonkos. The league office looked into the situation, and Packers president Bob Harlan (since there's no specific owner of the publicly-held team) said that he didn't know that the front office had pulled of the cap maneuver. So, as a result, the league office has decided to intercept any future efforts by owners to rely upon the "I don't know nothing" defense by requiring all of them to affirmatively state that they are aware of any new contracts, and that they have read them.

TT is pulling some funny business. That Vikings deal makes since. They sign big name FA every year but always seem to have more cap space then the Packers.

Reaction score
I was intrigued by why Thompson would want an extra 4 million in cap space next year... I mean it isn't like he's a bad manager of the cap, so he'd have plenty of room next off-season. I think the cap allocation is set to rise yet again by a good 6-7 million (from 109 million to 116 million, but I'm not so sure).

He should be free of Manuel's cap charge, so that'd be a positive. I don't see Franks staying on the roster with a 4.5 million dollar cap charge, so that too should free some space up.

So I'm stumped by why we'd need an extra 4 million in cap space. Perhaps Ted is planning on doing a bit of Free Agency spending? That is a bit out there, but this team is in the rise with a set core that is improving, and a couple of pieces here and there (namely a good RB, nickel back) might set this team up for a serious Superbowl run.

There aren't a ton of core players to resign this year (Bigby, Lee come to mind, Williams may price himself out of town) so I wonder what called for 4 million being pushed into next year...

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
I'm sure TT isn't the only one

Exactly 100%

but NOW that the PACKERS are exploiting it, things will change. God forbid GB tries to keep up with the shadyness of the NFL.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yared-Yam said:
That is genius, and I'm sure TT isn't the only one

vikings did that for years...It came to light the year they signed pat williams I think...

Daunte Culpepper at the time had something like, played on X amount of special teams bonus

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I fail to understand here is why "Ryan Krouse" and "4 million" are in the same sentence. I'm missing something I'm sure.

Members online