Ted Thompson Legacy Reaches Highest Stink Worse Than Mike Sherman

D

Deleted member 6794

It's not a main reason but being able to play single high safety would help us use a guy like Josh Jones as an in the box safety, where he's actually looked effective. To me a centerfielder type could help us stabilize the back end of our defense. Could better safety play have helped us in multiple close losses?

Randall is better suited to play free safety but please stop acting as if he performed at an elite level there this season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall is better suited to play free safety but please stop acting as if he performed at an elite level there this season.

I did not, stop relying on straw men. However, he does have the range and football speed to play the position and flashed the instincts there as well. Personally I think he could develop into a very good deep cover safety. Was he arguably better in Cleveland than what we had back their last year sans Dix yes he was. Does he have more physical talent at the position than Dix, yes he does. It says a lot to me that he played at an above average level of play on his first year at the position in the NFL.

D

Deleted member 6794

I did not, stop relying on straw men.

Well, a slightly above average free safety like Randall wouldn't have significantly improved the Packers defense this season. Therefore it's a moot point complaining about Gutekunst having traded him.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO.

Posts like this make me glad I've avoided this place.

Ted Thompson's legacy will be drafting one of the greatest QB's of all time in the late 1st, building a Super Bowl winning team, and being a high quality man. His last few years were bad, but his prior years make up for it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, doing that and then running it into the ground isn't going to be considered in the legacy evaluation? "A" SB winning team is pretty relevant, IMO, as is the past couple of years.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LMAO.

Posts like this make me glad I've avoided this place.

Ted Thompson's legacy will be drafting one of the greatest QB's of all time in the late 1st, building a Super Bowl winning team, and being a high quality man. His last few years were bad, but his prior years make up for it.
Agreed, and at this point, what is the use of dissing TT’s last few drafts? The past is gone.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not a main reason but being able to play single high safety would help us use a guy like Josh Jones as an in the box safety, where he's actually looked effective. To me a centerfielder type could help us stabilize the back end of our defense. Could better safety play have helped us in multiple close losses?
If they’re gonna keep Josh Jones, and I’m sure they are, move him permanently to LB. It doesn’t help a guy by moving him around. Find a safety in FA and maybe a true #2 WR to Adams.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it crumbled because he left.

Rodgers play has dropped off significnatly.

Can we all agree that TT made Rodgers and not the other way around? It's fairly obvious.

Fire Gute and bring TT back.

Dude it's puff puff pass, not bogart it all for yourself.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, a slightly above average free safety like Randall wouldn't have significantly improved the Packers defense this season. Therefore it's a moot point complaining about Gutekunst having traded him.

Bingo, Randall does not have the complete skills of Burnett and Collins, and as much as I like what Alexander has contributed to our defense, we probably would have done better to snare Derwin James when we could have.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they’re gonna keep Josh Jones, and I’m sure they are, move him permanently to LB. It doesn’t help a guy by moving him around. Find a safety in FA and maybe a true #2 WR to Adams.

I'm for this. Blitz him opposite side of Fackrell and cut Clay. He could probably hurdle low blocks too.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bingo, Randall does not have the complete skills of Burnett and Collins, and as much as I like what Alexander has contributed to our defense, we probably would have done better to snare Derwin James when we could have.

Collins was a near Hall of Famer and might have been if he lasted in the league another 3-5 years. Burnett was a switch safety but never excelled in the deep cover role. His strength was versatility and while he was more versatile and a better run defender than say Nick Collins I doubt anyone would take Burnett over Collins. Could Randall turn into a top flight deep cover safety? There arent a lot of safeties in the league who run in the 4.4s or who could play the corner position as Randall did in his third season.

See Randalls pick against the Oakland Raiders. If Dix ever got to the sideline from centerfield to make a play like that Id die of shock. Randall playing inside the hash marks makes the correct read bolts for the sideline and picks it. I havent seen a Packer safety make a play like that in a regular season game since Collins. Why is this important? Because Tramon Williams is getting long in the tooth even if he played admirably at the position and Josh Jones is an in the box safety who struggles with deep drops. So either we get a Free Safety who has the natural ability to play single high, like Randall did in that play. Or we need to pick up two conventional safeties like Dix and Burnett.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/damarious-randall-picks-off-derek-carr-on-a-perfect-read

Derwin James who does have the ability to play all over the field might have been the better pick. The back end of our defense would likely be set right now. Unfortunately if we picked James we'd have a gaping hole at corner.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it crumbled because he left.

Rodgers play has dropped off significnatly.

Can we all agree that TT made Rodgers and not the other way around? It's fairly obvious.

Fire Gute and bring TT back.

I really do hope this post was intended to be funny and not serious because in today's league it's not going to work to not diversify your portfolio without some investments in free agency. He did not do this enough and hence dumped the mess on Gute's plate.

By the way, I'm a bit critical of Gute myself, he's got some critical work to do to convince me he's the guy as well. But one thing is for sure that the FA market has an abundant supply of pass rushers this year, and I'd think we should be able to afford one or two even with Rodgers's contract. I say cut a little fat off of our TE block that's also hogging up space here.

If he can do that, and then get a S or two plus a swath load of OL plus WR/RBs this draft, he'll already be way ahead of old nutty TT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I really do hope this post was intended to be funny and not serious because in today's league it's not going to work to not diversify your portfolio without some investments in free agency. He did not do this enough and hence dumped the mess on Gute's plate.

By the way, I'm a bit critical of Gute myself, he's got some critical work to do to convince me he's the guy as well. But one thing is for sure that the FA market has an abundant supply of pass rushers this year, and I'd think we should be able to afford one or two even with Rodgers's contract. I say cut a little fat off of our TE block that's also hogging up space here.

If he can do that, and then get a S or two plus a swath load of OL plus WR/RBs this draft, he'll already be way ahead of old nutty TT.

I'm not being too critical of Gute just yet, as you put it, TT left him with a mess and its going to take some time to clean it up. Hard to not say "re-build" but if we didn't have #12, I would say we are pretty close to that kind of project.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed, and at this point, what is the use of dissing TT’s last few drafts? The past is gone.

Unfortunately the past isn't gone as Thompson's last few drafts have left the current team with a lack of overall talent.

Derwin James currently looks like the better player but you have to consider the additional first rounder Gutekunst was able to acquire as well.

Members online

Latest posts