Ted Thompson in the mold of Ron Wolf...

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digs and Bruce both made some good points in this thread before it went down the toilet. I'm not impressed with Thompson overall, but I'm willing to give him another year or two to see what his plan is. And I think the point still stands that Wolf is being judged by his "greatest hits" and his ultimate success, while Thompson is being judged before most of his moves have had a chance to pan out. (Throwing the Favre trade in our face as proof of Wolf's good judgment only underlines that point, as it took about three years for that trade to prove its worth.)

I've also noticed that most of Wolf's free agent signings (Reggie being the major exception) were made when the Pack was on the verge of contending for a championship. Unfortunately, that's not where this team is right now. You can blame it on Thompson or blame it on Sherman, but this team is at least a couple years away from being a serious contender. This is not the time to pour massive dollars into veteran free agents who can give us a chance to be 9-7 instead of 6-10.

Bruce, you scare me with that talk about how Thompson is developing a bad reputation among players and agents. Can you tell us where you got that information? I hope it's not true. My fear about Thompson is that although he appears to have some good skills in evaluating personnel (enough for Holmgren to make him his right-hand man in Seattle) he may not have the public relations and interpersonal skills to successfully lead an NFL franchise.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
trom your awsome i love your new signature i always say shot in the face

Why don't you two put on your hunter orange.....so we won't have to be subjected to this.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :stop: :puke:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
gopackgo4 said:
trom your awsome i love your new signature i always say shot in the face

Why don't you two put on your hunter orange....oil each other up...and rent a room in GB somewhere....so we won't have to be subjected to this.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :stop: :puke:

:lol: :lol:

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pack66, why dont you sneak into Bretts house, put on a wig so you look like Deanna, and have your way with Favre like you dream every night.

ps - im not here to make friends. I have friends(believe it or not). Im here to discuss the packers with reasonable people, not idiots who dont know how free agency works. Durr....Everyone is gone from free agency! What is ted doing? Durrr....tool.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What I would like to know..TT-romadz...

is what are you going to do if TT spends all of that $30 mil...on bargain basement, run of the mill...dregs off the "waiver wire"... and rookies he just picked up in the draft.???

Like many here suspect he will....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce...my point about Favre "the 3rd stringer" was nothing more than a very simple means to shed some light on some people's notion that only big name, starting FAs are the only worhty of being signed.

And Greg, you make a great point that I have also made in the past. You build your team through the draft, and once you have a solid foundation built, you can target select free agents to put you over the top.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Bruce...my point about Favre "the 3rd stringer" was nothing more than a very simple means to shed some light on some people's notion that only big name, starting FAs are the only worhty of being signed.

And Greg, you make a great point that I have also made in the past. You build your team through the draft, and once you have a solid foundation built, you can target select free agents to put you over the top.

In today's NFL.....I'm not so sure that is true anymore. It takes 3-4 years to build a bottom team through the draft with selective free agents. By the time that happens all your good draft picks want to renegotiate their rookie contract or become free agents....then......well you get the picture.

In my mind you have got to try to keep your CORE players (ala Indy and New England) and then support them with good free agents and draft picks. The problem it seems is to GET Core players you have to hit bottom and draft in the top 5 for a few years in a row.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DEpack,
It's exacty what it is. A system that rewards teams that holds onto a core of players and understands the type of players that can be brought in that will be successful in the system.

I see a core of players on the Packers. What I don't see is that take charge, attitude guy, that gives the "D" an identity. We need that.

I don't see that take charge guy on the "O" line. The guy that keeps that group together and pushes them. Flanny is probably the closest to being that guy when healthy. That's why I think he's more valuable to them then a lot of folks here give him credit for.

Brett seemed to inherit that job last year and while he is a natural leader and the overall leader of the team most good teams have a leader of that "O" line.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
DEpack,
It's exacty what it is. A system that rewards teams that holds onto a core of players and understands the type of players that can be brought in that will be successful in the system.

I see a core of players on the Packers. What I don't see is that take charge, attitude guy, that gives the "D" an identity. We need that.

I don't see that take charge guy on the "O" line. The guy that keeps that group together and pushes them. Flanny is probably the closest to being that guy when healthy. That's why I think he's more valuable to them then a lot of folks here give him credit for.

Brett seemed to inherit that job last year and while he is a natural leader and the overall leader of the team most good teams have a leader of that "O" line.

Great post.....but if Favre doesn't return, who are the "core players"? You can pick a half dozen core players for Indy. Pitt and New England. I'm not so sure we have "core players".

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckley was a good pick, 14 years in NFL he must have had some ability. We just ran him out of town as a rookie like we are Carroll. As for TT you need to remember he signed free agents Kampman and Green which are both good signs in addition to Marquad. Sirius NFL radio yesterday said Marquad was an excellent sign and we would be very happy with him. He has physical tools and is a leader and coach on the field which we haven't had in secondary since Butler left. I have concerns about TT also, doesn't seem to communicate any better with players than Sherman, but some of the money spent on these signings are absurd. Would anybody here seriously spend 36 million for 6 years for Bentley. Then what do you pay our tackles when their contract comes up because they will expect to be higher paid than a center.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
paxvogel said:
Buckley was a good pick, 14 years in NFL he must have had some ability. We just ran him out of town as a rookie like we are Carroll. As for TT you need to remember he signed free agents Kampman and Green which are both good signs in addition to Marquad. Sirius NFL radio yesterday said Marquad was an excellent sign and we would be very happy with him. He has physical tools and is a leader and coach on the field which we haven't had in secondary since Butler left. I have concerns about TT also, doesn't seem to communicate any better with players than Sherman, but some of the money spent on these signings are absurd. Would anybody here seriously spend 36 million for 6 years for Bentley. Then what do you pay our tackles when their contract comes up because they will expect to be higher paid than a center.

As I've stated before I liked Buckley a lot. I was a huge fan of his even after he left the Packers. However I'd be naive if I believed it was the Packers Fans who ran him out of town. Lets face it, his mouth and fumblitis on Punt Returns is what ran him out of town. I'm willing to bet Alvin Harper jumping dang near completely over him didn't help his case of staying in GB either. Damn cowboys!!

Here's a clip of an article that relates to this ...
Green Bay, Wis. Cornerback Terrell Buckley's disappointing career with the Green Bay Packers is all but finished.

His dismal performance in the team's 35-9 loss Sunday to the Dallas Cowboys in a divisional playoff game was the last straw. The Packers, seeking salary-cap relief, in all likelihood will submit Buckley's name as one of six players on a list they must make available by Tuesday for the Feb. 15 expansion draft.

Read full article here http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n10181024

Members online

Latest posts