Ted Thompson in the mold of Ron Wolf...

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a thought I want to offer to everyone. I'm not so sure what to make of TT yet, but he certainly isn't impressive.

There was a lot of hype how TT was a protege of Ron Wolf, etc., etc. and everyone got excited by that.

But, no matter how great the mentor it does not guarantee the success of the mentee. Assuming TT will be a great GM because he worked under Ron Wolf is like assuming Bart Starr would be a great coach because he learned from Vince Lombardi. History proves that doesn't always work well.

So, if TT disappoints during his tenure as GM don't be surprised is all I have to say. It would be delightful if he turned out great.

Food for thought. :)

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny thing is, you have the benefit of hindsight to examine Wolf's entire career...and believe me, the many blunders he made (Jon Michels being one) will not make the highlight reel. And yet, here we have people comparing a highly edited perspective on Wolf and the just started career of TT. Talk about an imbalance of evidence to make a decent evaluation.

Remember Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, John Jurvovich, etc. Except for Reggie, these are the types of FA's that Wolf built those teams around. Yep, the second tier players.

Let it play out....unless you think it is sound to pay a guard, no matter how good, $7 million per year.

We will get our players, and we will get them without overpaying.

Joe Johnson anyone....he was the biggest name in free agency when we made that blunder! George Koonce...little known journeyman who blossomed in GB.

You get my point....unless you don't want to.

OP
OP
R

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eugene Robinson was not a 2nd tier player. He wasn't as marquee as Reggie, but he was not 2nd tier.

Otherwise, excellent point, digs. Like I said, I'm not sure what to make of him yet. Time will tell.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good points dig. Unfortunately, people will not be patient with TT if he doesn't get Brett to return. Brett stated that he wanted to wait and see what the Pack does with free agency. If Brett retires, it will be an indictment of TT. If that's the case we are 6-10 at best. 10-22 your first two years will not flush with the fans unless they see something into the future. TT's gotta hit this season....no matter how unfair that may be.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Eugene Robinson was not a 2nd tier player. He wasn't as marquee as Reggie, but he was not 2nd tier.

Otherwise, excellent point, digs. Like I said, I'm not sure what to make of him yet. Time will tell.

I agree!

Time will tell, we need to be patient, at least for this year.

Next year will tell us how he is really doing.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
too bad, because "people" doesn't decide his faith, Bob Harlan and the rest of the Packers board does, and they won't dump him right away, you guys know Rome wasn't built in one day, don't you?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabid....given Robinson's age at the time he signed (33 I believe) automatically makes him second tier as he is not about building long-term, but was certainly a necessary piece of the puzzle for a couple years.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
too bad, because "people" doesn't decide his faith, Bob Harlan and the rest of the Packers board does, and they won't dump him right away, you guys know Rome wasn't built in one day, don't you?

I believe MOST of the board members are, in fact, people.

Besides Gakk, read my message. I said "unfortunately" and "no matter how UNFAIR that might be".

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Remember Sean Jones, Santana Dotson, Eugene Robinson, John Jurvovich, etc. Except for Reggie, these are the types of FA's that Wolf built those teams around. Yep, the second tier players.

You get my point....unless you don't want to.

I remember Wolf's Free Agents very well

Sean Jones was a two time All Pro -- he had more sacks than Reggie in 1994 (5th in the NFL) and was a big time signing.

Santana Dotson was a talented kid Wolf outbid everyone for from TB. In his rookie season he had 54 tackles and 10 sacks -- pretty impressive for a rookie DT, he followed that great debut season with 3 more solid seasons as a starter for the Bucs, before Wolf brought him to GB.

Eugene Robinson played in what 5 Pro Bowls (including in 1998/99 with Atlanta post GB)? Robinson recorded 57 interceptions, 762 return yards, 22 fumble recoveries, 71 return yards, and 2 touchdowns in his career and played in three straight Super Bowls. He was a Starter in Seattle, Green Bay, Atlanta and Carolina.

John Jurkovic, the blue-collar lineman "with effervescence," according to NFL.com. sacked some of the best in the game and left parts of his knees scattered on several NFL playing fields. He did make 2nd team all Pro for Jacksonville in 1995. And was a fan favorite in Green Bay.

So who are the Thompson equivalents??? Safeties Freeman & Little? LB Ray Thompson? Guards O'Dwyer and Klemm??? 2nd stringer Manuel?

You've got to be kidding.

And is it a coincidence that you left All Pro TE Keith Jackson off your list???

Ted Thompson is in Ron Wolf's mold???? Would some one please tell him to stop playing around, get out of the mold and get to work -- free agency has begun.

What kind of mold? plastic? wax? cast metal? ... please tell me you are not talking about green mold, because that would be some seriously gross kinky stuff.

Regardless, if this is the problem at least we know what it is and can take corrective action.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Ted Thompson is in Ron Wolf's mold???? Would some one please tell him to stop playing around, get out of the mold and get to work -- free agency has begun.

I'm curious, do you believe ted is not doing anything? Do you believe he isnt in contact with players\agents or in negotiations with anyone? Do you believe that, Yes or No?

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

I'm curious, do you believe ted is not doing anything? Do you believe he isnt in contact with players\agents or in negotiations with anyone? Do you believe that, Yes or No?

I believe our first time GM is being outhustled and may be in over his head. He is getting a seriously bad reputation with players and agents around the league -- and despite having the most money of any team in free agency, can not even get FA to consider coming in for visits.

Perception is everything -- and right now GB is perceived as NOT the place to be.

It is not too late for Teddy to reverse some of the damage -- but agents for Barry, Longwell, Diggs, Wahl, Walker... are out there saying the guy doesn't even put in serious effort to talking about working out contracts. Fair or unfair, that is the perception that is floating around out there.

Is that straight forward enough for you?

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce, how many years did Wolf have to make those moves. Let's see he started in 1991 and won the SB in 1996....gathering players along the way. TT has been on the job 1 year.

And yes, Keith Jackson was a huge signing...and Jurko was one of my all time favorites.....he was a hoot.

Did you conveniently forget that, on the surface, TT has put together one of the better drafts GB has had in years? Who was Wolf's first draft choice....ummmmmm Terrell Buckley?

Glad you didn't decide to cast Wolf's fate on his first stab at player acquisition with GB. And as to your comment regarding Manuel as "2nd stringer"...just how many players begin their careers as a starter? Not many. Oh, by the way....Brett Favre was a mere "3rd stringer".

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

I believe our first time GM is being outhustled and may be in over his head. He is getting a seriously bad reputation with players and agents around the league -- and despite having the most money of any team in free agency, can not even get FA to consider coming in for visits.

Perception is everything -- and right now GB is perceived as NOT the place to be.

It is not too late for Teddy to reverse some of the damage -- but agents for Barry, Longwell, Diggs, Wahl, Walker... are out there saying the guy doesn't even put in serious effort to talking about working out contracts. Fair or unfair, that is the perception that is floating around out there.

well you didnt come close to answering my question. And GB has been looked at in this 'not very great' manner since the mckenzie deal...and we still get people to come. a lot of crying,whining, and panicking for no reason. it is annoying. I am entertained how people think we're gonna sit on 30 million dollars.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Come on digs -- you are better than this -- at least I thought you were. Please tell me you are kidding? I seem to remember that Wolf made his first move trading a first round draft choice for some obscure 3rd string QB from Atlanta -- Ted's got the guy sitting in Mississippi telling him to prove he is serious about trying to win.

Ted's first choice did do a nice job of holding clip boards, but certainly looked way over his head any time he stepped on the football field.

Buckley at least started for the Packers and ended up with a 15 year NFL career and Super Bowl rings.

What did Wolf do next? he went out and out-bid the rest of the NFL (overpaying by Teddy standards) for the greatest DE of all time. But Thompson would have probably done a George Bush Sr, "Wouldn't be prudent" routine.

Sherman targeted Collins and the same Packer scout that discovered/uncovered Donald Driver found Hawkins, but what the Hell let's give Teddy credit even where he doesn't deserve it.

After letting an All Pro LG and Pro Bowl RG leave he did throw a rookie 7th round draft choice into the line-up (and over his head) is that what you are calling good drafting?

Let's see??? Ron Wolf took a losing team that was not in the Playoffs and never produced a single losing season during his Packer tenure. Ted Thompson did the reverse -- he took the three time division champions and turned them into 4 - 12 with NFL-E type talent.

They are comparable on one front though, When Ron Wolf arrive the Packers were so bad that they got to draft 5th (for the only time in his tenure), after one season under T.T. the Packers are drafting 5th again -- because they once again have one of the worst record in the NFL.

digsthepack said:
Bruce, how many years did Wolf have to make those moves. Let's see he started in 1991 and won the SB in 1996....gathering players along the way. TT has been on the job 1 year.

And yes, Keith Jackson was a huge signing...and Jurko was one of my all time favorites.....he was a hoot.

Did you conveniently forget that, on the surface, TT has put together one of the better drafts GB has had in years? Who was Wolf's first draft choice....ummmmmm Terrell Buckley?

Glad you didn't decide to cast Wolf's fate on his first stab at player acquisition with GB. And as to your comment regarding Manuel as "2nd stringer"...just how many players begin their careers as a starter? Not many. Oh, by the way....Brett Favre was a mere "3rd stringer".

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

well you didnt come close to answering my question. And GB has been looked at in this 'not very great' manner since the mckenzie deal...and we still get people to come. a lot of crying,whining, and panicking for no reason. it is annoying. I am entertained how people think we're gonna sit on 30 million dollars.

Are you mentally retarded?

Not that it would be a bad thing if you were, but it would explain this and some of your other nonsensical responses.

Where in what I wrote did I say any of that? I am not crying, whining or panicking. I also never said I thought that Thompson would simply sit on the $30 million -- he can't under the CBA agreement.

I gave you a serious answer to your question. If you want to play the fool have at it. IF it is because of mental impairment, please let me know. Not only will I apologize, but I will be far more gentle in the future.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

Are you mentally retarded?

Not that it would be a bad thing if you were, but it would explain this and some of your other nonsensical responses.

Where in what I wrote did I say any of that? I am not crying, whining or panicking. I also never said I thought that Thompson would simply sit on the $30 million -- he can't under the CBA agreement.

I gave you a serious answer to your question. If you want to play the fool have at it. IF it is because of mental impairment, please let me know. Not only will I apologize, but I will be far more gentle in the future.

I can answer that. Mentally retarded people laugh at his posts. He is single-minded. Every, I mean EVERY one of his posts have one purpose...to defend his daddy, TT. Kind of reminds me of the old days when every one of 66 posts were to bash Sherm. Not that I'm comparing the two. 66 has more football knowledge in his little finger than ttrom has in his entire body.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Come on digs -- you are better than this -- at least I thought you were. Please tell me you are kidding? I seem to remember that Wolf made his first move trading a first round draft choice for some obscure 3rd string QB from Atlanta -- Ted's got the guy sitting in Mississippi telling him to prove he is serious about trying to win.

Ted's first choice did do a nice job of holding clip boards, but certainly looked way over his head any time he stepped on the football field.

Buckley at least started for the Packers and ended up with a 15 year NFL career and Super Bowl rings.

What did Wolf do next? he went out and out-bid the rest of the NFL (overpaying by Teddy standards) for the greatest DE of all time. But Thompson would have probably done a George Bush Sr, "Wouldn't be prudent" routine.

Sherman targeted Collins and the same Packer scout that discovered/uncovered Donald Driver found Hawkins, but what the Hell let's give Teddy credit even where he doesn't deserve it.

After letting an All Pro LG and Pro Bowl RG leave he did throw a rookie 7th round draft choice into the line-up (and over his head) is that what you are calling good drafting?

Let's see??? Ron Wolf took a losing team that was not in the Playoffs and never produced a single losing season during his Packer tenure. Ted Thompson did the reverse -- he took the three time division champions and turned them into 4 - 12 with NFL-E type talent.

They are comparable on one front though, When Ron Wolf arrive the Packers were so bad that they got to draft 5th (for the only time in his tenure), after one season under T.T. the Packers are drafting 5th again -- because they once again have one of the worst record in the NFL.

digsthepack said:

I asked you a YES or NO question. You didnt answer with either. Thats why I said you didnt answer my question. But go with name calling, its easier.

DePack..check your ***.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

digsthepack said:

I asked you a YES or NO question. You didnt answer with either. Thats why I said you didnt answer my question. But go with name calling, its easier.

DePack..check your ***.

I just asked you a yes or no question. I answered your question, you did not answer mine. I am not calling you names, rather trying to understand what gives with some of you inane responses. If it isn't low I.Q., perhaps it is a reading disability.

I gave you a serious and thoughtful answer to your question and your response was moronic -- how should I respond to that?

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright well im not a TT lover nor a hater. But so far he has done an alright job. Look at the draft, we got a projected 2nd pick QB a starting WR, a starting guard, and a starting saftey. Plus Mike hawkins who is said will be very good. So really is he that bad. and dont say i am kissing his @ss because im not im just saying dont judge him unfairly

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:
Bruce said:

digsthepack said:

DePack..check your ***.

I just asked you a yes or no question. I answered your question, you did not answer mine. I am not calling you names, rather trying to understand what gives with some of you inane responses. If it isn't low I.Q., perhaps it is a reading disability.

I gave you a serious and thoughtful answer to your question and your response was moronic -- how should I respond to that?

how should you answer a YES or NO question?! are you kidding me?
lets agree to disagree

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gopackgo4 said:
Alright well im not a TT lover nor a hater. But so far he has done an alright job. Look at the draft, we got a projected 2nd pick QB a starting WR, a starting guard, and a starting saftey. Plus Mike hawkins who is said will be very good. So really is he that bad. and dont say i am kissing his @ss because im not im just saying dont judge him unfairly

Bro: I am not accusing you or anyone of anything. But what we got was a QB who is not NFL ready -- we all hope he turns out to be an answer.

A receiver who was not in the top 3 or 4 receivers on the Packers team, but showed some promise before getting injured -- an injury that revealed a neck problem that will likely end his career.

Collins was a good pick -- no doubt, but he was Sherman's boy all the way. He had been personally scouted by Sherman before Thompson arrived. Folks inside 1265 have confirmed that Thompson wanted to go a different directions, but that Sherman made such a compelling argument that Thompson gave in.

It is looking like Underwood was a wasted pick -- why else would we have paid to get Seattle's back up safety? Who by the way was beaten out by Roman in Cinny and cut. A Safety who has career totals of 0 interceptions and 5 passes defended -- bad numbers for a single season by a LB

Hawkins was discovered by the same scout who uncovered Donald Driver. He was a Wolf hire and predates Sherman and Thompson. The majority of fans were whining and screaming when they selected him -- I came on and told people to calm down that they may have uncovered a special player. But regardless -- to give Thompson credit for this is unrealistic.

Whitaker started but only because Ted Thompson let Wahle and Rivera go -- it is up in the air if he will make the Packers squad

Last year's FA could not even make the roster -- so far this off season the same looks possible with Manuel.

I want Ted Thompson to succeed. I have praised him for his response to Walker. I have praised him for resigning Green at a bargin. I have praised him for locking up Kampman before he hit this crazy market.

I am not a Thompson *** kisser or hater either. I am however not impressed by his performance to date!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts