Ted Thompson esoteric draft pick#1

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman played only for the year he was in...always trying to squeeze one more Super Bowl out of #4...and in doing so, he traded away the future and left a team with no depth across the board, and little talent at many positions...especially LBs.

I simply do not understand why people cannot get a grasp on the fact that the replacements we are now scrambling for should have already been on the roster, developing for a couple years, so that they were ready when called upon. Sadly, GM Sherman threw them all away in his quest for that one player who would put him and his team over the top....you know, James Lee, Hunter Hillenmeyer (who was discarded to keep Torrance Marshall), Donnell Washington, Torrance Marshall...the list goes on.

My honest opinion on Sherman is he should never of been GM. Had Ron Wolf stayed on as GM for another 2 or 3 more years I believe we would of reached one more Super Bowl with Sherman as the Head Coach. We were 12-4 twice with him and 10-6, 2 other times as well. However as GM he was in over his head and for every good move he made there were 3 or 4 bad ones. His inability to be a good GM is what lead to the hire of Ted Thompson and lead to his exit from Green Bay. Make no mistake about it, Mike Sherman did not build those early 2000 Packer teams. Ron Wolf built that team and put them together and we are still benefiting from his ability to be a great GM now. Mike Sherman was just a coach who inherited a lot of talent left by Wolf. Sherman gave out a few extensions to players left by Ron Wolf but he certainly didn’t discover much talent.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DigsthePack and P@ck66 are both right.

Sherman had a good team and kept trying to make a playoff team better. It was short term thinking. Sherman had very little patience in negotiations and on draft day. To be fair he never had any training in that part of pro football.

Yes, P@ck66, if Ted Thompson can get enough talent on the team in this off-season the team may get back to the playoff level of talent that was on the team when he took over. Ted gave away a lot of talent that had and has to be replaced.
Some examples:
[Manuel and Collins vs. Sharper(cut) and Roman(cut)]
[Darren College vs. Mike Wahle(cut)]
(Wells vs. Flanagan)
(Rodgers vs Nall)

Packer employees like all humans make mistakes. You take the good with the bad until the bad outweighs the good. Let's not debate history too much as it cannot be undone.

Now, that the thread has gone far astray from the original topic.

Ted Thompson's drafting is generally good.
It's focus is on obtaining the most value. That by definition is more long term. I have no major complaints with his draft style or methodology.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When MS became HC we were as good as anyone and a top SB contender.
By the time he left we were as far away from SB contention as any team in the NFL.
Anyone in charge of anything that shows an obvious and substantial slide in the quality of performance such as this should get their *** canned.

Those of you that want to stop MS's contribution to the demise of this team prior to '05 are sleeping in la la land. You would like to conveniently put that turd over in TT's corner of the house when in reality the guy had just moved in. He didn't have any money or other means of causing change to hurt or help the '05 Packers.

So go ahead and start TT's engine with the '05 season although something like 19 of the 21 starters were Shermans players from the previous year.

The only thing TT had to do with it was his name was on the door.

For those that don't want to acknowledge the slide we were on starting in the early 2000's forward that's fine. But to say the train crash we saw in '05 is on TT is just a little more than any rational thinker can take.

When you don't DRAFT ANYBODY WORTH A CRAP in 4 or 5 years and make MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE in FA during that same time your going to crash.

But like I said I guess because TT's name was on the door it's all on him.

EKKKKKKK...those are facts!!! You know most people dont like it when you produce facts

;)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
When MS became HC we were as good as anyone and a top SB contender.
By the time he left we were as far away from SB contention as any team in the NFL.
Anyone in charge of anything that shows an obvious and substantial slide in the quality of performance such as this should get their *** canned.

Those of you that want to stop MS's contribution to the demise of this team prior to '05 are sleeping in la la land. You would like to conveniently put that turd over in TT's corner of the house when in reality the guy had just moved in. He didn't have any money or other means of causing change to hurt or help the '05 Packers.

So go ahead and start TT's engine with the '05 season although something like 19 of the 21 starters were Shermans players from the previous year.

The only thing TT had to do with it was his name was on the door.

For those that don't want to acknowledge the slide we were on starting in the early 2000's forward that's fine. But to say the train crash we saw in '05 is on TT is just a little more than any rational thinker can take.

When you don't DRAFT ANYBODY WORTH A CRAP in 4 or 5 years and make MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE in FA during that same time your going to crash.

But like I said I guess because TT's name was on the door it's all on him.

Good post. Right on.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman was a good HC overall in the regular season that would go marty schottenhimer in the playoffs. He was a very LOUSY GM.

Members online

Latest posts