Ted Thompson esoteric draft pick#1

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the first in a series of posts highlighting players who well might end up being drafted by the Packers(think Nick Collins).

Ted enjoys drafting players that few others rate as high(Colledge).

Some work out(Spitz), others don't(the kick returner last year, and many from his first draft)

So to be better prepared for Ted's draft day surprises, I will from time to time, pull a few of these out for consideration.

Today's find:

http://www.utepathletics.com/ViewAr...35&DB_OEM_ID=2100&ATCLID=323605&Q_SEASON=2006

Apparently this kid showed incredible speed and hands at the first day of Senior Bowl practice.

Slightly smaller than Driver, but probably faster, and a punt returner to boot.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you might misinterpret good scouting. Since Wolf did much in this area the Packers have had a good scouting department and have found many good prospects. Though Sherman ignored some advice the department has had few changes.

The Long Snapper for the Edmonton Eskimos is being flown in for a try out tomorrow. It is not finding an obscure players like Samkon Gado but demonstrating a command and knowledge of the full market of players.

For those of you who think Ted Thompson is cheap, well finding these players early does allow the team to sign them to reasonable contracts(Donald Lee).

It is knowing more about who is out there before the other teams learn it.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you might misinterpret good scouting. Since Wolf did much in this area the Packers have had a good scouting department and have found many good prospects. Though Sherman ignored some advice the department has had few changes.

The Long Snapper for the Edmonton Eskimos is being flown in for a try out tomorrow. It is not finding an obscure players like Samkon Gado but demonstrating a command and knowledge of the full market of players.

For those of you who think Ted Thompson is cheap, well finding these players early does allow the team to sign them to reasonable contracts(Donald Lee).

It is knowing more about who is out there before the other teams learn it.

True.

But, when you try to outthink 31 other teams, it makes you wonder.

There's nothing wrong with good scouting.

But in the end, the player has to show a command of championship NFL football. Just "playing" doesn't mean the player is a championship-level NFL performer. The goal is the championship, no?

While a small elbow in the ribs at Thompson, this, and other threads, will show there's players out there whom the mainstream media types have no clue.

The question remains whether they will become NFL championship level players.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just a different take on the same data.

Like all GM's he has made his share of mistakes. Manuel, cutting Roman before anyone had beat him out, signing David Martin etc. Many here forget Wolf's errors. In the draft he knows some will not succeed so he seeks more picks.

Ted is very good with finding marginal talent that turns into depth and potential to work into good players.

Signing of Woodson demonstrated some flexibility and willingness to spend when absolutely required.

By next year he may have the team back to where it was before he took over.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Letting Roman go was said to be a move for Roman who wanted to be cut so he could have a chance to get picked up by another team. I wouldn't say letting him (Roman) go was a mistake.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line, the secondary as a whole sucked for much of the year and came on strong later. And Manuel did improve with the rest of the secondary. He is still the weak link and will probably be overtaken by Marviel Underwood next year.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
do you think the signing of Marquand Manual was a mistake?

Good gawd can we get off of the manuel signing? Yes it was a mistake. He didn't play well. Dear Gawd a GM isn't perfect what else is new? Turns out Woodson and Pickett were both GREAT pickups. Seattle went to the SB last year and wasted money on burelson and branch. Every teams front office will make mistakes.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
relax. I'm not bashing Ted Thompson. i actually am pretty happy with him. I was responding Zero's comment about letting Roman go not being a mistake. i don't know what that has to do with Pickett or Woodson. take a xanax and relax.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All GM's make good and bad picks. (Except Matt Millen.......all his are bad!!!LOLOL!!!)
We of course have the luxery of hindsight. We see who pans out, and who bombs. Alot of teams (GB included) passed on Barry Sanders. Alot passed on Brett Favre too. I bet all those guys wish THEY would have made the right calls back then.
The Bears took Cade McNown!~Look how HE turned out!
(Just had to bring that name up for our Bears fans here!) :thumbsup: :rotflmao:

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Like all GM's (TT)....has made his share of mistakes....

Interesting comment Cheez..do you mean where Sherman had them..?
:thumbsup:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just interested that this is the first time Ted takes a running back while a Packer GM...certainly everybody says Marshawn Lynch (and we all said Chad Jackson before the pick was traded last year) stay tuned...I'm interested to see what/where he looks in for a new running back, because whether first round or not, we're gonna draft one

Garrett Wolfe from Northern Illinois(?) is one who might be considered, he'll never start in the NFL but he's quick and could be a Darren Sproles type...I also like two of the late-declarees, OSU's Antonio Pittman and Nebraska's Brandon Jackson, give them time to develop under Ahman who will hopefully be back for a few more seasons

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

Sherman as a GM had them regressing badly.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realized posters have decided for their own reasons to continue to "beat up" on Mike Sherman on Packer Forums for mistakes, they think that Mike Sherman made during is his career with the Packers. It is easy to "Monday morning QB" every single move a GM/ HC made years after they know how things turned out .

I could never understand why some posters on Packer forums chose to "beat up" Mike Sherman for over two years and make it personal by calling him names. He has been fired by the Packers and is with the Texans as their assist HC. Lets get on with Packer future and put the past to rest.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realized posters have decided for their own reasons to continue to "beat up" on Mike Sherman on Packer Forums for mistakes, they think that Mike Sherman made during is his career with the Packers. It is easy to "Monday morning QB" every single move a GM/ HC made years after they know how things turned out .

I could never understand why some posters on Packer forums chose to "beat up" Mike Sherman for over two years and make it personal by calling him names. He has been fired by the Packers and is with the Texans as their assist HC. Lets get on with Packer future and put the past to rest.

Is it just me, or did anyone else read "put the past to rest" and just love so much that it came from the site historian of all people? You cannot make this stuff up.

PWT, I promise that wasn't a slight at you. :)

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins was found at the senior bowl, he wasn't just some esoteric draft pick, most teams in the league had seen him and knew he could play, that's why TT picked him in the second round.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

Really?

Three division titles...playoffs...Ted arrives and they go 4-12. Sounds like "progression" to me.

What all Sherman-haters refuse to acknowledge is the team regressed under Ray Rhodes, was rebuilt by Sherman, and has been turned over again by Thompson. The last winning season turned in by the Packers was three years ago under Sherman. They were also in the playoffs.

Since most of you live by fantasy football rules, why not simply look at this way: Sherman's philosophy of paying and playing veterans wasn't the direction the Packers wanted to go. Ted's philosophy of drafting rookies and hoping for quick results so far is 12-20, against some of the league's weaker competition.

The eternal damning of Sherman is as off-base as the endless praise of Thompson and his current 'rebuilding'. "The team had no core players" said Ted. That insults: Brett Favre, Donald Driver, William Henderson, Bubba Franks, Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Mike Flanagan(now gone) Ahman Green, Mike Wahle(now gone) Marco Rivera(now gone). Several of those players are Pro Bowlers on offense. On defense, KGB(Pro Bowler) Nick Barnett, Al Harris, and a couple of others. The defense needed an infusion of talent which was obvious. Throw in Longwell and a couple of others and you have the makings of a ridiculous analysis by Thompson. Most of those players...which represent no core to Thompson...are players either signed, traded for, or drafted by Sherman. The veteran signings of
Sherman are never included in the mix in the damning of Sherman.

I don't condemn Thompson for his wanting a change at coach. Most GM's want that. I condemn Bob Harlan first for not having the stones to fire Sherman if he wasn't doing the job in his eyes, then setting Sherman up with a guy who he knew off the bat wouldn't see things like Sherman.

Sherman's mistakes have been ****-analyzed here and other places ad nauseum. All I would ask(since he's been gone now for more than a season) to at least acknowledge that the Packers were winners in his time here and Ted Thompson doesn't walk on water and everything he says and does isn't word from the scriptures.

Marquand Manuel anyone? Or doesn't that count in the same catagory as Joe Johnson?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cory said:
P@ck66 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

Really?

Three division titles...playoffs...Ted arrives and they go 4-12. Sounds like "progression" to me.

Regressing means ... getting worse and there is NO QUESTION that the Packers were losing the edge they once had while "winning" three division tittles. If the Packers were on the up and up, why would Bob Harlan mess with the way the staff was? ie, bringing in a GM splitting the roles of HC/GM? Why? Because it was not working! The team was regressing under GM/HC Mike Sherman. The Packers were quickly becoming a 'has been' team.

Sherman used Free Agents more than Ted because SHERMAN DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO DRAFT!! lol

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:

P@ck66 said:
Treated unfairly Bruce? How is that? By giving this guy millions of dollars to perform horribly at the greatest job in the world...We should all shed a tear for poor, poor Mike Sherman...who has been treated so shabbily by the Packer organization.....maybe he should have "held out" this year...and tried to force the Packers to respect him......

This guy Sherman is the luckiest **** on the planet....(he should be arrested every time he goes to cash his pay check!)

Despite Bruce's bootlick revisionist history.....

Sherman took a talented Packer team and....

1. Totally decimated the defense...which has been a JOKE for the past 6 years.

2. Made many horrible draft choices as GM..and overpaid for average talent...thereby strapping the Pack under the cap for years to come...

3. Engaged in RAMPANT cronyism...hiring "Buddies"....Rossely, Slowick, etc...even though they sucked...didn't know what they were doing..and couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag....

4. Turned the Lambeau mystique into a running joke....nobody's afraid to come into Lambeau field anymore...way to lose at home..MIkey..

5. Has a horrible playoff record (2-4) and never took the Pack to the NFC championship game in 6 years...let alone..the SB...

6. Makes terrible game time decisions...and CHOKES badly in big games...

Bruce..if it wasn't for Favre...we'd all be saying Mike who..? Because he wouldn't have lasted for 2 years, with the Pack....

Way to go TT..i have now lost all respect for you if this is true..and you extended this loser's contract....if Favre retires this year...get ready Packer fans, because Sherman's returning us to the 1970's....

get your bumper stickers ready....

Mike Sherman--returning the Pack to mediocrity!
(Which is where we must like it! especially Bruce, net, digs, etc..etc...)

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
CaliforniaCheez said:

P@ck66 said:
Treated unfairly Bruce? How is that? By giving this guy millions of dollars to perform horribly at the greatest job in the world...We should all shed a tear for poor, poor Mike Sherman...who has been treated so shabbily by the Packer organization.....maybe he should have "held out" this year...and tried to force the Packers to respect him......

This guy Sherman is the luckiest **** on the planet....(he should be arrested every time he goes to cash his pay check!)

Despite Bruce's bootlick revisionist history.....

Sherman took a talented Packer team and....

1. Totally decimated the defense...which has been a JOKE for the past 6 years.

2. Made many horrible draft choices as GM..and overpaid for average talent...thereby strapping the Pack under the cap for years to come...

3. Engaged in RAMPANT cronyism...hiring "Buddies"....Rossely, Slowick, etc...even though they sucked...didn't know what they were doing..and couldn't coach their way out of a paper bag....

4. Turned the Lambeau mystique into a running joke....nobody's afraid to come into Lambeau field anymore...way to lose at home..MIkey..

5. Has a horrible playoff record (2-4) and never took the Pack to the NFC championship game in 6 years...let alone..the SB...

6. Makes terrible game time decisions...and CHOKES badly in big games...

Bruce..if it wasn't for Favre...we'd all be saying Mike who..? Because he wouldn't have lasted for 2 years, with the Pack....

Way to go TT..i have now lost all respect for you if this is true..and you extended this loser's contract....if Favre retires this year...get ready Packer fans, because Sherman's returning us to the 1970's....

get your bumper stickers ready....

Mike Sherman--returning the Pack to mediocrity!
(Which is where we must like it! especially Bruce, net, digs, etc..etc...)

classic!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What all Sherman-haters refuse to acknowledge is the team regressed under Ray Rhodes, was rebuilt by Sherman, and has been turned over again by Thompson. The last winning season turned in by the Packers was three years ago under Sherman. They were also in the playoffs.

Since most of you live by fantasy football rules, why not simply look at this way: Sherman's philosophy of paying and playing veterans wasn't the direction the Packers wanted to go. Ted's philosophy of drafting rookies and hoping for quick results so far is 12-20, against some of the league's weaker competition.

The eternal damning of Sherman is as off-base as the endless praise of Thompson and his current 'rebuilding'. "The team had no core players" said Ted. That insults: Brett Favre, Donald Driver, William Henderson, Bubba Franks, Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Mike Flanagan(now gone) Ahman Green, Mike Wahle(now gone) Marco Rivera(now gone). Several of those players are Pro Bowlers on offense. On defense, KGB(Pro Bowler) Nick Barnett, Al Harris, and a couple of others. The defense needed an infusion of talent which was obvious. Throw in Longwell and a couple of others and you have the makings of a ridiculous analysis by Thompson. Most of those players...which represent no core to Thompson...are players either signed, traded for, or drafted by Sherman. The veteran signings of

I don't condemn Thompson for his wanting a change at coach. Most GM's want that. I condemn Bob Harlan first for not having the stones to fire Sherman if he wasn't doing the job in his eyes, then setting Sherman up with a guy who he knew off the bat wouldn't see things like Sherman.

Sherman's mistakes have been ****-analyzed here and other places ad nauseum. All I would ask(since he's been gone now for more than a season) to at least acknowledge that the Packers were winners in his time here and Ted Thompson doesn't walk on water and everything he says and does isn't word from the scriptures.

Marquand Manuel anyone? Or doesn't that count in the same catagory as Joe Johnson?

Rebuilt by Sherman???? Look up and down the rosters of those 3 divsion champs and playoff teams. Those players were brought in by Ron Wolf. I agree that people don't give enough credit to Sherman the Head Coach but Sherman the GM was as bad as people make him out to be.

That insults: Brett Favre, Donald Driver, William Henderson, Bubba Franks, Chad Clifton, Mark Tauscher, Mike Flanagan(now gone) Ahman Green, Mike Wahle(now gone) Marco Rivera(now gone). Several of those players are Pro Bowlers on offense. On defense, KGB(Pro Bowler) Nick Barnett, Al Harris, and a couple of others. The defense needed an infusion of talent which was obvious. Throw in Longwell and a couple of others and you have the makings of a ridiculous analysis by Thompson. Most of those players...which represent no core to Thompson...are players either signed, traded for, or drafted by Sherman. The veteran signings of

You are completely wrong. The only players Mike Sherman drafted or brought in himself from that list are Nick Barnett and Al Harris. That's it!! Ron Wolf drafted all of those guys. Sherman gave some contract extensions but he didn't draft or "discover" them. Credit Ron Wolf for building the core of that team.

Brett Favre - Traded for by Ron Wolf
Ahman Green - Traded for by Ron Wolf (His last year as GM actually)
Williams Henderson - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Donald Driver - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Mike Wahle - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Marco Rivera - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Mike Flanagan - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Mark Tauscher - Drafted by Ron Wolf
KGB - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Ryan Longwell - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Al Harris - Traded for by Mike Sherman
Nick Barnett - Drafted by Mike Sherman
Darren Sharper - Drafted by Ron Wolf
Mike McKenzie - Drafted by Ron Wolf

To say Sherman is responsible for bring in those players is not a fact. He was able to keep players that was brought in by Ron Wolf. A lot of those players were Packers before Mike Sherman even got here.

Good Coach. Bad GM. That's how I'd lable Sherman.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman played only for the year he was in...always trying to squeeze one more Super Bowl out of #4...and in doing so, he traded away the future and left a team with no depth across the board, and little talent at many positions...especially LBs.

I simply do not understand why people cannot get a grasp on the fact that the replacements we are now scrambling for should have already been on the roster, developing for a couple years, so that they were ready when called upon. Sadly, GM Sherman threw them all away in his quest for that one player who would put him and his team over the top....you know, James Lee, Hunter Hillenmeyer (who was discarded to keep Torrance Marshall), Donnell Washington, Torrance Marshall...the list goes on.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When MS became HC we were as good as anyone and a top SB contender.
By the time he left we were as far away from SB contention as any team in the NFL.
Anyone in charge of anything that shows an obvious and substantial slide in the quality of performance such as this should get their *** canned.

Those of you that want to stop MS's contribution to the demise of this team prior to '05 are sleeping in la la land. You would like to conveniently put that turd over in TT's corner of the house when in reality the guy had just moved in. He didn't have any money or other means of causing change to hurt or help the '05 Packers.

So go ahead and start TT's engine with the '05 season although something like 19 of the 21 starters were Shermans players from the previous year.

The only thing TT had to do with it was his name was on the door.

For those that don't want to acknowledge the slide we were on starting in the early 2000's forward that's fine. But to say the train crash we saw in '05 is on TT is just a little more than any rational thinker can take.

When you don't DRAFT ANYBODY WORTH A CRAP in 4 or 5 years and make MISTAKE AFTER MISTAKE in FA during that same time your going to crash.

But like I said I guess because TT's name was on the door it's all on him.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And how can we forget Joey Thomas (whom many teams had removed from their boards) and Ahmad Carroll who was labeled immature and uncoachable....how prophetic! Robert Ferguson...hmmmm.

That is seven MS picks that should be in the prime of their careers...oh, yeah...one is WITH THE BEARS...so we could keep Marshall!

Members online

Latest posts