I own a website
Reaction score
Packers 4 - 12

2004 Division Title
  • Packers 10 - 6
    Vikings 8 - 8
    Lions 6 - 10
    Bears 5 - 11

Vikings lost 4 of their last 5 games of the season. One of them was lost to GB via a Ryan Longwell FG late in the game. Losses to Chicago, Seattle and Washington as well as the GB loss. There win came against Detroit.

The Vikings choked again.

Vikings knocked the Packers out of the playoffs in the first round with an embarrassing defeat.

2003 Division Title
  • Green Bay 10 6
    Minnesota 9 - 7
    Chicago 7 - 9
    Detroit 5 -11

Packers finished the season with a 4 game winning streak. The Vikings' 2003 season ended in heartbreak when a last-second score by the Arizona Cardinals in Week 17 pushed them out of the playoffs. The team started off winning their first six games but finished with seven losses in their last 10. Fixing that will be a primary concern for the team, as well as rekindling their hot start.

Vikings Choked, Packers get title.

Packers beat the Seahawks in OT via Al Harris INT return for a TD.
Packers lose to the Eagles in OT via Eagles FG.

That was the infamous 4th and 26 game.

From this information here I hardly have to say that Ted inherited a 'playoff' team.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO i agree with you, he didn't. I think we are just spoiled because of all the wins we have seen the last 15 years. I remember when we thought the season was good when we beat the Bears ONCE.
The bar has been set high because of the Packers success.
Fact is, we have won only ONE Super Bowl in the last 15 years.
I remember the playoff win over the Lions in Detroit. I was thrilled that we HAD a playoff game, and WON it. I didn't really expect more then that.
Now, if the Packers don't have a great season, half of the fans want to find someone to take their frustrations out on. So they start screaming to fire people.Ray "Dusty" Rhodes went 8-8 in his one and only year as head coach, and was fired. Of course the Packers were much more talented back then. They have been on the decline for years now. Their playoff showings (or lack there of) have proved that.
I don't like the fact that they look bad now, but we can moan and fight about it till the cows come home, and it won't change anything.
To me, to make almost every thread into a "TT or MM hate thread" just gets old after awhile. I mean, by now, we ALL know who hate who, and wants whoever fired, so why is it necessary to keep adding it into almost all threads?
I don't expect my ranting here to change anything, just wanted tp throw my 2 or 3 cents in.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
My goal isn't to make this Ted versus Sherman at all.

I jus got curious on the playoff team inheritence so I thought I would check it out.

It's great to say we are like back to back to back division champs or however many it is.

But now a days its only being better than THREE teams! THREE! And for awhile we were medicore winning games off Brett and our Running game, but coudn't make any push in the playoffs.

The exception, 2003. Gosh I think we could have went a lot farther if coaching was better. I think that was our best chance at the Super Bowl under Sherman.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah....i think alot of us thought that was going to ne "our" year. 4th and 26 took care of that.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Ted Inherited a Playoff Team!

You really have made the point.

2002 Brett was 2nd in MVP voting. Injuries in the final weeks of the season and several with flu the week of the playoff game hurt the playoff chances.

2003 they had even a better shot even though Brett had a broken thumb on his throwing hand. Getting past Philly to the NFC championship-who knows.

2004 after 2 wins against the vikings messed up at home. Not as likely a year but still good enough.

Thompson Arrives
2005 The team was more competitive than the record. Many close games. Still the record had them as one of the worst teams in the NFL. I generally liked the effort.

McCarthy Arrives
2006 The bottom has fallen out. The team and staff is very green. Shottenhiemer is back.

Is it correlation or cause and effect?

You can't change the facts only how you look at them.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
While we're going turning back the clock here, let's go back to SB years.

I mean heck. Let's just say Ted inherited a SB team with that logic.

Facts are facts. Those who want to see them sugar coated, can.

I'm not going to. The Packers were going DOWN after the 03 loss to the Eagles.

Sherman could thank Ted for canning him and saving his high percentage winning record because this team was going down in flames. It doesn't take a genius to see that.

Oh no wait. Wahle would have been resigned so we would have had a running game which then we wouldn't have lost 12 games.

We owe the Vikings a huge thanks for the last two division titles. They choked our way into it. I hate saying that because it hurts knowing that, but christ. Face the facts.

I don't even know why I try sometimes.

Reaction score
Nice opening post zero.

I believe that perhaps the 2004 Packers could have made a run, but the firing of ED and subsequent hire of a DC that ran a scheme which our players simply couldn't fit into sped the process to where the Packers are today.

That 03 season was something magical, having the players believe the SB was meant to be destiny. That was something I would forsee as possibly being a X factor, a degree of confidence which cannot be achieved easily.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People tend to read into stats what they want to read into them. Some people say we weren't as good as our records in 2003 & 2004 indicate. Some people say we weren't as bad as our 2005 record indicates. Personally, I feel teams are exactly what their record indicates.

Every year teams make decisions based on their schedule, caliber of opponents, injuries, team strengths & weaknesses, etc. So their win/loss record is a reflection of how well they did based on all those factors.

And teams play the regular season with one goal in mind, to get into the playoffs. Because you can't get to the Super Bowl if you don't make it into the playoffs. Once there anything can happen, but if you're not there nothing can happen.

You ask if Ted inherited a playoff team, unless you want to lie to yourself ( and please feel free to do so if you wish) the answer is yes because the Packers made it to the playoffs the preceding four years. If you ask whether they were a Super Bowl team those years the answer is no, because they never made it to the Super Bowl any of those years.

Last year, regardless of how you look at it the Packers were a 4-12 team. This year, the Packers will be what their final record shows they are.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Yea. Lie. The Vikings didn't choke.

Yeah, I guess you're right and the NFL records are all wrong. The Packers didn't make it to the playoffs that year.

You can't have it both ways Z2C. Every year teams make it to the playoffs because other teams choked, but that doesn't mean they didn't deserve to. They did what they had to and it worked that year, and in some instances those teams even make it to the Super Bowl.

Nobody cares about the excuses for why some teams make it and some teams don't. That is unless they're trying to make something seem like something different than what it really is.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:

Facts are facts. Those who want see them sugar coated, can.

Sherman could thank Ted for canning him and saving his high percentage winning record because this team was going down in flames. It doesn't take a genius to see that.

Oh no wait. Wahle would have been resigned so we would have had a running game which then we wouldn't have lost 12 games.

We owe the Vikings a huge thanks for the last two division titles. They choked our way into it. I hate saying that because it hurts knowing that, but christ. Face the facts.

Ilt must be fun to live in a make believe world that says playoffs really aren't playoffs and losing seasons (4 - 12) aren't really losing seasons.

You ask what if Ted had inherited a Super Bowl team?

That is some interesting lack of logic you are following there.

I hope you are not implying that Sherman did, because if you are you are again demonstrating how young you are. In 1998, Holmgren quit on the team and they were one and done in the Playoffs (at home) against SF. In 1999 they were a mess and struggled to get to .500 and did not sniff the playoffs.

The Packers changed direction under Sherman -- going 9 - 7, 12 - 4, 12 - 4, 10 - 6, 10 -6. That is the team that TT inherited. An offense that had the top offense in the NFC -- yards and scoring.

An offense with a Hall of Fame QB, an All-Pro HB who was the top rusher of the century (with decent depth behind him), a Pro Bowl FB (who should have been their sooner) two WR who had played in Pro Bowls (Driver and Walker) and a third who was developing but had just come off of a serious injury in Ferguson. A TE in Bubba Franks who made it to the Pro Bowl most seasons, Two good Tackles in Clifton and Rivera, two guards who were Pro Bowl talent players in Wahle and Rivera and a Center (Flanagan) who made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

Yeah, I don't know why you try so hard either, because despite your efforts to ignore the facts they still are right there. Top offense in the conference and 9 or 11 players who have played in Pro Bowls on offense.
Poor Teddy? I don't think so!

The one sensible thing you said in your post was - "Facts are facts. Those who want see them sugar coated, can." And it is very obvious that you have quite the sweet tooth

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
Zero2Cool said:

Facts are facts. Those who want see them sugar coated, can.

Ilt must be fun to live in a make believe world that says playoffs really aren't playoffs and losing seasons (4 - 12) aren't really losing seasons.

You ask what if Ted had inherited a Super Bowl team?

That is some interesting lack of logic you are following there.

I hope you are not implying that Sherman did, because if you are you are again demonstrating how young you are. In 1998, Holmgren quit on the team and they were one and done in the Playoffs (at home) against SF. In 1999 they were a mess and struggled to get to .500 and did not sniff the playoffs.

The Packers changed direction under Sherman -- going 9 - 7, 12 - 4, 12 - 4, 10 - 6, 10 -6. That is the team that TT inherited. An offense that had the top offense in the NFC -- yards and scoring.

An offense with a Hall of Fame QB, an All-Pro HB who was the top rusher of the century (with decent depth behind him), a Pro Bowl FB (who should have been their sooner) two WR who had played in Pro Bowls (Driver and Walker) and a third who was developing but had just come off of a serious injury in Ferguson. A TE in Bubba Franks who made it to the Pro Bowl most seasons, Two good Tackles in Clifton and Rivera, two guards who were Pro Bowl talent players in Wahle and Rivera and a Center (Flanagan) who made it to the Pro Bowl as an alternate.

Yeah, I don't know why you try so hard either, because despite your efforts to ignore the facts they still are right there. Top offense in the conference and 9 or 11 players who have played in Pro Bowls on offense.
Poor Teddy? I don't think so!

The one sensible thing you said in your post was - "Facts are facts. Those who want see them sugar coated, can." And it is very obvious that you have quite the sweet tooth

My thoughts exactly Bruce, that was quite hypocritical. Zero seems to be the one sugar coating. Excellent FACT BASED post, Bruce

Oh Yeah......Ted Thompson is Great!

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lare said:
Zero2Cool said:

Yeah, I guess you're right and the NFL records are all wrong. The Packers didn't make it to the playoffs that year.

You can't have it both ways Z2C. Every year teams make it to the playoffs because other teams choked, but that doesn't mean they didn't deserve to. They did what they had to and it worked that year, and in some instances those teams even make it to the Super Bowl.

Nobody cares about the excuses for why some teams make it and some teams don't. That is unless they're trying to make something seem like something different than what it really is.

Just because a team makes the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean they are a playoff caliber team. That's what this thread is about. It's about looking past the record and looking at the roster. :roll:

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Gotta love ignorance!! heh ;)

Yes as this gentlemen stated.

ahaug82 said:
Lare said:
Zero2Cool said:

Just because a team makes the playoffs doesn't necessarily mean they are a playoff caliber team. That's what this thread is about. It's about looking past the record and looking at the roster. :roll:

is what my point is.

Yes we MADE the playoffs. But were we a playoff caliber team? Heck no. That showed the following year. We had massive injuries and no depth.

But that's all Teds fault right? He's the GM. He's supposed to fill the roster with talent and depth in his first off season because thats' how it works in the NFL now. You can jus come in and find magical players.

Ted had Sherman as his coach. Sherman brought in those players. Ted mistakenly did not re sign Wahle ... forget this ... I'm gonna let ignorance beat you.

TED DID NOT INHERIT A PLAYOFF CALIBER TEAM. He inherited a team that was on the decline and every Packer fan knows this which is evident because no one wants to admit it. We don't want to say 'our beloved team who was a force for over a decade is on the brink of Brown-dum' hell i hate to even think it, but lets be real here.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted inherited a Playoff team, because they were in the playoffs, plain and simple.

There are lots of less than spectacular plaoyoff teams that make the playoffs every year.

Case in point, the Steelers limped into the playoffs last year. Its all about giving yourself a chance. I can tell you you WON'T make the Super Bowl without getting to the Playoffs......odd huh?

Whatever the case TT did not inherit a 4-12 team by any means

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
facts are facts,fact is we went into playoffs because we were a decent team vikings their chance because they get big heads our problem was we never got past our 1st game because coaches laked in playing scheme look at the colts won all of their games last year but 2 excuse me had the by week just to come back and lose to the steelers,who if you ask the seahawks they should have won the s.b. becuase of poor refering they lost so point is like everyone said you can get into playoffs which is fine but then you need to do your best to get to the s.b. which we did not do i think some times they took some games for granted.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packerfan4ever said:
facts are facts,fact is we went into playoffs because we were a decent team vikings their chance because they get big heads our problem was we never got past our 1st game because coaches laked in playing scheme look at the colts won all of their games last year but 2 excuse me had the by week just to come back and lose to the steelers,who if you ask the seahawks they should have won the s.b. becuase of poor refering they lost so point is like everyone said you can get into playoffs which is fine but then you need to do your best to get to the s.b. which we did not do i think some times they took some games for granted.

Is that one sentence?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Case in point, the Steelers limped into the playoffs last year. Its all about giving yourself a chance. I can tell you you WON'T make the Super Bowl without getting to the Playoffs......odd huh?

The Steelers did not limp into the playoffs last year. They won their last 4. They were 7-5 and in the thick of the race and won 4 in a row and made the playoffs at 11-5.

Limping into the playoffs is what the 2005 Vikings did in which they lost their last 2 games to Green Bay and Washingon.

Pittsburgh charged their way into the playoffs and were able to keep it up and win the Super Bowl.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Ted inherited a Playoff team, because they were in the playoffs, plain and simple.

Whatever the case TT did not inherit a 4-12 team by any means

ROFL... you don't even deserve a rebuttle with silliness of that nature...

Think of going to the Super Bowl like climbing a mountain. No one just hops right over it. You have to take it step by step.

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
........Limping into the playoffs is what the 2005 Vikings did in which they lost their last 2 games to Green Bay and Washingon.......

The Vikings did not make the playoffs in 2005
You must be refering to the Playoffs in 2004. when the Vikings lost their last two regular season games to the Packers and the Redskins.

They "limped" into the playoffs that year?
By the way, I forgot, which team did the "limping" Vikings soundly thrash in the 1st round of the 2004 playoffs?

IMO, Z2C, is just expressing his thoughts with a different perspective.
If you are young Z2C, even if I don't agree with you, I believe that you have some good thoughts.
Dance to the beat of your own drum!

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ahaug82 said:
Lare said:
Zero2Cool said:

How did they get in the playoffs then?

Oh..it must have been because of a much maligned Packer player of late named Brett Favre! And because of Mike Sherman. I have to admit, I'm not the biggest Sherman fan because I don't think he ever provided Favre with enough receiving talent--always drafted rookies instead of going after FA WR's, but compared to what TT is doing, I would have to say that Sherman is a decidedly better GM.

This myth that TT didn't inherit a playoff caliber team is funny. People will bend over backwards on this site and create elaborate fantasies to defend TT.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts