Ted has a reason to sign free agents today

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Being may 12th, teams now can sign FAs without impacting their comp picks. (At least that's my understanding).

Are there any FAs out there currently you would like to see Ted sign?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Spikes was rumored early in FA process as a good fit in GB, so it surprises me that they haven't had him in for a visit.

One can only conclude that TT doesn't see him as a good fit/value or Spikes doesn't want to play in GB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
there are a bunch of other teams that don't seem to have a ton of interest in him either

D

Deleted member 6794

there are a bunch of other teams that don't seem to have a ton of interest in him either

He has had some visits including with the Vikings and the Patriots but it seems he´s still asking for too much money.

H

HardRightEdge

He has had some visits including with the Vikings and the Patriots but it seems he´s still asking for too much money.
He visited the Pats?! After tweeting that his first 4 years in the league at New England were "four years a slave"?

I guess nobody wanting to meet his contract demands changed his outlook.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been reluctant to believe that Ted avoids signing free agents because they might cost him the 210th pick in the draft. It doesn't make sense to go into free agency and think, "hey this guy might help this year but he could cost me a fifth round pick NEXT year so I can draft a player with a 20% chance of making an impact in three years." (and yes, I'm aware the 210th pick is in the sixth round, I just used fifth round as an example)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Let's face it, Ted's shoes squeak when he blinks......not saying that is a bad thing. :coffee:

Last edited:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always been reluctant to believe that Ted avoids signing free agents because they might cost him the 210th pick in the draft. It doesn't make sense to go into free agency and think, "hey this guy might help this year but he could cost me a fifth round pick NEXT year so I can draft a player with a 20% chance of making an impact in three years." (and yes, I'm aware the 210th pick is in the sixth round, I just used fifth round as an example)

Add to that the fact he has said it doesn't factor in his decision and I have a tendency to agree with you. Not that Ted is always all that forthcoming when it comes to matters such as this.

If Ted thinks the guy will improve the team and can be signed for the right price he will sign him and not worry about losing the comp pick next year.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has as REASON to sign few agents every yr but he doesn't. He will overpay for one of his guys vs signing free agents.. Thats a FACT.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has as REASON to sign few agents every yr but he doesn't. He will overpay for one of his guys vs signing free agents.. Thats a FACT.
yeah, what an idiot. We could let Nelson, Cobb and Bulaga walk and sign a Suh. Great deal?!?!

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Patriots released CB Kyle Arrington..I know we drafted a lot of DB's...but first thing I thought about when I seen him released, was that is a TT type signing. He's also a boundary CB.

D

Deleted member 6794

Anyway, at this juncture I'd be shocked if the Packers signed him. I think the Ryan pick closed the door on that possibility.

I´m not sure about that. The Packers still don´t have any depth at the position.

Patriots released CB Kyle Arrington..I know we drafted a lot of DB's...but first thing I thought about when I seen him released, was that is a TT type signing. He's also a boundary CB.

Arrington mostly played in the slot last season and doesn´t have the talent to start on the outside. Not interested in him at all.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not what I meant.. Those were good signings but what do you say a out Hawk, And Burnett!?

Hawk was an expensive 2 down LB...but he was also one of the steadiest 2 down LBs. For that same money it'd been nice to grab a true 3 down backer but if I remember right there wasn't one available for that same contract.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
...and if he overpaid a FA you'd be pig piling on top of TT again. We get it, you don't like him but don't distort the truth. Yes those things have happened but TT doesn't set out to overpay re-signed players. You insinuate that it's his strategic plan. You are flat out wrong.

Back to Spikes. I wouldn't be surprised if he is brought into the mix. Thompson knows that he has depth issues there and he's never been afraid of competition. Many players that he's brought in or drafted have said that they were surprised, because the Packers showed no interest before signing them.

Joe Nor Cal Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly not in the case of Cobb or Bulaga. And he let Williams and House walk rather than overpay. But he did overpay for Brad Jones and maybe Shields and Burnett. But a general statement that he overlays his guys is not accurate.

H

HardRightEdge

I´m not sure about that. The Packers still don´t have any depth at the position.
I agree that the names at ILB represent a lot of question marks. I would have preferred Kendricks or Anthony at #30.

However, Ryan/Barrington has a lot of similarities to Hawk/Bishop. I believe that's the profile they're going for, even if the lack of experience might prove less productive than the 2010 combination. Then there's Matthews' return engagement at ILB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's not what I meant.. Those were good signings but what do you say a out Hawk, And Burnett!?
Hawk was fine. A very good and dependable player. He didn't break any banks and when he was too expensive, he was cut and re-signed. I thought Burnett was playing himself into a nice contract. Then we paired him with the worst complimentary safeties in the leage and he looked horrid. I thought they made a mistake. Last year he was greatly improved again and for the money, I think he earned it. I expect him to grow again this year actually.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Certainly not in the case of Cobb or Bulaga. And he let Williams and House walk rather than overpay. But he did overpay for Brad Jones and maybe Shields and Burnett. But a general statement that he overlays his guys is not accurate.
Yes, the Jones signing didn't really work out. It seemed to make sense at the time, but really fizzled shortly after. I chalk that up to not being able to win them all, ,and it's not as if it was a blockbuster deal. Too much yes, but not all that damaging

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, the Jones signing didn't really work out. It seemed to make sense at the time, but really fizzled shortly after. I chalk that up to not being able to win them all, ,and it's not as if it was a blockbuster deal. Too much yes, but not all that damaging

I'm sorry, but the contract the Packers signed Brad Jones to never made any sense to anybody at any point.

Members online

Latest posts