Ted can draft WRs...

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
??? if you're going to judge GM's on their 6th and 7th rounders I think you'll find most fail almost all the time.

Cory Rodgers was a 4th round and David Clowney a 5th.

I never said TT was terrible at evaluating and drafting WR's, I just don't agree that he is some sort of WR draft guru just because he drafted Jordy and Cobb. Hitting on 2nd and 3rd rounders is pretty normal......hitting on later rounds tells me you knew something that nobody else did.

Someone saying that he hit on Murphy, Adams or Montgomery doesn't do anything to sway my opinion.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cobb is coming off an injury and a bad year. His trade value is lower at the moment than it would normally be. Bad time to trade him. Buy low, sell high.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory Rodgers was a 4th round and David Clowney a 5th.

I never said TT was terrible at evaluating and drafting WR's, I just don't agree that he is some sort of WR draft guru just because he drafted Jordy and Cobb. Hitting on 2nd and 3rd rounders is pretty normal......hitting on later rounds tells me you knew something that nobody else did.

Someone saying that he hit on Murphy, Adams or Montgomery doesn't do anything to sway my opinion.
and Jones and Jennings. and hitting on pretty much every 2nd and 3rd round WR is not pretty normal. only have to look at the same draft we took jennings to see that. The WR EVERYBODY wanted and we moved away from and NE took, proves that.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm secretly hoping we sign a FA ILB and TE and draft Corey Coleman at pick #27.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Took a while because I didn't know who everybody wanted, but I assume Chad Jackson. If anywhere along the line, excuses have been made for someone due to injury, a quick read on this kid would excuse a lot of his failure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
only have to look at the same draft we took jennings to see that. The WR EVERYBODY wanted and we moved away from and NE took, proves that.

Not sure who you are talking about, but maybe it was Brandon Marshall who Denver took in the 4th at #119, but we had already selected Cory Rodgers at #104?

and proves what?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Took a while because I didn't know who everybody wanted, but I assume Chad Jackson. If anywhere along the line, excuses have been made for someone due to injury, a quick read on this kid would excuse a lot of his failure.

But if someone is going to include Terrence Murphy as a successful pick, wouldn't you have to include Chad Jackson? :coffee:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Mondio, post: 655429, member: 10441"only have to look at the same draft we took jennings to see that. The WR EVERYBODY wanted and we moved away from and NE took, proves that.

Not sure who you are talking about, but maybe it was Brandon Marshall who Denver took in the 4th at #119, but we had already selected Cory Rodgers at #104?[/QUOTE]
really? I'm guessing you weren't a Packer fan in 06 when we picked Greg Jennings and everyone was pissed because we could have had Chad Jackson. Greg Who? you must have missed for some odd reason.

So do you just want to argue? or do you really honestly feel Ted isn't good at Drafting WR's? Go back thru the last 10 years and show me a GM that has consistently found WR's in the draft when they needed them. you'll find most teams have found 1, maybe 2 in that time frame and most of those were 1st round picks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But if someone is going to include Terrence Murphy as a successful pick, wouldn't you have to include Chad Jackson? :coffee:
Why? I never saw Chad Jackson show anything that Murphy did. The kid was all hype and zero production. I didn't say Murphy was an all star, but anybody watching the Packers back then could see this kid had talent. Fine, take him completely out of the equation. You're still left with Jordy, Jones, Jennings, Cobb. Find me another GM that has consistently drafted that WR talent picking near the ends of rounds 2 and 3

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Not sure who you are talking about, but maybe it was Brandon Marshall who Denver took in the 4th at #119, but we had already selected Cory Rodgers at #104?and proves what?
The Packers traded pick #36 to new England for #52 Jennings and #75 Jason Spitz. New England selected Chad Jackson at #36. (Sorry I wrote this post and was interrupted by a phone call before posting it. As to what this proves, it proves Thompson made a good trade.)

Pokerbrat2000, did you see Terrance Murphy play?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So do you just want to argue? or do you really honestly feel Ted isn't good at Drafting WR's?

LOL......I'm not arguing I am discussing. There is a difference between good and "pretty dang good" which is what the OP said about TT and his ability to draft WR's and I disagreed with. Maybe just semantics, but I do think your opinion of the 15 WR's that TT has drafted and mine just happen to differ slightly as to how they would classify TT's history of drafting WR's. I would probably want to also include all of the UDFA and PS WR's that TT has signed, but that just complicates things and wasn't what the OP was referring to.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Pokerbrat2000, did you see Terrance Murphy play?

I definitely saw him play, I never miss a preseason Packer game. Like many players before and after him, Terrance showed a lot of promise, but we will never know how that would have equated to regular season games over a career.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
But then dismissing Jennings and Jones makes no sense to me. Jennings foolishly went to a team with QBs who ranked 25th and 28th in QB rating in '13; 22nd in '14 and all the way up to 21st in '15 with the Dolphins. What would his numbers have looked like with an average - or above average passing QB?

I'm not dismissing Jones and Jennings as bad picks at all. But, if you are going to say they could have been even better had the teams they went to had a better QB, do you mean they would have been better players or their stats would have been better? It's no secret that both AR and Favre have made some pretty average WR's look better in the stats department, but those WR's moved on and showed that they were just that, average.

So do you credit TT or Favre and AR with the success of our WR's over the last 20+ years? I will let you decide for yourself.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL......I'm not arguing I am discussing. There is a difference between good and "pretty dang good" which is what the OP said about TT and his ability to draft WR's and I disagreed with. Maybe just semantics, but I do think your opinion of the 15 WR's that TT has drafted and mine just happen to differ slightly as to how they would classify TT's history of drafting WR's. I would probably want to also include all of the UDFA and PS WR's that TT has signed, but that just complicates things and wasn't what the OP was referring to.
Fair enough,argue, discuss, debate, deliberate, dispute, whatever you want to call it,, a couple of us have asked who's better? We can all agree he's not perfect, since that's out of the equation, there must be more that are doing it better than he is, for him not to be considered one of the best in terms of getting WR's for this team or a team in general. I look around and I don't see any GM's doing a much better job restocking WR's than Ted. You must, since it's your position in your discussion that there are?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not dismissing Jones and Jennings as bad picks at all. But, if you are going to say they could have been even better had the teams they went to had a better QB, do you mean they would have been better players or their stats would have been better? It's no secret that both AR and Favre have made some pretty average WR's look better in the stats department, but those WR's moved on and showed that they were just that, average.

So do you credit TT or Favre and AR with the success of our WR's over the last 20+ years? I will let you decide for yourself.
It's not an either or, it takes 2 to tango. If Greg Jennings doesn't have a pass he can catch and run with, he's not putting up the numbers and if Aaron Rodgers doesn't have a WR that he can hit in stride and will make defenders look silly as he runs around them, his numbers aren't looking so good either. I don't know how anyone could watch that combination and not see they both helped each other greatly. Same for Jordy, he's different, but in a lot of ways the same. Very smooth fluid runner that can run all the routes and make all the catches, then run for a lot of yards after catch or contact.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm not dismissing Jones and Jennings as bad picks at all. But, if you are going to say they could have been even better had the teams they went to had a better QB, do you mean they would have been better players or their stats would have been better? It's no secret that both AR and Favre have made some pretty average WR's look better in the stats department, but those WR's moved on and showed that they were just that, average. So do you credit TT, Favre or AR with the success of our WR's over the last 20+ years? I will let you be the judge.
I'm saying if Jennings went to a team with a better passing attack you may not be able to use him as an example. And Jones did pretty well in Oakland, didn't he? IMO Favre and Rodgers "making WRs" is over done. How good did Rodgers make the WRs look this season? So I give Thompson credit for his record acquiring WRs, I give Rodgers credit for being an extraordinarily accurate QB and I also give the WRs themselves credit for their talent and effort.

Since an evaluation of Thompson's record acquiring WRs is relative to other GMs, which GMs do you view as doing a 'pretty dang good' job at drafting WRs?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since an evaluation of Thompson's record acquiring WRs is relative to other GMs, which GMs do you view as doing a 'pretty dang good' job at drafting WRs?
I look around and I don't see any GM's doing a much better job restocking WR's than Ted. You must, since it's your position in your discussion that there are?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Is it just me ? Sorry Amish, I don`t understand the point :cautious:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My interpretation would be that somebody was asked (at least these two instances) to name a GM that drafts WRs better than TT, and it's so quiet one can hear the crickets. However, I was wrong once before, so who knows?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Since i don't keep track of other teams GM's or who has been in charge of drafting, I don't have answers for you. If you compile a list of GM's in the history of the NFL and what WR's they drafted during their tenure, I am more then happy to give you my opinion on how I think each one of them did. Of course it will also help to know about injuries, the QB's and the rest of the offense as well.

If you want to know what teams I feel have done a better or equally good of job with WR's that they either drafted or brought in as UDFA in the past 10 years, I would have to say Pittsburgh, Seattle, New Orleans and Philadelphia and possibly AZ.

This will probably start a whole new side thread, but I view this a bit like TT's pick of AR. Was it a brilliant pick? Yes. But does it automatically make TT the god of evaluating QB's? Not really. Look at his QB drafts since. Had TT discovered a few WR gems outside of the 3rd round, I think that says a lot about his ability to sniff out talent. But all these guys we are talking about; Nelson, Cobb, Jennings and Jones aren't going to make anyone look back in the history of the NFL and say "Wow.....can you believe that TT knew way more then others and grabbed him when he did." Jordy is about the only guy that comes close to that IMO. The discussion, IMO is further muddled by having a FHOF QB throwing them the ball.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

My interpretation would be that somebody was asked (at least these two instances) to name a GM that drafts WRs better than TT, and it's so quiet one can hear the crickets. However, I was wrong once before, so who knows?

You wrong ?????? never !! ;)

Members online

Latest posts