Ted can draft WRs...

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with my many years of Madden experience, building teams... And in light of the fact that Ted Thompson can draft WRs pretty dang good... Im under the assumption that we could trade a player like Cobb, and not miss him.

Here is how I see it.

Nelson anywhere near 100% and we have a #1 Wr again.
Montgomery adds to what we have seen from him as a rookie, and safely takes Cobbs place in the slot.
Adams continues to develop into the play maker that he is.
Then Janis and Abby ready is someone were to go down.

This also opens up a cheap James jones as depth. Or we could add another rookie.

What is Cobbs trade value? 1st rounder for sure. Maybe more?

If we keep the 6 WRs we have now. (nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams, Janis, Abby) We cant even draft one if one drops to us in the draft!?!? Seems crazy that we arent signing a guy like James jones, who would surely play cheap. and consider dropping Abby or Janis, just to be able to draft a wr and bring us back up to 6? Ted is so good at drafting WRs, and we are just going to stop?

OCBP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So with my many years of Madden experience, building teams... And in light of the fact that Ted Thompson can draft WRs pretty dang good... Im under the assumption that we could trade a player like Cobb, and not miss him.

Here is how I see it.

Nelson anywhere near 100% and we have a #1 Wr again.
Montgomery adds to what we have seen from him as a rookie, and safely takes Cobbs place in the slot.
Adams continues to develop into the play maker that he is.
Then Janis and Abby ready is someone were to go down.

This also opens up a cheap James jones as depth. Or we could add another rookie.

What is Cobbs trade value? 1st rounder for sure. Maybe more?

If we keep the 6 WRs we have now. (nelson, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams, Janis, Abby) We cant even draft one if one drops to us in the draft!?!? Seems crazy that we arent signing a guy like James jones, who would surely play cheap. and consider dropping Abby or Janis, just to be able to draft a wr and bring us back up to 6? Ted is so good at drafting WRs, and we are just going to stop?
Pretty easy to draft WR's when you have had Favre and Rodgers throwing to them.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way anyone would give up a 1st round pick for Cobb not sure you could even get a 2nd

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its unfortunate that what we thought we could have had in Cobb is an who I saw in college at CMU that was a mediocre WR, the man from the Steel City: Antonio Brown.. Dangle Cobb for a pick or defense... Adams and Jordy and the clan can take over and be just fine.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way anyone would give up a 1st round pick for Cobb not sure you could even get a 2nd
A proven 2nd round pick who is only like 25 years old? I didnt think it was a question? I wouldnt trade him for a second... Not even a late 1st. top 15 pick id say. or not worth letting him go.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would prob be better to trade Cobb after this upcoming season as I expect him to have a big year statistically which would increase his value

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name one wr who has been traded for a 1st round pick anytime recently let alone a slot receiver. Granted he was injured but what he put on tape last season without Nelson was not very good. I like Cobb he's a very good number 2 wr and a great number 3 but he's not a number 1 and only I very good number 1 would command a first rounder imo

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
definitely agree that there is absolutely no way cobb would be worth a 1st rounder

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No thanks. Everyone on offense had a down year last year, Cobb is integral to this offense and I expect next year us to be vying for a Super Bowl bid, Cobb will be a big part of that.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Did I fall asleep for a few years and just wake up? When did TT become "pretty dang good" at drafting WR's? Nelson yes, Cobb maybe....but beyond that??? Unless I did fall asleep and it isn't 2016, just after the season where most of the current Packers WR's didn't show much at all in the way of top notch talent and the ones who have been drafted by Ted and either didn't make it or left GB haven't shown much either.

Cobb, his contract and the cap hit....traded for a first round?? Really?

I am confused as to where this thread is suppose to be heading?

Last edited:

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is good at making names out of no-names. Freaking Abby is probably the only wr on this team anyone had ever heard of before their name scrolled across the screen during the draft.

D

Deleted member 6794

Geez, another thread that makes you look like a fool.

Trading Cobb this offseason would result in $9.75 million in dead money counting against the Packers cap, an additional $600K compared to keeping him on the roster.

So, even if the Packers get offered a top 15 pick (won't happen) and feel comfortable without their best slot receiver (won't happen either) there's absolutely no way Thompson is going to trade him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a 2 way street between WR and QB and I think they've both helped each other out. People can scream about Jennings and say "see, it's the qb" and they're partly right. But that guy was smooth, in his routes and after he caught the ball, just smooth. didn't even look like he was working half the time and just running past and around guys. Big play after big play. Then he went somewhere they had a qb that couldn't even throw a catchable ball, well there isn't a WR on earth that will flourish under those circumstances.

anyway, we've had some good WR's come thru here. Jordy, Jennings, Jones, Cobb, I think Murphy had the skills to be one as well, but his career was cut short by injury. Pretty much anybody that hasn't been a late round pick has turned out pretty well for this team. Yes part of it is QB, but there's at least 2 parts to every equation.

oh, and trade Cobb? yeah, that wouldn't end up costing us a lot more money for what would most likely be far less production on the field. Great move

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading Cobb this offseason would result in $9.75 million in dead money counting against the Packers cap, an additional $600K compared to keeping him on the roster.

I'll say it again Cap, stop bringing logic to the table.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'll say it again Cap, stop bringing logic to the table.

I have never played Madden Football, so maybe I am wrong, but is there a lot of logic involved with it? Or do you just press *reset* when scenario #486 doesn't work out for you?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have never played Madden Football, so maybe I am wrong, but is there a lot of logic involved with it? Or do you just press *reset* when scenario #486 doesn't work out for you?

I always used to trade for #1 overall and save game just before free agency in off-season. Then if I didn't like any of college prospects at combine, I'd reset game and have new college players to scout. That's how you win championships. Dunno why Ted doesn't try this strat.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well this is what I love (and when I say love I mean hate) about fans sometimes. I'll admit I'm guilty of it as well to a point, but something like trade Cobb is just thrown out there like it's so easy without looking at the big picture. As Captain (and others) pointed out in this case the salary cap ramifications, and the pure ridiculousness of getting a top 15 pick in return for him.

One of the local radio shows where I live had someone about a month ago call in and say "cut Bulaga, move Bahk to RT and just go get a new LT." Like this drives my absolutely insane. Oh, just go get a new LT, and cut a guy who you just resigned one offseason ago, easy peasy.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did I fall asleep for a few years and just wake up? When did TT become "pretty dang good" at drafting WR's?
Before this last season it was widely thought that TT was especially proficient at selecting WRs. A quick rundown of 3rd round or higher picks:

2005 TMurphy. Looked very promising before injury ended career.
2006 G Jennings. Ticked off many when TT didnt get popular name WR early and traded back.
2007. J Jones. Angered fans cuz he had bad hands. Led the league in TDs one year.
2008. J Nelson. Angered fans again. Became an elite guy.
2011 R Cobb. Looks like a good pick.
2014 D Adams. Looked great as a rookie. Will see.
2015. T Montgomery. Looked very good till injury.

Not a bust in the bunch, so far. And I think most of these were much better than expected. I would say TT has had more success than most GMs when it comes to WRs. I dont think you can attribute that entirely to Aaron Rodgers either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Before this last season it was widely thought that TT was especially proficient at selecting WRs. A quick rundown of 3rd round or higher picks:

2005 TMurphy. Looked very promising before injury ended career.
2006 G Jennings. Ticked off many when TT didnt get popular name WR early and traded back.
2007. J Jones. Angered fans cuz he had bad hands. Led the league in TDs one year.
2008. J Nelson. Angered fans again. Became an elite guy.
2011 R Cobb. Looks like a good pick.
2014 D Adams. Looked great as a rookie. Will see.
2015. T Montgomery. Looked very good till injury.

Not a bust in the bunch, so far. And I think most of these were much better than expected. I would say TT has had more success than most GMs when it comes to WRs. I dont think you can attribute that entirely to Aaron Rodgers either.

Not quite sure how you can include Terrence Murphy in the list, but ok.

Hard not to think that both Greg Jennings and James Jones saw their better years in the Packer system and with Aaron Rodgers throwing to them.

Davante Adams?

I do realize you said 3rd round picks or higher, but if you want to truly evaluate TT's ability to scout and draft WR's, IMO the discussion should also include players picked in later rounds, since this is a better indication of ability to truly find talent where nobody else does. Had TT picked a few gems with later picks, I would agree with calling him a good judge of WR talent. But the higher picks are the ones that most teams expect and usually do have a decent NFL career.

Craig Bragg
Cory Rodgers
David Clowney
Brett Swain
Kevin Dorsey
Charles Johnson
Jared Abbrederis
Jeff Janis

Sorry, I'm not sold that TT is some kind of WR draft Guru because he hit on Jordy and maybe Cobb and Montgomery. If you follow the careers of the WR's (drafted or undrafted) that have left the Packers in the last 10 years, there isn't much telling me that they were great picks.

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not sold that TT is some kind of WR draft Guru because he hit on Jordy and maybe Cobb and Montgomery. If you follow the careers of the WR's (drafted or undrafted) that have left the Packers in the last 10 years, there isn't much telling me that they were great picks.
I'm a little surprised to see a Packers fan who doesn't recognize Thompson's acumen at drafting WRs. The run of Murphy, Jennings, Jones, Nelson and Cobb over 7 drafts is impressive IMO. And none were first rounders. But then dismissing Jennings and Jones makes no sense to me. Jennings foolishly went to a team with QBs who ranked 25th and 28th in QB rating in '13; 22nd in '14 and all the way up to 21st in '15 with the Dolphins. What would his numbers have looked like with an average - or above average passing QB? And what's not to like about third rounder Jones? He led the Raiders in receptions in '14. But then you're right about later round choices sucking. And hey what about UDFA WRs, they really sucked! BTW, do you have another GM in mind who has done a better job drafting WRs?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not quite sure how you can include Terrence Murphy in the list, but ok.

Hard not to think that both Greg Jennings and James Jones saw their better years in the Packer system and with Aaron Rodgers throwing to them.

Davante Adams?

I do realize you said 3rd round picks or higher, but if you want to evaluate TT's ability to draft WR's, IMO the discussion should also include the following players.

Craig Bragg
Cory Rodgers
David Clowney
Brett Swain
Kevin Dorsey
Charles Johnson
Jared Abbrederis
Jeff Janis

??? if you're going to judge GM's on their 6th and 7th rounders I think you'll find most fail almost all the time. I don't know how anyone could argue with the success at pass catchers taken for this team in the past decade. and how could you not include Murphy? the guy looked every bit the part of an NFL receiver with good hands and much like Jennings, very smooth. yeah, his very young career was derailed before it could even start. A better question would be, How could you begin to hold a pick like that against a GM? young, very promising draft pick has career ended by freak neck injury and it somehow reflects poorly on the GM?

Put CJ with a guy named Christian Ponder, and I have a hard believing he puts up even 80% of career averages. The guy barely had it when he was a rookie and quickly lost all confidence in his ability and his play was a downhill race to the finish. James Jones caught 20 more balls with a rookie QB than he did with Rodgers. 6TD's for a WR is not world beating, but it's decent. More than he had the previous year with GB by double. I'd say his short time away showed he can play.

I just have a real hard time grasping how anybody would make an argument, that GB hasn't been very good with adding pass catching talent to the roster

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW, do you have another GM in mind who has done a better job drafting WRs?
And when you consider how late in the draft we pick, it is all the more impressive.

For a better perspective on the matter, select a great team like the Patriots and see how there WRs stack up.

Aaron Dobson, Taylor Price, Brandon Tate, and Chad Jackson.

Thats all. And only one, tate, had some success. I didnt cherry pick a team, just went with a similar situation of a great QB and drafting late in the first.

Members online

Latest posts