1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

Tecmo Super Bowl III Final Edition

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by Bogart, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871
    Can't believe I never played this version of Tecmo, it is really bad ***

Better graphics, better plays, better in depth playbooks with a good selection of plays to chose from, but it's not as good as the first Tecmo on SNES.

Playing a season with the Packers, you have Robert Brooks and Mark Ingram to throw the ball to. No Andre Rison or Antonio Freeman, Mark Chruma is a back up TE that is not nearly as fast as the no named starter you begin with.

The defense of course is anchored by Reggie White, who unfortunately isn't as powerful as he was in TSB 1 for the SNES.

Also been playing with the 49ers, who have a broken down roster of their 1994 team. No Ricky Watters, no Deion Sanders, no William Floyd, but surpisngly John Taylor is in the game, but he's a back up WR to Jerry Rice. I'm just assuming that was an error in the game, cause I don't remember Taylor ever being a back up at the end of his career. This team also is not nearly as great or talented as the original Tecmo game for SNES. Young is still great, but the defense isn't as good.

Going against my will, I played 3 games with the Vikings, Steelers, and Lions and their teams are far better than the other TSB games. The Vikings have Warren Moon, which is the only reason I played with them. Moon can throw bombs just like the other games, but he don't have near the talent surrounding him as the Houston rosters did, Chris Carter is the only guy that can really catch. The defense has John Randle, but that's about it. As far as the Lions go, I really dominated with this team. Running it with Barry Sanders, and relying on some quick fast passes from Scott Mitchell (Not a QB I like playing with). But their defense is something else, great pressure on the QB with rushes. The Steelers, whom I also played with, their offense is slightly good compared to the other guy, but not much of a difference, it's just how you play with them. Their defense is the same unit that lost the Super Bowl against the Cowboys, so you know they are good. I had 3 Kick off returns for a TD with Rod Woodson and I even had a pick 6 returned with him, so far my favorite CB in the game.

Then comes to the broken down teams that suck. Buffalo Bills still have Jim Kelly, but they are no where near as good as the team on the other game that lost 4 Super Bowls. The Saints REALLY suck on this game! Jim Everrett is the starting QB, and he can be far worse than Wade Wilson was in the other game. I will never bitch and moan about Wilson throwing picks in the original Tecmo game. The defense gives up gobs of points, and are really bad, (which kills me cause I argue that in the original Tecmo game for the Super Nintendo, the Saints have the best defensive unit in the entire game) The Oilers are also a broken down crappy team under Chris Chandler, the defense still has the 2 big play makers; Ray Childress and Chris Dishman, but overall they suck without Moon. Another great team on the original game was Kansas City who had the nameless QB Chiefs (Whom I think was supposed to be Joe Montana) and a defense anchored by Derrick Thomas and Niel Smith. The Chiefs on this game SUCK BAD! No QB Chiefs, instead you have Steve Bono, who is average at best, Marcus Allen for some reason is very bad in this game, and the WR's constantly drop passes. The Saints Defense went from a top 3 to a bad unit in this game, but the Chiefs can't do jack without Derrick Thomas on this team (My number 1 LB in the other Tecmo)

Oh and of course, the Dallas Cowboys absolutely murder everyone in this game, just as they did in the other one. Michael Irvin is moved to the 2nd WR, and for some reason he's not the best WR on this team. instead of Alvin Harper you have Williams, who is better than Irvin and a HUGE deep threat when it comes to airing it out. Unlike the other game where Dallas was actually beatable, they are insanely hard to beat in this game with a crappy team, and are a huge challenge (as they should be)

Overall I love this version of Tecmo for being the 1995 season, but it's not as special as the 1992 original SNES game. I will get used to it though. This is actually pretty funny, but with the other Tecmo I used to play seasons with the worst teams I could pick and actually take them far in the playoffs. I took Steve DeBerg and went from throwing INT's to 3 TD's a game and I brought the Buc's to a 12-4 record and to the NFC Championship (where I lost to San Francisco), and I also took the Rams who had one of the worst defenses in the game to a 12-4 record, and some how some way, I managed to take Jeff George's Colts to a 13-3 record, and to the Super Bowl (in which I lost off his 3 INT's)

We'll see what crappy teams I bring to the playoffs in Tecmo Super Bowl III Final Edition, and right now I am working a season with the Chiefs very bad defense

2. SanDiegoCheese

SanDiegoCheese West Coast Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +184
    Nice! I've never played that version either. I love the first two though, Bo Jackson and Christian Okoye were total Beasts in those games.

3. Bogart

Bogart Duke Mantee

Ratings:
    +871

You'll have to play this one, but unfortunately no Christian Okoye :(
    There is Marcus Allen but for some reason they made him very slow in this game.

4. DixiePacker

DixiePacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    Lol Clay Travis talks about having a Tecmo bowl super bowl contest. I ain't seen or played that game in years