Tebow better off with packers?

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tebow would take over the leadership role on offense away from Rodgers? I don’t think so. Rodgers is an elite NFL QB and (probably) the consensus in the league is Tebow isn’t an NFL QB at all. How could Tebow assume any kind of leadership role? And BTW, the vocal leader on defense when Jenkins was on the team was Charles Woodson. IMO the Packers’ last problem is a lack of leadership, vocal or otherwise. “Literally” walk? That would be extremely foolish. The organization brings in players all the time. What would they have in mind for Tebow if they brought him in? A position change, perhaps? A backup QB?

I don’t doubt Tebow’s best chance to be a legit NFL QB would be with a team like the Packers, but I’m not concerned with Tebow’s career or development so I’d rather the Packers train QBs with a better chance at becoming legit NFL QBs. IMO Tebow is a player without a position in the NFL. If he doesn’t have an NFL arm which position best suits him? What makes Tebow “obnoxious”?

IMO Tebow isn’t good enough to “have an NFL number” and he’s certainly not a better backup to Rodgers than Harrell. [/quote
By dismissing him as a football player without a position and referring to him as someone that GB has no interest in developing, aren't you making my argument for me? And unless I'm missing something like a rule that states a player opting out of his contract has to sit a year, if Rodgers did walk he'd be out of work for about 20 minutes. The thought of even considering Tebow and all the crap that comes with him is an astoundingly bad idea for any team with an above average QB, and sheer lunacy for an organization that has an Elite QB like Rodgers !!

H

HardRightEdge

Why are we talking about this guy? He can't throw a spiral; his mechanics are irreparable.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
...aren't you making my argument for me?
No I’m definitely not making your argument for you. I’ve seen the word “literally” misused often and that’s why I put it in quotes when I responded to your post. But you appear to have meant it correctly so IMO that post and your most recent displays a fundamental misunderstanding of NFL contracts. If any player could opt out of his contract and sign with another team in “20 minutes”, chaos would reign in the NFL. Think about all the players unhappy with their current deals – why don’t they just “opt out”? The answer is they can’t. For example, Rodgers is signed through the 2014 season. If he decides to literally walk - to not to show up for work - he could be fined daily by the Packers for his absence and his contract would be “frozen” such that the Packers would retain his rights for 2 seasons plus the 2 games remaining in this regular season. Unless the Packers trade him or waive him, Rodgers has to play for them through 2014 or he can’t play in the NFL. So your suggestion would be the most idiotic action Rodgers could take in objecting to the acquisition of a player the Packers may view as a TE (or ILB for all I know).

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Admittedly I don't know what the current NFL policy is regarding players honoring their contracts. Looks like you do. However, if Rodgers was put into the situation of having to deal with Tebow and the circus that comes with him, I'd walk if circumstances allowed it. Some players are so valuable to their respective teams that they shouldn't have to deal with the whimsies of a GM that puts the sale of jerseys ahead of the ultimate objective of the team. We're fortunate to be Packer fans in that sense. Can't say the same for Jet fans.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Admittedly I don't know what the current NFL policy is regarding players honoring their contracts. Looks like you do. However, if Rodgers was put into the situation of having to deal with Tebow and the circus that comes with him, I'd walk if circumstances allowed it. Some players are so valuable to their respective teams that they shouldn't have to deal with the whimsies of a GM that puts the sale of jerseys ahead of the ultimate objective of the team. We're fortunate to be Packer fans in that sense. Can't say the same for Jet fans.
What you meant is you'd ask for a release/trade and walk at your earliest ability

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What you meant is you'd ask for a release/trade and walk at your earliest ability

Exactly.Asking for a release=walking. If no release demand a trade and if no trade was granted, walk. But that's just me. I'm not a fan of Tebow. He's probably a fine person, but I'm not a fan of someone who feels it's necessary to impose their religious beliefs into situations or onto people unsolicited.Never mind the fact that he's just not that talented.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Asking for a release=walking. If no release demand a trade and if no trade was granted, walk. But that's just me.

The term “ignorant” gets a bad rap. Some use it as a synonym for “stupid” but it’s not. It means “lacking knowledge”, not an inability to process information. Since no one possesses all knowledge, all of us are ignorant regarding some subjects. So being ignorant really isn’t a pejorative but IMO not changing your opinion after learning pertinent information is foolish. You admit you didn’t know what the “current NFL policy is regarding players honoring their contracts.” Frankly I’m not sure how a serious NFL fan wouldn’t recognize that players can’t switch teams on a whim since holdouts and contract disputes have been widely publicized for several decades, but OK, you didn’t know. But now you do and you still stick with the idea Rodgers should walk if the Packers sign Tebow? (Since you equate walking with asking for his release.)
One of the reasons Tebow is as big a distraction as he is with the Jets is the Jets don’t have an NFL starting quality QB. But that's obviously not the case in Green Bay: No serious NFL fan would view Tebow as a challenger to Rodgers. No more than Flynn was. No more than Harrell or the rookie QB they acquire next spring will be. Its no secret Rodgers is among the top tier of NFL QBs. Rodgers knows it. The Packers and the vast majority of their fans know it. Every fan who has general knowledge of the NFL knows it. Hell, even Tim Tebow knows it.

A lot of people don’t like Tebow because he wears his Christian beliefs on this sleeve. I get that: Although Christians have a mandate to proselytize I would prefer Tebow and other public figures adhere to this quote from Matthew 6:5-6 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. Butwhen you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” So I wasn’t a big fan of “Tebowing”. OTOH if the entertainment business, professional sports, and more particularly the NFL were filled with more “too public” Christians and fewer thugs (however you define that) I’d be all for it.

I also understand the concern that the “circus” that followed Tebow from Denver to New York could come to Green Bay. Unless Tebow finds a more prominent role on a team my guess is that circus will die down. But the “circus” is hardly new to Aaron Rodgers: Remember when he assumed the starting job, he experienced the worst of Packer “fandom”. He had so-called Packers fans booing him even though he had nothing to do with the Favre-made mess except getting better and better at his job. He has said he even had a "fan" yell “F… you” to his face. The class and poise exhibited by Rodgers during that time foreshadowed how he’d handle the starting QB job. The “Tebow circus” pales in comparison.

Since Tebow would pose no threat at all to Rodgers – he’ll struggle to find a starting spot in the league – the juvenile action you suggest for Rodgers would make him look selfish and stupid. As if he were the only player having to deal with the circus. If Rodgers asked for his release because the Packers signed Tebow he’d be the laughingstock of the league. And he would deserve to be. Thank goodness Rodgers is too mature and knowledgeable to make such a foolish decision.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Right now we need an experienced backup. Tebow would be better than Harrell since he has started and won games, including a playoff game - at least he would have a chance of winning a game should Rodgers go down. But quite honestly his mechanics are not NFL quality and it appears that they will not improve much. So he would fit the bill as a backup-only, but not as a QB that could possibly be groomed for the future or trade value. Gotta give him credit - in what little QB talent he has (other than option/run/scramble plays), he sure makes the most of it and seems to have no fear in pressure situations.
But isn`t that a bit of an extravagance, if Rodgers doesn`t go down injured ??? Myself personally, I`d sooner see some more experienced back ups on the offensive line Protecting the QB. Just my opinion of course

The Rivalry

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The term “ignorant” gets a bad rap. Some use it as a synonym for “stupid” but it’s not. It means “lacking knowledge”, not an inability to process information. Since no one possesses all knowledge, all of us are ignorant regarding some subjects. So being ignorant really isn’t a pejorative but IMO not changing your opinion after learning pertinent information is foolish. You admit you didn’t know what the “current NFL policy is regarding players honoring their contracts.” Frankly I’m not sure how a serious NFL fan wouldn’t recognize that players can’t switch teams on a whim since holdouts and contract disputes have been widely publicized for several decades, but OK, you didn’t know. But now you do and you still stick with the idea Rodgers should walk if the Packers sign Tebow? (Since you equate walking with asking for his release.)
One of the reasons Tebow is as big a distraction as he is with the Jets is the Jets don’t have an NFL starting quality QB. But that's obviously not the case in Green Bay: No serious NFL fan would view Tebow as a challenger to Rodgers. No more than Flynn was. No more than Harrell or the rookie QB they acquire next spring will be. Its no secret Rodgers is among the top tier of NFL QBs. Rodgers knows it. The Packers and the vast majority of their fans know it. Every fan who has general knowledge of the NFL knows it. Hell, even Tim Tebow knows it.

A lot of people don’t like Tebow because he wears his Christian beliefs on this sleeve. I get that: Although Christians have a mandate to proselytize I would prefer Tebow and other public figures adhere to this quote from Matthew 6:5-6 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. Butwhen you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.” So I wasn’t a big fan of “Tebowing”. OTOH if the entertainment business, professional sports, and more particularly the NFL were filled with more “too public” Christians and fewer thugs (however you define that) I’d be all for it.

I also understand the concern that the “circus” that followed Tebow from Denver to New York could come to Green Bay. Unless Tebow finds a more prominent role on a team my guess is that circus will die down. But the “circus” is hardly new to Aaron Rodgers: Remember when he assumed the starting job, he experienced the worst of Packer “fandom”. He had so-called Packers fans booing him even though he had nothing to do with the Favre-made mess except getting better and better at his job. He has said he even had a "fan" yell “F… you” to his face. The class and poise exhibited by Rodgers during that time foreshadowed how he’d handle the starting QB job. The “Tebow circus” pales in comparison.

Since Tebow would pose no threat at all to Rodgers – he’ll struggle to find a starting spot in the league – the juvenile action you suggest for Rodgers would make him look selfish and stupid. As if he were the only player having to deal with the circus. If Rodgers asked for his release because the Packers signed Tebow he’d be the laughingstock of the league. And he would deserve to be. Thank goodness Rodgers is too mature and knowledgeable to make such a foolish decision.
We get it...You love to hear yourself talk, or read the the volumes you post on something as trivial and as mildly entertaining as an NFL message board. If it's alright with you, I'll maintain my position.

I

Can I ask a question please ?? When I attended a game at Lambeau in 2004, I was a bit shocked to see players from both sides kneeling on the 50 yd line, obviously engaged in prayer. My friend told me at the time that there is a big Christian thing going on in the NFL which doesn`t get too much coverage on the T.V.
I`ve noticed that James Jones seems to say a prayer if and when he scores a TD. My question is "Why is Tebow so MORE noticed or talked about than other players ?".
Just asking a serious question here, and not trying to pick an arguement or anything.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Can I ask a question please ?? When I attended a game at Lambeau in 2004, I was a bit shocked to see players from both sides kneeling on the 50 yd line, obviously engaged in prayer. My friend told me at the time that there is a big Christian thing going on in the NFL which doesn`t get too much coverage on the T.V.
I`ve noticed that James Jones seems to say a prayer if and when he scores a TD. My question is "Why is Tebow so MORE noticed or talked about than other players ?".
Just asking a serious question here, and not trying to pick an arguement or anything.
Because he's obnoxious in the promotion of his beliefs with a unique skill set that does not include the orthodox staple skills for the position he wishes to play, yet still has met some success. You didn't hear people complain about Reggie White's religious vocality (or at least I didn't)

I

Because he's obnoxious in the promotion of his beliefs with a unique skill set that does not include the orthodox staple skills for the position he wishes to play, yet still has met some success. You didn't hear people complain about Reggie White's religious vocality (or at least I didn't)
But wasn`t Reggie a bit religiously outspoken about **** ? I thought I read that somewhere. Again, purely my own opinion of course but as long as somebody isn`t bible thumping, should their religious beliefs be such an issue anyway ?

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
But wasn`t Reggie a bit religiously outspoken about **** ? I thought I read that somewhere. Again, purely my own opinion of course but as long as somebody isn`t bible thumping, should their religious beliefs be such an issue anyway ?
Homosexual Rights Movement didn't really gain popularity until the late 90's, so it wasn't as big a deal then. Heck nobody cared when Klewe decided to voice his opinion either, how long did THAT controversy last, like a week or so? You are correct, there is a right way and a wrong way to present your religion. You can be respectful while disagreeing. One of the big problems is that modern Christians tend to view people who do it the wrong way as champions of the faith, boldly standing up for what is right. It makes me cringe when I hear the teens at church say such things, labeling him as a modern Che Guerva of Christianity (because Che was such a nice guy, SMH Hipsters) but I digress, and this is not the place to discuss the cultural shift of modern Christianity. The main fact was, Reggie was great, and when you're great, people are willing to look past your so called flaws. Especially when you keep the proper atmosphere.

I

Homosexual Rights Movement didn't really gain popularity until the late 90's, so it wasn't as big a deal then. Heck nobody cared when Klewe decided to voice his opinion either, how long did THAT controversy last, like a week or so? You are correct, there is a right way and a wrong way to present your religion. You can be respectful while disagreeing. One of the big problems is that modern Christians tend to view people who do it the wrong way as champions of the faith, boldly standing up for what is right. It makes me cringe when I hear the teens at church say such things, labeling him as a modern Che Guerva of Christianity (because Che was such a nice guy, SMH Hipsters) but I digress, and this is not the place to discuss the cultural shift of modern Christianity. The main fact was, Reggie was great, and when you're great, people are willing to look past your so called flaws. Especially when you keep the proper atmosphere.

Totally agree with you on the Reggie thing Hyp. We tend to see things more or less the same way here regarding the openly christian thing. I should rephrase that, we recognise and hopefully respect peoples right to HAVE religious beliefs, just maybe not ram them down peoples throat. The problem is that some see ANY religious beliefs as bible bashing and NOT acceptable.
As a onetime practising churchgoer,( Not, a bible thumper I might add), I suppose I see Tebow SLIGHTLY differently, although in fairness I dont have all the facts as OUR Nfl news can be sketchy to say the least.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If it's alright with you, I'll maintain my position.
Hey, your doubling down on your maintained ignorance is fine with me. That’s what’s great about the US: We’re free - even to hold opinions based upon incorrect information, even publically so. And it’s plain to see why you advocate juvenile behavior for others.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts