Teams go 9-7 for a reason

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
OK, let's say you beat us and go on to compete in the Super Bowl again. The way things are going for you guys in the Tempt Destiny billboard competition you guys are trailing and stands to lose. My question is this, why is it when you guys have the billboard you go on to win the Super Bowl, and when you don't you lose the Super Bowl?

It is YOU who should not be so confident!
The billboard is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the outcome of the game.

Then again I'm a skeptic when it comes to concepts like luck, karma, jinxing, etc.

nyghater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The billboard is irrelevant and has nothing to do with the outcome of the game. Then again I'm a skeptic when it comes to concepts like luck, karma, jinxing, etc.

Shhhhh... don't tell the Giants fans that. On the TD site they mentioned superstition:

Superstition and Luck: It is easier to think that some things happen because of luck and that we have no control over such things, i.e., indirect selection. This mind set leaves the door open for superstitious unexplainable associations. If you wish to ignore the empirical evidence and what it infers and only go by such associations, then the following facts will be of interest:
  • The Giants or Saints have never won a SB without a Tempt Destiny billboard.
  • Each time a team initially rejects this gift of support (yes, the billboards are done for FREE), it is followed by that team losing the SB. To date, there has been three such rejections, NYG, PHI, PIT.
  • Despite having eleven annual opportunities for 31 other teams to be featured on the TD billboard of choice, only one team has been featured?
The first two can easily be discounted as coincidence. The latter association, now that one I find most intriguing because it raises the question - is this event a certainty only for NYG and only a probability for all others?

... looks like there may be more things happening other than destiny?

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of retarted comments, see your post...

My post is perfectly logical. If the packers show up and play defense it doesn't matter what manning does. I don't get why so many of you are having such a hard time with that concept. It's pretty simple. Either the packers are going to: a) shut him down and score a ton of points; b) allow a Tom of yards and score more points; c) shut him down and get shut down; or d) get shut down and get torched.

The negative scenarios for the packers involve leaky defense or good giant defense. Manning doesn't scare me a bit. His effectiveness or lack thereof is a direct function of whether the packers defense shows up to play. Thus, I don't care what he does. Only whether the defense shows up to stop him.

N

NYGIANTS141

My post is perfectly logical. If the packers show up and play defense it doesn't matter what manning does. I don't get why so many of you are having such a hard time with that concept. It's pretty simple. Either the packers are going to: a) shut him down and score a ton of points; b) allow a Tom of yards and score more points; c) shut him down and get shut down; or d) get shut down and get torched.

The negative scenarios for the packers involve leaky defense or good giant defense. Manning doesn't scare me a bit. His effectiveness or lack thereof is a direct function of whether the packers defense shows up to play. Thus, I don't care what he does. Only whether the defense shows up to stop him.

And if both teams show up and we win in a nail biting shootout?

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the packers to contend with that is. Rodgers play is number 1 for the packers, but that's because he's a superstar and not a liability.

N

NYGIANTS141

Not at all. Eli is maybe factor 4 in this game. 1) packers defense; 2) giants defense; 3) giants run game; 4) Eli

I guess that you didn't realize Eli has carried this team on his back when the defense and run game were both nonexistent. I would think he's a big factor by now.

Farvetowebster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we show up he won't be in position to lead a game winning drive. If he does I guess we didn't show up to play. Thus, I dont care what Eli does, only what the packers do (or don't do) to stop him. Manning is a manufactured "star" when the media needs an east coast icon other than brady. I've yet to see him do anything (including 2007-2008) that convinces me otherwise.
Your comment about Eli being a manufactured east coast star shows me a number of things..first you dont watch a lot of giants games which is fine, your a packer fan, second you are just a packers fan, your not a football fan and seem to know very little about the game like quite a few on here, and third you have issues with the east coast because you feel inferior.

nyghater

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your comment about Eli being a manufactured east coast star shows me a number of things..first you dont watch a lot of giants games which is fine, your a packer fan, second you are just a packers fan, your not a football fan and seem to know very little about the game like quite a few on here, and third you have issues with the east coast because you feel inferior.

OUCH!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Please, you're circling around what I'm saying. Look at this thread:

"Teams go 9-7 for a reason: That is all I have to say about the Giants this week"

It is inferring, in a very condescending manner, that the Giants are nothing and the Pack will roll through them just like any other bad team. If a Falcon fan last year said teams go 10-6 for a reason with the same post, you'd take it as a personal hit against your team, AND YOU KNOW THAT. So please, don't try to tell me that it isn't disrespectful, it is. WoodChipper clearly thinks nothing about the Giants, and its ironic that he thinks Giants' fans are disrespectful when the thread he created is hypocritical in itself.

I have seen giant fans making same claims that is pissing you off right now..

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/...e-packers-are-going-to-win.34096/#post-424217

Here are just some examples that took me 2 minutes to find

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/official-giants-packer-talk.33564/page-37#post-424044

meyerbudNYG said:
thats fair, but I think we had more significant players come back and it was a 3 point game. And the biggest part about the players coming back is that they are all back to defend the strongest aspect of the packers game which is their passing offense​

longtimefan said:

Why is it you think your missing players and way more important that ours?

We have two pro bowl lineman playing this game and along with possible a HOF corner in Woodson..Regardless if you got beat for a Td in last game, ALL players have a a bad game right?

Not to mention we were with out two starting lb and rookies had to take their place..

I just dont get it..

http://www.packerforum.com/threads/official-giants-packer-talk.33564/page-13#post-422460
GiantsFan2012 said:
Why don't you give me a list of all tv shows, movies, and books you've read so I can make sure my next reference meets the guidelines. =]​
Why are people making such a big deal out of who has more healthy guys back this time around? Neither team was without their QB, that's all that really matters. Our last meeting has no bearing on this game besides letting the Giants know they can hang with GB, and letting GB know that our best shot (so far) wasn't good enough.​
IMO, the injury stuff is lame. None of us know if those injured guys would have had a great game, a rare off game, or been a non-factor.​
longtimefan said:

I am just giving ya hard time..Chilax!!

We keep hearing how your d-l are healthy and will be all over the place.....

We have our best lineman back for this game..We didnt have them for the last game..They do have an impact on how well Rodgers is protected from your d-l..

That is why I am making a big deal out of it....No one is making mention of it, it is like only your d=l being healthy is important...

I have been mentioning it for DAYS now that we were being disrespected..

And if it is only Wood that is doing this, please do not pass judgment on the entire forum for his lack of respect. Call him out, but dont lump all of us in with Woodchipper

UCSB616

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I grew up in southern California and married a girl from the GB area. I live in the dump that is the east coast for 6 more months. Trust me, I have absolutely nothing to feel inferior about. I also watch nearly every game of the nfl season on Sunday ticket replay. About all you got right was that I'm a packers fan. Have fun getting blown out today. Was nice to see your fans being typical east coast garbage at stadium view last night. Made me hate all of you even more.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
no - ur not the exception

Giants 07, Patriots 01, Rams 99 its been a third of the superbowl winners of the past 12 years that have the same story that got hot late

how many wildcard superbowll winners have we had in the past 10 years?
About the same number as teams that had a first round bye. 3.

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Question to Giants fans...what did happen in that Redskins game at the end of the year? I didn't watch it but was wondering what they did to win that so convincingly. Wanna know what the Packers should be doing today.

Obviously you all have seen the Packers loss to KC as an indication of ways to beat the Pack...just curious what you would have to say.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Question to Giants fans...what did happen in that Redskins game at the end of the year? I didn't watch it but was wondering what they did to win that so convincingly. Wanna know what the Packers should be doing today.

Obviously you all have seen the Packers loss to KC as an indication of ways to beat the Pack...just curious what you would have to say.
I can tell you how to beat the Packers. It's easy in theory, harder in reality. First you have to make sure your offense keeps the ball as much as possible. Long sustained drives with a score at the end. No score is just useless. Second, your D has to get pressure on Rodgers with just the 3-4 down lineman. And, you have to make sure you limit the long ball. Keep the Packers WR's covered man to man with no mistakes. If you can do all that, you can beat them.

BackingJPP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Be a sore loser then in your pool of pity. See if we care.

To the classy Packer fans: Good Game.

To the Packer fans that insult New Yorkers, the East Coast, and the Giants: Your tears taste sooooo good. PEACE

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember we were 8-6 last year, won our final 2 to get in.
The Giants were 7-7 this year, won their final 2 to get in.
Is that really that much different, other than the fact that it was us then, and them now?
Honestly......
Unfortunately, no it wasn't much difference, our 10-6 vs their 9-7.... records mean SCHIT.
It's like the stock market.
Just cuz a stock went up this week or that month or that year, doesn't mean CRAP once I buy it.
It usually somehow goes down after I buy it.

I wrote an article a month or so ago that said we should move our home playoff game(s) to Miami because this team is not assembled for cold weather.

I grew up in that cold climate and even though it could have been worse today up there, it was still a wind chill off what, 15 degrees?

Anyone here ever get frostbite like I have?
That cold affected my hands, my fingers......

We had 6 fumbles all season in 16 games, when the weather was warmer than this. And we had 3 today? Really?
Kuhn had never fumbled before (and he's from PA), but he loses the feel on one today? Really?
Jennings is from Michigan, and he dropped a TD today? Wow.
Finley had a drop, but most of his were bad throws by Rodgers.... Rodgers missed a wide open Jennings early or else it was a mis-communication....

I hate the cold weather and this team should dome that damn thing up in January if we ever get home playoff games again.

We can't win home playoff games anymore, whereas the Saints can't win road ones. Ironic because those were the top 2 teams everyone expected to be in the NFC Title game, and neither made it.
Just like in 2007 when the Giants also out-colded us.
So sickening.

Might hibernate for months now.... have a good winter people. Stay safe in that arctic climate.

ram29jackson

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth is,.. in the parity era being 9-7 is no different than 12 or 13 wins or what ever...and did you forget that the Pack won the Super Bowl last year on pretty much the same road the Giants are on now? Ever since massive free agency started,you have no clue how good or bad a team is and you can get a hot streak in the playoffs...all the injured Giants came back and were rested and kept rolling against Atlanta while the Pack got lazy for a week. Thats never helpful.

Look, if you cant tell, I am a Packers fan ! but I am also a sports fan in general and knew this game was a trap for the pack since they only beat NY barely by 3 during season and you people should know by now that playing Coughlin twice in the same season is a bad idea LOL.

But thats fine..my original thought was that who ever won this game would be the SB champ and I still feel this way.

now alot of you should know for next year, if a team is bottom 5 in defense, dont count on them for anything.

that said, SF 49ers allowed 435 yards passing in the Saints game and they are considwered a good defense? LOL
thats the skewed logic of the parity era and the new passing rules....

the Pack better find a defense, because next year Detroit will be a pain in the ***. And for all you know, The Bears might actually find a QB for once....

Members online

Latest posts