Teams are 29-5 when a runningback gains 100 yards

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read an article today that stated:

"Through Sunday's games, NFL teams are 29-5 when in possession of a running back who gains 100 yards. It's the closest you'll get in this league to a sure-fire victory."

We didn't have a 100 yard back Sunday, but the O-line and Davenport seemed to run more effectively in the first half against the Saints than they did in any previous game this season. To me the lack of a running game has been the biggest weakness we have had so far this year, and why we haven't been able to win as many games up to this point.

A lot of people in the media keep pointing to Favre getting older, but I think it's Green and Flanagan who have slowed down. It's been a long time since Green rushed for over 100 yards. With Wells and Davenport in there, I thought the Packers had an effective rushing attack that at least kept the defense honest Sunday. The Saints had to honor the run, which in turn made Favre's rollouts and play fakes more effective.

It's too bad Davenport is injured again after earning a game ball for his efforts against the Saints. And when Flanagan comes back, we either need him to be 100% healthy, or leave Wells in there, because I didn't think Flanagan was very effective the first 4 games he played.

Our defense isn't dominating, but it has played better than last season. And Favre is still Favre in my opinion. I think it's the running game that has had the biggest dropoff in productivity. That's why I'm hoping the O-line can continue to improve a little each week to get the running game going, because I really think it's the key to how well the Packers do the rest of the season. If the running game can get back on track, I still think we have a chance in the weak NFC north.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams run more when they are ahead and less when behind. If running is effective it is less risky than passing and more running plays are likely to be called.

The same old lines from before Lombardi are still true. Every coach will speak about them in their press conferences:

Turnovers will kill you.
You have to be able to run the ball.
You have to be able to stop the run.

These will be true in 2020 as they were in 1950.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts